• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany sales update: PS4 2.8 million, Wii U 690k, XB1 600k

Alo0oy

Banned
According to Wikipedia the ps3-360 split was about 16-14 million across Europe, and the ps3 was also the cheapest Blu-ray player for some time. The UK will have had some part in cranking up the 360 sales, but I doubt ps3 market share was double in many countries (Wii market share definitely was double that of PS3 across the board). So I don't fully believe this entrenched "games = playstation" mindset, at least not among gamers themselves going into the console generation. In order for a 4:1 to happen, a lot of people needed to have switched sides. That mindset is definitely starting to take foothold now though as both Nintendo and MS have made themselves largely irrelevant to Europe. And in case of the latter because MS leading up to the reveal was only interested in American games (Gears, Halo, Forza), then only in American sports and American TV and finally drove the point home that most of Europe was second tier even to Japan to them. They destroyed their brand in the eyes of Europeans and are not going to win them back any time soon.

Wikipedia is not a reliable source, you're basing your argument on faulty data.

We have PAL charts threads that stretch back all the way to the start of the gen, you can use that instead and see how the PS3 and Wii completely obliterated the 360 in every chart not named the UK.

Hell, the PS3 is STILL doing better than XB1 as of today in most of Europe.

Current global situation:
worldwidesalesps4xbond7r54.png

There might be a tie in antarctica. That's whole continent to fight for.

jelly

I think the need for paid online is hurting chances for XB1 as second console TBH.

Last gen I know a lot of 360 owners who got cheap PS3 for exclusives and the fact it was a one and done cost made it easier. This gen I sense people factoring in Live fee too and seeing the proposition as less attractive.

I think XB1 console would need to be really cheap to offset this to generate decent interest as a second console for exclusives. Not to start a lot war but the general perception in PAL that XB1 has few true exclusives doesn't help with interest either.

I think in most of RoW outside US and UK (and Mexico) XB1 is locked into being niche choice vs PS4.

The numbers and ratios from territories like Germany are pretty telling as are the SW charts too.

Everything's pretty much set in stone at this point. Unless VR or something enexpected changes the playing field it's all looking very much forgone as to how things will play out.

Yeah, PS plus and Xbox Live Gold kills Xbox as second console. Sony following with online made the choice easier to settle on one or another.

Microsoft has one trump card though, make online free. If Xbox is going to keep merging with PC, it's possible and something that would put Sony on their heels and would be very enticing to consumers.

Microsoft has one trump card though, make online free. If Xbox is going to keep merging with PC, it's possible and something that would put Soby on their heels and would be very enticing to consumers.
They would never get the okay from their mothership.
MS has deep pockets, Xbox hasn't.

In order for a 4:1 to happen, a lot of people needed to have switched sides.

In reality they switched sides last generation. Especially early on, a lot of people who would have bought a PS3 bought a 360 because 1)it was cheaper 2)best performance on multiplatform titles 3)PS3 had no interesting exclusives in its firs couple of years 4) PS3 was 1 year late to the market.

It was really common in europe to buy a 360 and plan to get a PS3 later, when the price dropped, to catch up with the sony exclusives

this is because sony fucked up the PS3 launch and it took 2 - 2.5 years for the platform to become a viable option. Everyone wanted a "PlayStation", but for half of the generation the 360 was simply the better option.

Nothing has changed this gen. People still want a "PlayStation". It's just that now sony has avoided making the same mistakes, and xbox one is not strong enough to be the better option

thelastword

Banned
Hardly surprising for anyone living here.
Noted, I don't live there ;) but it was more or less me thinking that interest in the Wii-U has not been that great from launch and has been dwindling.....so XB1 doing worse was a bit of a surprise.

It's the case in a lot of markets. Wouldn't be Wii U worldwide LTD higher than X1 LTD if you exclude USA?
I'm thinking it would be, going by these figures, I was surprised at Wii-U doing better based on XB1's performance in the US market, but that's certainly not the case. I guess it makes sense to prefer a PS4/Wii-U combo over there, since the PS4 is more powerful and has more exclusives, also, the Wii-U's library does not overlap the PS4's much at all, as it has it's own slew of very diverse titles.......

Bruno MB

I've tried to look for Wii U 2014 numbers, I could only find number up to August 2014 (350,000, v.s. 170,000 One units in Germany as of August). Anyone with better luck?
Code:
DEC 2012 - 85,000 LTD 
SEP 2013 - 160,000 LTD
AUG 2014 - 350,000 LTD
AUG 2015 - 500,000 LTD
DEC 2015 - 690,000 LTD

Alo0oy

Banned
In reality they switched sides last generation. Especially early on, a lot of people who would have bought a PS3 bought a 360 because 1)it was cheaper 2)best performance on multiplatform titles 3)PS3 had no interesting exclusives in its firs couple of years 4) PS3 was 1 year late to the market.

