• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone gone from New 3DS XL down to New 3DS and regretted it?

So I've been debating between the FE new XL and the Pokemon regular n3ds for weeks now. I've been using my normal 3ds XL since 2013 and love it. I still happened to have my original purple 3ds so I switched over to that for the last couple weeks to see if I could handle the smaller screen.

I hate it. The extra pixel density is great, but the size is unbearable. I massively prefer my XL.

So here lies my problem, the n3ds does have a slightly bigger screen. As someone who love the size of his XL and hates the size of the original, would the regular n3ds be good enough you think? I would just buy the new XL and be done with it, as I already know I'll like it, but I also happen to be a bigger Pokemon fan than I am a Fire Emblem fan. Been playing Pokemon since the originals. I just don't know if the screen size would be a big enough upgrade over the original, which I really do not like at all.

//ARCANUM

I bought the ambassador and the zelda plates from NoA earlier and was just planning on getting a regular n3DS next month or so. Unfortunate to see that some people still think it's too small. Glad to see at least OP likes the form a little more.

I already have the Majora's Mask n3DSXL, ALBW 3DSXL, and a plain ol' red og3DS.

edit: you know what I hate? I bought the digital version of New Leaf. I've played it for hundreds of hours and it's been transferred twice now, but I wish I just had my save on the cartridge to make it easier if I wanted to play it on another system.

Oh man, beyond jealous you were able to score the ambassador plates. I missed those by like 15 mins. :(

//ARCANUM

So I've been debating between the FE new XL and the Pokemon regular n3ds for weeks now. I've been using my normal 3ds XL since 2013 and love it. I still happened to have my original purple 3ds so I switched over to that for the last couple weeks to see if I could handle the smaller screen.

I hate it. The extra pixel density is great, but the size is unbearable. I massively prefer my XL.

So here lies my problem, the n3ds does have a slightly bigger screen. As someone who love the size of his XL and hates the size of the original, would the regular n3ds be good enough you think? I would just buy the new XL and be done with it, as I already know I'll like it, but I also happen to be a bigger Pokemon fan than I am a Fire Emblem fan. Been playing Pokemon since the originals. I just don't know if the screen size would be a big enough upgrade over the original, which I really do not like at all.

The screen size on the nXL is awesome. But every single other aspect of the regular n3DS is superior in my opinion. It's a tough choice.

nikos

I've owned every iteration of the 3DS, most recently going from the New 3DS XL to the New 3DS. The New 3DS is definitely my favorite of all of them. Absolutely no regrets.

I'm going to echo the sentiments here that the n3DS is the best iteration of 3DS. Having owned the original model, the XL, the nXL, and now the n3DS, the n3DS strikes the perfect balance between screen size and portability. The XL was really just too cumbersome for me, and as nice as the large screens were I really don't notice or miss them at all. The only games where I can even tell are actions games like MH or FF:E but even then the reduced weight and size of the console makes up for it. Not to mention I've noticed the picture is less fuzzy in almost every game, due to what I assume is increased ppi? Not really sure, I'm not well-versed in the technical aspects. Also the faceplates are a game-changer, I'm a sucker for LE systems but now I can have whatever LE system I want to suit my mood. Right now I'm rocking the 30th anniversary Mario maker plates, which are great, but I also have the brown Kirby ones and will probably pick up the Monado ones and the FE: Fates ones as well. Definitely my favorite model, and I love the matte finish. I just wish they would've released the black model over here, but honestly the white model doesn't bother me, as I was using a Pikachu xL for over a year and got used to the white interior.

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm not trading a larger screen for custom plates. Those things add nothing to the console and most people that see your 3DS won't care about them either.

Ryne

Is the smaller system better for bigger hands? I just found the OG XL made me cramp, and I can't find a place that lets me test out the smaller system.

I do want that all-white N3DSXL. Faceplates isn't important to me, only comfort.

jax

Banned
Is the smaller system better for bigger hands? I just found the OG XL made me cramp, and I can't find a place that lets me test out the smaller system.

I do want that all-white N3DSXL. Faceplates isn't important to me, only comfort.
I would say yes. The XL is far too big for comfortable extended play sessions, whereas the smaller model remains comfy for hours and hours.

Chorazin

I'm not trading a larger screen for custom plates. Those things add nothing to the console and most people that see your 3DS won't care about them either.

OK, good for you. The rest of us did it for comfort. Faceplates are just a nice bonus!

butman

I really want to try de regular n3DS, but i'm not really fan of white one.

There any black panel version coming in the future? Are the Pokemon version white too?

Mrmask

I used to have the new 3ds black from Japan and have my Pikachu 3ds XL still and I would have to say I was not that big of a fan of the small console. It fits better in my pocket, but the screen size, plus the console size with my big boy hands just don't feel right. Would rather have my Monster Hunter new 3ds xl back honestly. :(

I really want to try de regular n3DS, but i'm not really fan of white one.

There any black panel version coming in the future? Are the Pokemon version white too?
I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but I know Japan has a black new 3ds, but the console is region locked. If you're talking about the pokemon 20th anniversary new 3ds bundle being white, yes it is.

I really like the look of the buttons on the regular New 3DS. I have been using my old XL recently and I like the big touch screen for stylus games mainly. If they release a New 3DS in a non-bundled form in NA, I would maybe like to get one.

Top Bottom