• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Ghoul:re |OT| SUPER PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Hey GAF! This series is great so I thought we need a thread to talk about it

Tokyo Ghoul:re is the sequel to the popular Tokyo Ghoul manga/anime, it's serialized weekly and it's been progressing really fast lately. There're already 62 chapters released in a little over a year. Background info on wiki for the original TG:
The story follows Ken Kaneki, a college student who barely survives a deadly encounter with Rize Kamishiro, his date who reveals herself as a ghoul, and is taken to the hospital in critical condition. After recovering, Kaneki discovers that somehow he underwent a surgery that transformed him into a half-ghoul by transferring some of Rize's organs into his body, as she died when she attacked him, and just like them, he must consume human flesh to survive as well. With no one else to turn to, he is taken in by the ghouls who manage the coffee shop "Anteiku", who teach him to deal with his new life as a half-human/half-ghoul, including interacting with ghoul society and its conflicting factions, while striving to keep his identity secret from other humans.

The original manga has 14 volumes and it ended with a shit load of foreshadowing and a cliff hanger, and a sequel happened, called Tokyo Ghoul:re (spoilers obviously):

The protagonist lost his memories at the end of the series and the CCG took him in and made him an investigator, changed his name and everything.

Well anyway I just thought it'd be cool to paste some shit to make the OP look cool, I just want a thread to talk about it.

For those of you who don't keep up with the latest chapter or are still reading/watching the original TG. Get out unless you want to be spoiled!

Posts after the OP will be full of spoilers and shit, let's goooo.

0aRDDkR.png

mhuD5fk.jpg

Tizoc

I thought it was weird you posted the synopsis of OG Tokyo Ghoul.
Will see if re is better since I dropped the OG manga aftre a while.

Anteater

I thought it was weird you posted the synopsis of OG Tokyo Ghoul.
Will see if re is better since I dropped the OG manga aftre a while.

you didn't like the OG TG? it was pretty good, it's also one of those plots that felt simple on first read, but at the end you noticed but the author actually put in a lot of details and foreshadowing, this carries over to the sequel as well

there's a lot of theories about it so I thought it'd be cool for discussion

but yeah go finish TG, it's not very long either

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand why they even call it a sequel. It's just a time-skip of the same manga - there was like a 3 week break in between them publication-wise. It's the Dragon Ball Z to Dragon Ball (a distinction which didn't even exist in the manga), except without even having the tone shift that DB --> DBZ has.

Anteater

I don't understand why they even call it a sequel. It's just a time-skip of the same manga - there was like a 3 week break in between them publication-wise. It's the Dragon Ball Z to Dragon Ball (a distinction which didn't even exist in the manga), except without even having the tone shift that DB --> DBZ has.

yeah it was, but i think the tone felt like a major reboot so I think that's what the author wanted to do.

Also the story structure is very similar and is written parallel to the original on purpose too, like the first volume for the OG was about Nishiki Nishio, while in :re it's about Serpent, and the second arc was similar to Kaneki dealing with Ghoul Restaurant.

I originally thought it was a waste to start all over but now that Kaneki is back in the picture I think it's kind of well thought out especially if you take the most recent reveals into consideration and apply them to the original TG.

Re: started off excruciatingly slow but it was worth it looking back. Where we currently are in the manga is exciting to say the least. I'm really liking the direction they've taken Kaneki and the questions that his character now raises.

As a sidenote: I'd really like them to explain how the hell Arima is so damn powerful as a human.

Anteater

Re: started off excruciatingly slow but it was worth it looking back. Where we currently are in the manga is exciting to say the least. I'm really liking the direction they've taken Kaneki and the questions that his character now raises.

As a sidenote: I'd really like them to explain how the hell Arima is so damn powerful as a human.

haha I thought so too but compared to TG it's actually not toooo slow, there's been a lot more progression in the 5 volumes released in :re than TG

Have you read the most recent chapters for :re? Arima I think is most likely
raised by V
, there's also a few human characters that are awkward, Furuta and even Hide are very weird human characters that are very sensitive to ghouls

Asturie

I've actually been thinking of reading from the beginning of TG. I basically have no idea whats going on with Re right now. Too many characters.

Anteater

I've actually been thinking of reading from the beginning of TG. I basically have no idea whats going on with Re right now. Too many characters.

characters in :re are mostly ccg, I don't mind them, I think their backstories are worth it at the end, characters like Suzuya were pretty awesome.

but in the original TG we're in the ghouls' perspective so both sides balanced out and were interesting, while in :re it's been nothing but the CCG.