It was really common in europe to buy a 360 and plan to get a PS3 later, when the price dropped, to catch up with the sony exclusives

this is because sony fucked up the PS3 launch and it took 2 - 2.5 years for the platform to become a viable option. Everyone wanted a "PlayStation", but for half of the generation the 360 was simply the better option.

Nothing has changed this gen. People still want a "PlayStation". It's just that now sony has avoided making the same mistakes, and xbox one is not strong enough to be the better option

That's patently false based on the sales data we have.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible that has something to do with the fact that Germany still has a fairly sizeable market for physical PC releases? Or so I've heard. Would be cool to see some data as to all of this. It's interesting.
It's bigger than in other countries, but it's still pretty small. And many of those retail releases use Steam anyway. Like the infamous MSGV disc: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/09/01/metal-gear-solid-vs-pc-disc-doesnt-actually-have-the-game-on-it

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Code:
DEC 2012 - 85,000 LTD 
SEP 2013 - 160,000 LTD
AUG 2014 - 350,000 LTD
AUG 2015 - 500,000 LTD
DEC 2015 - 690,000 LTD

Missed the 500k by August 2015, thanks.

This mean Wii U sold 190k Sep to Dec 2015. XB1 YTD is ~270k with ~110k in November and December, humm... Looks like Wii U probabily sold more or equal in 2015.

Bubhabhahahahahahaha. Maybe i should. :p

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Last I heard, they had one of each.

I'm a meteorologist working for the National Science Foundation at Amundsen-Scott Station, South Pole.
We do have a pretty impressive setup for gaming here (720p projector, surround sound, lots of couches, Wii, 360, PS3), but have almost no games.

Moonstone

It's bigger than in other countries, but it's still pretty small. And many of those retail releases use Steam anyway. Like the infamous MSGV disc: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/09/01/metal-gear-solid-vs-pc-disc-doesnt-actually-have-the-game-on-it

A huge part of german retail PC games are cheap and older titles from green pepper, kids games like "Wimmelbildspiele", softwarepyramide (cheap rerealses from another publisher) and so on. There are also often collections like Adventures games Vol. X and so on. While some of those games might be on steam - there is usually the steam free version included. And then all those simulators. I rebought a couple of games on steam, just to have them in my libary.

We know this because the average price for pc titles is so low (was around 22€) in the last years - while console games sell for around 50€ on average. (I didn't look it up - but those have been the trends).

Those games are mostly not featured on steam. Some german publishers also decide to release a steam free version (I do remember this for blackguards and afair other daedelic titles). And then there is also Origin, GoG and Uplay.
So don't mistake pc market with "Masterace games that run on a 980ti".

RibMan

Microsoft are screwed in the console space. I think this is it for Xbox.

Xbox One sales are declining in Europe (or close to flat lining) when it should be increasing. It's only going to get more brutal for the console at this point.

But 'what about another Xbox' I hear you say? The next generation is all about VR capabilities (although as you know I believe it won't kick off). It will, however, dominate news channels and generate critical hype. Microsoft have quite literally ZERO VR capabilities. They are at least 5 years behind Sony in that regard. They simply won't be able to compete in its current position.

So, Xbox One sales are declining, or at least the gap is continually rising, and they are in a poor position to compete against the inevitable PlayStation 5. Xbox is done, and it'll become some sort of PC service.

I'd like to make a thread about this discussion...

Three things:

1) I agree that the Xbox brand isn't in great shape for the future. Specifically, the Xbox brand is in a very weak position, globally. It's going to take time for people to realize this, but the failure of the Xbox One has made next-gen a really bad headache for Microsoft. If the PS4 finishes at 90m and the Xbox One crawls to 35m, then the Xbox Two will have to be a radical Wii-like device to have a shot. This is assuming Microsoft will make another console, and this is assuming Sony won't return to the PS3-era design mistakes.

2) If VR catches on ((i.e. regular folks start to talk about it in casual conversation(s)) then next-gen will definitely focus on VR tech. If VR fails to catch on, then next-gen won't focus on VR. This is why it's critical for a VR market to be established this gen.

