• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster Review Thread

Eurogamer - Recommended

This leads to the question of for whom this re-master is for, exactly. By 2003 Resident Evil was an acquired taste. Today this style of game design has vanished. In part, that's because the tangled, repetitive design was probably too divisive to sustain a sufficient audience. It's still possible to perceive, however, the kernel of the series' early, glimmering appeal, which made the games such notable peaks in the medium's landscape for a time. Of all the early Resident Evil games, there is none better to showcase its idiosyncratic charm than this one, an accolade owed to the ingenuity of its dual-protagonist design, and the melancholic allure of its forsaken locales.

TechRaptor - 8.5

Resident Evil Zero HD takes us back to before the mansion incident of Resident Evil. It not only fills in some holes in the timeline, but also creates a fun experience full of puzzles and tense fights against an undead foe. Whether you’ve played it in the past or are new to the franchise and want to experience it for the first time, this is a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

God Is a Geek - 8.5/10

Resident Evil 0 is a reminder of how great the series once was complete with a whole host of improvements that make it well worth returning for. If you’ve never played the game before or if you’ve never stepped foot in the franchise, this is the perfect place to start. It may feel a little dated at times, especially if you’re used to horror games like Until Dawn or The Evil Within, but this series played a major part in their creation and without Resident Evil, these wouldn’t exist.

Push Square - 8/10

Resident Evil Zero not only feels fresh 14 years after its original release, but it also showcases a superb remastering effort. A methodical game which truly rewards deep thought, this survival horror classic stands tall in genre that's been streamlined a little too much in recent times. If you've never played 'Becca and Billy's escapade, then there's never been a better opportunity. And for those who have survived the nightmare before, the new modes and graphical upgrades mean that there's plenty of reason to climb aboard.

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5

Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster is a fantastic reworking of a solid entry into the mainline series. While there are still glaring issues with its narrative and repetitive progression formula, it’s not as if Capcom was aiming to completely remake the game from the ground up. The visuals have been cleaned up nicely, giving stronger atmosphere to the already tense set of events. Capcom has even gone as far as to create an additional mode that adds not only an aesthetic change for Billy and Rebecca, but establishes a couple of new abilities at the same time.

The new control scheme works great in the remaster, as well, although it can get finicky with some of the unfortunate camera angles. With all the enhancements in visuals and gameplay elements, Capcom has not only set a precedent for how remasters should be done, but helped excel Resident Evil 0 into being a far more enjoyable horror experience.

GamesRadar - 3.5/5

But while it takes a long time to get used to the game's annoying hangovers from '90s design, eventually you will develop a tolerance. And when you do, Zero is still a very good creepy puzzler. It's perfect for playing late at night, under a blanket with headphones on while it rains outside. That's probably not good for your psyche, mind - personally I still have 'combining ammo in preparation' zombie dreams from years of playing games with this system in the late '90s. You do a lot of inventory management here and it may have an effect on you for the rest of your life. Just saying.

It's bittersweet to say there will never be another Resident Evil game like this one - it's far too clunky and slow-paced for modern tastes. Even so, give it time and adjust to its eccentricities and there's some gameplay meat and even some brains to get your teeth into.

The Sixth Axis - 7/10

Resident Evil Zero HD isn’t exactly the most beloved game in the franchise, yet the high quality of the HD upgrade makes it well worth a look for fans of the series. It still features the main issues that the previous version had, but the detail that’s gone into the restoration work is highly commendable and the new Wesker mode is worth unlocking. If only the base game wasn’t more inventory management than surviving a zombie outbreak.

PC Gamer - 63/100

Resident Evil 0 looks amazing, especially considering it’s almost fifteen years old, but it feels like a pastiche of a much better game. Some people might find the need for constant, careful item management satisfyingly challenging, but to me it feels like unnecessary busywork. Throw in a messy, ludicrous storyline (even by Resident Evil standards) that clumsily tries to slot itself into the larger series mythology, unimaginative enemies, and a general feeling that you’ve done all this before, but better, and you’re left with a game that’s very hard to love.

Metro - 5/10

But really, Resident Evil 0 is worse than that simply because it’s so bland and predictable. It’s a cautionary example of what would’ve happened if Capcom had not re-imagined the franchise with Resident Evil 4, and instead just continued to make an increasingly uninteresting series of fixed screen survival horrors.
None of that is to say that a good amount of effort hasn’t gone into this remaster though, in fact quite the opposite. The pre-rendered backdrops and non-widescreen graphics of the original make this just as difficult to update as the remake, and although the visuals often look rather blurry and old-fashioned the game stands up well.

