• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

How the almighty fuck is this the biggest selling game on Steam right now?

Have you played Euro Truck Simulator 2? It's actually one of the very few Simulator games that was fun.

Not surprised that this would be a top seller, especially getting a banner on the front page of the store.

Question for those who have it:

1. Can you see into Arizona on the World Map, or at least tell what the towns are on the Jobs map?
2. What is the town on I-10 on the California side of the CA-AZ border?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Bought. I'm still very sceptical though. Graphics engine still seems to have the same problems, the UI looked already outdated in ETS2 and it's exactly the same in ATS, very few trucks. I guess that's what steam refund is for, I'll give it a try!

More trucks are coming very soon, just waiting on licensing, and a DX11 engine upgrade will be patched in this year too.

It's actually knocked XCOM 2 off the top spot and I thought for sure that place would be secured for at least the next week or so.

Because it's actually a really great game? Very popular too, ETS2 is still high on the Steam active users playing lists.

BloodR0se

Have you played Euro Truck Simulator 2? It's actually one of the very few Simulator games that was fun.

Yes, I have it but I haven't played much of it. It's one of those that I bought in a Steam Christmas sale years ago and then just added to the pile.

I think Sky Saw hit the nail on the head though. The pricing is going to be at impulse buy level for a lot of people.

101 has to be in. It's too scenic and iconic to miss out on.

Beautiful coastal route.

I hope so. The map pictures i've seen aren't very clear. Of course, the Golden Gate bridge is there and that's 101, so here's hoping.

Would be nice to see if my town's there, but I won't count on it.

MouldyK

Man, what with me not used to having to obey Speed Laws and the fact I can't park and hit my trailer against things...

...I regret deciding to go the route of "No Bank Loans" because i'll never be in profit.

U2NUMB

Bought... awesome that its out today!!! Too bad I am stuck at work :(

Edit: Achievements look fairly easy and straight forward

Sober

Man, what with me not used to having to obey Speed Laws and the fact I can't park and hit my trailer against things...

...I regret deciding to go the route of "No Bank Loans" because i'll never be in profit.
Hell I started playing ETS and I still haven't taken out a loan to do the whole management part of the game. Just doing quick jobs after like 12 hours of game time. Still enjoyable to me.

Aaron D.

I hope so. The map pictures i've seen aren't very clear. Of course, the Golden Gate bridge is there and that's 101, so here's hoping.

Would be nice to see if my town's there, but I won't count on it.

Yeah, it's super-exciting to see SCS visit NA territories with ATS, but I also have to remember that it will be flavors of west coast environments with some touchstone iconography, but not much more than that.

In spite of being an East-coaster, I've got family in Carlsbad (near San Diego), Menlo Park SF, Auburn (near Sac) and more, so I know the roads really well. I just need to check myself that it's not going to be a 1:1 representation.

It will be glorious either way though. I'm sure SCS will capture the flavor of the various CA climates.

sqwarlock

Having lived in Arizona and then California for almost my entire life—2 1/2 years in CT and 4 months in NY don't really count as east coast living—I'm still incredibly excited for this game. I've driven to Vegas a lot from my home in Irvine since my GF lived there when we met, and I've made the CA-AZ trip more times than I can count. I look forward to making these drives virtually too.

My coworkers don't understand my excitement.

Mengy

Not me, I'll be taking out my first loan tonight and buying my very first truck before I go to bed. My empire won't grow huge by playing it safe!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just drove from SF to San Rafael then down to Santa Cruz.

As someone who grew up in SF and drove all over the place, they really nailed both the feel and the scenery. It's of course not 1:1, but there were several places that were recreated almost exactly.

Driving a rig on the SF hills is just as much of a pain in the ass as I thought it would be. I was waiting at a stop sign on a monster hill and backslid into a guy behind me when I tried to gear up. Very realistic!

Disappointed.

2 Trucks
2 States
Smaller Journeys.

This doesn't represent 'MURICA very well at all. EVERYTHING BIGGER
in texas
. Just how much content is going to be premium DLC?

Mediking

It's actually knocked XCOM 2 off the top spot and I thought for sure that place would be secured for at least the next week or so.

