• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo PR: Star Fox reconfirmed for April, amiibo release dates and details

Curious how Paper Mario fits in with these schedules.

Despite the anemic retail output, when combined with VC and Indie support, the Wii U has a respectable library. Sadly, its terribly behind the Wii even now (Wiiware third party support was amazing).

It's a solid list of Nintendo games for sure, but the lack of third party games hurts it greatly. The Wii was fortunate to have some third party gems, and it actually had more than two RPGs. The NX will need a much broader library for people to get interested. They need many more original games like Splatoon.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii u library is pretty peculiar
Few games, almost zero third party support, decent indie support, many very good exclusive games.
In general is a barren landscape but 2016 risks to end up at least on par with its previous year, if paper mario and pikmin are indeed wiiu games. That would mean

Zelda tp hd
Pokken
Star Fox
#FE
Pikmin
Paper mario
Zelda u

Just in terms of retail only exclusive games

I like the practice of bundling amiibo's with all physical copies if the amiibo contains additional content. And with no additional costs too.

Neoxon

I like the practice of bundling amiibo's with all physical copies if the amiibo contains additional content. And with no additional costs too.
If it's anything like Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD would have likely been $50 without the Amiibo.

foltzie1

It's a solid list of Nintendo games for sure, but the lack of third party games hurts it greatly. The Wii was fortunate to have some third party gems, and it actually had more than two RPGs. The NX will need a much broader library for people to get interested. They need many more original games like Splatoon.

Most certainly agreed, the glaring lack of big name third party titles certainly hurts. Sports and other online multiplayer titles are just absent on the Wii U.

maxcriden

I know the last thread was closed, but hopefully it's ok to post this new rumor here, as I'm under the impression Tamaki is considered a more reliable source. (If this is not appropriate, my apologies, and please delete my post.)

(via Tamaki/Liam Robertson's tweets)

Re: those Star Fox Zero rumours. I heard all the same disconcerting things about two weeks ago.

I heard the QA team at NoE is going through a bit of a nightmare to get it ready. Nobody knows for sure if it'll pass QA with a thumbs up.

If Star Fox Zero doesn't pass QA, they can make a recommendation to NCL to delay it. They have about 2 weeks to get it ready for certif.

I really hope (and sort of expect) that they will delay Star Fox again until they get it right. We've still seen so little of it too.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/251762-rumor-more-inside-info-on-starfox-zero-facing-development-troub

Nerrel

I know the last thread was closed, but hopefully it's ok to post this new rumor here, as I'm under the impression Tamaki is considered a more reliable source. (If this is not appropriate, my apologies, and please delete my post.)

http://gonintendo.com/stories/251762-rumor-more-inside-info-on-starfox-zero-facing-development-troub

Miyamoto fucks up Starfox with a terrible idea. 14 years pass. He fucks up Starfox with a terrible idea.

Every time I hear about this game I remember how Wii remote controls were already simple, intuitive, and proven to work for a similar control scheme in Sin and Punishment 2. Separate aiming and flying controls couldn't possibly get more comfortable than that scheme. This game could have played perfectly and with much better visuals if they had just stuck to IR aiming+nunchuk. I suppose they didn't want a repeat of Pikmin 3, where the Wii remote seemed more useful and innovative than the Wii U's own controller. That and Miyamoto probably didn't want to leave the Wii U without putting out at least one game to fully utilize the gamepad for something.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Miyamoto fucks up Starfox with a terrible idea. 14 years pass. He fucks up Starfox with a terrible idea.

Every time I hear about this game I remember how Wii remote controls were already simple, intuitive, and proven to work for a similar control scheme in Sin and Punishment 2. Separate aiming and flying controls couldn't possibly get more comfortable than that scheme. This game could have played perfectly and with much better visuals if they had just stuck to IR aiming+nunchuk. I suppose they didn't want a repeat of Pikmin 3, where the Wii remote seemed more useful and innovative than the Wii U's own controller. That and Miyamoto probably didn't want to leave the Wii U without putting out at least one game to fully utilize the gamepad for something.

(Counts in head...)

What Starfox game was fucked up in 2002? Starfox Adventures? Because I'm pretty sure that's a situation of a great original game being fucked up by the Starfox IP.

Malus

I always thought it looked fun at least, despite being disappointed in the visuals. I'm really curious to know what exactly is going on that's so problematic. Gyro aiming isn't some mystery since they've done it a lot already. C'mon Nintendo get it together. Kidnap Kamiya from his work on Scalebound and let him work his devil magic or something.

On second thought just copy paste sin and punishment.

This may be true but Tamaki is the guy who was soooo sure Shovel Knight would be in Smash Bros. due to his sources. It makes sense though given what some others have said. Seems to be a lot of smoke. If it was just from him I wouldn't believe it.

b3b0p

Wii u library is pretty peculiar
Few games, almost zero third party support, decent indie support, many very good exclusive games.
In general is a barren landscape but 2016 risks to end up at least on par with its previous year, if paper mario and pikmin are indeed wiiu games. That would mean

Zelda tp hd
Pokken
Star Fox
#FE
Pikmin
Paper mario
Zelda u

Just in terms of retail only exclusive games

It may be barren in relation to PS4 or Xbox One or even PC, but for me, having a full time job this is more than enough to get me by for over a year I bet. Throw in my backlog of games and how much I love to go back to my NES, SNES, Genesis, ... I'm booked solid.

He only mentioned NoE. He sure the delay wouldn't just for PAL if this were true? It's worth noting that PAL is the only region that hasn't committed to a hard date, just "April 2016".

This may be true but Tamaki is the guy who was soooo sure Shovel Knight would be in Smash Bros. due to his sources. It makes sense though given what some others have said. Seems to be a lot of smoke. If it was just from him I wouldn't believe it.

Yeah, if there's something else to back him up it could be legit, but Tamaki himself is extremely hit-and-miss when it comes to gossip.

bman94

Jesus Christ, if Nintendo has to push to the release date even further it scares me to think of the state of the game during its original holiday 2014 launch window.

Josh5890

I was so excited about Star Fox since it was announced. Now I am scarred. If things are as bad as the rumors say they are I hope Nintendo takes things back to the drawing board and re-do it for the NX

AdanVC

Oh my. They should just delay it indefinitely and just show a hype trailer of the game at E3. But this would be it's second delay announcement and that would be awfully received by the fans... Hoping the best for this game

-shadow-

Star Fox might not pass QA but Devil's Third did? Better have different standards, else this sounds very spooky.
Devil's Third was actually playable without any serious problems however. If this game ends up suffering from serious control problems O can fully understand.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I could only imagine that game coming out in its original launch window.

Pretty sure that thing would have gotten panned and Star Fox would be as dead as F-Zero at that point, which is a scary thought. All because of Miyamoto and his insistence that the Wii U Gamepad isn't completely useless.

Vena

He only mentioned NoE. He sure the delay wouldn't just for PAL if this were true? It's worth noting that PAL is the only region that hasn't committed to a hard date, just "April 2016".

If NoE's QA turns it back with a negative, its not getting released anywhere. The same would be true if NoA QA or Club Mario gave a negative (though this makes me wonder if this title is even going to the other QA departments).

The only loop hole is like Fatal Frame Wii where it was already out in Japan before NoA QA threw it back for all the bugs that KT wouldn't patch.

Nerrel

I'm really curious to know what exactly is going on that's so problematic. Gyro aiming isn't some mystery since they've done it a lot already.

I don't think gyro aiming itself is the problem. There is the issue of having to use gyro aiming exclusively, where other games allow you to use the analog stick to get in the general area and then use the gyro to fine tune. This all-gyro setup will require a lot more movement and may be more tiring/prone to calibration drift, but the real problem seems to be splitting everything up between two screens. There's really no logical benefit to distracting the player by making critical game information harder to see. People hated it when Mariokart 8 put the map on the pad because it's difficult to look down while also trying to control a fast moving vehicle; having that information on the gamepad not only provided no advantage but was actively worse than an on-screen minimap. This seems to be a similar problem, but on a bigger scale. It's like the game was designed around that second screen distraction that many people have complained about since the system was unveiled (Valve and Sony both claimed they opted not to use a controller screen for this reason).

