• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

MouldyK

A Look into Map Size so far:

This is taken from the latest Trailer (12 h 48 min (844 miles) according to Google Maps):

12622230_10204555939212608_1136077450097633159_o.jpg

This is the longest trip I had on ETS2 at the time of this picture (23 h 34 min (1,354 miles) according to Google Maps):

3D5F2B5E16D4C84EDFCD826360411F6705D2303A

So in terms of Long Routes, Arizona will start getting us quite a few long routes...which will only get longer!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So in terms of Long Routes, Arizona will start getting us quite a few long routes...which will only get longer!

Yep, the map in ATS starts out smaller than ETS2 but with what they have planned it will in time be much, much larger, and more importantly with a greater variety in environments and cities.

That thread title is embarrassingly bad. It is too long and a mouthful. (no pun intended)

When it comes to working with heavy loads, length matters!

MouldyK

The scale between ETS and ATS is different (1:19 vs 1:32), so ATS trips will be shorter for now at least.

Yeah, but it still gives a nice reflection that while it is small, it's a great starting point.

A job from Eureka, CA to Tucson, AZ should be even longer than that from Elko, NV to Tucson, AZ

17 h 44 min (1,131 miles) according to Google Maps.

So longer, but still not ETS2 Long.

Nishastra

Banned
As someone who has driven between Las Vegas and San Francisco numerous times, I'm looking forward to seeing it in this game :p

Makikou

Yeah, but it still gives a nice reflection that while it is small, it's a great starting point.

17 h 44 min (1,131 miles) according to Google Maps.

So longer, but still not ETS2 Long.

Yeah, but it is indeed longer. The road to and from Eureka is amazing by the way :)

EDIT:
ETS2MP.com is now http://wotr-mp.com/. They already list support for ATS. I'm guessing it will be released when the game is. :)

LordAmused

I will still buy this because I absolutely love Euro Truck 2, but holy crap I was not expecting $30.

Yeah, I expect to cave in as soon as it is available even if it's, as you said, a little more expansive than expected.

There are already dozens of mods available, looks like it is pretty quick to convert from ETS2 to ATS.

MouldyK

Yeah, but it is indeed longer. The road to and from Eureka is amazing by the way :)

Okay, I found a Scale Calculator, so here it goes:

ETS2's 1,339 Mile Journey would be 70 Miles with the Scale of 1:19

ATS' 1,032 Mile Journey would be 32.25 Miles with the Scale of 1:32.

...an if we want to live in the world of Fantasy for a Moment:

- San Fran, CA - Houston, TX would be 1,929 in Real Life, so like 60.28 Miles in ATS maybe.

- San Fran, CA - New York, NY would be 2,906 in Real Life, so like 90.81 Miles in ATS.

So yeah, if the Scale is to be believed, we are quite far away from ETS2-Length Journeys...but at least they'll be more varied?

Piggus

Is that Hilt, CA at the very top of the map? Used to get damn good milkshakes there. Having such a tiny town gives hope that my own town will be in once Oregon is available.

cyress8

Banned
My God, that OT title. I'm just posting to keep it on the first page.

Seriously, the game looks pretty damn good. Low budget game devs are stepping up their game.

Oddly enough driving a real rig sucks ass. For me anyway. Had a hand at my Dad's friend truck and shit feels awful.

Oculus support?? After my countless drives in Euro Truck Simulator, I can't imagine playing this game without VR haha.

Oculus support is coming. The VR dev didn't confirm it for launch, but if it wasn't in by then it would be the next day or so.
What time does games normally get released on Steam??

It's up to the devs. They are pushing for release several hours before midnight CET, but they didn't specify exact time in case of unforeseen circumstances.

sueil

I got my wheel setup and ready to go. Gonna drive from San Francisco to LA while watching Giant Bomb and pretend I am driving the truck to E3.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Can't wait for the Texas DLC so everyone can experience I-10, the most boring stretch of drive between El Paso and San Antonio.

I've been on I-10 in Texas with my Harley, yeah it's quite the road. Couldn't wait to get out of Texas and into New Mexico, lol.

Oddly enough driving a real rig sucks ass. For me anyway. Had a hand at my Dad's friend truck and shit feels awful.

How old was the rig you drove? My ex wife drives a newer Freightliner for a living, and it's actually pretty awesome to drive. The air ride seats are super plush, and you feel like you are piloting a starship when you're at the wheel of one of those things. The stereo kicks ass too!

LordAmused

I remember in the old 18 Wheels of Steel games you could hook up a trailer and go wherever you wanted without getting penalties for not delivering a load. Is there a mod in ETS2/Coming to ATS that would allow me to hook up a trailer and just free roam with it? You could take whatever goods that fit in the trailer at any company on the map and deliver it at your own pace, like an owner operator with his own truck+trailer set.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I hope there's a Canada expansion pack with borders and everything, would be cool :D

cyress8

Banned
I've been on I-10 in Texas with my Harley, yeah it's quite the road. Couldn't wait to get out of Texas and into New Mexico, lol.

How old was the rig you drove? My ex wife drives a newer Freightliner for a living, and it's actually pretty awesome to drive. The air ride seats are super plush, and you feel like you are piloting a starship when you're at the wheel of one of those things. The stereo kicks ass too!

I'll need to ask him, but I know it was not a modern one probably late 90s? He bought it used also so we had to do some work on it when he brought it down.

Can't wait to play this.

Setup my TrackIR last night and played a little ETS2 to prepare myself. Glad to see I can just right into it after work.

Edit: anyone know if hightway 101 that runs along the CA coast is in the game?

Jonbo298

I thought it released tomorrow, nope! Instant purchase because I loved ETS2. Good way to enjoy this snow day here.

Bought. I'm still very sceptical though. Graphics engine still seems to have the same problems, the UI looked already outdated in ETS2 and it's exactly the same in ATS, very few trucks. I guess that's what steam refund is for, I'll give it a try!

BloodR0se

How the almighty fuck is this the biggest selling game on Steam right now?

It's actually knocked XCOM 2 off the top spot and I thought for sure that place would be secured for at least the next week or so.

Top Bottom