• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa PS4 Alpha gameplay, preview

If they keep the great performance like the current PC version I might double dip, Project Cars can't stay at 60fps to save its life, wasted my money there. GT Sport (full, not beta) probably won't arrive until 2017, and I need my 60fps racer fix.

Video is nice but I'm not sure I'm ready for this sim-heavy of a game yet. I never did really get into Project CARS as much as I had hoped.

And correct me if I'm wrong but this is also confirmed for PSVR yes?
Not that I'm aware of. You may be thinking of Project Cars, although with Project Cars 2 in the works, I'll be pleasantly surprised that they're still working on that.

I have a feeling it won't be a fixed 60 on xb1 as the guy says in the video "900p and more or less the same frame rate as ps4" I don't know it's just the way he said it. Hopefully ps4 will be at a fixed 60

p3n

gamereactor.eu said:
[...] devs confirm all Fanatec, Logitech and Thrustmaster options are in [...]
They also comment on the FFB implementation being bad in the alpha. This doesn't bode well because the default FFB settings in AC on PC are far from optimal and you always needed third party programs and specific setups to make it work "right".

To me AC never felt like it came out of early access on PC. It always had that demo feel to it. I hope Kunos add some substance to the console release.

Malcolm9

900p continues to live on Xbox One despite the console being 10x more powerful than PS4 due to the cloud.

Anyway, game looks rather interesting.

10 x more powerful, is it?

Anyway I've been looking forward to this, looks great. Plenty of great racers this gen already.

Sky Saw

Banned
Looks great, though sense of speed could still be improved. I do have a feeling this will end up being the best sim racer on these consoles, at least for the next year or two anyway. Glad I got my new wheel in one time, though I'm still major salty about my old G25 no longer being compatible.
Still using my old G27 :p works great with AC!

If they keep the great performance like the current PC version I might double dip, Project Cars can't stay at 60fps to save its life, wasted my money there. GT Sport (full, not beta) probably won't arrive until 2017, and I need my 60fps racer fix.

Dirt rally will be 60fps too.

I know, but I really don't have that much confidence in GT or Forza anymore, at least from a purely hardcore motorsport perspective. But we shall see.

For me, GT and Forza are more about collecting and customising cars than the actual racing..which is still good but if I want a true motorsport experience I go to games like AC, GTR2, stock car extreme and the like.

Looks good but is that CA all over the image? Theres a slight blurr to everything.

Yes. CA is default on PC but they allow you to disable in one of the settings files. Hopefully they add the option to the main menu for console players.

Regarding joypads, in the most recent PC build I noticed the controls were much improved.

PSVR support please.

Video is nice but I'm not sure I'm ready for this sim-heavy of a game yet. I never did really get into Project CARS as much as I had hoped.

You can make AC as easy as you want by tuning the options, it's like Gran Turismo or Forza but goes a bit further with the hands-off stuff.

It's a first party development, gets more tech support than other studios, probably has more budget too.

I would still guess that the dynamic day/night and weather cycles to be the main culprit. Prebaked shadows and weather effects can really ease the strain on the hardware.
Edit: though AC doesn't have those effects.. Maybe a bit of both

_machine

I would still guess that the dynamic day/night and weather cycles to be the main culprit. Prebaked shadows and weather effects can really ease the strain on the hardware.
Edit: though AC doesn't have those effects.. Maybe a bit of both
AC does kind have dynamic lighting and it does run on a proper deferred renderer (or at least use deferred shading), but it doesn't have a full day/night cycle. It's not completely pre-baked conditions/env lightmaps like Forza 6. Weather is bit of different beast, compared to bigger differences in forward (and/or static lighting) to deferred (and/or full dynamic lighting). It's definitely a noticeable cost, but the differences in the very base of rendering is enough to have a noticeable effect on performance/fidelity.

I think it looks (and importantly sounds) really good, though coming from the PC version I do also wish that they expand the content towards more racing too, as right now the game shines most on just driving, rather than on any long-term goals. I don't want locked content though, but just more work on SP/MP modes.

artsi

I think that AC could benefit from some kind of progression / level system like in DOTA2, CS:GO, iRacing, etc. to make MP more exciting.
And with higher levels you wouldn't have beginners who ram you in the first corner.

I feel the simulation is top notch but it just needs more game and competition in it.

JP

Really can't wait for this.

I have to admit that Project Cars was a disappointment for so I'm hoping this will sort that out for me.

AC does kind have dynamic lighting and it does run on a proper deferred renderer (or at least use deferred shading), but it doesn't have a full day/night cycle. It's not completely pre-baked conditions/env lightmaps like Forza 6. Weather is bit of different beast, compared to bigger differences in forward (and/or static lighting) to deferred (and/or full dynamic lighting). It's definitely a noticeable cost, but the differences in the very base of rendering is enough to have a noticeable effect on performance/fidelity.

