• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjin M

rC698H4h.png

Welcome to the twentieth NeoGAF thread for GIANT BOMB. Due to an error in thread creation, all GOTY talk for 2016 was accidently banned from this thread. Therefore, we are jumping ahead and discussing the game of the year for 2017. Get your sharp bats and long knives out because 2017 is sure to be a bloody year for Game of the Year talk.

Real talk: Giant Bomb's casual coverage and strong personalities makes it the video game website to end all video game websites. It's like a really good TV show you can just fall into, and then go back to get all the weird inside jokes.

2016 is the start of a new era for Giant Bomb, what I call the CBSi First Floor era (still workshopping this). The Giant Bomb Prime crew have been setting up a new studio and podcast room while settling into a new cubicle farm. Video content may be a little slower from the Prime team, but Giant Bomb East has been taking up the slack. With new shows like Kerbal: Project B.E.A.S.T and the introduction of guest columnists, Giant Bomb is primed to explode in the new year.

So sit back, relax, and argue about anime, wrestling, fast food, soliciting amiibo, Periscope t-shirt sales, proper YouTube etiquette, and occasionally video games on the Giant Bomb Official Thread on NeoGAF.

EMCEE'S RULES FOR BEING GOOD STEWARDS OF THE GIANT BOMB COMMUNITY THREAD:
  • Don't be a jerk - We may not all share the same opinion, but that does not give anyone the right to be hostile to fellow GBGafers, the Bomb Crew, or their guests.
  • Talk about Giant Bomb - Although off topic talk is as natural to the Bomb Crew as breathing, this thread is not a chat room. We are afforded some latitude because so many topics can be considered relevant to Giant Bomb. It is a privilege that we must not abuse.

ABOUT A BOMB:
  • Giant Bomb Homepage - If somehow you found this thread before you found Giant Bomb, you really should go here instead. Otherwise none of this will make a lick of sense.
  • Live Show Page - The official page for all live content, chat, polls, and the amazing hype meter
  • Managed Livestream Page - If you missed the show live, here's the link to watch the latest livestream before the archive goes up on the site
  • Premium Membership - Become a Premium member today!

GIANT BOMB PRIME:

Jeff Gerstmann

rBDammg.png

Jeff's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: Titanfall 2: Titan Faller

You can find Jeff on NeoGAF, Twitter, Tumblr, Mixlr, and YouTube.

Brad Shoemaker

Vet0U32.png

Brad's Most Likely Game of the Year 2017: Mass Effect Andromeda

You can find Brad on NeoGAF, Twitter, and Tumblr.

Dan Ryckert

mMWdw3p.png

Dan's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: Super Mario NX

You can find Dan on NeoGAF, Twitter, Tumblr, and YouTube.

Drew Scanlon

v9LrJVZ.png

Drew's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: Star Citizen

You can find Drew on Twitter and Tumblr.

Jason Oestreicher

9IjjCTH.png

Jason's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: Toukiden 2

You can find Jason on Twitter.

GIANT BOMB EAST:

Vinny Caravella

0c569C0.png

Vinny's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: Persona 5
gotcha

You can find Vinny on NeoGAF, Twitter, and Tumblr.

Alex Navarro

5kUn16t.png

Alex's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: South Park: The Fractured But Whole

You can find Alex on Twitter.

Austin Walker

shOGYdd.png

Austin's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: BattleTech

You can find Austin on NeoGAF, Twitter, and Tumblr.

RECURRING GUESTS FROM THE CBSi FAMILY:

Matthew Rorie

u3RJKE6.png

Rorie's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: Rorie won't finish any games in 2017.

You can find Rorie on Twitter and Tumblr.

Danny O'Dwyer

3q8lOgJ.png

Danny's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: Some driving game, I don't know.

You can find Danny on Twitter, Tumblr, and YouTube.

Mary Kish

JccY9QO.png

Mary's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: Mary is a woman, therefore an impenetrable mystery to me.