Guys like Videogamedunkey are buying games like these purely for laughs. And XCOM is gonna get a price cut soon enough regardless so most people will wait.

c0Zm1c

Disappointed.

2 Trucks
2 States
Smaller Journeys.

This doesn't represent 'MURICA very well at all. EVERYTHING BIGGER
in texas
. Just how much content is going to be premium DLC?

It's early days yet. Going on ETS2, I expect we'll get new trucks and other additions as free content, a ton of cheaply priced paint jobs, with map extensions being the highest, but fairly priced DLC.

Peru

It's early days yet. Going on ETS2, I expect we'll get new trucks and other additions as free content, a ton of cheaply priced paint jobs, with map extensions being the highest, but fairly priced DLC.

Well another state is added right away for free. Don't know if others are free, though.

A slightly smaller scale makes sense. Think about when you're one day driving cross country. Roads in America are longer and straighter. That's part of what you want out of the atmosphere of the game, but not to the point where you're driving 15 minutes straight line without any change of scenery.

Aye, no doubts, just slightly deflated. I should have read the dev blogs, I guess.

U2NUMB

Aye, no doubts, just slightly deflated. I should have read the dev blogs, I guess.

I mean they are only charging $20 which is 1/3 the cost of full retail game these days. I think combined with a free state and no doubt more free trucks soon It is a totally fair price.

Mengy

Yeah ATS is launching a bit smaller and leaner than ETS2 did, but that's also why the price is reduced. Arizona will be a free state very soon, along with a bunch of free trucks once the licensing goes through (they are mostly modeled and working already). Other states will likely be paid DLC after Arizona, but by the time we've paid as much as ETS2 was at launch we'll have more content than ETS2 did then.

I kind of like the decision to launch earlier and cheaper but without a few of the planned states at launch, it gets us all in the game sooner. Plus the $20 price point is a lot more attractive than ETS2's $40 was at launch. It was a bold choice on SCS's behalf, but I really don't have a problem with how they did it, and I think their reasoning was justified.

Arttemis

Is there a good guide to get a 4 monitors working on these games?

My dad built a computer a couple years ago, bought three 19" monitors, mounted them so that the 3 are angled next to each other (left, center, right) with a fourth monitor directly above them.

I read online that he'll likely need another video card (I've given him my 7870, different manufacturer, but haven't installed it yet), but I'm not entirely sure how I'll need to configure the drivers/settings or which connectors I'm supposed to use - let alone the software settings in-game to make this work.

Maybe so, but me and The American Dream do not go together.
Flower Power Radio FTW though.

If it's anything like ETS2 then the modding community will be producing some amazing things.
Does ATS have the satellite radio that changes radio stations to local channels as you drive your route or is that a mod? I haven't played for a while but people were loving it, i think you could add in your own internet radio channels. Simple things can be awesome at times :)

Makikou

Is there a good guide to get a 4 monitors working on these games?

My dad built a computer a couple years ago, bought three 19" monitors, mounted them so that the 3 are angled next to each other (left, center, right) with a fourth monitor directly above them.

I read online that he'll likely need another video card (I've given him my 7870, different manufacturer, but haven't installed it yet), but I'm not entirely sure how I'll need to configure the drivers/settings or which connectors I'm supposed to use - let alone the software settings in-game to make this work.

I run 3 screens and you have to make some config.ini edits.

Between uset r_segment_buffer_size "128" and uset r_use_depth_bounds "1"

uset r_multimon_exterior_in_aux "0"
uset r_multimon_interior_in_main "1"
uset r_multimon_rotation_aux "0"
uset r_multimon_rotation_right "0"
uset r_multimon_rotation_left "0"
uset r_multimon_rotation_center "0"
uset r_multimon_vert_offset_right "0"
uset r_multimon_vert_offset_left "0"
uset r_multimon_border_fov_right "0"
uset r_multimon_border_fov_left "0"
uset r_multimon_fov_vertical "0"
uset r_multimon_fov_horizontal "70"
uset r_multimon_mode "2"

Dunno about 4 screens and if you have smaller resolution than 5760x1080 then you have to adjust the multimon_fov_horizontal value to fit better.

