• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV 5th Teaser Trailer (K', Benimaru, Robert)

RedAssedApe

Banned
tumblr_o0bqwtPpM61st4oplo1_400.gif

tumblr_o0bqwtPpM61st4oplo2_400.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
They actually gave Beni MORE CLOTHES?!? That's a shock. I never really liked the Lepoard print crop top he got around XI, and he rarely wears ANYTHING that doesn't have some part of his chest, shoulders, or abs hanging out somewhere. Green is also not a color we see him in. He looks like he just stepped out of an asian TV drama, which is... highly appropriate, really.

That new-ish super of his reminds me of his CVS2 Super, which was always a favorite of mine. Also kinda reminds me of something Dong Hwan would do.

dong-superkick.gif

His hair has more "Poof" to it than normal, but it also has a bit of secondary motion animation to it, and this actually works pretty well for 3D. Braclets, rings, uneven gloves... taking full advantage of having 3D models there.

Will we have Shinku Katategoma in this game? Basically the only one of his base moves we see missing here.

--

Robert with a 'stache now! Ok, I can deal, this fits him well. Our First Zanretsuken / Genei-Kyaku of the game, and it's not looking too bad at all. I don't think I hear the KoF Getta-on-a-wood-floor final hit sounds though, THIS BETTER BE IN BY THE END. (ahem). No show on projectiles, yet.

--

K' looks nicely updated, really. Nicely in line with Kula's updated outfit. That overhead kick of his takes me back to KoF XI and I believe MI2? Glasses on full time again, just like in XIII. His hair doesn't seem to have as much animation to it as Beni's.

--

A distinct lack of projectiles in this preview (unless you count Raijin-ken), though all the characters shown have had some sort of them through the years. Beni obviously seems like the furthest along (they were even willing to show him close up), while the other two look lightly teased, with no big supers or zooms shown.

Wonder if these 3 (or Ralf, King, or Angel) will be playable at Taipei on Friday...

ZoddGutts

No it got ROBBED!

But seriously though, the graphics are improving, not that much but there are looking a bit better bit by bit. Already reigned in my expectations at this point, it's looking decent now. Want to see how Vanessa looks.

Finaika

I just realized one of the things that's bothering me the most: the backgrounds are so devoid of life. KOF's stages were always just so packed with spectators and other things going on behind the fighters. These are just so empty and lifeless.

Did you see the blue whale?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Man.....

I really wish we had the old SNK back. Not feeling this Kof at all..

It looks like a fan project.

KoF 94 looked pretty meh by the time 98 came out. AoF looked crappy compared to AoF 3. And this is when SNKP was comparatively on top of the world, among the lead in their markets, and you could release a fighting game with 3 playable characters to the arcade, and somehow get away with it (FF1).

The first KoF in a Saga generally is below the potential of what the series will look like by arc's end. Even by Original SNK standards, this detail is par the course.

KoF XIV is going to have more characters on launch than SFV will have (if they keep up a similar production schedule) within the next 5 or 6 years. It's obvious where SNKP's set it's priority this time (In XII and XIII, it was on art before roster size, now it's the opposite), so lets see which ends up working out better for them. Considering the gameplay is already seen to be promising and on point (look at the impression from PSX), they seem to be on the ultimately correct path.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Robert with moustaches?!?!? I dunno if i can deal with it lol.

Graphics are good enough for me but imo it would do wonders passing to cel shading, look at these:
5lTPC7s.png

cHYWiJk.png

and now imagine cel shading applied to kofxiv

The models are really lifeless as they are. Not a fan, honestly. Still looking forward to it, but I hope they do something with the models.

Graphics are good enough for me but imo it would do wonders passing to cel shading, look at these:
5lTPC7s.png

cHYWiJk.png

Yeah, good cel shading might do the game wonders.

dnmt

Banned
KoF 94 looked pretty meh by the time 98 came out. AoF looked crappy compared to AoF 3. And this is when SNKP was comparatively on top of the world, among the lead in their markets, and you could release a fighting game with 3 playable characters to the arcade, and somehow get away with it (FF1).

The first KoF in a Saga generally is below the potential of what the series will look like by arc's end. Even by Original SNK standards, this detail is par the course.

KoF XIV is going to have more characters on launch than SFV will have (if they keep up a similar production schedule) within the next 5 or 6 years. It's obvious where SNKP's set it's priority this time (In XII and XIII, it was on art before roster size, now it's the opposite), so lets see which ends up working out better for them. Considering the gameplay is already seen to be promising and on point (look at the impression from PSX), they seem to be on the ultimately correct path.

There's plenty of games with lower budgets that look leagues better. Let's not trifle words or make any excuses here, the game looks subpar for 2016. That said I still have high hopes for the core gameplay which is what matters most.

『Inaba Resident』;193428530 said:
Its not easy to do at all. Arc created a bunch of techniques themselves to get Xrd looking the way it does. SNK hasn't been in full game development for a while now so they're not aware of how to fully develop for all of the new engines ,systems, etc. They just recently started building their gaming division back up. I think all they really need is some type of shader at this point. The animations and character themselves are looking better for the most part. Its just whatever shader they're using (or lack of) makes the game look incredibly flat and lifeless. Hopefully, KoF14 does well and SNK can come back fully.

A couple people seem to think i was implying xrd was somehow easy to make. I'm a game artist myself, i by no means meant to imply that it was easy. I just meant the change from hand drawn sprites to 3d was the money saver as more features can be implemented easier. Im not expecting the game to look like xrd or be created the same way but as you mentioned, use better shaders then the flat ones they are using now.