VideoGamer - 5/10

Resident Evil Zero isn't the worst game ever made, but it is an uninspired one, the last throw of the dice of an old style wherein everything relies on the skill of the director and the semi-static world they can conjure, and – to a lesser degree – the unique gameplay elements they can offer. Zero comes up short in all regards.

antitrop

I would have figured Burns would be above a generic statement like "[Game X] isn't the worst game ever made, but...". I wouldn't even expect to read that in an IGN review.

liquidtmd

Banned
an old style wherein everything relies on the skill of the director and the semi-static world they can conjure

Im not the biggest fan of Zero itself in relation to the story, plot or other things in relation to REMake or the old series in general but this kinda commentary is fucking bullshit - it doesnt mean anything.

'Everything relies on the skill of the director' - yeah that old school, old style WHICH EVERY OLD AND NEW MEDIA PRODUCT ALSO RELIES ON THE DIRECTOR

Jesus Christ.

I remember buying this game when it first came out and I think it got similar reviews. Basically, if you like classic RE games, you will probably enjoy RE0. It is nothing particularly special, however.

Xav

Resident Evil Zero is a good game but it will suffer the same fate as it did on the GameCube.

Resident Evil Remake is the better game and it came out first. It I were Capcom, I would of remastered Zero first and then Remake.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I would have figured Burns would be above a generic statement like "[Game X] isn't the worst game ever made, but...". I wouldn't even expect to read that in an IGN review.

I like Burns, but he's not to be taken seriously IMO, He just seems to hate everything. It's funny on the podcast but he could never influence my decision to buy/not buy a game.

I remember buying this game when it first came out and I think it got similar reviews. Basically, if you like classic RE games, you will probably enjoy RE0. It is nothing particularly special, however.

I'm a fan of the old games and personally to me it's the worst main RE. I even like Code Veronica(which I hear a lot of people don't), but I didn't even finish Zero. It's the only game in the main series I've never finished and I can only assume people pushed themselves to play it when it first released because it's pretty to look at and they already paid for it. I see no other reason.

Davey Cakes

I wouldn't expect anything above "solid" reviews for this.

As already stated in the thread, this is an HD upgrade to an already-divisive RE game.

If you liked it before, you'll like it again unless your tastes have changed.
If you didn't like it before, updated visuals won't change your mind.
If you haven't played it before but enjoy classic RE, you should go for it and make your own determination.

I'm a fan of the old games and personally to me it's the worst main RE. I even like Code Veronica(which I hear a lot of people don't), but I didn't even finish Zero. It's the only game in the main series I've never finished and I can only assume people pushed themselves to play it when it first released because it's pretty to look at and they already paid for it. I see no other reason.
I genuinely enjoyed it, just not as much as REmake. I finished because I wanted to, not because I felt forced to.

I still haven't finished Code Veronica though. If anything, how I feel about that game is the same as how you feel about RE0.

I don't really think a HD upgrade for this game can save it from the same issues it had when it was first released. Uninspired classic RE with clunky team mechanics.

I still maintain that it's better than CV(X) and I hope this remaster allows more people to see that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've always thought the same as well. 0 got such a bad rap out of the gate that it still has a negative stigma, you can even see it in these early reviews. I have to go way back in my brain to remember what I felt about it at the time and I think my biggest gripe was that it didn't further the main story enough (looking back, lol) and that sometimes switching characters left me lost.

But it always had it where it really counts, atmosphere. Even the train section is just beautifully dreadful.

Some of these read like the reviewers are going off the general idea on the web that RE0 was a disappointment when it released, except the reasons listed aren't why it was a disappointment.

It wasn't what people expected of the story originally (wasn't a story about Bravo team), and at the time it was like the 4th game to feature a mansion out of 6 RE games, and the third one in a row to do it, so people were bored of mansions.

It was a much better game than CV in almost every way.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've never played RE0 but at least it appears that the remaster is better than the treatment REmake got. Sounds like the game itself isn't as good, but I think people already knew that.

Still, HD old school RE is nothing to complain about I say.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think I remember hating this game but I'm deffy buying. We need more games like this. MOAR.

daveo42

Banned
"It's a fantastic Remaster, but it's still RE0"

Pretty much what I expected.

