• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush Remastered |OT| Kat's out of the Vita

Wagram

I actually don't think the combat in Gravity Rush needs to be that deep. Part of the reason I'm loving this is due to it having a 5th or 6th console generation simplicity, almost calling back to that golden age of 3D platformers. It doesn't do much, but what it does it's pretty tremendous at. All Gravity Rush 2 has to do is offer more dynamic enemies that encourage more movement, chases, and dodging. Not once have I thought to myself "This needs a deeper combo system."

The game gives me heavy Sly Cooper/Spyro/Crash kinda vibes. Gravity Rush 2 has a lot of potential based on the 10 or so missions i've done so far.

Dominator

I bought this game at launch on Vita, and sadly never played it more than probably 30 minutes. Just got caught up in other things and never went back.

I'm about to Platinum this amazing game right now and I'm so happy that I played it.

Soaring through the air in any video game is something I cherish, and this game probably does it the best I've ever seen. Bluepoint really stepped up too, this game looks fantastic for where it came from.

Cant wait for the sequel.

Oh man, the scale of Vendecentre. You can ascend and freefall here for days.

Can't stop salivating at the thought of what they're gonna be able to do with the sequel.

Shahed

The combat is fine on the floor. It just needs better options innthe air since you can really only Gravity Kick at times. Those long air snakes things such as the 3rd special Nevi are just annoying.

Johndoey

Banned
It's all subjective of course, but does anyone have an impression on the overall quality of the writing?
Edit:
It's very anime. Not bad anime, but it's subject to a lot of the same conventions. Like there's a certain level of obfuscation for obfuscation's sake, the amnesia device is still dumb even if I think it's a good example of how to use it...

It's not especially deep or amazing, but what's there is fine. Not a lot of cringy moments, in part because Kat is handled a lot better than the average anime-type heroine. It's a solid if simple game story.

Thanks for the answer, a bit disappointing but i'll just back-burner it for now.

VRMN

It's all subjective of course, but does anyone have an impression on the overall quality of the writing?
It's very anime. Not bad anime, but it's subject to a lot of the same conventions. Like there's a certain level of obfuscation for obfuscation's sake, the amnesia device is still dumb even if I think it's a good example of how to use it...

It's not especially deep or amazing, but what's there is fine. Not a lot of cringy moments, in part because Kat is handled a lot better than the average anime-type heroine. It's a solid if simple game story.

Thanks for the answer, a bit disappointing but i'll just back-burner it for now.

Don't play Gravity Rush for the story. Play it because it is a joy to PLAY. It's incredibly fun to move around in the world.

I actually don't think the combat in Gravity Rush needs to be that deep. Part of the reason I'm loving this is due to it having a 5th or 6th console generation simplicity, almost calling back to that golden age of 3D platformers. It doesn't do much, but what it does it's pretty tremendous at. All Gravity Rush 2 has to do is offer more dynamic enemies that encourage more movement, chases, and dodging. Not once have I thought to myself "This needs a deeper combo system."

It doesn't need to be deeper to be better. There's room for improvement in all existing facets of combat. Dodging could be better, gravity slide could be made more useful for dodging during a fight, stasis field use could be streamlined, and so forth. Midair combat against other flying rival-types is great as is, same with the general movement (and all combat directly reliant on shifting, i.e. midair stuff). If there's going to be a lot of combat, I want to see better realization of the combat in GR1. It doesn't need t be an entirely different beast, just a better one.

If you don't move beyond the first area, yes that is true.

Regardless, color will be welcome in GR2.

sora87

Screw it, I'm gonna buy it digitally, I can't wait until shopto get more stock lol.
Ugh, digital :(

Damn! I thought you got the cool dynamic theme with the game :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I wish people would stop using 'anime' as some sort of generalisti negative connotation for literally everything they dont like

VRMN

I wish people would stop using 'anime' as some sort of generalisti negative connotation for literally everything they dont like
I like anime. It's still undeniable that there is a certain style anime and manga have that many western works don't. Like, Gravity Rush very much wants Kat to be cute in addition to being a badass-in-training. I'm not sure you'd see that in a western work to the same degree. It's not bad, it's different.

I've been playing for the past 3 days. I haven't beaten the story yet but I've completed every challenge with a gold medal. So far, I'm loving just about everything about Gravity Rush. Here are my likes/dislikes.

