• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Reckless Onion
(02-06-2016, 12:46 PM)
Listen to this dev here at 14m11s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0uf...tu.be&t=14m11s

He says you can disable certain aspects of the lightning to improve framerate.

This would make the game have more responsive controls, something i really hated about the beta was the input lag it had so i hope it's what it is i think it is :)

I wish more devs would have options like this in their console version.
Ludger Kresnik
(02-06-2016, 12:50 PM)
A step closer to really replicating that authentic low-end PC experience.
Collingwood
(02-06-2016, 12:51 PM)
Nice option for people who care more about framerate over Ps and effects.
MayMay
That's pretty cool, I guess. Lots of ppl keep requesting options like that for consoles.
Caayn
Consoles are becoming more PC like everyday.
Hasney
(02-06-2016, 12:52 PM)
Oh hello. I'm all for that, still rocking a 720p so hopefully the resolution makes a difference.
spyshagg
Should not be allowed to breed
(02-06-2016, 12:52 PM)
finally

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986408
Maintenance
(02-06-2016, 12:53 PM)
I wish Diablo 3 UE had the Low FX option that PCs have, would be a much better experience.
Reckless Onion
(02-06-2016, 12:54 PM)
I hope it means it can run at around 60.. but probably more realistically it will be uncapped at 45ish.

But if you look at how infamous controls with uncapped framerate also around 45 i wouldn't mind it at all, that game controls amazingly well and responsive
BigTnaples
Banned
(02-06-2016, 12:55 PM)
Yeah this was covered in the beta thread and the snowdrop thread. However it is probably thread worthy.

Hoping it is a GI on, lower Framerate, GI off, higher Framerate.

I guess we will know soon enough.
IvanJ
(02-06-2016, 12:56 PM)
It's good to have that option.
I won't use it, though. I prefer the game to look better, I don't really care about the fps, wouldn't even know how to measure it.
jesu
(02-06-2016, 12:56 PM)
I'll be leaving everything switched on even the chromatic abhoration
Reckless Onion
(02-06-2016, 12:58 PM)

Originally Posted by IvanJ

It's good to have that option.
I won't use it, though. I prefer the game to look better, I don't really care about the fps, wouldn't even know how to measure it.

You would feel it on the sticks, and if you get used to it you wouldn't want to go back
yatesl
(02-06-2016, 12:59 PM)
Exclusive screenshot of low graphics mode

Originally Posted by Kenzodielocke

What if you unlock the frame rate and play it on a g-sync monitor ?

On console? Nothing.
Kenzodielocke
(02-06-2016, 12:59 PM)
DOT DASH DOT
(02-06-2016, 01:00 PM)
Yeah the input lag was terrible on the console versions, PC version was a much nicer experience......in 4K.....oh my
TehGoomba
(02-06-2016, 01:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Maintenance

I wish Diablo 3 UE had the Low FX option that PCs have, would be a much better experience.

UE on consoles is 60fps though?
Hasney
(02-06-2016, 01:03 PM)

Originally Posted by TehGoomba

It can be. Totally dependent on the developer.

EDIT: ignore me, read it as Unreal Engine and not Ultimate Evil haha
entremet

Originally Posted by Caayn

Consoles are becoming more PC like everyday.

This type of stuff is helping move to PC gaming since I get guaranteed legacy support. better graphics, and multiple control options.
texore

Originally Posted by Hasney

It can be. Totally dependent on the developer.

I don't think they are referring to Unreal Engine.
Edit: oh you got it ;)
Caayn
(02-06-2016, 01:05 PM)

Consoles don't support G-sync, it's locked to Nvidia cards. Freesync would maybe(not sure) be possible but the OS needs to support it.

Originally Posted by entremet

This type of stuff is helping move to PC gaming since I get guaranteed legacy support. better graphics, and multiple control options.

Jup, this gen I spent more time on PC then the others gen before it.
Last edited by Caayn; 02-06-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Maintenance
(02-06-2016, 01:07 PM)

Not on high level Torments and GRifts, too many effects causing the framerate to tank.
metareferential
(02-06-2016, 01:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Caayn

Consoles don't support G-sync, it's locked to Nvidia cards (as usual with Nvidia tech >.>). Freesync would maybe(not sure) be possible but the OS needs to support it.
Jup, this gen I spent more time on PC then the others gen before it.

You'd still get awful stuttering.

G-sync/Freesync only works when the GPU can control the monitor's refresh rate.

Consoles have no such capability, even if you pair them up with a g-sync module or a freesync monitor.
BigTnaples
Banned
(02-06-2016, 01:09 PM)

Originally Posted by DOT DASH DOT

Yeah the input lag was terrible on the console versions, PC version was a much nicer experience......in 4K.....oh my

Eh wasn't that bad. Spent a bunch of time with both the PC and PS4 versions. Wasn't a detriment to the gameplay going back and forth IMO.

Now going back and forth between my XBO TRR and the PC version, that is night and day.
Helznicht
(02-06-2016, 01:14 PM)

On XboxOne, with my demon hunter and my daughters witch doctor coop, on anything T1 or greater, it often struggles to hold 30. Way to much stuff going on to even think about locking in 60.
Tratorn
(02-06-2016, 01:17 PM)
I don't like that at all, because that's destroying the advantages of consoles, especially in competitive games. If more games have these options, they are really not better than PCs that have similiar hardware.
The good thing about consoles is, that 99% of the people in a game have the same environment (excluding fighting games where fightsticks vs controller isn't really fair). If some gamers play with eye candy and the others disable some options for a better framerate, the latter group of course has an advantage.
And optimization is key for consoles to get the most out of the slower hardware compared to PCs. If all console games would have more options to disable, many devs probably wouldn't fully optimize anymore, at least not as much as now. They would just think, that the people would disable some options, if they don't like the framerate. And the others, who don't want to "downgrade" anything, can play with their 25 FPS.
GrantDaNasty
(02-06-2016, 01:17 PM)
Reminds me of Bioshock Infinite (on PS3 at least, dunno if 360 version supported this), where you could turn off v-sync for a much smoother image, in exchange for possible tears (and tears....cuz......cause Elizabeth....)
metareferential
(02-06-2016, 01:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Tratorn

the others, who don't want to "downgrade" anything, can play with their 25 FPS.

Which is what normally happens anyway.

"console optimization" isn't synonimous with "rock-solid, judder-free, tear-free, triple-buffered and responsive 30fps/60fps".

It's just "everyone runs at the same speed". Which more often than not means unstable 30fps.

I welcome the opportunity of disabling eye-candy for more responsive gameplay.

It's a way to educate players.
GavinGT
Banned
(02-06-2016, 01:23 PM)
You can disable the lightning? What about the thunder?
On Demand
(02-06-2016, 01:38 PM)

As a game developer do you guys ever get restricted based on consoles as far as what you can do, just cause it's like we know we can do this on PC but we have to make a game for consoles too?

_______

It is definitely a benefactor in it but one good thing about The Division is we always considered the PC as a separate platform. I've worked on projects before where PC versions are ports from a console, so there are limitations over, but we've always been in the mind that we'll have a dedicated PC build so it hasn't really held it back too much.

We do have to kind of keep it check with the consoles, to kind of being fair just to push it so far away from them.

What the fuck is this? And people wonder why there's arguments of parity all the time.
Marvel
could never
(02-06-2016, 01:46 PM)
Great to have the option, but I won't be turning shit off.

Like my games looking as best they can.
texhnolyze
(02-06-2016, 01:46 PM)
Why are people expecting 60fps?
I'm afraid that the game will be demanding in certain parts of the game and people have to turn down the lighting to get a stable 30fps. That's a more reasonable possibility for me.
pizzacat
(02-06-2016, 01:50 PM)
Like unless they say it runs at 60 without those things I'll turn it off, not trying to run at like sub 45 looking ugly for no reason lol
Get_craycray
(02-06-2016, 01:51 PM)
The dev said "improve" not "higher", there's a difference. So I think it's just going to run better in every areas of the game (like a real locked 30fps).

Fake Edit: That's basically what texhnolyze said just above.
Maxey
(02-06-2016, 01:55 PM)
Who wants to bet Ubisoft only allowed this because of the AC: Unity shitstorm?

Either way, it's nice to have the option. Quite a few times in console games I just wish I could disable certain effects for a more stable framerate.
spannicus
(02-06-2016, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by On Demand

What the fuck is this? And people wonder why there's arguments of parity all the time.

I thought about that comment too haha, might have had the 2014 graphics if not for them pesky consoles!
The Omega Man
(02-06-2016, 02:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Tratorn

I don't like that at all, because that's destroying the advantages of consoles, especially in competitive games. If more games have these options, they are really not better than PCs that have similiar hardware.
The good thing about consoles is, that 99% of the people in a game have the same environment (excluding fighting games where fightsticks vs controller isn't really fair). If some gamers play with eye candy and the others disable some options for a better framerate, the latter group of course has an advantage.
And optimization is key for consoles to get the most out of the slower hardware compared to PCs. If all console games would have more options to disable, many devs probably wouldn't fully optimize anymore, at least not as much as now. They would just think, that the people would disable some options, if they don't like the framerate. And the others, who don't want to "downgrade" anything, can play with their 25 FPS.

Good, console gamers are about to understand that when it comes to games gameplay is king and better than having some God rays on the corner of the screen that you won't even be aware of in the heat of the moment.
BigTnaples
Banned
(02-06-2016, 02:04 PM)

Originally Posted by The Omega Man

Good, console gamers are about to understand that when it comes to games gameplay is king and better than having some God rays on the corner of the screen that you won't even be aware of in the heat of the moment.

Nah. I'll take my god rays.
The Omega Man
(02-06-2016, 02:07 PM)

Originally Posted by BigTnaples

Nah. I'll take my god rays.

Good, it's a good thing is optional, you can bask in the glory of those God rays on the corner of a window while waiting to respawn everytime you get owned by someone who chose better gameplay and more responsive controls instead.
Z3M0G
(02-06-2016, 02:10 PM)
Oh come on... its not going to make so much of a difference that it will help someone outplay someone else. We are not talking 60fps vs 24fps here...
xRaizen
(02-06-2016, 02:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Z3M0G

Oh come on... its not going to make so much of a difference that it will help someone outplay someone else. We are not talking 60fps vs 24fps here...

More responsive controls won't help that person outplay the one who does't have the more responsive controls?
Asmodai48
(02-06-2016, 02:13 PM)
In before complaining about options
Twinsanity
(02-06-2016, 02:16 PM)
Not a complaint, but I honestly couldnt care less. If I wanted to fiddle with settings I would play on PC, but I don't.
Chris Metal
(02-06-2016, 02:16 PM)

Originally Posted by On Demand

You know... to avoid all the debates and stuff.
iluvgames
Banned
(02-06-2016, 02:17 PM)

Originally Posted by yatesl

Exclusive screenshot of low graphics mode

On console? Nothing.

is that syphon(sp) filter ?

that was awesome
cyen
(02-06-2016, 02:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Ludger Kresnik

A step closer to really replicating that authentic low-end PC experience.

First post always nails it.
On Demand
(02-06-2016, 02:21 PM)

Originally Posted by spannicus

I thought about that comment too haha, might have had the 2014 graphics if not for them pesky consoles!

What's the point having a dedicated PC build if you're just going to limit it because of consoles to be "fair".

I don't even have a gaming PC, and shit like this is why I see no point in building one.
BigTnaples
Banned
(02-06-2016, 02:22 PM)

Originally Posted by xRaizen

More responsive controls won't help that person outplay the one who does't have the more responsive controls?

I'm not playing in the MLG. That couple milisecond difference is only going to decide the outcome a handful of times. I am playing for fun, won't be that big of a deal.

Also, it is an RPG, not a twich shooter. If I was playing quake or tribes... maybe.

The Division or Fallout or something of that nature? Nah.
IndoAssassin
(02-06-2016, 02:32 PM)

Originally Posted by spyshagg

finally

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986408

Congratulations spyshagg, you've ruined my brain.
cackhyena
(02-06-2016, 02:34 PM)

Originally Posted by BigTnaples

I'm not playing in the MLG. That couple milisecond difference is only going to decide the outcome a handful of times. I am playing for fun, won't be that big of a deal.

Also, it is an RPG, not a twich shooter. If I was playing quake or tribes... maybe.

The Division or Fallout or something of that nature? Nah.

But The Division and Fallout 4 can be looked at as a hybrid. It's real time shooting, so it pays to have it as snappy as possible.