It's possible that the controls work but that few reviewers are able to play the game right- sort of how Wonderful 101 turned out (or even RE6, although that game had plenty of other problems). But there have been reviewers who claimed that they've put in plenty of time and the controls just simply don't get better. It definitely sounds awkward. Trying to move the gamepad around while also looking between two screens, reorienting yourself each time, while flying a fast moving ship sounds like a really needlessly complicated control scheme. Especially when the remote and nunchuk did the same thing- but better- with ease.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If the game really is in such bad shape then they have to delay it, releasing a shit game could kill the series forever. Wii U is already dead, rushing out a StarFox game is pointless.

They should do the thing with the tea table and just drop this second screen aiming idea.
Just make a good shooter. I hope miyamoto isn't too stuborn to release a messy game.

Litri

After reading all the stuff that gaffers have said about Starfox I'm starting to think that nobody will ever be happy regardless of what Nintendo does with the gamepad.

I'm of those that do not care much if the game control scheme is difficult to master
if the experience is different and if it becomes an extra challenge (same as in W101)

Nintendo does nothing with the gamepad -> almost everyone complains as it's a core part of the experience.

Nintendo does something with the gamepad -> controls don't work, they are too awkward.

I really think that Nintendo somehow shoot themselves in the foot when they decided to include the gamepad on the package as it has forced them to try to be really innovative when it comes to its use but let's face it, the game is clearly not aimed at kids for which that control scheme will probably be too difficult for them.

Let's wait and see, guys.

Glass Rebel

After reading all the stuff that gaffers have said about Starfox I'm starting to think that nobody will ever be happy regardless of what Nintendo does with the gamepad.

I'm of those that do not care much if the game control scheme is difficult to master
if the experience is different and if it becomes an extra challenge (same as in W101)

Nintendo does nothing with the gamepad -> almost everyone complains as it's a core part of the experience.

Nintendo does something with the gamepad -> controls don't work, they are too awkward.

I really think that Nintendo somehow shoot themselves in the foot when they decided to include the gamepad on the package as it has forced them to try to be really innovative when it comes to its use but let's face it, the game is clearly not aimed at kids for which that control scheme will probably be too difficult for them.

Let's wait and see, guys.

If the rumours are correct, this has nothing to do with the controls being "too difficult to master" but the game straight up not working as intended to the point that it can't get through QA.

I played Star Fox last e3 and really loved it. Aiming with the gyro through the wii pad while still maneuvering on the big screen is a skill you're going to need to acquire, but I thought it was a really fun new element to the game. I'm hyped for Zero.

Side note, I'm not expecting the game to surpass my love for 64, but that game is a damn classic masterpiece.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What QA? The one that allowed Smash Tennis and Amibo Festival Party be released?

QA doesn't make game reviews, just checks if the game plays as it should and there are no bugs. If Starfox0 fails QA it will be because there is something that doesn't work as intended.

TheJoRu

What QA? The one that allowed Smash Tennis and Amibo Festival Party be released?

Those are both playable games, which is the quality that is being assured. If Star Fox Zero gets a negative response from QA because of controls it's because "these controls are broken" as opposed to "I don't like them".

Yeah, I hope the amount of rumours of troubled development are starting to come from too many directions. I hope they don't give up and just release it as is. While a WiiU game with questionable quality will probably not be cost-effective to sink more money into, I'm not sure if you'll want negative buzz for a year when you're announcing new hardware.
If you're talking about Star Fox Adventures, that game was fucked up by a combination of Rare taking too long and having to re-do the game for Gamecube, and the sale of Rare. The Star Fox aspect of the story probably doesn't factor in too much, as evidenced by how un-Star Fox the final game ended being too.

Adventures

Not really a Star Fox game then suddenly ANDROSS
Because of this I can see a lot of gamers want a new Starfox Adventure. It's a shame becaus they know starfox just through this spin-off and think this what the franchise should always had been. But we all know it's just a starfox skin on the old project dinosaur's planet.

KingBroly

Banned
These rumors seem to be 50/50 most of the time. I'd rather not learn about games in development at Nintendo, but games they've already put out instead. I feel it's more interesting to learn about how Nintendo reacts after the fact, because we never hear about it.

I'm not sure if I believe the Star Fox rumors or not, because I don't even know what could be done about it if it were true.

These rumors seem to be 50/50 most of the time. I'd rather not learn about games in development at Nintendo, but games they've already put out instead. I feel it's more interesting to learn about how Nintendo reacts after the fact, because we never hear about it.

I'm not sure if I believe the Star Fox rumors or not, because I don't even know what could be done about it if it were true.

Remember Metal Gear Rising ?
Cancel the damn thing, remove all the dual screen bullshit. Keep the name and charac design and give free reigns over the project to PG for the fast paced action Star Fox game we deserve.

Move it to NX. Release it in 2017.

maxcriden

(Counts in head...)

What Starfox game was fucked up in 2002? Starfox Adventures? Because I'm pretty sure that's a situation of a great original game being fucked up by the Starfox IP.

What indication do we have that the game would have ever been great (with or without Star Fox)?
I don't think gyro aiming itself is the problem. There is the issue of having to use gyro aiming exclusively, where other games allow you to use the analog stick to get in the general area and then use the gyro to fine tune. This all-gyro setup will require a lot more movement and may be more tiring/prone to calibration drift, but the real problem seems to be splitting everything up between two screens. There's really no logical benefit to distracting the player by making critical game information harder to see. People hated it when Mariokart 8 put the map on the pad because it's difficult to look down while also trying to control a fast moving vehicle; having that information on the gamepad not only provided no advantage but was actively worse than an on-screen minimap. This seems to be a similar problem, but on a bigger scale. It's like the game was designed around that second screen distraction that many people have complained about since the system was unveiled (Valve and Sony both claimed they opted not to use a controller screen for this reason).

It's possible that the controls work but that few reviewers are able to play the game right- sort of how Wonderful 101 turned out (or even RE6, although that game had plenty of other problems). But there have been reviewers who claimed that they've put in plenty of time and the controls just simply don't get better. It definitely sounds awkward. Trying to move the gamepad around while also looking between two screens, reorienting yourself each time, while flying a fast moving ship sounds like a really needlessly complicated control scheme. Especially when the remote and nunchuk did the same thing- but better- with ease.

Wait, the gyro for the controls isn't optional? I know the second screen aiming is optional (or at least in previous builds was, and I doubt they'd drop that option...though who knows what that "doubling down on motion controls rumor meant") so I assumed we could turn off gyro as well. Is that not the case, though?

If you're talking about Star Fox Adventures, that game was fucked up by a combination of Rare taking too long and having to re-do the game for Gamecube, and the sale of Rare. The Star Fox aspect of the story probably doesn't factor in too much, as evidenced by how un-Star Fox the final game ended being too.

Dinosaur Planet was really, really far along. The problem was that it wasn't generating a huge amount of buzz at the trade show they had it at, and rather than take a chance on a new property that could flop (back on the expensive cart medium late in the N64's life, no less), orders came from above to force the Star Fox license into it. The rumor is that journalists kept mentioning to Miyamoto how Star Fox seemed like a good fit to it, and he took the suggestion to heart. (There's at least one interview where he gives something along an "oh, interesting" response to the suggestion.)

Lots of things were gutted and altered. A quick browse on TCRF (and the proto) will show you that. The biggest element being the almost entire removal of the dual character mechanic.

There's no way I can back this up (it was said in a private chat), but I was told by someone involved with the game that it was Nintendo's idea to lock Krystal in a, you guessed it, crystal. There's even recorded dialogue of her and Fox having more interaction after she's free that didn't make the final cut.

That game was meddled with, and was the worse for it. And it was super-jarring to have this slow, plodding, older Fox, while at the same time Melee was out with super fast, sharp, younger Fox. It made me dislike SFA even more for the plodding pace it has.

PtM

Banned
You cannot easen flying plus aiming. Nobody's doing this for a reason. They should delegate this control scheme to co-op.

Would be intrigued to fail at playing the game, though.

Effect

I disliked that this was originally delayed but now I'm hoping it's delayed again. This game is dead from the start if it doesn't control well. If it isn't fun to control. It's insane too that they could screw up the controls like this if true. Problems (control, responsive ness, fun, etc) with the dual screen setup should have been apparent from very early on.

It looks like Nintendo created a problem where there was none before. Star Fox's issues in the past have been one content and level design. Controls were never a problem. Yet instead of addressing what should have been addressed going by the footage they have released they decided to possibly screw up the one thing they did well with the series.

Top Bottom