• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most infuriating levels

McBryBry

The Research Hall in The Old Hunters DLC for Bloodborne inspired this.

This level has standard enemies that are rage inducing to me. Overwhelming numbers of them at once. To top it off, the boss is the same idea of numbers instead of a unique boss.

Mile High Club on Veteran in COD4 was a doozy.

Edit-

The level with Khe San (sp?) Hill in Blops1 was fucking annoying on Veteran as well.

DrArchon

Can't remember the level number, but the level with the dice in DMC4 when you're Nero. Fuck that bullshit. I want to get to the fighs, not fuck around with board games! Kills any attempt to replay the whole game. Total momentum roadblock and awful design all around.

Goney

tmnt-nes-water.jpg

TMNT for the NES

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
tumblr_m1omay6FrU1qb33t3o1_500.png

Carnival Night in Sonic 3.
Way before the age of the internet, this stage was a nightmare to figure out.

Kinsei

Banned
2142319-monkey_watch.jpg

Fuck trying to get a perfect on Monkey Watch (Rhythm Heaven Fever). This level is way too long.

ZW_282.jpg

Barbaros Land in Zack and Wiki. The sword fighting controls are so bad. It took me forever to get the highest possible score on this level.

Any level with stairs in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.
castlevania-iii-climbing-stairs.png

Stage 5 on Sypha's path, and stage 9 are the biggest offenders. Trying to use the sub-weapons, or attack, or dodge, or do anything is so hard. It doesn't help that the international release of this game is way tougher than the Japanese version.
Chapter 25 Fire Emblem Fates Conquest Lunatic. Literally the spawn of the devil.

I was planning on playing Fates on Hard/Classic when I got it, but this is the 5th or 6th time I've seen this chapter mentioned. I'm honestly kind of scared.

Any level with stairs in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.
I was planning on playing Fates on Hard/Classic when I got it, but this is the 5th or 6th time I've seen this chapter mentioned. I'm honestly kind of scared.

I know this chapter is designed as an intentional thematic counterpart to another chapter but for the lunatic Version they just went overboard on the contrast and they throw one of the most ridiculous skills in the Franchise at you, which rewrites the rules of one of the main mechanics of the game.

The most fearful enemies are not those Beserkers, Trueblades or Generals, but Maids.

The on rails turret section in Jak 2 or the mission where you have to destroy the giant spider tanks as they rampage across the city. Like fuck how did I beat that game as a kid.

Welp I just spent all night on Thornmarch Extreme in FFXIV and have nothing to show for it except for that goddamn song stuck in my head. King Mog don't take no prisoners, I'll tell you that.

El Odio

Banned
Mario 3D Land, Special 8-Crown. Ugh.

Also whatever the 3D World equivalent was called.
I can't hate on Champions Road because while difficult it manages to both make use of a lot of mechanics from the game while upping the difficulty of them in a way that isn't bullshittingly hard.

Special 8 - Crown IIRC had a lot of stupid shit like using the high bounce off of toads to reach platforms you could hardly guess the distance to correctly that made it almost impossible to do unless you had a tanooki suit.

My personal vote goes to the Stone Cyclone Galaxy from SMG2 since I just went through that. They brought back one of the lamer/hard parts of the original just so they could make it faster. Quite honestly the only real low point of the game for me.

Fasty

That train level in Splinter Cell Blacklist

Edit: And the asteroid levels in Dead Space when using a controller. Actually, the majority of the levels in Dead Space are an exercise in frustration

Top Bottom