3) Of course, having a VR solution right now is important in establishing both mind share and market share. With that said, Microsoft having no VR solution =/= Microsoft not in the VR game. Their first step towards having a VR solution is through the partnership with Oculus. Their next step (and this step is taken if VR takes off) towards having a VR solution will be to purchase a VR company. They'll take the same approach they and many other companies have taken in the past:: buy someone out. I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I think Starbreeze would be a candidate.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I'm VERY amazed that Wii U outsells Xbox One in Germany, even if it's not by much.
I'm also VERY impressed that PS4 outsells both Wii U and Xbox One combinded by almost 2:1.

WiiU doesn't outsell XB1, WiiU had a one year lead and XB1 is slowly approaching the point where they'll overtake in overall sales compared to WiiU.

At this rate ps4 will probably sell 10m in Germany by 2020.
How much dud PS2 sell in the end? Maybe it's somewhere in here, but I am just too lazy.

I'd say it all depends on how they bring the price down. PS2 got really cheap. If they can go down to 149€ or so it would be possible.

Conduit

Banned
I actually don't know any UK numbers, I was looking for a link or something

hard to apply logic otherwise! unless I'm missing some other reason why UK can't be below 2.8m

PS4 outsold Xbone in first half of the 2015. in UK. PS4 passed 2 mil. mark in May last year in UK. Ratio was 1.4 : 1 in PS4 favor. In second half PS4 versions multiplatform games charted better and there was no indication that PS4 sales slowed down in 2nd half. And PS4 sold better during holidays in UK. Gap has widened, not narrowed. PS4 can't be below 2.8 mil. cuz that means that Xbone outsold PS4 in 2nd half and during holidays. Which isn't. MCV announced 5.5 mil. current gen console sold. So, PS4 can be around 3 mil. or above, and Xbone around 2.3 mil.

darkinstinct

At this rate ps4 will probably sell 10m in Germany by 2020.

Considering last gen in Germany is less than 7.5 million consoles for PS3 and 360 combined I find that quite unlikely. PS4 will have to settle for 6.5 million lifetime. Last gen was rougly 5 million PS3 to 2.5 million 360.

darkinstinct

How much dud PS2 sell in the end? Maybe it's somewhere in here, but I am just too lazy.

I'd say it all depends on how they bring the price down. PS2 got really cheap. If they can go down to 149€ or so it would be possible.

PS2 lifetime sales in Germany are slightly above 6 million units. It reached those 6 million in 2010, so long after PS3 was launched.

ethomaz

Banned
Source for UK?
MCV/GFK

5.5m end of 2015
> 2m for PS4 May 2015 with ~500k gap

2.5m is the max for Xbone to hold the same gap.
3.0m is the min for PS4 to hold the same gap.

The gap probably widen to be fair because PS4 sold more in holidays (GFK confirmed the BF week) and most of the year with exception of Halo launch weeks.

evilr

Banned
3) Of course, having a VR solution right now is important in establishing both mind share and market share. With that said, Microsoft having no VR solution =/= Microsoft not in the VR game. Their first step towards having a VR solution is through the partnership with Oculus. Their next step (and this step is taken if VR takes off) towards having a VR solution will be to purchase a VR company. They'll take the same approach they and many other companies have taken in the past:: buy someone out. I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I think Starbreeze would be a candidate.

Good post.

I am interested in your third point. Is there a company that has the VR capabilities that can compete with PSVR and Oculus? I'm not so sure. Microsoft cannot purchase Oculus because Facebook already claimed that prize of course. Valve also are on lock down.

I really can't see Microsoft competing here. They are always late and always rely on acquisitions to jump start their capabilities. Unfortunately, this time, I cannot see the availability of such requirements as they have either already been acquired or are its primary competitors.

It is of my opinion that Microsoft are forced to not compete, or hope that VR does not kick off. However, as you rightly suggest, the mindshare already belongs to Sony. I am reminded of their mobile phone attempts. To late to the party, too late in acquiring Nokia.

Would Nadella make the mistake that Ballmer did? I believe he won't even attempt it. Xbox One was supposed to synergise the entire Microsoft ecosystem into everyone's living room. It failed, despite tweets from Greenberg and Nelson suggesting otherwise and only implies they've not learned from any mistakes, thus ultimately the Xbox brand is lost.

Any other company by now would have thrown the towel. It is only due to the liquidity of Microsoft that it is able to fund this incredibly expensive, loss-making venture.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

The good news is that it's a cinch to win the hearts and minds of a whole continent. Just ship 250 free Xbox One consoles to Antarctica and the job is done.

Top Bottom