Ah yes, the manga with too many goddamn characters I don't give a Shit about that has abandoned everything I liked about the first series.

it's ok

Clegg

I loved the ending of Tokyo Ghoul and was looking forward to Re, but I've taken a break from it for a while as it went too far down the mental and psychological route for my tastes.

What's happening with Kaneki? Is he reverting to his old self. What's happened with the original characters?

The conversation between Kaneki and Eto actually makes sense if you think about it.

Like during that 6 month timeskip why didn't Kaneki capture Eto immediately if he knew who Eto was unless he had a plan. Both of there confrontations in chapter 62 was a bit fishy. Plus from what I know CCG don't really know the difference between SSS Owl and the regular small S Eto. Either this has to do with Kaneki trying to break out Hinami because her execution is almost here or I'm just completely off the mark.

Ishida is too unpredictable.

Anteater

I loved the ending of Tokyo Ghoul and was looking forward to Re, but I've taken a break from it for a while as it went too far down the mental and psychological route for my tastes.

What's happening with Kaneki? Is he reverting to his old self. What's happened with the original characters?

If you don't mind spoilers, Kaneki's
memories are back (matter of time anyway
), some original characters were involved, and quite a few things were unveiled that might affect some characters introduced in the original TG

Tokyo ghoul re spoilers:
takizawa i think is truly the most tragic character in the series so far, like sure i feel bad for kaneki but how do i explain it... Kaneki never had true happiness like takizawa did, also takizawa is basically what basically what kaneki would have become if he didnt have antekiu in his life. He basically bit off more than he can chew when he joined the ccg, the boy was never expecting to actually have to fight ghouls for reals. Then the aigori possibly, maybe, perhaps made him eat his mother, the person whom he wrote his farewell letter to. What makes it worst is that there still is a little piece of him somewhere in there, you can tell by how he was ashamed when he saw that girl whos name I forgot. I truly feel so sorry for him :( i hope he somehow finds peace, even if its in death

Anteater

The conversation between Kaneki and Eto actually makes sense if you think about it.

Like during that 6 month timeskip why didn't Kaneki capture Eto immediately if he knew who Eto was unless he had a plan. Both of there confrontations in chapter 62 was a bit fishy. Plus from what I know CCG don't really know the difference between SSS Owl and the regular small S Eto. Either this has to do with Kaneki trying to break out Hinami because her execution is almost here or I'm just completely off the mark.

Ishida is too unpredictable.

CCG know Kaneki is after the one eyed owl, Kaneki told them in the meeting

Eto (bandage girl) was still listed as S rated because Kaneki didn't tell the CCG she's the same person as the one eyed owl, he originally got that info from Nico so he only revealed to CCG that OEO is Takatsuki, he investigated Takatsuki because he saw her face in the fight.

The whole six months where Kaneki wasn't making any move is fishy tho

Savitar

This had an interesting premise and so many times could have went in cool places but in the end just spun around. The change that happened to start RE basically was the whole thing going down the drain.

Such wasted potential.

Anteater

Tokyo ghoul re spoilers:
takizawa i think is truly the most tragic character in the series so far, like sure i feel bad for kaneki but how do i explain it... Kaneki never had true happiness like takizawa did, also takizawa is basically what basically what kaneki would have become if he didnt have antekiu in his life. He basically bit off more than he can chew when he joined the ccg, the boy was never expecting to actually have to fight ghouls for reals. Then the aigori possibly, maybe, perhaps made him eat his mother, the person whom he wrote his farewell letter to. What makes it worst is that there still is a little piece of him somewhere in there, you can tell by how he was ashamed when he saw that girl whos name I forgot. I truly feel so sorry for him :( i hope he somehow finds peace, even if its in death

Yeah I think Takizawa's character is what Kaneki would be if he didn't have any friends. Although I think Amon is supposed to be the important character for Takizawa, and we know that dude in the cloak is probably Amon but we don't know why there's a split where they're on a different path and why Takizawa becomes a nutcase

Anteater

Just read the latest chapter.

I hope Ishida explains what transpired between the island and the last incident.

Chapter is weird, assuming there's a time gap between the island and the current chapter, which makes perfect sense, but I can't see why she would want to hand herself in

This had an interesting premise and so many times could have went in cool places but in the end just spun around. The change that happened to start RE basically was the whole thing going down the drain.

Such wasted potential.