+ Kat. Shes a great protagonist. I would love to see her with Sonys other mascots (Crash, Drake, Kratos, etc...)

+ The rest of the cast. Syd, Raven, Dusty, etc...They're all great. Even the ungrateful citizens (the man/son whos house you "destroyed") are fun.

+Traversal. Holy shit is it fun to fall across town.

+ Combat. I think it's great. Unlike a lot of games, I actually look forward to enemy encounters.

+ Story. It's not greatest, but I've enjoyed it so far :). The Travelers storyline so far reminds me of a Doctor Who episode.

+ Art Style. While the graphics aren't great (didn't expect it to considering it's a Vita port), the art style is incredible.

- You can tell its a Vita port. It just lacks the "polish" of a console/pc game. You can tell where they made sacrifices.

- Voice Over. I wish there was more of it. My favorite cutscenes are when Kat is narrating. I would love to see the sequel get the full VO treatment (in the made up language of coarse)

Overall I'm having a blast with the game. I really eager to see what improvements we see in Gravity Rush 2.

DKHF

Finished the story two hours ago (would have sooner but played very little in the last two days).

Overall it's a good game with a lot of charm and an interesting but at times predictable story. Kat is an awesome protagonist which is obviously helped by her being by far the most fleshed out character in the game. The supporting characters Raven, Gade and Syd are solid but I would have liked to see more of them (and the same goes for the villains). There is a lot of loose ends in the story that I would have liked to have received some closure on (not all but some) in this game and would have made GR better as a standalone game, but it sets up GR2 nicely I guess.
I would have liked to have Kat's background as a queen and her amnesia explained/shown fully instead of just being heavily hinted at/teased and more on the creators/the GR universe

In terms of gameplay, the aerial movement is amazing and I would be fine with it staying the same in GR2. Flying around the city to destinations was always at least somewhat fun unlike in many other open world games. Combat though, wasn't great and got repetitive pretty fast (even with the special moves because they take a while to recharge, and throwing objects which I didn't find that effective). I would like to see it improved in GR2, which I think it will be with the new gravity styles being added.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just finished playing this morning for the first time on PS4. I like the general movement, using a combination of right stick and motion to aim your gravity direction. It gets a bit confusing when you go under the towns to find gems and the timer starts running out - I can lose my bearings quickly. It would be good to have some kind of 'up' or 'down' indicator that shows which direction I'll fall if my gauge runs out.

Gravity slide is horrible. Too often the camera ends up tilted down so you can't see where you're going, and the right stick doesn't seem to do anything.

Combat is ok but breaks down if you have to be in the air. The flying enemies you often miss are frustrating. 'd like some better way to lock onto a red blob and then my gravity kick homes on it. I just did a fight with
raven
and that was crap. I could barely follow the target let alone attack or fight well. Ended up cheesing by using my special attacks from distance.

Any tips as to which powers to put gems into? I've been focusing on the gauge and my gravity kick mostly

dan2026

Honestly I feel this game had a lot of squandered potential.

It gives you cool powers and then cant give you anything more interesting to do than races and smash x number of enemies.

Its just a bit of a waste.

Ferr986

Just finished playing this morning for the first time on PS4. I like the general movement, using a combination of right stick and motion to aim your gravity direction. It gets a bit confusing when you go under the towns to find gems and the timer starts running out - I can lose my bearings quickly. It would be good to have some kind of 'up' or 'down' indicator that shows which direction I'll fall if my gauge runs out.

Gravity slide is horrible. Too often the camera ends up tilted down so you can't see where you're going, and the right stick doesn't seem to do anything.

Combat is ok but breaks down if you have to be in the air. The flying enemies you often miss are frustrating. 'd like some better way to lock onto a red blob and then my gravity kick homes on it. I just did a fight with
raven
and that was crap. I could barely follow the target let alone attack or fight well. Ended up cheesing by using my special attacks from distance.

Any tips as to which powers to put gems into? I've been focusing on the gauge and my gravity kick mostly

Use Kat hair as an indicator. Her hair always follow regular gravity rule.

Ogawa-san

Shifting speed so you can get easier golds on race challenges. Then use the gold rewards to upgrade stuff you need for other challenges.