Seems like a good reason to pass on it. I made it to the start of disc two and dropped it all those years ago. At least it seems like they did a great job on remastering the game, even if it is still RE0.

joe2187

Banned
Okay, so I've heard alot of negative about this game....but nothing specific on why they disliked it. Anyone wanna help me out in understanding what exactly went wrong?

-MD-

Haven't played this one since release but I remember enjoying it so I'm looking forward to seeing where it falls in line with the rest of the series for me.

PC preload is ready.

It’s a cautionary example of what would’ve happened if Capcom had not re-imagined the franchise with Resident Evil 4, and instead just continued to make an increasingly uninteresting series of fixed screen survival horrors.

From the REmake Remaster review by the same reviewer

There are some hard calls to make in creating a new Resident Evil game, which we don’t envy anyone having to decide on. Of course this remaster sidesteps the issues because it’s based on an old game; but it’s the fact that it still works so well despite its old-fashioned design that makes charting the future of survival horror all the more difficult.

The quality of both the original game and the remake shine through, with a sense of slow-burning tension that is the equal to any modern game.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/19/resid...o-the-world-of-survival-horror-again-5027605/

Zero doesn't say anything about fixed screens survival horror games. It just wasn't as good as the rest of the series.

I'm going to be honest here, I'm only even getting this for Wesker Mode.

Probably going to wait for the physical release bundled with REmake HD, though.

Anung

Un Rama
Resi Zero for me has always been on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of rankings so its getting the reviews I expected. It falls apart after the train, the enemies are crap and the item system is lame but for some reason I'm really looking to playing it again.

Leatherface

Think I'll wait for a sale on this but I'll probably pick it up on STEAM when it hits that sweet $10 price point. I did enjoy the original quite a bit. Classic RE.

Okay, so I've heard alot of negative about this game....but nothing specific on why they disliked it. Anyone wanna help me out in understanding what exactly went wrong?

It wasn't what people expected of the story originally (wasn't a story about Bravo team), and at the time it was like the 4th game to feature a mansion out of 6 RE games, and the third one in a row to do it, so people were bored of mansions.

Some people complained about the new inventory system, no item boxes and instead you just drop items wherever you like (and despending where you did this, could cause some annoying bactracking). But if you played smart and dropped items in central areas it was never an issue, and if you didn't it should have only been an issue for a single playthrough.

Hookshot being left in the mansion when you go to the church
is probably the thing that stung most people with backtracking for an item, required changing discs twice back in the day.

Piano

Banned
Lame enemy designs, lame story, boring design over all. The opening train section is great but everything after that is eh.

Bioshocker

Surprisingly good scores. Resident Evil Zero always was a solid 7/10 for me, but I feared it has aged badly. Seems I need to check this out.

• Item dropping a chunkier alternative to item boxes
  • Predictable narrative (outside the obvious pitfalls of being a direct prequel to REmake)
  • Unsatisfying revelation that involves some odd design decisions that are apparent at the opening of the game
  • Felt like too much of a retread, which was a heavy criticism already held for the series after 3
    Raccoon City games (RE2, Nemesis, Outbreak...OB2 I don't think was released prior to RE0)
  • Focus on animal BOWs largely bland in encounter and artistic design
  • Multiple space items in inventory didn't feel as well designed /balanced as it should be. Felt like an extra hinderance.

Quite a few of these reviews are pretty hard to take seriously in how they speak of classic RE design.

A bunch of the bosses in the game are just giant bugs/animals. It's yet another mansion with a lab in it. Leeches are....weird. The two character dynamic presents a few interesting cases of separating them to solve a puzzle, but not outside of a few instances.

It's not a bad game, but after the train part in the beginning, it doesn't hit anywhere near the highs of any other RE game.

Kuraudo

Banned

Boring environments (aside from the first area) and boring enemies. The partner zapping and ability to drop items anywhere are great ideas which are poorly implemented, making it a bit frustrating. Also as a prequel it fails to add anything interesting to the story and instead introduces a lot of elements which don't make sense and confuse the plot - it's the title where I think most people realised that the story was going nowhere.

I still like it though. If you enjoy classic RE it's worth at least one play through. The changes they've made have ensured I'll be giving it another shot tomorrow.

Top Bottom