If it's anything like ETS2 then the modding community will be producing some amazing things.
Does ATS have the satellite radio that changes radio stations to local channels as you drive your route or is that a mod? I haven't played for a while but people were loving it, i think you could add in your own internet radio channels. Simple things can be awesome at times :)

Sounds like a mod for ETS2.

BloodR0se

Wow the Indonesian price is kind of expensive (250k IDR), i thought it would be closer to Scandinavia's price (130k IDR) since ATS is only 1USD higher.

I guess i'll have to wait for sale :(

Yeah I can see where you're coming from there. In America, Britain and Europe this seems like a budget game but in some other regions its essentially AAA price.

Even so though I do like the pricing model they have gone for with this game and it seems a lot more fair to me.

deadfolk

Steam Controller is screwed on this game.

Doing something I've never seen before - when you select 'Configure Controller' in Steam, it just gets stuck on a loading page, and the game goes into an 'updating' <-> 'ready to play' loop. This is before even launching the game.

Very weird indeed.

Stiler

Are the lights in this game trolling me?

Driving out of San Fran and I swear I get to a light and it's green, I start to go through and it goes form green to red in a split second and I'm fined 700 bucks, wtf?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is it legal to turn right on a red? It's legal in CA, and I've seen the AI do it, but Im not going to risk 1k to try it.

They also need a police detector you can buy.

U2NUMB

Is it legal to turn right on a red? It's legal in CA, and I've seen the AI do it, but Im not going to risk 1k to try it.

They also need a police detector you can buy.

Yep if it is legal in the state you can turn right on red. Mentioned on many pre release streams as well for confirmation.

Arttemis

I run 3 screens and you have to make some config.ini edits.

Between uset r_segment_buffer_size "128" and uset r_use_depth_bounds "1"

Dunno about 4 screens and if you have smaller resolution than 5760x1080 then you have to adjust the multimon_fov_horizontal value to fit better.

Sounds like a mod for ETS2.
Thank you, that's a great start!

Internet radio is a feature of both games.

SJRB

Gold Member
Immediately picked it up. Runs just like ETS2, world is more detailed trhough. Skyboxes look really nice.

I like how they made parking a challenging mini-game, very satisfying.

Yep if it is legal in the state you can turn right on red. Mentioned on many pre release streams as well for confirmation.

...wat

How is turning right on red legal? Or safe? I don't get it.

U2NUMB

Immediately picked it up. Runs just like ETS2, world is more detailed trhough. Skyboxes look really nice.

I like how they made parking a challenging mini-game, very satisfying.

...wat

How is turning right on red legal? Or safe? I don't get it.

Been doing it all my life... its all I know here in the midwest. Never had an issue or even a close encounter. When you are turning right.. you only have to worry about cars from one direction... also it just feels so good with the red in your face.

Stiler

Wait, so is it not legal to turn right on red in San Fran? Cause that's where I started and I get fined for going right on red.

NIN90

Yeah ATS is launching a bit smaller and leaner than ETS2 did, but that's also why the price is reduced. Arizona will be a free state very soon, along with a bunch of free trucks once the licensing goes through (they are mostly modeled and working already). Other states will likely be paid DLC after Arizona, but by the time we've paid as much as ETS2 was at launch we'll have more content than ETS2 did then.

I kind of like the decision to launch earlier and cheaper but without a few of the planned states at launch, it gets us all in the game sooner. Plus the $20 price point is a lot more attractive than ETS2's $40 was at launch. It was a bold choice on SCS's behalf, but I really don't have a problem with how they did it, and I think their reasoning was justified.

While I'm sure that the devs are cool guys and managed to prosper a healthy community through ETS2, this sort of sounds like their way to launch an Early Access title without the negative stigma attached to it.

Mengy

Been doing it all my life... its all I know here in the midwest. Never had an issue or even a close encounter. When you are turning right.. you only have to worry about cars from one direction... also it just feels so good with the red in your face.

Yep, pretty much all over the USA you can turn right on red EXCEPT for when there is a sign saying "Do not turn right on red". I don't know if ATS has signs like that in game or not, I'm installing it right now so I'll soon find out!!!

Top Bottom