• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: The Division beta (PS4 Vs. Xbox One)

Black Hat

I'm just happy with a consistent level of performance and not some chop job port like Just Cause 3.

Are Ubisoft more proficient in XB1 development than PS4 in general? We're seeing better performance now on PS4, but from memory Assassin's Creed: Unity ran better on XB1?

I'm sure there are many.

There were a hell of a lot for the Witcher 3 anyway.

It was the same for last gen when PC's got basic up ports of 360 and PS3 games.

"The money is with consoles, you should not expect a different game for PC"

I say bring back the days of true PC exclusives ( I don't really ) Absolute power houses Like Far Cry Etc that push the current PC specs and make console owners cry that they can't play it.

I don't really want this. I would like more people to be able to play games. With the spiraling cost of video games this would not be possible anyway.

As I said after, it has little to do with power and more to with resource management. XO and PS3 both require more time, money, and effort to use well.

And that's a bad excuse when we know they've gone to the effort to develop more advanced effects for the PC version that should be fairly trivial to implement on PS4 where the majority of their sales are likely to be. Using Xbox One equivalent effects was a choice they made and the amount of work to implement them is unlikely to be significantly less than those already being created for PC.

onQ123

I'm just happy with a consistent level of performance and not some chop job port like Just Cause 3.

Are Ubisoft more proficient in XB1 development than PS4 in general? We're seeing better performance now on PS4, but from memory Assassin's Creed: Unity ran better on XB1?

That was before the patch.

bishbosh

Banned
On a side note, if the Xbox One version runs at the same resolution as the PS4 version, and uses the same AA solution, why is it slightly blurrier in certain shots? Have DF missed something? Dynamic resolution? A different type of AA solution with the Xbox One version? Something else?

Not sure how much we should read into that, I have seen some of those same shots reproduced and they are much clearer than those posted, have also seen some shot's where they claim the PS4 version looks worse.

I expect the PS4 version to be better or at least it should be, but my point is screenshots can easily be manipulated.

Seems like they are using XB1 as primary platform to develop most of the titles and then porting to PS4 which is making the advantages of the PS4 power not used properly.

KORNdoggy

Seems like they are using XB1 as primary platform to develop most of the titles and then porting to PS4 which is making the advantages of the PS4 power not used properly.

yup. xbox definitely seem to be lead platform. i figure the backlash they get due to parity and untapped potential on PS4 is smaller then the backlash they get from poorer xbox performance when porting from PS4 to xbox?

yup. xbox definitely seem to be lead platform. i figure the backlash they get due to parity and untapped potential on PS4 is smaller then the backlash they get from poorer xbox performance when porting from PS4 to xbox?

May be they brute-force the extra PS4 power for porting to save time and money instead of applying PS4 level optimizations and developing the game around the hardware advantages, which is why we see same resolutions/FPS for most of the Ubisoft titles. So the efforts they put on the PS4 version is far less compared to the XB1 version even though PS4 version is the one which sells and played most, but they dont care PS4 gamers and want parity which is why i wont support ubisoft mostly and also they are milking their franchises a lot which i hate.

nOoblet16

Ubisoft is not one developer with one engine you know. Ubisoft is a publisher with several studios that bear the tittle Ubisoft something.

This is made by Ubisoft Massive, formerly Massive Entertainment..the studio that used to make World in Conflict. And the engine they are using is called snow drop engine. It's got nothing to do with the Anvil Next that AC and Watch Dogs used, or the Dunia 2 engine that Farcry team uses.

If Ubisoft were Sony then Ubisoft Massive would be some studio like Guerrilla Games and Ubisoft Montreal would be another studio like Naughty Dog. Yet just because they bear the name Ubisoft they are usually considered to be one entity. Same happens for Rockstar Games I suppose.

nOoblet16

Ubisoft is not one developer with one engine you know. Ubisoft is a publisher with several studios that bear the tittle Ubisoft something. This is made by Ubisoft Massive, formerly Massive Entertainment..the studio that used to make World in Conflict. And the engine they are using is called snow drop engine. It's got nothing to do with the Anvil Next that AC and Watch Dogs used, or the Dunia 2 engine that Farcry team uses.

If Ubisoft were Sony then Ubisoft Massive would be some studio like Guerrilla Games and Ubisoft Montreal would be another studio like Naughty Dog. Yet just because they bear the name Ubisoft they are usually considered to be one entity. Same happens for Rockstar Games I suppose.

Also slight bugbear :p JC3 is not a "port", Port has a specific meaning i.e. it's developed for one platform then ported (converted) over to the next. But people seem to use it synonymously to describe a developed product that is not good on one platform but is good on another, even if it is developed for both of them simultaneously with no porting involved. JC3 runs bad because the CPUs on consoles are bad, and it's the same reason why Unity has performance issues (which apparently got somewhat fixed later and made PS4 version the better version supposedly)

EGM1966

Possibly. Purely as a business strategy I can see leading with XB1 making sense. If you don't like it I guess you decide whether to support it or not.

As it is some developers by the nature of their strategy (DICE at EA spring to mind) are producing games/engines that highlight the differences in various platforms. They still lean towards PC and right from the start you've seen resolution differences on PS4 and XB1.

