• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

I average 93 fps with this game on max at 1440p.

Much Optimization
So Optimized
Great Optimization

/s

What are your specs? I look forward to throwing my GTX 970 at it here in a few weeks. I'm just trying to burn through some games in my backlog first.

Jonbo298

The coding for not getting a ticket at a red light is a bit funky right now. What I've noticed that prevents tickets (and I've done this in front of a cop) is to come to a full hard stop. Then proceed to turn. Seems that any motion before turning on red sets off the ticket.

sueil

I make a perfectly legal right hand turn and get dinged 800 dollars do I look like I have that kind of money hookers and weed don't pay for themselves.

Ozium

The coding for not getting a ticket at a red light is a bit funky right now. What I've noticed that prevents tickets (and I've done this in front of a cop) is to come to a full hard stop. Then proceed to turn. Seems that any motion before turning on red sets off the ticket.

the law is that you have to come to a complete stop before you turn on red, not that this is always applied in practice... but as far as the game is concerned it's legit..

Stiler

Is AA working for this game? Cause I am noticing so many jaggies when driving in a city area or such, it's very noticable.

Also the pop in is quite noticable to me in a city area, is there an .ini tweak for view distance or something that affects when objects appear? Cause I have everything in-game cranked to maximum.

rrs

Is AA working for this game? Cause I am noticing so many jaggies when driving in a city area or such, it's very noticable.

It's mxaa only, no new fancy AA filters. There's a setting file you can tweak with, but I think the only thing you can change regarding distance is for the mirrors which will suck up FPS faster than you can say crysis

UberTag

Finally getting some time on the road and enjoying it.

Playing this makes me REALLY wish they had a pseudo online gameplay similar to Dark Souls, where while it's mostly a single-player game it would populate the highways/interstates with other REAL players and have a CB radio type of chat system where you can go to different channels and chit-chat with other people playing the game that are driving in range of where you're driving. That would be a blast and it is the main thing I feel like is a huge missed opportunity for the game.
This seems like their end goal. They just want to build up their community and get assets in place for a much larger map before opening it up as a persistent online trucking MMO.

Aaron D.

I'm loving this game.

The U.S. theme got me hooked. That is what I needed from this series.

I'm loving it as well.

Looks gorgeous and runs great.

Plus there's an 80s Metal station, so I'm set! (Netrock101)

FANTASTIC job, SCS. Thanks for all your hard work!

my opinion on american duck simulator

that dx11 patch can't come any sooner

Your review mentioning varying speed limits and cops is basically how US roads are lol.

IRL, I was driving on my way to the coast on a two lane road, I'm going 70, notice a minivan slowing down and I can pass so I accelerate to 80, pass and get back in my lane, and then bam a highway patrol car coming the other way. Said he clocked me at 83 on a 65 even though I was slowing down. Dumbest ticket I've ever gotten.

Aaron D.

So I'm playing with a PS4 controller and this is my button configuration:

eQV3RBS.jpg

I feel that it works great for my use, but I was wondering if anyone has any big differences than this setup? Anyone bother with retarder/air brakes for example?

Nice setup.

I've been using these button assignments on my 360 pad since ETS2. They're almost identical to yours.

L/R triggers: break/gas
L/R shoulder: shift down/up
L stick L/R: steer
L stick Up/Down: cruise control/start engine
L stick (press): horn
R stick: free look
R stick (press): change camera
D-pad L/R: turn signals
D-Pad down/up: headlights/high beams
A button: accept/enter
B button: cycle GPS views
X button: interior view (center camera)
Y button: light horn
Select: wiper blades
Start: F1: Pause

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It took me damn near 30 minutes to park backwards in the tutorial i am ded

Let me tell you, I am loving these parking challenges. I set the options to difficult parking all time so that it doesn't even prompt me anymore, and woah some of the places they want you to put these loads is head turning. Like this one for example:

That's my truck on the right, and the park spot is on the left there, bracketed by train tracks and fence on one side and gas tanks on the other. I had to back in there, around a corner, with very little leeway on either side. Hah, parking in Euro Truck seems so mundane now!!!!

Oh yeah, I took out a loan and bought my first truck, a bone stock Peterbuilt 579 in bright orange:

Now I need to pay my debts while also upgrading my rig, but at least I ain't driving other peoples trucks no more!

Stiler

Ok finally got to my long first destination and as someone new to this series......how do you finish a job? I unhooked from my trailer at the destination it told me then drove allllllll the way back to where I started thinking that would complete the job but it didn't....

Is there some button or something you're supposed to press when you unload your trailer or do you have to like specifically park a certain way? Cause I noticed another trailer there but there was NO WAY in hell I could back my trailer in beside it because it was literally like a dirt circle roundabout with no room to pull in, then back up and turn around.

Couleurs

I'm looking forward to grabbing this whenever Utah/Colorado are released, since those are my favorite states to drive though. Hopefully it won't be that far away; I know they're working on Arizona right now, so hopefully the plan is to finish all of the southwest before moving on to other areas like the PNW or east coast.

Edit - aww, just saw a post that mentioned the plan is to do NM/TX/OR/WA, so it might be a while :(

wihio

Steam Controller is unusable for me at the moment, and I have found others mentioning the same. The controller cannot be configured (gets stuck on three bars loading screen), and when you try it puts the game in an endless Downloading/Ready to Play updating loop that can only be fixed with a reboot of Steam.

Hope that gets fixed soon!

Nixed

Neo Member
Here's my XB1 controller setup. Trailer toggle could probably be something more useful...

kCButYe.png

This is largely default, for anyone wondering. The two camera mappings are my customization.

Jedi2016

Ok finally got to my long first destination and as someone new to this series......how do you finish a job? I unhooked from my trailer at the destination it told me then drove allllllll the way back to where I started thinking that would complete the job but it didn't....

Is there some button or something you're supposed to press when you unload your trailer or do you have to like specifically park a certain way? Cause I noticed another trailer there but there was NO WAY in hell I could back my trailer in beside it because it was literally like a dirt circle roundabout with no room to pull in, then back up and turn around.
You have to drop it exactly where they tell you, you can't just disconnect and leave it at some random spot. The destination is highlighted on the ground, the white and green glowy thing? That's where you put the trailer. As soon as you disconnect it there, it will automatically end the mission.

statham

are the computer specs higher then euro truck? my 7850 ran that great, just want to make sure I get the same type pf graphics/frames

edit: I probably spent 40+ hours on Euro and enjoyed it alot, then I installed mods to make it easier, big mistake. lost its fun. but its hard going back to premods after you done it. If I buy this, I'm not installing any mods.

I have these assignments for ATS and ETS2 which work great on automatic with a 360/XB1 pad, especially for those who like to check info as they drive:

LT: Brake
RT: Accelerate
LB: Route Advisor Job Info
RB: High beams

Left analog move: Steer
Left analog click: Route Advisor Map (I like to be able to change the zoom level)
Right analog move: Look around
Right analog click: Wiper modes

DPad Up: Light modes
DPad Left/Right: Indicators
DPad Down: Horn (moreso for ETS2MP than ATS)

A: Accept
B: Parking Brake
X: Trailer Detach
Y: Engine Off

Redmoon

So I'm playing with a PS4 controller and this is my button configuration:

eQV3RBS.jpg

I feel that it works great for my use, but I was wondering if anyone has any big differences than this setup? Anyone bother with retarder/air brakes for example?

Are you using any external program with the DS4? I'd love to use L2 for brake and R2 for gas but nativly(with no program help) the game will pick up both as if I'm fully "pressed" on both pedals so I've just been using the Right joystick for gas/braking.

Would be nice if I could free up a Joy to look around.

CaLe

Anyone else gets a HUGE fps drop when using cockpit camera ? (i.e: the default one). I get about 30 FPS difference between that camera and the one from outside the truck (i.e.: camera 2).

I have a GTX 980 TI, 8 GB Ram and an i5 2500k.

It really makes playing inside the cockpit less enjoyable than it could be... I sometimes hit about 30 FPS in cities.

I never once had any trouble parking in Euro Simulator, but I have to take 5 or 10 tries at these before I even get it half way in sloppily. No way I'm not leaving it on hardest parking though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Does this look red to anyone else? I've also noticed this in both TRON movies.

Yeah, it's more red than orange, a fact my girlfriend pointed out to me tonight when I showed her my new bright "orange" truck! I could get it painted again but I like whatever color it turned out to be, heh.

Here I am towing a short Walbert trailer which has red white and blue on it, so yeah my truck is closer to red than orange:

Nixed

Neo Member
Done playing for the evening. I didn't even get around to making some progress toward finishing my XCOM playthrough I need to get done before XCOM 2 at the end of the week, cause of all the liberty and freedom trucking.

My main lessons learned/tips so far:

- Obey the damn speed limit. $1,000 a pop speeding offences aren't fun, and there are nasty speed traps near and in towns.
- The trucks + loads are frickin heavy and turn like cruise ships.
- Slow the hell down on the twisty roads -- like, well below the limit.

They certainly made just about everything more challenging, it feels. Tickets are hella expensive, roads are challenging to maneuver in giant heavy trucks, and then there's the tetris challenge parking. I certainly find it all a bit more engaging, since I'd often zone out a bit in ETS2 because of the ease of most things.

After about 2.5 hours of play time tonight, I probably lost half the money I made to speeding tickets -- and I already flipped my truck once. It seems my reckless Euro road driving doesn't work out so well here in AMERICA. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ElRenoRaven

Anyone else gets a HUGE fps drop when using cockpit camera ? (i.e: the default one). I get about 30 FPS difference between that camera and the one from outside the truck (i.e.: camera 2).

It really makes playing inside the cockpit less enjoyable than it could be... I sometimes hit about 30 FPS in cities.

I'm not and I'm running a GTX 960. I'm playing the game maxed too and getting a great steady framerate.

Hip Hop

Are there any fees to pay if I have a garage that I'm currently not using?

Would like to keep it for now instead of selling it.

Gjerven

Are you using any external program with the DS4? I'd love to use L2 for brake and R2 for gas but nativly(with no program help) the game will pick up both as if I'm fully "pressed" on both pedals so I've just been using the Right joystick for gas/braking.

Would be nice if I could free up a Joy to look around.

I use inputmapper, but I don't think it's necessary. Are R2 and L2 configured under "Controls" or "Keyboard"? Should be configured under "Controls". If you have it congfigured under "Control" you can try changing the mode under the brake / acceleration axle.

I also use xin-driver so that the force feedback translates into rumble. To do this, you have to use inputmapper.

Does anyone have a good G25 set up they use? I just got one from a friend and I'm trying to think of the best possible configuration for the buttons/pad.

terrible

Banned

With a 980 Ti? Oh my. It sounds like I should just stick to Euro since I have the same CPU and a far, far worse GPU. Cockpit view is a necessity for me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

970 here, and I'm getting a smooth 60fps in cockpit mode.

Hip Hop

With a 980 Ti? Oh my. It sounds like I should just stick to Euro since I have the same CPU and a far, far worse GPU. Cockpit view is a necessity for me.

It should run similar to Euro, maybe even a bit better.

I'm getting great performance on a GTX 670/i5 3570k on max settings.

GeoGonzo

Steam Controller is unusable for me at the moment, and I have found others mentioning the same. The controller cannot be configured (gets stuck on three bars loading screen), and when you try it puts the game in an endless Downloading/Ready to Play updating loop that can only be fixed with a reboot of Steam.

Hope that gets fixed soon!
Try leaving the steam beta, that fixed it for me.

Ahh I missed the early game where you have the crappy truck and a single garage and struggling to earn money while visiting places you haven't been yet.

MouldyK

Things I learned last night:

- Speed Limits are no joke! I must have dome like 5 jobs before I had a mission where I was always in profit.

- Truck Parking is also no joke either! Luckily I have it on random and they churn out the easy ones alot.

- TrackIR seems like it would make a good purchase much more in this. With what having to look around more at turnings in Anerica, I get more tempted to get TrackIR all the time.

- Peterbilt is best due to being able to have the Dashboard Screen show you the real speed you are going...rather than relying on Blurry Dials. Even if you do get less Gears.

My aim is to get $120,000 from Quick Jobs from doing missions in California, then get my own Truck and start going on Cross-State Treks (Only been to One City in Nevada which was on the border). That way I get the feeling of travelling the same, mundane routes for other companies before I get to hit the road and explore on my own!

Going by the lack of time I have tonight and Friday night, I'll probably be driving for other people until Sunday at least.

DJ_Lae

I think I've done 10 or 11 deliveries now, leveled up enough to get a sizable enough loan to buy a truck. I notice that due to the scale (?) the trucks eat up fuel a lot quicker than in European Truck Simulator, and my driver needs rest more often as well. Deliveries are also far lower value than they were before, so I get the impression it'll end up being slightly more of a grind.

I also hit a spot where the traffic really mirrored real life. I was waiting behind another car trying to turn left onto a busy road, with cars driving along constantly trying to turn left into our road, but unable to due to the flow of traffic going the other way.

After a couple of minutes I just shoved my way out through the left lane and made everyone stop so I could force myself onto the road. Not proud, as up until that point I was following the rules of the road, but I only have so much patience.

Top Bottom