I was going to mention blood stained but i see someone beat me to it

A couple people seem to think i was implying xrd was somehow easy to make. I'm a game artist myself, i by no means meant to imply that it was easy. I just meant the change from hand drawn sprites to 3d was the money saver as more features can be implemented easier. Im not expecting the game to look like xrd or be created the same way but as you mentioned, use better shaders then the flat ones they are using now.

I was going to mention blood stained but i see someone beat me to it

Oh, well then yeah we're on the same page. Apologies for misunderstanding. They can really improve the look if they use better shaders since that is the main issue, imo.

KiteGr

5lTPC7s.png

cHYWiJk.png

The game needs all the graphical enhancements it can get! Especially those that make the game more stylish, as photorealism isn't their strong point.

Shingo is the only Joke character in a Fighting game I actually root for. He is a normal person in a universe full of Fighting Monsters, yet he does his best, coping the moves of his idol kyo and using them well enough, despite not being born a fire bender.

Vanessa is the second on my wish list.

This game is looking ever so slightly better with each trailer. It might even pass for a mid-last gen game by the time it launches!

Would've liked a better look at K', but just knowing he's there is comfort enough.

Lernaean

Banned
Character models are still meh. Everything else, including how it looks to be playing is fine. I will support SNK on their return to the hobby.

BadWolf

Lookin better and better visually and that gameplay keeps looking solid. So good to see expanded move lists all around.

Really dig how the new Beni looks. is this the most 'masculine' he has looked so far?

K' lookin good, both he and Kula look less slim now.

Hopefully Robert's refresh means that Ryo and Yuri got one as well.

tzare

great to see Robert :)

I wish Gen'ei Kyaku was more spectacular but i'll take it.

ANyone know if SNK have confirmed PS3 stick support for ps4 version of the game?

Relique

It's looking better. Wish they would show characters that have been MIA for a little while now. So far most of who they've shown are safe bets. Really want to see Blue Mary and some new characters soon.

great to see Robert :)

I wish Gen'ei Kyaku was more spectacular but i'll take it.

ANyone know if SNK have confirmed PS3 stick support for ps4 version of the game?

Not a peep. I think at this point the safest bet is to invest in a PS4 stick. Most fighting games that have come out already haven't bothered with the PS3 drivers and the ones on the horizon haven't mentioned any PS3 stick support.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Robert is looking suave as f*ck.
K' has a new suit.
And Benimaru is looking fabulous as expected.

WHENS TERRY?!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
There's plenty of games with lower budgets that look leagues better. Let's not trifle words or make any excuses here, the game looks subpar for 2016. That said I still have high hopes for the core gameplay which is what matters most.

There's plenty? 3D fighters with 50 character cast upon first release? Ok, tell me, which?

What do we have in the past decade to compare it to? UMVC3? SFxT?

How many fighters, even in the golden age, released with this many characters, and didn't re-use direct sprites and models from previous releases? How many companies have as little 3D model games out in this modern day and age, on consoles, as SNKP?

(Having previous work of this type would make it easier for the assets to look better on the same budget.)

The complaints about graphics are just get more and more ignorant as information about the game is released. There'd be much more to complain about if this game was releasing with the same "16 characters at first" ideal as SFV... or less!

... but it's not. Over 3x as many characters, on release. And for probably the same (or less!) price.

So even with the same budget, lets figure what SFV would look like with 1/3rd less model / texture / animation work per character as it does now. As much as people keep harping on XIV, it's overblown for the sake of sensationalism by now.

The internet is pretty silly with the fine line between "making excuses' and "being realistic about what you're seeing".

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
With 50 characters at release the balance is gonna be a mess... but goddamn if its not goona be awesome as hell!

BadWolf

There's plenty? 3D fighters with 50 character cast upon first release? Ok, tell me, which?

How many fighters, even in the golden age, released with this many characters, and didn't re-use direct sprites and models from previous releases? How many companies have as little 3D model games out in this modern day and age, on consoles, as SNKP?

(Having previous work of this type would make it easier for the assets to look better on the same budget.)

The complaints about graphics are just get more and more ignorant as information about the game is released. There'd be much more to complain about if this game was releasing with the same "16 characters at first" ideal as SFV... or less!

... but it's not. Over 3x as many characters, on release. And for probably the same (or less!) price.

So even with the same budget, lets figure what SFV would look like with 1/3rd less model / texture / animation work per character as it does now. As much as people keep harping on XIV, it's overblown for the sake of sensationalism by now.

The internet is pretty silly with the fine line between "making excuses' and "being realistic about what you're seeing".

Well put.

SNK had to make some hard decisions and they made the right call. Visuals aren't on the high end but a friggin huge roster, redesigned characters, expanded move lists, return of far normals etc. is more than a fair trade.

Those people in particular who play KOF more than they look or talk about it should be very happy with the move to 3D.

Also let's not forget that the game has been in production only since April 2014 so time has been a huge factor as well.

Numb

5lTPC7s.png

cHYWiJk.png

Love cel shading
Looking good and wouldn't mind for KOF14

Maybe they should had started with less characters so the ones that were there look better?

I think the models look pretty sub-par. And the animation and hitstop and all that jazz don't look good either to me. imo of course.

People are judging on what's there. Why do they need to worry about the behind the scenes stuff. It's not their problem, it's SNK's problem. They are going to ask for money for this. People can bitch.

Top Bottom