I think it looks (and importantly sounds) really good, though coming from the PC version I do also wish that they expand the content towards more racing too, as right now the game shines most on just driving, rather than on any long-term goals. I don't want locked content though, but just more work on SP/MP modes.

I wasn't clear, should have specified AC doesn't have day/night cycles or weather. But yea, dynamic shadows is pretty taxing.

terrible

Banned
this wont do well. i LOVE racers, especially sims,but with forza and pcars, i'm covered. unlike say dirt rally, this doesnt add much different to whats already out there. please correct me if i'm wrong. i suppose its a tad it more open on ps4 at the moment though

If you're a wheel user it has the best force feedback in the business. In that category Forza isn't even comparable. PCars can be tweaked to be decent but it's still a tier below AC. Games like rFactor 2 come really close but they're PC exclusives.

If you're a controller user yeah, AC isn't an obvious must-buy though. The AI isn't good and unless the console release is adding extra career content that isn't available in PC right now it's a pretty barebones single player game too. Racing sims are still niche titles.

Megalo

I've played 167h of AC on Steam and I can definitely tell you that it's the most enjoyable Sim i've played with a gamepad (I got no money for a wheel, sadly). It's very precise, fun and the game physic is amazing. It's kinda bare-bone tho (for now).

Why does PCars and this game only render xb1 in 900p, but Forza is 1080p? doesn't make since too me.

Forza Motorsport has pre-baked lighting, that's why the time of day and weather conditions don't change during a race. Forza Horizon and Driveclub are 30fps.

What worries me is that Marco Massarutto said in the VVV interview that the framerate on XB1 will be "more or less" the same as on PS4. If the framerate goes south like it does in PCARS on XB1, then... -.-
Usually I try to have my racing stuff on XB1 where my wheel is setup. If I buy the PS4 version, I have to get my PS4 to another room mount my other wheelbase... I wouldn't mind the 900p, but "more or less" 60fps doesn't sound good. If they can't keep 60fps they should give us options like "deactivate godrays" and so on.

If I buy the PS4 version, I have to get my PS4 to another room mount my other wheelbase... I wouldn't mind the 900p, but "more or less" 60fps doesn't sound good. If they can't keep 60fps they should give us options like "deactivate godrays" and so on.

Even ignoring the performance advantages, PS4 will probably be the way to go. Hardcore sim racers are a pretty niche genre. Seeing as PS4 has a larger install base, the online should be generally more populated.

Even ignoring the performance advantages, PS4 will probably be the way to go. Hardcore sim racers are a pretty niche genre. Seeing as PS4 has a larger install base, the online should be generally more populated.
But I love Forza and almost play nothing else on Xbox One... my PS4 gets the couch-gaming third party stuff in another room.
I'm with you in theory, but imagine having a 15 minute build-up/put-back every time you feel like doing a few laps in Assetto Corsa. If it were a game that seemed like "play it for one week and be done with it", it would be an easy choice, but I hope it's not that.

Who knows, maybe the framerate will only occasionally drop to 55 or so and only at dawn with over 24 cars in the race. *fingers crossed*

LilJoka

My thoughts:

I hope anyone who bought PCars on console is not put off by the genre for extremely poor out of box experience regrading UI and game pad controls. Although i expect pad controls to be not much better.

I watched blackpanthaa's video on youtube of him using a controller, and he put >180* of the steering wheel lock through a corner which i know only uses about 90-100*, causing insane understeer. This is very hard to mitigate on gamepad, the only real way is some steering assist like Forza and GT have, that dynamically adjusts speed sensitvity to get the steering to lock at peak grip. AC wont have this for sure, just like PCars, meaning itll be terribly difficult even with decent settings.
On PC i have my 360 pad setup so i can test things, but its still not massively fun, and totally uncompetitive. You can be competitive in certain cars that suit the controller settings, but it wont work universally across cars.

And lastly, trying to play with a pad against AI, with the current videos, the AI look very fast for casual pad drivers (could change) on easy, but ok for casual wheel drivers.

Greenymac

Bought my first wheel and pedal set for use with Driveclub and so far Ive loved it. Been ready to try a true sim so Ill be snagging Assetto Corsa on release. Was gonna grab project Cars, but this thread and the impression that Im getting is that most people who are into wheels and pedals arent crazy about the game. I picked up F1 2015 simply because Im an F1 junkie, but havent gotten around to booting it up yet.

Oneself

After giving a huge amount of time and adjustment to try to get the controller support in Project Cars where it should be and concluding that it's simply poorly made in that regard, I'm nervous...
Same here. I bought PCars during the holiday sale on PSN and totally regret it. It's now deleted from the drive and sitting forever in my PSN library.

