• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Same-sex relationships removed from Fire Emblem: Fates in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is coming from Italy: http://i.imgur.com/Zy8Gvh0.png
Dear editorial staff of [censored]

According to your request, number [censored]

We confirm that the 'Amiibo' articles related to 'Roy' (To be released in 16/3/2016) and 'Corinzius' (to be established) [I think this translation is interesting, because it references one of our Architectural Orders, which mix asian and roman style, a reflection of what may represent the kingdoms] will not be compatible with the 3DS product [this seems to be a reply].

Regarding the presence of censored material in Fire Emblem: Fates, the european division, under the supervision of the president Satoru Shibata decided to apply [i'm 100% sure it's apply, even if the letter is cropped] more stricted restrictions compared to the american release.

Many of the dialogues are being rearranged to avoid a bad impact and protect the younger audience.

INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS, after the request of the president, agreed, besides the change of the code regarding the pair-bond system of ''MIO CASTELLO'' [My Castle] (as happened to american market), also to change the ''SISTEMA DI SUPPORTO'' [Support System].
For the Multi 5 editions of the game (UK English, French, German, Spanish and Italian) in fact the max bond with some characters involved in a homosexal affair, if a same gender [protagonist] has been choosen in one of the three routes, will be rank 'A', instead of being 'S'.

We are sure our audience will understand the reasons behind this hard choice.*
For more info about the announcements of the next weeks, or for other informations regarding the decision of the president, that we remember, motivated by [him?] [after?] a strong sense of cultural identity and different religious beliefs, we leave you this direct referral.

Source.

Seeing changes like these being made just really hurt. I'm hoping that it's only the Italian version of the game that had this change made, and that no other European versions of the game have been censored.

Edit: I've updated the title of this thread to reflect the fact that most posters are interpreting Nintendo's response to include all European versions of the game, not just Italy.

EDIT: NOE has confirmed this was a hoax. Please leave this thread ASAP before you get exposed to some of your fellow GAFers ignorance in the posts below.

Nyoro SF

It's just localization, what are you making a fuss for? Nintendo knows what's good for your region and you should just accept that.

/s

This why I hate any form of editing or censorship. Whether its head patting, blood n gore, sex, relationships, language. It's all terrible. This is just bad news all around.

Which is funny given how dark so many other themes in past Fire Emblems seemed to squeak on by with no issues.

Now THIS is a problem. :(

It's just localization, what are you making a fuss for? Nintendo knows what's good for your region and you should just accept that.

/s

Fan service and civil rights are not the same thing. Blushing anime girls (and guys) whose faces you can rub have not been historically oppressed and denied representation. They have not been told they don't exist, persecuted for how they were born, and denied the same space to find partners as everyone else.

Including same sex relationships is passive activism and valuable because it acknowledges a humanitarian conversation being had all over the world. Including same sex relationships sends a message of normalcy and encourages acknowledgment of different sexual orientations.

Including alienating fan service is, simply, not any of these things.

Not all content is created equal. A creator or company deciding to remove certain content has more weight when it reinforces a historically problematic dialog about the validity of human sexuality.

that post from reddit op tho
I actually phoned Nintendo Italy today and I've been told 'can't publicly talk about this at the moment'.
*Please take note that we are this month in a currently controversial situation about homosexual weddings, which is not legal now, due to Vatican pressure, as you can read in New York Times (I'll post the article in the comment). *
i guess they're afraid of vatican?

Drop

Copying my posts on the matter from the other thread:

I was going through the thread on this same matter on Serenes Forest and someone posted a link to an alarming reddit's thread.

The thread talks about how an Italian FE fans site had the news on the latest two announcements before they happened, apparently a relevant Italian gaming news site had leaked informations about the games and also leaked a very alarming e-mail from Nintendo of Italy regarding European localization.

Before proceeding I'll remind everyone to take this with a grain of salt.
The e-mail says the European version of the game will not only be more heavily modified than the American version but also that same-sex marriage will be removed.

I read the e-mail and skimmed through the translation and can confirm that at least the bolded parts of the translation match the content of the e-mail, I'll check it all soon.

Here's the link to the reddit's thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/42xhlw/corrins_italian_name_different_censorship_for/

After going through the full translation and e-mail back to back I can confirm the translation is almost perfectly accurate.
There are only 2 words I don't think have been translated properly and they tend to make things sound less authoritative than the e-mail, it's no that important but I'll still give my take on it just for the sake of complete clarity:

- "the european division, under the supervision of the president Satoru Shibata", "Supervision" is actually "Jurisdiction";

-"INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS, after the request of the president", "request" is actually "order".

