• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was there backlash for DmC Dante? He was just as good.

Warxard

Banned
I remember a lot of people complaining about how bad two was after two. Not so much about how 3 Dante looked. Gameplay of 3 was just too on point to care much about his look anyway. Something that I'm sure would have been the same about new Dante if the gameplay was actually good.

Browsed a bunch of forums back in the day and people swore up and down DMC3 was gonna be a bomb after 2

sublimit

Banned
Terrible first post.

Original Dante talked and acted cool in a natural way. DmC Dante was an annoying jerk that tried too hard to look and act cool but failed miserably due to Ninja Theory's poor definition of "cool". His face also made him look like a douche.

KarmaCow

Just so we can all remember, this was the reveal trailer for DmC. (can't find a better quality vid)

And this was the reboot Dante.

bBQvLAV.jpg

Weiss

Banned
Because he's a character built as superior to a character a lot of people already liked, and in a game that is mechanically poorer than its predecessors.

Fuck You-gate probably didn't help either.

He was a punk ass bitch who was designed as he was because the creators was targeting the frat boy demographic and they thought this Dante was edgy and realistic.

Actually, given the style of the game and the leaked internal presentation, this is obviously not true. They were definitely appealing more to an... alternative group of people.

I mean look at art-style, look at the music (Combichrist + Noisia), come on.

That's not really edgy... that's just a super cheesy emotional moment. Also, that's from the first game. Dante is absolutely nothing like that in the later games (3 and 4).

Warxard

Banned
Terrible first post.

Original Dante talked and acted cool in a natural way. DmC Dante was an annoying jerk that tried too hard to look and act cool but failed miserably due to Ninja Theory's poor definition of "cool". His face also made him look like a douche.

"In a natural way"

Yeah spinning on stripper poles, playing the guitar and surfing on rockets. totally natural

Nigga was the Tommy Bahama of action games

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I personally thought that having a Jester, a huge centipede like creature, and numerous boss encounters was on a higher scale. DmC is fun to play through, but he's still a punk. Vergil was well established in DMC3. He comes off as being a bit more hardcore. In DmC he's just big brother in a way. It sorta pulls at character building instead of having this giant castle or demon world.

I'd still prefer if Platinum took the helm. I just want to see the series go back to its Japanese roots.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
First impressions are a huge thing with gamers. If they don't like what they see right off the bat, that image will stick with them no matter HOW many changes a dev makes. In this case, this was the first impression:

These images were ingrained in the minds of many throughout the three years of dev time.

Not to mention, many gamers straight up hate change or what they perceive to be big changes, even when those changes are positive and could influence design decisions in the future. I myself fall victim to this mentality occasionally.

He was a punk ass bitch who was designed as he was because the creators was targeting the frat boy demographic and they thought this Dante was edgy and realistic.

No. Just no.
No one designed him thinking he was "realistic". What part of him is exactly realistic. He was an over the top character in a over the top game.

Weiss

Banned
That isn't edgy.

Well, kinda. Dante in DMC1 was set up as a more traditionally cool and badass character, albeit still with some element of whimsy and fun.

It's just that Capcom has the worst writers ever, so after ruining everything in DMC2 they decided to just roll with things and turn Dante into a cartoon character in 3 and 4, and more's the better.

New Dante is so much better it's not even funny.

As a long time fan of the series, I don't know if I could buy Devil May Cry 5. Give me DmC 2.

Armigr

He's just really boring and one-note. OG Dante isn't particularly rounded either but at least he's a bit more goofy and cheesy. New Dante is just...lame. Definitely not a strong enough character to carry a game.

Like yeah, his character develops throughout the game but it's pretty weak character development because the writing is mediocre. He just goes from edgy lame to fully lame. Just a drab slab of a character.

Delsin was better than Cole too.

This I can agree with, though.

Zomba13

He's hot af and much more interesting. The original Dante is dated and just another generic pissed off anime dude.

What? Original Dante is about having a good time kicking demon ass and joking around. He does a guitar solo when he gets one of the weapons in 3 and does an elaborate poem/salsa dance thing with a weapon in 4.

It's DmC dante that is generic pissed off dude. He not only looks like a generic guy but he lacks all of the charisma and fun of old Dante and replaces it with angst against the system and fuck the police attitude.

The only redeeming thing is he does get a kinda nice brotherly relationship with Vergil in that sibling rivalry kind of way which isn't as well explored in 3 as they are against each other from the start.

Mizerman

I never liked DmC Dante's design. It never really stood out to me. Nor his actual character in the reboot.

Then again, I never liked any of Ninja Theory's offerings in the past. So it's whatever.

MUnited83

For you.
Uncle Dante is still the best. Just the right ammount of cheesiness/campness and awesomeness, while the new one seems like a try hard edgelord.

The fact that he looked like a crackhead in the initial reveal also certainly didn't help people's perceptions.

Korigama

Because people hate change.
Such a disingenuous first post. People hate BAD change, and that was what Donte represented. But, considering the fact that he literally isn't Dante, and DmC has nothing to do with the original series, and is part of a reboot that's more or less abandoned at this point, it also no longer matters.

Because he's a character built as superior to a character a lot of people already liked, and in a game that is mechanically poorer than its predecessors.

That is a good point for the dislike in the change in design/overall theme of the game.

Especially If we are looking at it completely separate from the gameplay difference between the old games and new one, but again, people don't like to focus on that as much as "he looked different/didn't have white hair so nerds didn't like him now".

Squishy3

I personally thought that having a Jester, a huge centipede like creature, and numerous boss encounters was on a higher scale. DmC is fun to play through, but he's still a punk. Vergil was well established in DMC3. He comes off as being a bit more hardcore. In DmC he's just big brother in a way. It sorta pulls at character building instead of having this giant castle or demon world.

I'd still prefer if Platinum took the helm. I just want to see the series go back to its Japanese roots.
Not to mention the final boss fight the game had been building up to is a stationary giant building man.

Then you get another boss after that with no buildup whatsoever. Also no need for Platinum to take the helm when the team responsible for the most ridiculous combo system in a DMC game is still at Capcom. Let Platinum make their own stuff, Itsuno and Neo_G are still at Capcom and Itsuno's already working on a new project.

It was just a bad design and character. He looked like his mom just dropped him off at the mall so he could go hang out with his friends in front of a Spencer's, and he wasn't so much of a cocky badass as he was a smarmy tool. He's annoying.

Not to mention he's attached to the second worst game in the series.

Murrah

Banned
I don't really care about the design that much, but his actual character was pretty awful. Not to say that original Dante is a great character either, but it's at least self aware and super goofy and over the top. Besides the opening cutscene with the pizza covering his dick or whatever, I don't remember thinking any cutscene or dialogue seemed like it was self aware enough to realize how stupid it was, and I just played through Definitive Edition two weeks ago. It especially became apparent in that "Fuck you!" scene that the game's writing wasn't anywhere near as clever as it thought it was. It was all pretty much the embodiment of tryhard edgy.

That being said I really don't care either way because the game was incredibly fun, and it's a damn shame a sequel apparently isn't happening, goofy teenage angst be damned.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The DE version with Turbo and Hardcore mode is legitimately a great game despite me not liking the platforming, almost all the bosses, or level design sometimes.
On the other hand I really thought the original version wasn't enjoyable since it felt slow compared to recent entries in the mains series and has some questionable enemy design choices (colored enemies) and mechanics altered for the worst. (Devil Trigger lifting the enemies off the ground as well as making you super powered.)

I think the biggest improvements in the DE is the reworked enemies and moves to make it feel more rewarding for someone wanting to go beyond the surface of the combat which made the encounter to encounter game play a blast, but the bad boss design except for the final one still brings it down a bit. DE is a A+ action game and I'd give the original version a B- despite me not liking it.

Hopeford

I liked old Dante because he was campy as all hell. He was ridiculously over the top and that was hilarious for me. I wasn't a huge fan of DmC because it didn't feel as campy to me. Honestly what sold me on DMC were the super cheesy over the top cutscenes and DmC just lacks that, so I enjoy it way less. I'm just rather fond of the times Dante randomly started speaking like a Shakespearean actor while doing some very dumb shit and when he had a guitar solo after a boss fight.

It's that type of silly dumb shit that I miss more than any gameplay changes really. I liked DmCs silly intro with Dante getting dressed in slow motion but the rest of the game just didn't keep that tone with it so I didn't like that version of Dante as much.

Zomba13

I'll admit edgy isn't the right word, but it's in the same realm. It's like Shadow the Hedgehog levels of angst.

It's not angst or edge. It's melodramatic if anything. It's over the top trying to get you to feel for Dante because look how sad he is, look how he was supposed to be the one to redeem her, wah wah wah feel bad for him because he loved her even though they only really just met but she looked like his mom so it's sad.

Like, it's terrible and bad but loops around into being the kind of thing you can enjoy because it's "so bad it's good", like it's bad but you can laugh at it. But it's not edgy or angsty. What is edgy and angsty is writing "fuck you" on a guest list before hitting the bouncer with it.

Because people hate change.

So why did they change old Dante from a brooding anime trope to the dorky pizza loving smartass he is now? Keep in mind that he had an equal amount of DMC games playing both roles.

Say want you want about NT Dante but old Dante wasn't all that great as a character either. So many better character action protags exist.

antitrop

Because if there wasn't backlash, he would have looked like fucking this:

2HiopRx.jpg

The final design of DmC Dante was much improved. The backlash was worth it.

Something people fail to see for some reason in this series is that Dante is pretty much a completely different character in every single game.

In DMC1 he is a wisecracker but his mission is one of revenge and hes more driven by that than having fun and shit.

DMC2 Dante is a silent stoic who only speaks when necessary. This Dante acts like he has many many years of experience under his belt and prefers to just focus on the mission.

DMC3 Dante is an inexperienced shit talker who loves to just have fun and show off. He doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself and having fun. He refers to the blood feud he and his brother have as a party.

DMC4 Dante is the most like another Dante in the series, DMC3 Dante, but his personality differs in a few key areas. He still is a shit talker and loves to have fun, but now he cares for others and their well being. He is so powerful now that he is supremely confident in himself. Despite this overwhelming power, he doesn't let it change him and he prefers to act like your goofy uncle than a grim warrior.

DmC Dante starts out kind of like a more realistic DMC3 Dante, though much more vulgar and such. He matures at the end, same with DMC3 Dante, but like most people say, first impressions are very important.

Seventy70

It's not angst or edge. It's melodramatic if anything. It's over the top trying to get you to feel for Dante because look how sad he is, look how he was supposed to be the one to redeem her, wah wah wah feel bad for him because he loved her even though they only really just met but she looked like his mom so it's sad.

Like, it's terrible and bad but loops around into being the kind of thing you can enjoy because it's "so bad it's good", like it's bad but you can laugh at it. But it's not edgy or angsty. What is edgy and angsty is writing "fuck you" on a guest list before hitting the bouncer with it.

That's not even angsty... I don't think you know the definitions of the words you are using.
Jesus, ok. You got my point.

Korigama

So why did they change old Dante from a brooding anime trope to the dorky pizza loving smartass he is now? Keep in mind that he had a equal amount of DMC games playing both roles.

Say want you want about NT Dante but old Dante wasn't all that great as a character either. So many better character action protags exist.
Such as?

That's not really edgy... that's just a super cheesy emotional moment. Also, that's from the first game. Dante is absolutely nothing like that in the later games (3 and 4).

Just like how reboot Dante is only the way people describe in the first part of the game and completely ignoring his character development, it works both ways. Dante at the end of dmc is nothing like how he is by the beginning of the game.

Delsin was better than Cole too.

Both were fine. I wouldn't have liked it if they just changed Cole into Delsin, and he was Cole now instead of a new character though.
The same way I didn't like it when they tried to make Cole look completely different in the second game already.

Top Bottom