Patrick S.

Banned
I have pCARS and Assetto Corsa, but have spent almost twice as much time with AC, despite pCARS having much better production values. I haven't encountered any bugs in pCARS, but for me, Assetto Corsa is the better game. I play with a 360 controller, and AC just controls much much better than pCARS. Plus I love all the mods (which isn't a selling point for people who will play this on console, I know).

And after the last patch, finally my biggest gripe with AC has mostly been resolved, which was the stupid AI. The AI in Assetto was just frustrating before, the game had me restarting many races ten times in a row because the AI would just knock me off the track, every damn time, at the same places. This has been improved massively, the AI is much more aware of you, and most of the time actively tries to prevent touching you.

If they just injected a liiiiitle more life into the game experience, say with more (animated) trackside objects, moving crowd with audible cheers, and track speakers like pCARS has... stuff like that, this game would go from a 9.5 to a 10 for me.

artsi

I have pCARS and Assetto Corsa, but have spent almost twice as much time with AC, despite pCARS having much better production values. I haven't encountered any bugs in pCARS, but for me, Assetto Corsa is the better game. I play with a 360 controller, and AC just controls much much better than pCARS. Plus I love all the mods (which isn't a selling point for people who will play this on console, I know).

And after the last patch, finally my biggest gripe with AC has mostly been resolved, which was the stupid AI. The AI in Assetto was just frutrating before, the game had me restarting many races ten times in a row because the AI would just knock me off the track, every damn time, at the same places. This has been improved massively, the AI is much more aware of you, and most of the time actively tries to prevent touching you.

If they just injected a liiiiitle more life into the game experience, say with more (animated) trackside objects, moving crowd with audible cheers, and track speakers like pCARS has... stuff like that, this game would go from a 9.5 to a 10 for me.

Right on. It's a great simulator but I feel they need to breath more life into it. IMO it's sterile as operating room right now, from the UI (which will get an overhaul) to the environment.

Dazza

I didn't even realise Assetto Corsa was coming to PS4, might have invest in a new steering wheel at this rate

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Driveclub and FH have that pretty much covered on their respective platforms.

COME ON SUN.

You expect people to think 1 game for each platform is enough!? Even if you barely count Need for Speed rivals, its not even close to being acceptable bro.

Also...Kunos being 10 people....they are destroying the concept of low budgeting gaming right now. That's the amount of people you needed for an NES or SNES game

I hope the Assetto Corsa folks bring over the heritage 1960's Formula One racers from the PC version. Since I have a Mac I've never been able to play AC, and I really really miss Grand Prix Legends from the old days.

vanty

I hope the Assetto Corsa folks bring over the heritage 1960's Formula One racers from the PC version. Since I have a Mac I've never been able to play AC, and I really really miss Grand Prix Legends from the old days.
I'm sure that Kunos have said the PC and console versions will have exactly the same content. Not sure if the existing DLC will still be DLC or included for the consoles though.

I know a lot of people are down on PCars, for some legitimate reasons, but it offers a huge selection of older F1 (lotus) cars like the 98t,78,72,51,49c, 38(Indy), 25 and a couple more.

GHG

COME ON SUN.

You expect people to think 1 game for each platform is enough!? Even if you barely count Need for Speed rivals, its not even close to being acceptable bro.

Also...Kunos being 10 people....they are destroying the concept of low budgeting gaming right now. That's the amount of people you needed for an NES or SNES game

There are also other arcade racing games coming to the PS4/Xbox one. Funny thing is, I don't see the same people who beg for arcade racing games in already announced sim racing game threads posting in those threads.

So which is it, are you guys actually interested in those types of games or do you just like shitting up unrelated threads by having a good moan?

danowat

Banned
So which is it, are you guys actually interested in those types of games or do you just like shitting up unrelated threads by having a good moan?

Bit like the drive-by "I've got DC and GT is coming this year, I've got no need for AC" post.

CaVaYeRo

I'm sure that Kunos have said the PC and console versions will have exactly the same content. Not sure if the existing DLC will still be DLC or included for the consoles though.

Exactly, it's at OP: Content parity confirmed, with both base content and future updates and patches. Only thing out are PC mods on consoles.

wait.... Kunos is like 10 fucking people?!

thats insane!

More like 30, also linked at the OP: creating a new car takes 6 people working for 12-14 weeks on modelling, physics, excitement and stuff.

Fox Mulder

I can applaud project cars for its ambition with tons of tracks, dynamic lighting, and hugs grids. It just controlled like shit and had lots of little issues that added up to a lot.

I hope this is better, but I'll need to see lots of impressions before jumping in.

Top Bottom