None really matters to the real problem but I like things to be completely clear.

Source: I'm Italian.

Nintendo isn't going to use "think of the children!" as a legitimate excuse to do something this controversial. Especially for a game that isn't aimed at children at all.

I have serious doubts about this.

Eolz

/s

Ahah that's what I was gonna say.
Still not censorship?

Hope that isn't true, but I think it's gonna stay a rumor after the recent PR answers.

NotLiquid

You know, when people kept trying to insist that #FE was a game that "appeals to no one", I'm wondering whether they were referring to the wrong FE game.

This game is a disaster. Tamaki was right.

Doubt it's just a rumor and it's just Italy.

Sadly.

EDIT: Oh right they understood when it came to Tomodachi Life, so maybe it is just Italy.

DrArchon

Like I said in the other thread, I don't see why NoE would refer to cutting LGBT content as "protecting younger audiences", as that assigns a moral value to their decision. Wouldn't they just say "in order to avoid unnecessary controversy"? That has no morality there, it's just business.

Not buying it until I see more concrete proof.

Abriael

Banned
This seems strange. VERY strange.

All I can say, is that Nintendo Italy didn't officially announce anything of the sort. I receive their press releases. I'll ask, but I'd be extremely surprised if true.

If this turns out to be true, I'll have to seriously consider skipping the game. Shame because I really want to play conquest, if nothing else.

Knock this shit off Nintendo.

Ridley327

If this does pan out as the emails say, I really can't comprehend why NoE would want to jeopardize losing all the goodwill they've built up over the past few years like this.

If they remove boobs from games and people say it's okay, then those same people shoud be ok with this too.

And yes, it IS the same thing.

Mr Rivuz

European edition of Fire Emblem Fates will end up like this:
ChessSetLP_Color.JPG430e6b5d-fa60-4177-9b20-bfc32f0a9682Larger.jpg

After the tomadachi incident I'd be very surprised if this is true

Apparently Italy is one of the few major EU countries where gay marriage isn't legal, sadly.

You're right though. Considering Nintendo as a whole, this seems extremely unlike them and borderline damaging to their worlwide image.

If they remove boobs from games and people say it's okay, then those same people shoud be ok with this too.

You're really comparing creepy dudes not being able to get off to anime titties, to homophobic practices which have oppressed people for how they were born for centuries? Come the fuck on.

ZombAid82

If true, that this happens to the whole EFIGS-version of the game, i'm going to boycott this shit!
Than I have to buy the US-Special-Edition, which is already sold out :-(

Now THIS is a problem. :(

Fan service and civil rights are not the same thing. Blushing anime girls whose faces you can rub have not been historically oppressed and denied representation. They have not been told they don't exist, persecuted for how they were born, and denied the same space to find partners as everyone else.

But people like to argue and fight like fan service and civil rights issues are the same thing when it comes to these changes in localization. Really fucking sad.

It's really not and this post is really disgusting.

This seems strange. VERY strange.

All I can say, is that Nintendo Italy didn't officially announce anything of the sort. I receive their press releases. I'll ask, but I'd be extremely surprised if true.

I have a strong feeling this is something they'd rather not push out in PR, as the inclusion of the same-sex relationship was a selling point for the game and really distinguished it from past games.

Being a gay gamer kinda sucks when shit like this happens. I just want to see characters like myself in the games that I play. Of the 40+ playable characters in this game, you'd think there would be leeway to at least give us just this.

MayMay

Banned
Yeah, fuck this. I can't believe just how much pointless censoring this game is getting for the western release. Seriously considering to just not buy it because it's getting ridiculous and I don't want to support this. Sad, I've been quite excited for it but all these changes and censoring put a dampener on things.

Drop

Imo this quote makes the fact that it talks about all EU versions pretty clear:
"For the Multi 5 editions of the game (UK English, French, German, Spanish and Italian) in fact the max bond with some characters involved in a homosexal affair, if a same gender [protagonist] has been choosen in one of the three routes, will be rank 'A', instead of being 'S'."

Jackano

It's getting ridiculous, in a society that pro-actively fight for homosexual rights, to see Nintendo pro-actively doing something that is the opposite. This is even more backward than doing nothing.

-Amon-

That's why i'm against any form of censorship.

It takes away from the public the chance to form an opinion by themeselves.

Human pets ? Do it !

Gay relationships ? Go for it.

Let ME approve or disapprove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom