• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 and 3DS ports: missed opportunities

Not to mention that Mario 64 DS has a way to compensate for the lack of true analog by making the character movement tied to an "orbit" (say you're facing forward and press right, Mario will turn while moving forward until he's moving to the right), so you can't do things that require precision like turning around in place while on a small platform (at least as far as I know, there might be a trick to it).

Banned
Would have been nice to get Paper Mario 64 on there. The first real paper Mario on the 3DS. Or the thousand year door.

PantsuJo

For the hell of it, I'd love to have seen International Superstar Soccer 64 on the 3DS. I loved that game so much.
Oh, ISS 64 :) A beautiful arcade, fast and funny, glad to see some love for old Konami soccer games.

On 3DS would have been a day-one game, imo.
Broken dreams.

F-Zero X was a huge missed opportunity imo. The original looks really rough and would have benefitted from the bump in hardware. Same goes for Sin & Punishment although that one holds up a lil better thanks to the artstyle.

And while the game certainly doesn't need it, it would have been cool to have the original Paper Mario in the Sticker Star engine. Something like this:

large.jpg

Yeah, the original Paper Mario is something I wish had gotten updated, even if it was on the 3DS (even though I don't prefer playing games on a handheld). I still have not played the original Paper Mario because it just visually looks rough compared to what I'm used to from the series. First one I played was TTYD, and that still looks great.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'd rather they save their best game they ever made for a HD console remake. It doesn't deserve another half assed handheld thing.

Was gonna say this. If they have to rerelease SM64 one day, i'd rather see it as a glorious remake done with home console technology. Not some "shitty" looking port on 3DS.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The only missed opportunity in that regard imo is not having made a new Zelda in the Zelda OoT engine. I don't want any more ports and remakes than we have today. In fact I would prefer if there were fewer.

TreIII

Before Konami went to hell in a handbasket, the things I wanted most were ports of their and Hudson's 64 titles.

Bomberman 64/Hero/64-2, Mystical Ninja 64 and Goemon's Great Adventure. Maybe even CV64: LoD.

But then they went and cancelled the one Bomberman 3DS game Hudson had in the works, and my hopes were forever dashed of expecting anything good from Konami for the last few years.

JSevere

Super Mario 64 3D and F-Zero X 3D. Prayed for these back in the day.

On a slightly-related note, I'm still disappointed Nintendo never did 3D Classics for some of their more famous games. Super Mario Bros. 3D, Link to the Past 3D, Super Metroid 3D, etc., would have all been great. That ship has probably sailed though.

ChaosXVI

I'm honestly surprised that they never did end up porting either F-Zero X to 3DS or GX to Wii U. I suppose they could still do it, but either would go a long way in terms of pleasing fans and (unless they tried to add online) probably wouldn't be a very expensive project, especially X to 3DS.

I mean, I get that F-Zero is the most dormant of Nintendo's "realistic chance of revival" franchises, but a remaster couldn't hurt.

impact

Banned
Was gonna say this. If they have to rerelease SM64 one day, i'd rather see it as a glorious remake done with home console technology. Not some "shitty" looking port on 3DS.

Imagining a SM64 remake on the 3D World/Todd engine in 1080p with AA.... oh lawd

At least, I'm really hoping the NX can do that engine in 1080p with some AA.

Or, you know, Mario 64 (DS) with actual analog controls

Wasn't going to happen since the DS version was recent gen-wise.

I'm generally pretty happy with the ports / remakes on 3DS (Xenoblade, the Dragon Quests, Zelda). Not sure why you're singling out N64 since there's barely anything worthwhile that does not have a superior version on the gamecube. Why have Paper Mario 3D when you can have TTYD 3D? Or F-Zero X 3D instead of F-Zero GX 3D?

Astral Dog

Yoshi's Story. There were rumours of a GBA version in the works back in the day, but nothing ever came of them.
...yeah, not very good examples on this topic at all. Mario 64 was already released on DS and its a bit outdated, FZero as a series needs a new game (and develope it seems) Yoshis Story was not good at all...

3DS recieved its fair share of remasters.

UGH I KNOOOOOW!!! X(

Bomberman 64 3D (by ND Cube)
Donkey Kong 64 3D (by Rare or if unable, Camelot, or even Playtonic)
Super Mario 64 3D (by EAD, based on the DS remake's content)
Hey You Pikachu 3D (by Ambrella, get them off the fucking Rumble games!)
Pokemon Snap 3D (by HAL)
Banjo Kazooie and Tooie (by Rare or Playtonic)
Diddy Kong Racing 3D (by Rare or Playtonic, make it more faithful to the original, voices and all)
Conker's Bad Fur Day 3D (by Rare, Playtonic, or Gory Detail if they can handle it)

Nintendo's far too obsessed with Zelda remakes and remasters and NOTHING else gets that treatment. :(

Edit: YES Rocket: Robot on Wheels also (by Sanzaru)

The real SNES version of Yoshi's Island.

Donkey Kong '94 in Super Gameboy mode.

Full-resolution music resampling in all GBA VC games.

stuminus3

I'm sure a ton of N64 games the source code is looooong gone for... The exceptions seem to be ones by EAD, the other first, second, and third party titles are probably all lost to history and/or in a completely unrecoverably state.
Where are you getting this from?

Is started playing Sin and Punishment recently on the Wii U and damn did the controls not age well. The 3DS touch screen would have been a much better control scheme for that game.

Gotta agree with this one. The original Sin and Punishment was designed with the N64 controller way too much in mind. A 3DS remaster would really benefit it. The only problem is that it's a bit short and I can't imagine it as a retail title by today's standards.

I have to be the other side to this.

After how amazing a control scheme Wiimote + Nunchuk was for S&P2 is doing anything else for the 1st just wouldn't cut it.

You could make it work and do so well on 3DS but S&P1 deserves a bit more than that I feel.

On the same token, I bought a converter that let you use an N64 controller on Wii just for S&P1 because the Classic Controller or the GC controller don't quite translate to what you need to play the game with efficiency.

Only other N64 game that I know could use some love is Mischief Makers. More Marina is better for everybody! SHAKE SHAKE!

Shin-chan

The most disappointing thing about the 3DS is no SNES titles. I'd love to play Earthbound, Metroid, Mario, Yoshis Island, Zelda etc on there instead of blown up and gross on my Wii U ... but Nintendo cant be arsed.

b3b0p

Pilot Wings 64

Wave Race

Blast Corp

Pokémon Snap

Shadows of the Empire

Yes, I liked the game. Yes, I played it again recently and yes I still love the crap out of it. Wonky controls and gameplay and all

Honorable:

Blitz
Bomberman
One of the good Wrestling Games (I remember them actually being fun)... speaking of...

I know there was no N64 version, but WHERE THE FUCK IS FIRE PRO WRESTLING? Someone, step up and make this happen!

I'm surprised there's a lot of love for Pokemon Snap. It was a rather barebones game and taking photos was pretty boring. I'd much rather go play a main series game where I'd catch them all.

...yeah, not very good examples on this topic at all. Mario 64 was already released on DS and its a bit outdated, FZero as a series needs a new game (and develope it seems) Yoshis Story was not good at all...

3DS recieved its fair share of remasters.
You're severely mistaken. Yoshi's Story is awesome.

I don't really see what huge benefit Mario 64 would get from having HD graphics unless they revamp the entire levels.

At that point I'd just want a new Mario 64-style game with all new levels and castle hub.

I'd be perfectly happy with the graphics bumped up to Mario 3D Land quality with the added 3D effect (which I think looks great, especially in 3D platformers). Plus I tend to enjoy ports of older games on handhelds instead of consoles for some reason (like all the SNES to GBA ports).

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't really see what huge benefit Mario 64 would get from having HD graphics unless they revamp the entire levels.

At that point I'd just want a new Mario 64-style game with all new levels and castle hub.

I'd be perfectly happy with the graphics bumped up to Mario 3D Land quality with the added 3D effect (which I think looks great, especially in 3D platformers). Plus I tend to enjoy ports of older games on handhelds instead of consoles for some reason (like all the SNES to GBA ports).

I would absolutely love a "Super Mario 64 2" that looked and played identically to Super Mario 64. One of those "Oh this game was finished 20 years ago and we just found it in a cupboard." sort of titles.

Malyse

Fuck that. Gimme more Wii to 3DS ports. Last Story? Pandora's Tower? Fire Emblem Radient Duology? Fragile Dreams? Crystal Bearers?
Earth Seeker, Captain Rainbow and Zangeki no Reginleiv finally localized?

What reason do we have to believe an F-Zero game would sell today?

It depends entirely on what they would do with it. It probably wouldn't rate a full HD remake on the Wii U with super fantastic graphics, but a smaller budgeted release directly to the eShop or even just an updated port of X on the 3DS would probably get Nintendo some money.

Snowboard Kids with online vs. and the with the psx version improvements. I've bought 10 copies.

yes

i'm still mad about ds :(

I would absolutely love a "Super Mario 64 2" that looked and played identically to Super Mario 64. One of those "Oh this game was finished 20 years ago and we just found it in a cupboard." sort of titles.

Haha, that would be awesome. A throwback kinda like how Mega Man 9 was.

bman94

I'm surprised there's a lot of love for Pokemon Snap. It was a rather barebones game and taking photos was pretty boring. I'd much rather go play a main series game where I'd catch them all.

Nostalgia. I'd rather a brand new one using the Wii U's gamepad similar to the minecart levels in Toad Treasure Tracker. I feel like that would be a quick and easy game that The Pokemon Company could shit out this year for the Wii U.

Top Bottom