I can understand why some would not like the change that occurred in Re. However, it's a vital change that needed to occur for Kaneki's progression. He needs to have a perspective on the CCG side not just the Ghoul side in order to be a bridge between Ghouls and Humans. Just being a Ghoul would get him nowhere and accomplish nothing which is why the original ended a tragedy. Being a investigator gives him more power than being a Ghoul. So I believe that Kaneki being an investigator was inevitable and a important plot point.

Inb4 we get a new sequel over the V side.

Anteater

i can't wait to see more about Arima's background and personality

just look at him, he's got all the facial expressions since the original but he's only been close to kaneki/sasaki most recently

pvpz3.png

arimae2r5t.jpg

I can understand why some would not like the change that occurred in Re. However, it's a vital change that needed to occur for Kaneki's progression. He needs to have a perspective on the CCG side not just the Ghoul side in order to be a bridge between Ghouls and Humans. Just being a Ghoul would get him nowhere and accomplish nothing which is why the original ended a tragedy. Being a investigator gives him more power than being a Ghoul. So I believe that Kaneki being an investigator was inevitable and a important plot point.

Inb4 we get a new sequel over the V side.

kaneki's character was going no where in TG as soon as he thought to go back to anteiku anyway

I do wonder if we'll get a third part, but I can't imagine it being about kaneki if it does happen, :re is about 1/3 done if we're going by the original TG release

Qurupeke

I have to say that Eto has really grown on me. I have no idea of what she's doing, but with V being relevant again, it seems that she will either die or she will team up with Kaneki. I have a feeling that V/Arima are the real enemy now, not Aogiri.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I really, really dug the first manga series, binge read it some time ago. I tried jumping into :re right after, then dropped it because I was having a hard time getting into it and decided to let more chapters accumulate before I gave it another shot.

I think it's time for me to pick it back up again. I can deal better with the time skip and different focus now since I'm not that involved with the characters and circumstances of the first series as much as I was as soon as I finished it.

Shame that the anime apparently turned out bad from what I heard. It did give us an excellent soundtrack though.

I love the series. It probably coulda been the next big thing if the anime kept the same art style, or even just stayed away from being extraordinarily badly animated. Such a shame how badly the anime turned out. Tokyo Ghoul :re started off really slow, but now it has had a few months of pure action and excitement. I really do think that the ending will be Arima vs Kaneki (with maybe Eto and Touka's help).

I love the way they draw the characters going crazy:

Just thinking about the anime leaves me feeling sad about how awesome it could have been. Definitely recommend people read the manga.

I'm actually suprised someone other than me made a Thread about Tokyo Ghoul.

I was seriously thinking about making one too lol.

Too many characters, just tell me when he finally teams up with Touka again.

I did like pt 2 though, i got to like chapter 30+ before i kinda stopped reading but I'll pick it up again.

Too many characters, just tell me when he finally teams up with Touka again.

I did like pt 2 though, i got to like chapter 30+ before i kinda stopped reading but I'll pick it up again.

From the look of things, that might be a while. She only recently had a small cameo at the end of the last concluded arc.

I love this series, but Ishida really needs to start tying up loose ends more quickly. There's far too many mysteries and too much time spent on flavorless bit characters. The drip-feed made the big moments (mostly the Haise-Kaneki ones) exciting in the beginning of :Re, but now I just feel like I'm being blue-balled. Chapter 61 somehow did a lot of explaining, yet somehow managed to raise more questions.

I want to trust Ishida's foresight, but I'm starting to have my doubts. I hope he can figure out how to get all the pieces to fall into place.

TG:Re took a similair route to Attack on Titan where it set up all these mysteries and then completely diverged and sidetracked itself for a year on shit I didn't care about.

I only watched the anime and they were painfully awful. Cute waifu, though.

the anime is a really bad representation of the actual work, its a shame because overall it just damages the value of Tokyo Ghoul, bad move on the managaka for agreeing to work with such as hit animation studio.
TG:Re took a similair route to Attack on Titan where it set up all these mysteries and then completely diverged and sidetracked itself for a year on shit I didn't care about.

oh man i eventually dropped attack on titan, it was so interesting but then for like more than a year it went on with this bs on how they're gonna make the 2 face girl queen, like i couldn't give less of a fuck about that.

phaze

Ishida even showed you on volume cover, he's a bloody one-eyed too.
kruemelmonster9bq1o.gif

Anteater

I doubt Arima is a ghoul, but they're pretty weird human characters that are especially strong, he and furuta don't seem to have regeneration abilities from what we've shown

