• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch |OT| With Me

justjim89

My objectives don't seem to be updating. It just always says 'Answer Radio Call' whenever the prompt appears. Not a big deal, just can be confusing when you don't immediately know what you're supposed to be doing. Like when you have to
finish boarding up the window.

thatJohann

Just finished it. Wonderful experience. Loved every second and I wasn't bothered at all with the technical issues. So don't miss out waiting for a patch, jump in now. You won't regret it

Dipper145

Game only showing mouse and keyboard prompts even though I'm playing with a controller. Frustrating trying to guess all the buttons when it asks me to do things.

The game was OK I guess.

The story itself wasn't that compelling and it just felt like labour more than anything. There were moments where I was interested in Delilah but for the most part I just wanted her to shutup.

Sweet graphics tho

nOoblet16

Game only showing mouse and keyboard prompts even though I'm playing with a controller. Frustrating trying to guess all the buttons when it asks me to do things.

You have to go to Settings > Control options and then select "controller" there for the game to show you controller prompt. It's stupid because the game auto detects and activated whatever control system you are using on the fly but it won't change the prompts unless you manually do so.

honestly guys as someone who just beat it on PS4, unless you're REALLY bothered by framerate issues, even if minor, it shouldn't bother you. Yes they are here and yes they're fairly common, but it never bothered me to the point I had to stop the game because whatever. The gameplay is simplistic enough and most of the game you'll be running from point A to point B, it isn't a game that requires steady framerate.

so if you've been dying to play it, just do it. It only crashed once for me and it's nothing a reload thanks to autosave didn't fix.

fishbang

I liked this so much more than I thought I would. For me, and the time I spent (I'm an explorer and a tourist, so more time than most), it was damn near perfect.

Damn I went into this game blind and that intro took me kiiiiinda by surprise.

They hid the intro, i'm pretty sure. I saw one place where they mentioned "He's going to the watch tower for the first time; this happens after some earlier things" but I had no idea what that really meant. I think everyone was pretty surprised.

leng jai

Anyone else finding the traversal in this game annoying? I've gotten stuck on so many rocks it's not funny. There's so many fallen trees and other trivial obstacles that you have to walk around even though you should be able to step over them easily. The fact that there's no jump button makes things even worse.

Just finished the game. It was pretty alright, the strongest things for me were learning more about Fire-watching and the how do's, the characters and the atmosphere. I wish it was a longer game to be honest because the characters were fun to be around with. The game starts stronger than it ended but I gotta give credit that it ended
very much grounded in reality when the mind keeps thinking it'll be something over the top with all the build up.

Overall, it's good. I'm glad we're in a place that games like this can exist.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Okay, finished it. I can say with confidence that it is definitely a video game.

Didn't see any puffins or inflatable horses, but enjoyed the sweet wizard placement.

Good game! Maybe even game gold!

I still dislike answer timers though. To me, they feel like checkpoint timers in racing games -- sort of just there to annoy me. So fuck that shit. Otherwise, I was really well-entertained.

The girlfriend not so much, she said the ending is a letdown of sorts. I don't feel that way though.

Lemonheap

Banned
rLlKfyr.jpg

great game guys, got stuck on the landscape a million times over :p

Finished it yesterday, and while I can see why the ending would be a letdown to some, I enjoyed it from start to end, and was very happy to have gone in almost entirely blind.

I particular enjoyed the running interactions between Delilah and Hank, so much so that I wish there had been a few more days to flesh it out before things started to really happen with the plot. I also really enjoyed the hiking aspect of the game; playing with the gamey options turned off was fantastic, and really helped bring the forest to life (even if there was way too little visible wild-life, to my taste), along with the excellent soundtrack.

I'll probably revisit it again at some point, before not too long, so that I can follow the plot with the advantage of foreknowlege, and also make sure to visit all the supply boxes, which I am not sure that I ever did, due to feeling glued to the plot-line.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
http://i.imgur.com/rLlKfyr.jpg

great fuckin' game guys

Congrats, you're looking through the inside of a mesh. Since when doesn't this happen in every video game out there? You've traversed the game in a way that the developer didn't expect and are seeing something you're not supposed to see. Holy shit you guys assemble the army

What are they supposed to do, disable backface culling? Model every mesh completely without optimizing for realistic viewport locations?

Like, is that a deduction on the graphics metric for the overall score? Are we writing game mags from the 90s now?

I mean, go ahead and criticize games on that level, but I personally just can't take you seriously there. This is a normal thing that you encounter in 3D games on a regular basis.

Lemonheap

Banned
Congrats, you're looking through the inside of a mesh. Since when doesn't this happen in every video game out there? You've traversed the game in a way that the developer didn't expect and are seeing something you're not supposed to see. Holy shit you guys assemble the army

What are they supposed to do, disable backface culling? Model every mesh completely without optimizing for realistic viewport locations?

Like, is that a deduction on the graphics metric for the overall score? Are we writing game mags from the 90s now?

I mean, go ahead and criticize games on that level, but I personally just can't take you seriously there. This is a normal thing that you encounter in 3D games on a regular basis.

Half of the game map looks like that. At least try to hide it.

Anyone else finding the traversal in this game annoying? I've gotten stuck on so many rocks it's not funny. There's so many fallen trees and other trivial obstacles that you have to walk around even though you should be able to step over them easily. The fact that there's no jump button makes things even worse.

Yeah, feel it wasn't worth it. Oh yay, go all the way north of the map and see everything you already saw, again. How fun.

dock

Started playing this last night, and I really enjoyed my time with it.
A friend advised me to turn off the location pointer, which I did before starting. I'm surprised that I'm not getting lost, but instead using the map and compass properly.

People weren't kidding when they said that PS4 performance is pretty spotty. It's playable, but it feels like a cross-gen game on the underpowered hardware. Maybe PC lead is the cause for this? Jumping between this and Gravity Rush PS4 doesn't help, but it's the worst performing PS4 game I've played.

I'm often caught out by the answer times. I wish there was some indicator when they appear other than the very subtle timer.

Lemonheap

Banned
Are you maybe running out of bounds a lot? The game map I've traversed didn't have open meshes everywhere.

I was running out of bounds since I started playing it. The game doesn't tell you where to go, so I happened to hug the walls all the time. Could be bad luck, but I saw stuff like that since level one, but it got more and more apparent as the game went on especially at the last part because it was a bit harder to get around overall.

Started playing this last night, and I really enjoyed my time with it.

People weren't kidding when they said that PS4 performance is pretty spotty. It's playable, but it feels like a cross-gen game on the underpowered hardware. I expect doing dual PS4/PC with PC as the lead is the cause for this.Jumping between this and Gravity Rush PS4 doesn't help.

Lagged a bunch on my high end PC, disappointingly.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I was running out of bounds since I started playing it. The game doesn't tell you where to go, so I happened to hug the walls all the time. Could be bad luck, but I saw stuff like that since level one, but it got more and more apparent as the game went on especially at the last part because it was a bit harder to get around overall.

Ah okay. So maybe the way absolute bounds are built isn't really made for hugging the walls. That's unfortunate.

Green Yoshi

People weren't kidding when they said that PS4 performance is pretty spotty. It's playable, but it feels like a cross-gen game on the underpowered hardware. Maybe PC lead is the cause for this?

My friend played it on a Macbook Pro, so it can't be that demanding on PC.

Did they even answer about the bad performances and the possibility of a patch that will fix it ? Do they even care since there is good press and people talking about the game ?

"We're currently talking with both Sony and Unity (the creators of the engine the game is built in) to continue to optimise performance of the game on console," Campo Santo's Sean Vanaman explained in a Reddit thread on the issue. "Unfortunately, it's a process that requires all three parties to be involved unlike a typical bug that we can quickly fix on our own (we're pretty good at that)."

"We'll definitely be patching all platforms with every little content and performance fix we can find so folks can rest assured we're doing everything we can (and WILL for a long time. We want the game that's on Steam/PS4/anywhere to be the best possible version even after we're out out of the excitement of the launch window)."

So how did the game get released in the current state? There are a couple of reasons. One is that test kits and retail units are slightly different, so it's possible that these issues can crop up in one and not the other.

"I've played the game for hundreds and hundreds of hours on PS4, and maybe because it's on test-kits and some retail boxes are different I personally didn't experience these things," Vanaman explained. "That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I want to unequivocally say it wasn't like we sat in a room, saw this stuff and went 'eh, screw it, sell it anyway.' We're super f***ing bummed that this is happening for some people and we're working actually, literally, around-the-clock on it."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-10-firewatch-dev-assures-a-ps4-framerate-fix-is-on-the-way

PranooY

Beat the game yesterday. I really enjoyed it overall. Now i hear that it has multiple ending. I got the one
in which Delialah asks me to go to Julia, even though i told her that i should move on.
Does it have another ending?

t hicks

Banned
Just finished it in one sitting and I loved it.
Great writing, characters, and atmosphere.
Ending could've been better imo but overall I was really happy with it.
Great choice for the ending credits music too! :)

Osahi

Just finished it, and really liked it. Loved the way the relationship between Henry and D builds up during the (great) dialogue, the atmosphere, just finding your way arond the woods...

I generally liked the story to, though I found the ending a bit disapointing
I don't mind it being grounded, but at felt anticlimatic nontheless. There is a lot of build op, that just sizzles out. I feel it is due to some red herrings being to spectacular, especially the research camp. Once you've been there, you are convinced your in a big conspiracy. The problem is also the camp doesn't really fit with Ned (and if it is an abandoned place, why is all the equipment still there? I feel the game misses a bit of an emotional impact in the end due to this, while the simple story about two lost souls finding each other is actually pretty great

Played it on PS4 and didn't really mind the technical problems. The freezes where annoying, but I played Fallout 3 and Skyrim on PS3 so I've seen worse :') Had the game freeze twice during loading though, but nothing to bad. It's regretfull, but for me didn't really hurt the experience.

Just finished it, one sitting. Took just over 4 hours and 10 minutes.

Overall, I liked it a lot and I wish there were more games like this. Most importantly, I enjoyed it, it had some awesome tension and mystery, and it was very unique. I appreciate that. That said, I was a bit underwhelmed or unsatisfied in the end. Maybe because conversation choices or perhaps I was just hoping for something different. Just sort of felt like this awesome build, the tension (both scary and social) but no real payoff. Almost kinda, ummm... depressing ;p Anti-climatic. That said, the ride was still great but at 4 hours with no real interest to replay it (the mystery and tension was pretty darn important I think), a pretty expensive movie at $18 CAD. But still worth it if only to support more games like this.

Gonna read the spoiler thread now, curious to see how varied the results or responses can be.

leng jai

Ah crap, people weren't kidding about the ending. How underwhelming. Great game though, they really created a unique experience. The sound design is spot on and the game's atmosphere in general is off the charts.

Frostburn

Thanks! These were my fun break from texturing trees.

The back of the book sleeves with what each book was about and the quotes were really great too. I wish I could collect all the books I've found in the supply caches and bring them back to the bookshelf in the watch tower.

reminder

Finished it in 2 sessions and loved it. Very nice presentation and atmosphere. Of course there we're framerate issues and pop ups (PS4 version), but I hadn't any freezes or game breaking bugs. I only wish it was a little longer, but only because I would like to spend more time in the woods.

Wikzo

Great game. Really liked how visceral everything felt. The concept with talking via walkie-talkies fit the setting really well. Somehow felt like a natural progression from the codec calls in Metal Gear Solid.

Now I also have a lot of nice new wallpapers. But it is hard to decide which one to use :p

As others said, the ending was a bit "meh".
Was I the only one who were starting to expect/hope for some Shutter Island kind of reveal?

Maffis

Really enjoyed it until the ending. It felt very underwhelming. Like a "that's all?" kinda feeling. The game did so great into building up the tension and creating a really freaky atmosphere around it all. But that ending was way too grounded.

What is the full file size of this game, anyways? I've read that it shows as 3.2gb on the PS Store, but that it's ended up being larger for some, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Wanace

What in god's name is up with the framerate? I'm getting like 15 FPS no matter the settings. I have a 970m with 6GB VRAM. Things like Witcher 3 and XCOM2 pose no problems for me.

Moss

What in god's name is up with the framerate? I'm getting like 15 FPS no matter the settings. I have a 970m with 6GB VRAM. Things like Witcher 3 and XCOM2 pose no problems for me.

Add a profile for firewatch.exe in nvidia control panel and make sure it is using dedicated GPU. Sounds like the game is defaulting to your integrated graphics.

wouwie

I bought the game on PS4 but i'll wait to play until performance is improved with a patch. I hope the developer is serious when they say there are doing everything they can to improve the technical issues.

Top Bottom