• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two Results for Q3 FY2016: GTA V ships over 60 million copies

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 3, 2016-- Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTWO) today reported stronger-than-expected financial results for fiscal third quarter 2016, ended December 31, 2015. In addition, the Company increased its financial outlook for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2016, and provided its initial financial outlook for the fiscal fourth quarter 2016, ending March 31, 2016.

GAAP Financial Results

For fiscal third quarter 2016, GAAP net revenue was $414.2 million, as compared to $531.1 million for fiscal third quarter 2015. GAAP net loss was $42.4 million, or $0.51 per diluted share, as compared to net income of $40.1 million, or $0.42 per diluted share, for the year-ago period. GAAP net loss for fiscal third quarter 2016 reflects business reorganization charges of $71.2 million, partially offset by approximately $25 million in tax benefits related to video game development costs.
During fiscal third quarter 2016, the Company’s cash and short-term investments balance increased to $1.215 billion as of December 31, 2015.

Non-GAAP Financial Results

For fiscal third quarter 2016, Non-GAAP net revenue was $486.8 million, as compared to $954.0 million for the year-ago period, which had benefited from the launches of Grand Theft Auto V® for PlayStation®4 and Xbox One, Borderlands®: The Pre-Sequel, and Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth. Non-GAAP net income was $99.7 million, or $0.89 per diluted share, as compared to $211.6 million, or $1.87 per diluted share, for the year-ago period. Non-GAAP net income for fiscal third quarter 2016 reflects approximately $32 million in tax benefits related to video game development costs.
The largest contributors to Non-GAAP net revenue in fiscal third quarter 2016 were Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online, NBA® 2K16, WWE® 2K16, and the Borderlands series. Non-GAAP net revenue from digitally-delivered content was $213.6 million and accounted for 44% of total Non-GAAP net revenue. The largest contributors to Non-GAAP net revenue from digitally-delivered content were the Grand Theft Auto, NBA 2K, WWE 2K, and Sid Meier’s Civilization series. Revenue from recurrent consumer spending (virtual currency, downloadable add-on content and online games) grew 45% year-over-year and accounted for 54% of Non-GAAP net revenue from digitally-delivered content, or 24% of total Non-GAAP net revenue. Catalog sales accounted for $235.3 million of Non-GAAP net revenue led by the Grand Theft Auto and Borderlands series.

Business and Product Highlights

Since October 1, 2015:

Rockstar Games:

• Grand Theft Auto V has now sold-in over 60 million units worldwide across all platforms.
  • Released new free content updates for Grand Theft Auto Online, including:
    • A January 28, 2016 update featuring the new ‘Drop Zone’ Adversary Mode, two new high-end vehicles and additional improvements to Grand Theft Auto Online.
    • Festive Surprise 2015, featuring holiday-themed attire, Christmas trees, snowball fights, and new holiday-themed adversary modes;
    • Executives and Other Criminals, which offers players the chance to run their own criminal organizations and face off against rival operations across Freemode. The update also includes new customizable real estate, super yachts, armored vehicles, weapons and much more;
    • Lowriders, which adds new and upgraded vehicles including specific lowrider customization options such as hydraulics, new Adversary Modes, new Lowrider-themed Contact Missions, an array of new clothing, tattoo and accessory options, as well as upgrades to both Freemode and the Rockstar Editor’s Director Mode; and
    • Halloween Surprise, featuring a new Halloween-themed adversary mode plus special vehicles, masks and more.
  • Released Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories for select iOS devices. Originally designed with mobile gameplay in mind, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories returns with significant enhancements for iOS and also will be coming soon to Android.
2K:

• Entered into a new multi-year partnership agreement with WWE granting 2K the exclusive worldwide rights to develop and publish WWE video game properties across all major platforms and distribution channels.
  • Launched WWE 2K16 on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3. Developed collaboratively by Yukes and Visual Concepts, the title received significantly improved review scores and has generated growth in sales versus last-year’s release. WWE 2K16 is being supported with downloadable add-on content, including a Season Pass.
  • Released Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth™ – Rising Tide for PC. Developed by Firaxis Games, Rising Tide is a massive expansion pack for the 2014 turn-based strategy title, Civilization: Beyond Earth.
  • Released The Borderlands Triple Pack for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, which includes Borderlands, Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, plus all of the games’ previously-released downloadable add-on content.
  • Released Evolve Ultimate Edition for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, which includes the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo and Gamescom “Game of Show” award-winning title along with its Monster Expansion Pack, Hunting Season 1 and Hunting Season 2 downloadable add-on content packs.
  • Expanded the Company’s online offerings in Asia with the commercial launch in Korea of Civilization Online, a free-to-play, massively multiplayer online game developed in partnership with renowned South Korean studio XLGAMES. 2K also plans to bring Civilization Online to Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and China through publishing partnerships with Game First and Qihoo 360.
  • Expanded the Company’s offerings for tablets and smartphones with the releases of NBA 2K16, My NBA 2K16 and NHL SuperCard for tablets and smartphones.
  • Announced that Battleborn™, which is currently in development for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC by the creators of Borderlands at Gearbox Software, is planned for release on May 3, 2016.
  • Announced that XCOM® 2, which is the sequel to the Game of the Year award-winning strategy title XCOM: Enemy Unknown and is currently in development at Firaxis Games, is planned for release on February 5, 2016 for PC. XCOM 2 has received outstanding early review scores, with Game Informer Magazine, GameSpot and IGN each scoring the title in the 9-out-of-10 range. According to IGN, “XCOM 2 is an amazing game,” while Game Informer Magazine called it “one of the deepest and most rewarding strategy games on the market.”
  • Announced that Mafia® III, the next installment in 2K’s successful organized crime series, is currently in development for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC at Hangar 13, 2K’s new development studio. Mafia III is planned for release during calendar 2016 (fiscal year 2017).

Source: http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2135391

Webcast at 04.30PM EST: http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/oogbodrz/lan/en

Jarrod38

My same exact reaction on Twitter.. Except I said "Hot Damn"

And this is without any story DLC, wondering if we'll ever see it or they will focus efforts exclusively on GTA Online.

Would be great to see SP DLC but R* makes a killing off those Shark Cards so that is where the focus is at.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
How does Take Two continue to lose money...

Props to GTAV as usual though. Still crazy how well it continues to sell.

iNvid02

where is that thread about people saying GTA was past its prime lol, insane

there is no way they can leave the table without sp dlc

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Must be some amount double dip users on console, PC.

I'm one of them, loving it all over again on PS4.

Josh5890

I wonder what the split is for GTA V between this gen and last gen? I'd imagine it has to be a good majority for last gen still.

jjonez18

Funny thing is that GTA, at least on current gen consoles, is still selling for >39.99$ new. 2 years and 60m copies later.

Venom Fox

Banned
"offset by approximately $25 million in tax benefits related to video game development costs."

Isn't this the new British law that gives text breaks to games either developed in the UK or has a setting based in the UK.

GTA 6 or another IP from R* North is well into development then!

pager99

Probably R&D and development costs for new projects, like a new GTA or SP DLC. And they probably pay a shit ton on royalties and licensing. Still though, they could/should be in the green.
Do you think they'd be making a new gta now or even new red Dead?

I wonder what the split is for GTA V between this gen and last gen? I'd imagine it has to be a good majority for last gen still.

No breakdown reported that I can tell, but I'm listening to the earnings call so will follow-up if I hear anything.

My 2 cents: Because of the much larger install base, I'd assume it leans toward last gen. But then again, since holiday season saw players upgrading to current gen, it may have narrowed the gap.

Turkoop

Banned
Yup, GTAV is for me the greatest videogame of all time.
Hope Take Two gonna announce a title very soon, ther're too quiet in the last months

MauroNL

Do you think they'd be making a new gta now or even new red Dead?
I'm hoping the latter, but they're probably doing both. I expect Red Dead next year and maybe a new Max Payne in 2018 but new GTA would be years away. I know nothing though, thats just my two cents.

I'm sure they're working on the next Red Dead & GTA

Since it's been two years since GTAV, I think RDR2 is definitely in progress.

Unless it's actually Bully 2! :)

It will probably be early stages for next GTA, but I'd bet they have settled on a location and general setting and are working on fleshing it out..

SpecX

Congrats, just wish they would spend some of that revenue and started working on releasing some single player DLC :(

Rockstar, if you release single player DLC for GTA V, you will push millions more copies. "Game of the decade" bundle and it'll push even more.

Mr Swine

Banned
Incredible numbers! I do wonder if they are even making a GTA VI or will just make a stand alone GTA Online game instead. I do hope they release a handheld version of GTA V in the future, wonder how much that would sell

Son Of D

I wonder what the breakdown is between all platforms for GTA5. Would be interesting to see if PS3/360 or PS4/XB1 make up most of the sales.

Foffy

Banned
Incredible numbers! I do wonder if they are even making a GTA VI or will just make a stand alone GTA Online game instead. I do hope they release a handheld version of GTA V in the future, wonder how much that would sell

It would probably be on phones, and I'm sure that's not what you meant by "handheld."

Ultimadrago

I love Rockstar and I'm very glad they made great success out of GTAV...

Now give me that single-player DLC, you monsters!

-Horizon-

I need to get in on this gta5 one day. I was gonna get it last year but I chose witcher 3 instead hehe. I'll try to get gta5 this year hopefully.

Top Bottom