Arima, Furuta and Hide are characters that were shown to have really special deductive ability, Furuta can tell Touka was a ghoul when he first met her, Arima in Tokyo Ghoul Jack was able to figure out who the culprit was, Hide was able to escape and avoid ghouls and continue to investigate

phaze

Furuta seemed completely healed when the assault of Aogiri on the transports is shown just a bit later. Maybe they can just control their regeneration ? The guy blocked Matsumae's kagune with his bare hand, can figure out, Touka is a ghoul in 5 seconds, no matter how you slice it, he ain't human. :p

Anteater

nah it wasn't clear but he was still wounded, wouldn't make sense if he healed himself right after if he can control it, the small cut on Arima in the original TG didn't get healed for days too

ELH2cbk.jpg

if they're ghouls then they probably had their RC heavily suppressed, which I suppose is possible, and would make sense since V seems to be a ghoul (or mixed) organization

This could be a hint about Furuta as well (which at the time we probably thought she's talking about half ghouls like Kaneki and her), Furuta made his first appearance 2 chapters after this scene:

98fNU33.jpg

Mendrox

Read the first manga till chapter 91? Too many characters are there now and the art style confuses the shit out of me sadly. :( Anime was trash.

Kyuur

Was wondering why no one was discussing the latest chapter in the Manga OT!

Guess I'll crosspost from there:

Great chapter, we're starting to see Eto's motivations and I think Aogiri's goals will be revealed soon. Looks like she was reading her mom's notes about V?

Interested to see where her turning herself in goes. Despite her power I don't think she could deal with Arima/Kaneki/other special classes all at once. Seems like a very calculated move to me.

For more general discussion, I really like the 'expanded world' approach that Tokyo Ghoul and other manga take. There's more to the world than the initial cast and that every portion of Kaneki's story would include them is a ridiculous trope. It actually makes it feel like a real world as opposed to a world designed for the characters to explore.

I do understand those who have trouble keeping track of minor characters though (and sometimes major when time skips and designs change). I benefit from enjoying the story so much that I've read it multiple times, which helps cement smaller characters in my mind. I don't mind going back to previous chapters to help me comprehend new ones either.

phaze

Was wondering why no one was discussing the latest chapter in the Manga OT!

Guess I'll crosspost from there:

Great chapter, we're starting to see Eto's motivations and I think Aogiri's goals will be revealed soon. Looks like she was reading her mom's notes about V?

We kinda knew all that already from part 1 though. V with their "balance" was clearly what Kanou talked about and he later said he has the same goal as Aogiri Not to mention that Eto's desire for revenge on murderers of their mother would come off as no surprise

I do understand those who have trouble keeping track of minor characters though (and sometimes major when time skips and designs change). I benefit from enjoying the story so much that I've read it multiple times, which helps cement smaller characters in my mind. I don't mind going back to previous chapters to help me comprehend new ones either.

I remember hating any panel time spent on Takizawa and Houji (couldn't remember him at all) but now I'm glad we got them. These long continuous story arcs for even the minor characters is part of why I like TG.

--------
Batmon when. ;_; It doesn't seem as if this arc had a focus on him either.

We kinda knew all that already from part 1 though. V with their "balance" was clearly what Kanou talked about and he later said he has the same goal as Aogiri Not to mention that Eto's desire for revenge on murderers of their mother would come off as no surprise

I remember hating any panel time spent on Takizawa and Houji (couldn't remember him at all) but now I'm glad we got them. These long continuous story arcs for even the minor characters is part of why I like TG.

--------
Batmon when. ;_; It doesn't seem as if this arc had a focus on him either.

Honestly the screen time both Takizawa and Houji got in Part 1 is highly significant especially if there will be an eventual confrontation between the two in Re.

Anteater

ch 63 spoilers

so Kaiko from TG returns and asked Furuta to keep an eye on Kaneki/Eto, but they don't seem to have a clue whether she's the "king", so I assume they probably don't know all of Aogiri/Eto's plan.

Also Sunlite garden was mentioned, guess it's V's institute.

and Eto got a haircut, that's the most important part of the chapter

ch 63 spoilers

so Kaiko from TG returns and asked Furuta to keep an eye on Kaneki/Eto, but they don't seem to have a clue whether she's the "king", so I assume they probably don't know all of Aogiri/Eto's plan.

Also Sunlite garden was mentioned, guess it's V's institute.

and Eto got a haircut, that's the most important part of the chapter

It's like you forgot about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom