• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony trademarks clickable analog sticks for a portable gaming device (Vita revision?)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
In 2016, Sony has a successful console right out of the gate. They don't need to focus all of their resources on a single machine. They don't need to make sacrifices now.

Bring it on.

Well they will need to split and use part of their resources on PSVR now

ViciousDS

Banned
Vita means life. Life means PSP2

I think a PSP2 would do decent if they could nail the hardware price and most important of all

THE DAMN FLASH STORAGE PRICE!

It would mainly be a retro/stream handheld for playing everything up to PS2 classics and stream from the PS4 with remote play.

If they were interested in really pushing the remote play angle I could see them making use of this patent. Unfortunately the only place Sony seems interested in pushing the Vita is out the open passenger door on a busy interstate.

If they can reduce its cost they may release a revision fixing most of its current issues that may be still profitable, can be marketed it mainly as PS4 portable companion device for PS Now, PS Remote Play, extra games from PS Now and Cross Buy.

PS4 is getting a huge userbase (and a lot of them weren't PS users last gen) and will be even bigger after this 2016 loaded with great PS4 games, so there are a lot of new people who may get Vita as companion device. Would make even more sense if Nintendo ends doing basically the same: having console + handheld with crossbuy/crossplay/remote play.

They don't even make internal games for it, there are still indies and Japanese games plus a few games published/ported by their Gio Corsi's 3rd party support team with decent sales.

Reducing costs only makes sense if they're still producing the Vita at a mass scale. And with the way things are at the moment, with stores not carrying too much Vita stock, and not enough people buying the console to warrant another revision.

Also, let's not forget, the people that have a PS4 likely: 1) are people who are solely interested in home console gaming and don't care about having a handheld companion piece, especially, if it leads to an inferior experience as far as lag, internet problems are concerned, and/or 2) are people who already have phones, which defeats the purpose of having a Vita since their phones are more powerful at running emulated console games, and are much cheaper (ignoring the microtransactions shenanigans). Seeing that the majority of the PS4 market share are likely a mix of casuals, these two points are pretty significant to take into consideration.

That being said, I don't think the PS Now is a great sell for the system (or for the PS4 either, but that's a different conversation). The technology for streaming games still suffers from latency issues plus you have problems with consumers preferring either physical copies or PSN downloads over streaming due to how cost-ineffective the PS Now is. Additionally, cross-buy isn't that attractive either. If you bought that one game that has crossbuy, you're probably going to play the console version for how superior it is to the Vita.

Sealtest

If they figured out a way to allow multiple accounts on a vita and have sd cards i'll trade in my OLED day 1 for it.

Shin-Ra

If SCE's serious about good quality Remote Play, they'll bump up the video encoding and network streaming specs of the first major PS4 redesign too.

mf.luder

Maybe a striped down Vita that can only do RemotePlay and maybe PS1/PSP games?

Retail for $75, clickable sticks and four shoulder buttons.

I was thinking the remote play option. PlayStation now + remote play app that they are developing.

More than clickable sticks, I want in a Vita revision better Bluetooth and WiFi chips. The Vita is the worst wireless device I own, barely able to have a connection and it is useless as a Remote Play device as a result. Hell, even the Bluetooth sucks and my headphones crap out after about 15 feet. It bothers me that Sony seemingly cheaped out on these two components when there's a lot of care and craft in other aspects of the system.

thuway

Even if a revision of the original Vita doesn't come, I'd love for Sony to just make a peripheral that functions solely for Remote Play and Remote Play alone. The feature can be a game changer but currently suffers from one too many sacrifices.

Makes sense. They'll need device parity with the portable portion of the NX in order to ensure cross-play.

That assumes the NX will have a modern controller layout. And that it won't continue to see decreased third party support, actually.

As for topic at hand, clickable sticks would be ace, but it needs the extra shoulder buttons to really be worthwhile, and if they're doing all that, then I too really hope they go the whole hog and have HDMI out, OLED, and SD card support. Hell, they could make it a more expensive, limited run 'hardcore game enthusiast' at twice the price and I'd still buy it day one with all that.

http://ipforce.jp/patent-jp-A-2016-24738

Back in 2014 - recently became available to the public, Sony patented a grip that would add an L2/R2 + L3/R3 (via clickable analog "attachment) to the device.

img

img

img

img

img

If only...

Top Bottom