Ubi I think are taking the approach of targeting XB1 as the lowest denominator knowing the game should perform fine on PS4 and PC if correctly ported as a result (their execution was uneven to begin but has more recently improved). It may be Massive working with Ubi have gone the same route.

There is a case, given PS4 has more power and appears easier to develop for still, to argue that economically putting say 60% of effort into base game and optimising for XB1 with say 40% to stabilise and align code base on PC and PS4 delivers lowest cost vs results although it probably does mean PS4 doesn't get pushed as hard as it might with super optimised code and assets.

Ultimately if games seem almost identical each purchaser has to decide how they feel about what that implies for development strategy.

Myself if the game is stable, fun to play and looks "good enough" on my platform of choice I don't really care about parity or whether another version is almost identical. It's bugs, poor optimization, frame rate dips and screen tearing that annoy me.

Metfanant

We will never know as ND made the game for 360. ND has shown they have the most talented people out there which can do wonders on hardware. Therefore it's hard to say how TLOU would've looked on 360. But I doubt the game would've been impossible to do on the hardware.

impossible? no, but there were plenty of exclusive games on the 360, and none of them quite matched what some of the top tier PS3 exclusives were able to do (Killzone, Uncharted, TLoU, etc...)

I haven't seen anything in the Last of us that made me think the Xbox 360 wouldn't be able to do that, very overrated graphics IMO, PS4 version didn't impress me either.
lollll

i honestly think 360 was better hardware then the ps3. yea ps3 had a few better exclusives, but 360 wasn't that far off behind, gears of war 3, halo 4, forza horizon, and red dead redemption, were right up there with them, uncharted 3, was the one that out shined them all to me, but then again sony devs are just better at making amazing graphics.

i would have to agree with you...the power difference was close enough that the overly complicated PS3 hardware was a stupid decision...Unfortunately for MS this gen...they have the more complicated, but also weaker hardware

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know if you guys have seen this excellent The Division Beta – PC vs. PS4 vs. Xbox One Graphics Comparison from CandyLand.

It's obvious here that the Xbox version is muddier. Almost looks like lower res textures: https://youtu.be/f-kzKbXFvwc?t=3m18s

Based on the indoor shots it seems that PS4 has very slightly higher res shadows. The grate scene shows more gradiations in the shadow above the door frame. A couple textures like the sign it zooms in on about 3 minutes in also seem to be slightly higher res. Outdoor stuff is likely due to variations in time of day and weather but it seems there are some more differences than originally thought when you look closely.

c0de

impossible? no, but there were plenty of exclusive games on the 360, and none of them quite matched what some of the top tier PS3 exclusives were able to do (Killzone, Uncharted, TLoU, etc...)

Yes, but that is not a proof at all. The only way to say so would make the same devs use the same effort and resources when making the same game.
It's like saying that ps3 would not be able to run Halo 4. Yes, I know that sounds ridiculous but there is just no proof for it. And don't argue with how a game looks. Performance and needed resources are not in a proportional dependency.

EvB

That was before the patch.

Even after the patch it still didn't perform as well as the Xbone version

Compared to the pre-patched game, drops in frame-rate aren't quite so heavy, and the PS4 version now more closely matches the Xbox One release during gameplay. However, performance is still variable, failing to hit 30fps in crowded areas or in detailed locations.

Overall, the results now more closely resemble the Xbox One game when the engine isn't fully taxed, and as such the controls feel more responsive, with less judder in the overall experiences.

lollll

dude i owned both consoles, switched ps3 late in the gen, halo 4, forzas horizon, and gear of war 3 look as good except for uncharted 3, which was the best looking game of lastgen. red dead redemption 360 version was also best looking open world game on lastgen consoles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
dude i owned both consoles, switched ps3 late in the gen, halo 4, forzas horizon, and gear of war 3 look as good except for uncharted 3, which was the best looking game of lastgen. red dead redemption 360 version was also best looking open world game on lastgen consoles.

To you.

I don't get the comparison....

A better comparison would be that Andy brought a 6oz cup and got told he could only get 4oz because Phil had a 4oz cup and got his cup filled to the top.

They both got the same amount, and its only in one situation because every other time, Andy and Phil could fill theirs up, even though they got unequal amounts in the end of 6oz and 4oz respectively

oh my god what am i reading

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
to many people, you can look at the digital foundry article, they were extremely impressed. along with many posters here back in the day.
Heh, you *REALLY* like the look of Red Dead Redemption.

I think it's a nice looking game but it never really knocked my socks off, to be honest.

EGM1966

We now need that wrestling gif with "it was dynamic all along"...

Can't believe this thread devolved into a PS3 vs 360 debate. That was very "what year is it".

Anyway I guess XB1 having dynamic resolution vs PS4 apparently holding solid 1080p/30fps should appease everyone (mostly)

carl32

Banned
People will be moaning that XB1 should only be 1080p 60% of the time instead of 87% because of the 40% more power of the PS4 GPU :)

Metfanant

I'll still take Killzone over Halo as the best looking FPS last gen...Uncharted 3/TLoU stand above everything else...

GTA V is IMO a better looking game than RDR...and the PS3 version was better there...

Top Bottom