• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Asura's Wrath - Japan's God of War x Gurren Lagann

Vard

One of the most underrated games of last gen, for sure. I loved the sense of scale and the QTE sequences were actually really fun.

SephLuis

I really wished they released a version with all the DLC or had the true endng at launch without being DLC. This game was other victim by Capcom stupid DLC decisions at the time.

Great game and I hope Capcom hasn't forgotten about it.

As much as I love the bombast and cinemtaic craziness that CC2 are fantastic at it's tough to revisit because god damn are the on rails shooting bits tedious.
Which is to say I actually tried returning to the party last week myself but that opening segment did it no favours.

Still its finale (DLC finale that is) has like the best QTE usage ever, which may sound like damning with faint praise but it's just really cool.
Asura himself is great for an angry rage machine, I hope if Capcom ever get around to another fighting game with their characters they'll put him in.

Sometimes I wonder how this game would be with truly competent combat gameplay behind it but oh well.

suikodan

Loved this game.
Bought it for 10$ "just because" and had a blast with it.

The best thing about this game is one sound effect that sounds like a bridge that's collapsing... It was hilarious EACH time we heard this.

It was a surprise for me (and my friend that I played the game with).

theRizzle

I have basically zero interest or attachment to anime (I saw Akira in like 1994 when I was 10 and that's it) and I loved this game. I guess that probably has to do with me enjoying the David Cage/Telltale style of game where you are basically getting an interactive story. I agree that the "gameplay" parts of this game are by far the worst part of it, and they probably could have been done away with altogether.

I just loved how bombastic the whole thing was. I probably had a huge grin on my face the entire time I was playing, because it just kept getting more and more insane. I thought they did a lot of unique things with the QTEs (insofar as you can with button prompts appearing on screen anyway) that kept it interesting.

Was this the game where some of the DLCs were motion comics with the "Character Action" type of fighting mixed in? I didn't really love those.

Masterpiece of a game. I was amazed when I started playing with Yasha the first time. Man that was awesome. And the DLC delivered all types of ways. Either an HD remake or, preferably, a sequel is all I ask from Capcom nowadays.

It was the Dragon Ball Z game I never got. Goodness the hype is just so infectious. Even my non anime friends were all into this.

Geeky

Amazing game. I wished Capcom gave it another chance this generation.

In terms of narrative, there really isn't anywhere to go, is there?

Maybe they could remaster it and release it episodically since the game is already structured like that. Maybe it could work if each episode was like $3 or something and release at 4 episodes at a time or the like.

One thing not mentioned is the absolutely amazing way it dealt with Buddhist imagery and ideas. They really went above and beyond with the visual design to make this game stand out.

Also, the (true) final boss is probably one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. I wasn't even mad when I was done with the DLC ending, because it felt incredible.

Bebpo

Banned
Hey guys! Question! Playing this on PSNow, is the ending/dlc included in the game? Or is it sol for us? Anyone know?

I think you're SoL, but at least you can watch the DLC episodes on youtube. The main game still has a solid conclusion. But yeah the stuff in the ending DLC chapters is pretty essential.

This game and Nier were two PS3 gems that I almost missed because of shitty reviews, and I ended up loving both.

Both have really cool soundtracks as well:
Wind Fang

Yeah, Wind Fang and the main theme are some of my favorite tracks. Really like the vocal end song too.

One thing not mentioned is the absolutely amazing way it dealt with Buddhist imagery and ideas. They really went above and beyond with the visual design to make this game stand out.

Also, the (true) final boss is probably one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. I wasn't even mad when I was done with the DLC ending, because it felt incredible.

Yeah, I was linked this Buddhist Guide in a different thread: http://art-eater.com/2012/01/a-buddhists-guide-to-asuras-wrath/
It's great, though it only covered before the game's release, so there's so much more that could be written about,

Meffer

Honestly if this game was sold episodically, I think this game would've been received better. It's more or less an high quality anime with some light gameplay.

Meffer

As much as I love the bombast and cinemtaic craziness that CC2 are fantastic at it's tough to revisit because god damn are the on rails shooting bits tedious.
Which is to say I actually tried returning to the party last week myself but that opening segment did it no favours.

Still its finale (DLC finale that is) has like the best QTE usage ever, which may sound like damning with faint praise but it's just really cool.
Asura himself is great for an angry rage machine, I hope if Capcom ever get around to another fighting game with their characters they'll put him in.

Sometimes I wonder how this game would be with truly competent combat gameplay behind it but oh well.

Give it to Platinum and let Capcom publish it. That's actually very ironic having said that.

Honestly if this game was sold episodically, I think this game would've been received better. It's more or less an high quality anime with some light gameplay.

While I agree that it might have done better if sold episodically, some chapters were pretty light on content.

Seriously though, I would buy it again in a heartbeat on PC or the current gen twins if they received a performance boost. One of my favorite games from last generation.

Meffer

While I agree that it might have done better if sold episodically, some chapters were pretty light on content.

Seriously though, I would buy it again in a heartbeat on PC or the current gen twins if they received a performance boost. One of my favorite games from last generation.

That's why I said it's an anime with gameplay, not the other way around. It has same amount of chapters as episodes for a season.

Top Bottom