Coda

It gets a bit confusing when you go under the towns to find gems and the timer starts running out - I can lose my bearings quickly. It would be good to have some kind of 'up' or 'down' indicator that shows which direction I'll fall if my gauge runs out.

A good indicator of where you are in relation to gravity is to look at Kat's hair and clothes. If they are moving in a direction that means that you are defying gravity and if her hair and clothes are just falling normally then you are not defying gravity, it's subtle but it's a nice way of indicating your orientation.

Nameless

It's a shame Spotify doesn't work with this, throwing on some chill music and just losing yourself soaring around is wonderfully relaxing.

I never had problems with the Gravity Slide in the original, but it's mostly because I figured out how to use it despite the misleading in-game description; it worked well if you basically use your Vita as a steering wheel. How has it changed for this port? My copy arrived on Tuesday but I've been so busy with work I haven't even had a chance to unbox it.

black070

I never had problems with the Gravity Slide in the original, but it's mostly because I figured out how to use it despite the misleading in-game description; it worked well if you basically use your Vita as a steering wheel. How has it changed for this port? My copy arrived on Tuesday but I've been so busy with work I haven't even had a chance to unbox it.

You can forgo touch controls completely and just initiate it by holding L2 and R2 and moving Kat with the analogs - it's much more simpler and coupled with the boost to the framerate, much more responsive too. Gold is almost guranteed with every slide challenge as a result.

Coda

Is anyone experiencing janky running controls sometimes when playing? Kat will just stop and judder for a second and start running again; it's really annoying and is really my only complaint with the game so far.

Kas

I'll be getting it off Amazon on Monday, so I should have it sometime next week. Pretty stoked to be able to play it again.

dock

Just bought it digitally on a whim. I love it! It reminds me of Infamous First Light.
I'd love to see new games with modest spec graphics and 60 fps like this.

black070

Just bought it digitally on a whim. I love it! It reminds me of Infamous First Light.
I'd love to see new games with modest spec graphics and 60 fps like this.

Agreed, buttery smooth 60 fps makes games like this and Tearaway Unfolded flourish.

Just had this happen to me...luckily I had a save just before it happened....got stuck on a damn platform is not good. But enjoying the hell out of the game again

Glitch

ike_

Just had this happen to me...luckily I had a save just before it happened....got stuck on a damn platform is not good. But enjoying the hell out of the game again

Glitch

Yeah, been mentioned once or twice in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194365992&postcount=677

Not sure that "delete and reinstall" suggestion is going to help much. Hopefully auto saves after missions should keep you from losing too much progress if it happens again, and I guess saving somewhat frequently if you are just dinking around collecting gems is probably a good idea.

Is anyone experiencing janky running controls sometimes when playing? Kat will just stop and judder for a second and start running again; it's really annoying and is really my only complaint with the game so far.
That has happened to me a few times, usually when I go from standing still to a run. It's weird and only happens sometimes but I've definitely noticed it. No idea why it happens.

I would try other games to make sure there's not a dead zone on your controller. I thought the same thing about Destiny until I realized it was the controller.

Shahed

Yeah this happened to me a lot and it was quite annoying. There's a mission later where there's a lot of gems to collect as you go from platform to platform. I'm pretty sure this happened as I waw falling and caused me to miss a lot of gems and platforms entirely. I'd think I would make it easy and then suddenly stop start in the air and miss

Not that there's a shortage of gems at all but it's still annoying. That and air combat are my only problems in a fantastic and fun ride

Everything, honestly. Ground kicks and stasis field are seriously underappreciated. Stasis field especially is extremely good in combat. Just remember to hold circle to pick up multiple objects (you can pick up more with each upgrade). Should solve your combat woes to - the nevi that dodge your gravity kicks are meant to be attacked with thrown objects. Same thing with armor.

Read an interesting thing online today about how some think that Dusty is
a Nevi
. Maybe I need to pay more attention to the story this time through. Still not too far on the remaster, hoping to get some time tonight.

Read an interesting thing online today about how some think that Dusty is
a Nevi
. Maybe I need to pay more attention to the story this time through. Still not too far on the remaster, hoping to get some time tonight.
I think it's clear they're the same general class of being, though obviously he has some significant differences.
No weak point, made of space stuff instead of red goop, and the big one: bestows gravity powers. Him getting sick from nevi poison was definitely meaningful though.

Top Bottom