You can find Mary on Twitter and YouTube.

Jeff Bakalar

bTUcopZ.png

Jeff's Most Likely Game Of The Year 2017: Yeah, this joke is getting old now. Sorry.

You can find Jeff on Twitter.

HERE'S WHAT'S BLOWING UP RIGHT NOW:

Free Video Series:
  • Quick Look - The guys jump into a new release and give it a whirl for about 40 minutes or so. Unedited, no bullshit - your Giant Bomb meat 'n' potatoes.
  • Unfinished - Basically Quick Looks of unreleased games. It can be games in Early Access, or other forms of pre-release builds of games.
  • Ranking of Fighters - Jeff and Jason play different fighting games and rank them in a VERY SCIENTIFIC WAY. Right now Samurai Shodown 2 is the best fighting game of all time. This show is part of the rotating schedule of live shows every Wednesday.
  • The Old Games Show - Jeff, Brad and other staff members play old games and talk about them. This show is part of the rotating schedule of live shows every Wednesday.
  • Encyclopedia Bombastica - Quick Looks for older games, basically. Generally comes with more of an "in the know" feel.
  • Giant Bomb Mailbag - The crew opens mailbags from the community. Don't just send them your trash, put some effort into it!
  • Choose Our Own Adventure - The GBEast team opens up their livestream to a popular vote. If the game is good enough, maybe it will graduate to a GBE Playdate and the premium paywall.
  • Kerbal: Project B.E.A.S.T - Vinny is going to land a Kerbal on the mun, even if that Kerbal has to climb a tower of corpses to do so.
  • Best of Giant Bomb - TurboMan/xpantherx brings his fantastic "Best Of" Giant Bomb videos to the site that inspires them.
  • Game Tapes - The GB Prime team watch old footage and comment over it. Sort of like E3, but all historical like.
  • Game Tapes Raw - A massive archival project to save old video game press footage in high quality format.

Premium Video Series:
  • Unprofessional Friday - Premium member exclusive show. Just 2 hours of whatever nonsense the crew feel like showing off. Giant Bomb at its most chaotic.
  • Demo Derby - Dan, Drew and Jeff look at old Demo Discs across multiple platforms in this feature. Some times we get to see demos of good old classic games and other times we get to see demos of the worst games ever made.
  • Metal Gear Scanlon - Drew is on a mission to play through all numbered MGS games as he has never played them before. Local MGS nut Dan Ryckert tries to help/troll Drew throughout the playthrough.
  • VinnyVania - Vinny is playing through every console 2D Castlevania game, and maybe some more?
  • Breaking Brad - Brad plays particularly difficult games and challenges in games. Will he conquer it, or will it break him?
  • GBE Playdate - Vinny, Alex and Austin play 2-ish hours of a game, either as a one-off thing or as a series for one particular game.
  • Mario Party Party - The Gang play 50 fucking turns of every single numbered Mario Party game. NOBODY WINS.
  • Jar Time - Jeff answers questions from the community into a microphone.
  • Unplugged - The gang plays various DnD games, and Avalon.

Free Podcasts:
  • The Giant Bombcast - Up every Tuesday, with an accompanying thread popping up here on GAF near enough on the dot.
  • The Giant Beastcast - Giant Bomb's second flagship podcast, with Vinny, Alex and Austin as regulars and JEFF SPEKTAKULAR in the rotating fourth chair. Like with the Bombcast, every episode gets its own thread here on GAF.
  • Giant Bomb Presents - Previously Interview Dumptruck. It's the podcast feed where they can post whatever doesn't fit in the other podcasts. It's probably still gonna be mainly the GB crew interviewing a wide range of people from the industry and gaming community, and posting the mostly raw audio straight to the site.
  • Giant Bomb Gaming Minute - One minute news, reviews, and commentary produced for radio, Jeff puts these on the site in podcast format because why not?
  • Alt+F1 - Previously a premium podcast but now free, Drew and Danny discuss Formula 1 and a lot of random shit.

Premium Podcasts:
  • Danswers - Danny & Dan with a wide array of guests discuss and danswer the listeners' personal questions.
  • The Powerbombcast - Alex, Jeff, Dan, Giancarlo Varanini and guests discuss the latest happenings in the world of professional wrestling.
  • Also available are ad-free versions of The Giant Bombcast and The Giant Beastcast for subscribers only.

On Hiatus:
  • Us vs. Them - GBWest takes on GBEast in this feature where a team from the east coast play against a team from the west coast in competitive multiplayer games. This show is part of the rotating schedule of live shows every Wednesday.

EXPLOSIVELY USEFUL INFO:

Officially Unofficial Websites:
  • QLCrew: Giant Bomb Video Playlist - The best way to search for GB videos, with lots of options
  • Myggen's Premium Content List - Myggen's frequently updated list of (some of) the best premium content to watch or listen to
  • The Giant Bomb Unarchived Youtube channel - If any content involving Giant Bomb members or "friends of the site" isn't archived on the site, you'll find it here - big thanks to fellow GAF members alr1ght and Zaph for keeping this channel updated!
  • TurboMan/xpantherx's Best of Giant Bomb YouTube playlist - fantastic "Best Of" Giant Bomb videos, now an official feature on the site. This link will remain until all archives have been uploaded to Giant Bomb.
  • The Year Collection - A site with 4+ hours of highlights of every year of The Giant Bombcast, going back to 2008
  • GB-GAF Synchtube Channel - This is simply a chatroom where people can cue up YouTube clips (including live content, which I can imagine could become pretty handy in the future) that play in sync with everybody else. I'll try to plug it whenever there's a live YouTube stream going on, but for now I'm loading it up with old GB clips. Established by Piston Hyundai
  • Anjin M's Endurance Runs and other full playthroughs List - My occasionally updated list of (some of) the games the Giant Bomb has played from start to finish

Giant Bomb Prime's Mailing Address:
  • Giant Bomb
    CBS Interactive
    235 2nd Street, 1st Floor
    San Francisco, CA 94105
    United States

Giant Bomb East's Mailing Address:
  • Giant Bomb
    CBS Interactive
    28 East 28th St, 10th Floor
    New York, NY 10016
    United States

Thread Title History:
  • 2/5/2016 - current - Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Most Likely Titles for Thread 21:
  • Giant Bomb #21 | Skate 4 Will Bring My Father Back
  • Giant Bomb #21 | You fucking beat 'em, Gerstmann

Official GB GAF Game Communities:
  • Steam: PM TheMrPliskin for Steam Group Info
  • PSN: GAF GB PSN Community: search for AnjinM

SPECIAL THANKS

To everyone who posted an official thread from which this one is blatantly stolen:
  • BUNTING1243
  • Myggen
  • Jimmyfenix
  • SteveWinwood
  • Patryn
  • Hot Coldman
  • randomlyrossy

Also, thanks to Lava from the Giant Bomb forums for the banner logo.

2510992-9941977187-c8BiE.gif
Gone, but never forgotten.

fancymofoyvyvx.gif

Anjin M

Myggen

A list of (some of) the Premium content worth watching/listening to:

- A lot of the UPF episodes, e.g. the Second Life episode, the PS4 Playroom episode, the Dream Gear episode, the Lego Island episode, the Halcyon episode, the one with the whole crew back in SF, the Paul Ryckert episode, the episode where Brad and Vinny become robots

- Every Random PC Game feature (1-10 on that list are all the available videos)

- Mario Party Party - 50 turns of sadness, Mario Party Party 2, Mario Party Party 3: The Saddening/Nobody Wins, Mario Party Party 4: The Saddening 2 (Part 1, Part 2), Mario Party Party 5 LIVE

- On The Green With Sim Golf, Members Only SNES Party, The Olympic Games Olympiad

- The Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls series, the Load Our Last Souls series, the Metal Gear Scanlon series (season 1, season 2, season 3, season 4, season 5)

- Backflips n' Bioforge

- GBEast plays through Contradiction: Spot the Liar!, GBEast plays through Until Dawn

- VinnyVania (Castlevania, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood)

- Vinny plays Bot Company, goes insane, Vinny plays Velvet Sundown

- Drew is a North Korean spy, Iceland: The Cutting Room Floor

- All the Premium Flight Club videos, like Digital Combat Simulator: P-51D Mustang Beta

- The best TNTs: Fortune Street, Dead Island, Gears of War 3, Cards Against Humanity etc.

- The Running of the Lanterns, and various Breaking Brads like Doom II Ultra Violence, Volgarr the Viking etc.

- The Load Our Last Save features. Freedom Fighters is a great place to start.

- Demo Derby (15 videos so far)

- Game Tapes (1 video so far)

- Giant Bomb Unplugged: Pathfinder, Giant Bomb Unplugged: Avalon, Giant Bomb Unplugged: Dungeons & Dragons

- Podcasts: Bomb After Reading: Sphere, A Very Ryckert Holiday: Conversations With Dan & Paul, The Powerbombcast episode 14 (but really, every Powerbombcast is worth listening to), Danswers 07: Return of the Gerstdann (every Danswers is worth listening to, especially the ones with guests)

JonCha

Granted I'm much busier now but the only GB content I'm really watching now is K.E.R.B.A.L. along with catching up on the Life is Strange playthrough.

Perhaps my tastes in games are changing - along with Life is Strange the only GB West video content I've watched in a while is the second King's Quest episode - or I'm just enjoying Beast's content more. I'm guessing for me the Best of Giant Bomb videos are going to be the main way I consume the funniest bits of all of the site.

Jintor

I SHALL USE THIS FIRST PAGE PLATFORM TO SAY:

Go listen to Austin Walker's tabletop RPG podcast: FRIENDS AT THE TABLE. It's amazing.

For a taste: hit play on this episode until the music/prologue ends. Music was created by one of the players.

http://friendsatthetable.net/e/counterweight-13-draft/

I honestly think Vinny and co would really enjoy a game of dungeon world

He was so happy in that pathfinder game when he got to climb a tree and drop a statue's arm on a dude. Man, imagine the shit he could get up to in dungeon world

He was so happy in that pathfinder game when he got to climb a tree and drop a statue's arm on a dude. Man, imagine the shit he could get up to in dungeon world

Oh man. Hadn't considered this, but I love the sound of it. Maybe a Beastcast holiday edition or something.

Tubobutts

I still want Vinny to be a Rogue Trader. It would be beautiful.

Megasoum

Banned
So I was thinking about the Witness this morning and remembered the time Patrick and Ryan went to Blow's house like 6 years ago to play an early prototype.

Where did they talk about it afterward? Whas it just on the regular Bombcast or was it a special thing?

tchocky

So I was thinking about the Witness this morning and remembered the time Patrick and Ryan went to Blow's house like 6 years ago to play an early prototype.

Where did they talk about it afterward? Whas it just on the regular Bombcast or was it a special thing?

Pretty sure it was a regular bombcast.

repeater

So what I gathered from the last pages of the previous thread is that apparently Jeff is getting married at the Super Bowl, and the XCOM2 Quick Look will be streamed live from the reception??

tchocky

pretty low post account overall. the lack of content really hurt.

Since each thread has around the same amount of posts doesn't the low post count of the top users just mean that either more people posted in the thread or the mid to lower users posted more.

kAmui-

The best possible title!

It's this bombcast.

You can use this website to sort of filter bombcasts http://madreisz.com/gb-navigator/. It's not perfect as it only searches the podcast descriptions but tags are a new thing so what else can you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom