• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

GeoGonzo

On my first trip, trucking from San Francisco to Sacramento... on the radio "Born to be Wild" is playing. This shit is great.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is Convoy in there or do you have to mod that in?

I regularly listen to a station in ETS2 called Highway 181, it's a country station, and every now and then while I'm driving Convoy comes on the radio. I smile every time it happens!

Watevaman

How are weigh stations and cops implemented in this? Are the weigh stations just "checkpoints" on the road or do you actually have to take an exit, maintain a speed, drive over the scale, etc.? And for cops, can you be pulled over or are they just there as moving speed cameras?

How are weigh stations and cops implemented in this? Are the weigh stations just "checkpoints" on the road or do you actually have to take an exit, maintain a speed, drive over the scale, etc.? And for cops, can you be pulled over or are they just there as moving speed cameras?

From the linked Destructoid review

While driving, it's important to remember the rules of the road. Running a red light will result in a fine (damn red light cameras), as will speeding. While Euro Truck Simulator utilized speed cameras, here in America things work a little differently. Cops are constantly on patrol, and if caught speeding near one, a fine will instantly be deducted. There's no car chase or even getting pulled over, just cop lights and sirens and $1,000 removed from your bank account.

U2NUMB

What is the controller support like?

It is fantastic in ETS2 so I am guessing this will be the same. Pro tip though... even after you set up the dropdown to Keyboard Plus Gamepad you have to then select Gamepad below again instead of wheel otherwise you wont be able to control it at all.

Makikou

There are weight stations on the sides of the road sometimes. The weight station UI shows up when you're near it if you need to go weigh in. You drive to the lane and press Enter to be weighted. Speed limit seems to be 20mph in that zone.

There are stationary speed cameras but I once accidentally sped when there was a cop car behind me and they started their siren & pulled next to me. They let me go when i slowed down to speed limit.

I just made the same drive from San Francisco that I did a few days ago, but with an Xbox One controller plugged into my Mac laptop.

What a time to be alive.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Anyone have a site that lists radio stations that play in the format needed by the in game radio?

Cops are out and about and will ticket you and Weigh Stations flag you up, take their exit, slow down and stop on the scales then continue on when they let you go. I've been watching a youtube channel with an ex-trucker playing ATS and he just got ticketed by cops as he was about to slow down and he's had a few weigh stations to stop at too. A couple of them didn't flag him so you have to pay attention as it's not a guaranteed flag down it seems.

Xenus

So yeah, if the Scale is to be believed, we are quite far away from ETS2-Length Journeys...but at least they'll be more varied?

You haven't driven through the plains states and the midwest have you? Oh look a cornfield, oh look another cornfield, guess what another cornfield, man this is getting old...

Peterbilt's have a much better dash imo, the information is right there. In Kenworths i find myself switching dash pages almost constantly but i dont have to do that with the Peterbilt.
Looking forward to more trucks already, especially these:

Same here. Outside of that, I would also love it if they can convince Freightliner to give them a license. You think I'm going to put my hired plebs into a Kenworth/Peterbilt? No sir! I'm not made of money.

Off-topic: My father, who has been trucking for many, many years, told me Freightliner has upped their game as of late, and is making trucks that are almost better than the PACCAR trucks in some ways.

Beast780

Has anyone had any luck setting up an Xbox One (elite) controller? I did the wizard, and my set up seems messed up. The truck just randomly starts driving forward, the left trigger doesn't do a lot until you click it a bunch of times then it randomly goes into reverse then I can't get it to go into drive. I turn off the controller and the keyboard works perfectly. It's pretty frustrating.

Rflagg

First off I want to state I have no regrets, but with that out of the way damn does it look like a hot mess on my pc so bad in fact I am thinking of moving up my overdue upgrade. I could likely stand it, but 90% of the dials are unreadable, ets 2 looked way better on my outdated pos. :(

DJ_Lae

First off I want to state I have no regrets, but with that out of the way damn does it look like a hot mess on my pc so bad in fact I am thinking of moving up my overdue upgrade. I could likely stand it, but 90% of the dials are unreadable, ets 2 looked way better on my outdated pos. :(

I don't think it's just your PC, there's some weird filtering going on with the dashboard dials - it looks gross on my computer too and the game came defaulted with almost everything on maximum (this is the only screenshot I've taken so far as I liked the typo on Suites.

OEz2lo3.jpg

I don't recall ETS2 having a similar problem.

Pro tip if it works the same way as in ETS2.

Take out as big a loan as you can, buy 2 garages far apart, get AI drivers going too.

Once loan is paid off or mostly paid off, fast travel back and forth between your two garages, which advances time quickly and makes your AI guys complete a bunch of jobs and raise a bunch of money. Instantly rich.

Or don't trivialize the game and just enjoy the road. :p

MouldyK

Man, the Steam Forums have turned to shit for this game.

People saying the game is not finished so should be put in Early Access and the other States Released for Free...even though the Store says:

"Experience legendary American trucks and deliver various cargoes across sunny California and sandy Nevada."

So they are only advertising it as 2 States.

And people telling everyone they getting refunds as people need to know they are getting a refund...

What do others here think so far?

People saying the game is not finished so should be put in Early Access and the other States Released for Free...even though the Store says:

"Experience legendary American trucks and deliver various cargoes across sunny California and sandy Nevada."

And people telling everyone they getting refunds as people need to know they are getting a refund...

I had thought I was following the game pretty well in past years but I only just found out about the 2 states thing a month ago and was pretty bummed. It does seem unrepresentative to call the game American Truck Simulator when it covers so little of America so far. But I'm over it now. I can just understand others who didn't know about it either experiencing the same disappointment.

Makikou

Prime example of people not reading what the developer is offering them, and causing a ruckus because they didnt read because they just "thought" it should be like they imagined.

Beast780

They released the game for $20. There is a lot of content here for $20 plus the promise of free updates as well as paid.

Hip Hop

Downloading at the moment :)

Anybody running triple monitors?

I'm wondering if my GTX 670 could manage,

probably not.

Beast780

Found a fix for your Xbox one controllers. In the input wizard, select the simple automatic option; go to advanced settings; click the acceleration axis and press the right trigger on your controller; set both brake and acceleration from 'inverted' to 'normal'.

Wallach

Does the game have VR support like ETS2 did?

I haven't checked since this came out while I've been real busy today but if it isn't already enabled in the betas tab (or just with the -oculus launch option) they said it would come really shortly after release day, like within a week.

wihio

I put an hour into it so far and haven't had any issues yet. It certainly looks nicer than ETS2, but it isn't really very different at all. I saw some awesome tumbleweeds rolling across a highway, put the pedal to the metal and blasted right through them hoping to see them explode or at least make a sound, but nothing.

I definitely won't be refunding it-- it is more of what I love. I do wish there were some more improvements though. This is like a .5 update rather than a whole version number. I still can't wait to see what the devs can put out and of course what the modding community comes up with!

edit: Definitely gonna try using my Steam Controller. Will report back if I encounter the same issues as mentioned above...

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I used to laugh at Truck Sim in the past.

Now I'm excited to get home and play!
Is there any mods that allow for something along the lines of fuel delivery to gas stations?

You haven't driven through the plains states and the midwest have you? Oh look a cornfield, oh look another cornfield, guess what another cornfield, man this is getting old...

I was thinking of when SCS goes to add the Midwest, they can just put in roads, cities, and fill the rest with farmland. Easy peasy.

I haven't checked since this came out while I've been real busy today but if it isn't already enabled in the betas tab (or just with the -oculus launch option) they said it would come really shortly after release day, like within a week.
Oculus branch is already in the beta list

I used to laugh at Truck Sim in the past.

Now I'm excited to get home and play!
Is there any mods that allow for something along the lines of fuel delivery to gas stations?

I've seen a couple of videos of runs where you take tankers from refineries or depots to petrol stations. I'm not sure if you can only take those jobs exclusively but there's definitely tanker runs in it.

Hip Hop

Found a fix for your Xbox one controllers. In the input wizard, select the simple automatic option; go to advanced settings; click the acceleration axis and press the right trigger on your controller; set both brake and acceleration from 'inverted' to 'normal'.

okay, just did this and it worked!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I've seen a couple of videos of runs where you take tankers from refineries or depots to petrol stations. I'm not sure if you can only take those jobs exclusively but there's definitely tanker runs in it.

Awesome! Good to hear that is already in there.
Are the physics of driving a liquid filled tanker different from the physics from hauling cargo?

Gjerven

So I'm playing with a PS4 controller and this is my button configuration:

eQV3RBS.jpg

I feel that it works great for my use, but I was wondering if anyone has any big differences than this setup? Anyone bother with retarder/air brakes for example?

Ozium

still debating on whether to get this or not.. I liked ETS2 but didn't put too much time into it because I was extremely LTTP, so I kind of want to get this to just start on same page as others but the map size seems really limiting to me.. I know they are adding Arizona some time later, not sure if I should just wait for that or just jump in..

decisions decisions

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

So far I'm fracking loving it.

The map is awesomely detailed and feels so much like the California and Nevada that I've driven through in real life. More importantly the setting suits itself so well to trucking. I mean just look at these long open roads, and this was on my first quick job!

I've driven four jobs so far, my last one took me down the coastal highway into Los Angeles, man it looks like photos I took myself when I've been out there on my Harley:

I picked Fresno as my home city, mainly because it's nice and centered on the map, but also because I love Fresno when I stayed there for a night. Nice town.

Yeah, I've got no complaints so far, except for the same mediocre AA that plagued ETS2 as well. I'm hoping the future move to DX11 fixes that. But I'm more than happy for my $20 and I'll be playing the hell out of this for a long, long time.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
A someone that has been driving trucks on and off for 20yrs from puddle jumpers to 50 tonne semis I am really interested in seeing how one of these truck sims feels like, especially with a decent FF wheel and Track IR.

Stiler

Finally getting some time on the road and enjoying it.

Playing this makes me REALLY wish they had a pseudo online gameplay similar to Dark Souls, where while it's mostly a single-player game it would populate the highways/interstates with other REAL players and have a CB radio type of chat system where you can go to different channels and chit-chat with other people playing the game that are driving in range of where you're driving. That would be a blast and it is the main thing I feel like is a huge missed opportunity for the game.

When I was younger and rode in the truck with my papaw on some trips that is what I remembered most. All the characters you'd get to know going down the highway, their call signs, some tell you their life stories and things. Others that'd help you out if you needed it or warn you about issues up ahead or weigh stations being open or closed, etc.

c0Zm1c

I'm enjoying it.

ETS2 isn't finished either, perhaps that should go into Early Access as well. No.

I like SCS's approach, which is sort of like how companies handle MMO development, in that there's continual improvements being made and extras being added (free as well as paid), and it's not going to be finished until they abandon it. This is a good thing.

Rflagg

I don't think it's just your PC, there's some weird filtering going on with the dashboard dials - it looks gross on my computer too and the game came defaulted with almost everything on maximum (this is the only screenshot I've taken so far as I liked the typo on Suites.

I don't recall ETS2 having a similar problem.

Your screen is heaven compared to mine. I can't even read the digital display about fuel or speed on the dash, also the aliasing in general is like someone tried and failed to upres a ps2 game or something. I honestly think if I played it for long periods of time it would give me a headache. I tried to manually set the graphics to high(er) as low fps doesn't bother me all that much, but it just kept kicking me out of the game. I will try again later to see if it is better, but as I said I have been needing to upgrade for a very long time anyways so not a big deal if I do it earlier then I wanted.

Astra

I'm enjoying it.

ETS2 isn't finished either, perhaps that should go into Early Access as well. No.

I like SCS's approach, which is sort of like how companies handle MMO development, in that there's continual improvements being made and extras being added (free as well as paid), and it's not going to be finished until they abandon it. This is a good thing.

Yup, these games are continuously evolving, and I love it this way. Their support for their games is great, and keeps them feeling fresh for years.

Top Bottom