• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

BuddyC
(09-08-2006, 06:42 PM)
Hard to believe it's been seven years since you launched here on 9/9/99. Seven years! And to think of the joy you've brought to the gaming public in that time!

Happy birthday, old friend. We miss you.
ethelred
(09-08-2006, 06:43 PM)
He'll always live on in our hearts. As long as we keep our memories of him.

:(
teiresias
(09-08-2006, 06:44 PM)
What a disappointment . . .

. . . I miss original, old school, Phantasy Star Online, oh those were the days.
radioheadrule83
Banned
;_;

the coloured candles for buttons is a nice touch! I would have been really lazy if I was gonna take such a photo. I would have just covered a real dreamcast in cream.
meltpotato
Great thread! I was actually thinking about DC this morning on the train. It's amazing that I'm still playing the thing more than anything, aside the PS2, seven years later when it was only active for such a very short time. painful example of how the industry changed so much around the late 90's
EmCeeGramr
Its the 8th? Or were you just trying to beat the others?

But crazy taxi DOES own.
Wollan
The reason why I will never ever be banned.
Haha, nice cake. You made it yourself?
jett
D-Member
(09-08-2006, 06:45 PM)
September 9th is tomorrow...

but uh happy birthday DC! You gave me 5 awesome months of gaming and next-gen hope until...well, you know
radioheadrule83
Banned
(09-08-2006, 06:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Probationsmack

But crazy taxi DOES own.

It is the 8th here, but I think it might be the 9th in Japan or something soon... bah i dunno.
Attack You
(09-08-2006, 06:46 PM)
God bless Sega.net. Best free ISP I ever had. :lol
DaCocoBrova
Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
(09-08-2006, 06:46 PM)
*Pours out a lil' liquor...*
BuddyC
(09-08-2006, 06:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Probationsmack

But crazy taxi DOES own.

Just wanted to get it in before the weekend, really. It wouldn't be as fun if the Monday through Friday crew weren't here to celebrate as well. Plus, an entire weekend to commemorate our long-lost friend! I still remember the day we heard the news.

Originally Posted by Wollan

Haha, nice cake. You made it yourself?

Someone posted it here a long, long time ago. I've long since lost track of where it originated, I had to dig around for a while just to find it on my servers, but it seemed a fitting tribute.
wasting
Banned
(09-08-2006, 06:47 PM)
you are missed, can't wait to see you again in 2009
radioheadrule83
Banned
(09-08-2006, 06:48 PM)

Originally Posted by wasting

you are missed, can't wait to see you again in 2009

keanerie
(09-08-2006, 06:48 PM)
Oh, Dreamcast. My only true love.
snacknuts
we all knew her
(09-08-2006, 06:49 PM)
I wanted to like my Dreamcast, I really did. The sports games were great, but I just couldn't get interested in much for that system. I must be the only person on the planet who thought Crazy Taxi wasn't any fun at all.
Skilotonn
xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
(09-08-2006, 06:51 PM)
You mean 9/9/99 Buddy :)

The best damn release date ever, unless Bungie brings Halo 3 on 07/07/07... which won't happen... heh heh

Ahh, my dear Dreamcast, my 2D fighting machine, where I own just about every 2D game that came out on the DC - the console that made me a fan of Dead or Alive, and had some of the most kickass games in gaming history period... damn

In a way, its torch has been passed on to the Xbox/Xbox 360, but the DC will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart - Xbox Live is the only thing that knocked the DC off my favourite console of all time ranking, but the games, especially the 2D ones, keep the distance from 1st as small as possible...

R.I.P. Dreamcast...
Danthrax
Batteries the CRISIS!
Oh Dreamcast, I wish I would have bought you. I tried buying Dreamcast ports on GameCube to make up for it but it just isn't the same. I feel like I've betrayed you, and now I can't rectify my sins until Sega releases their next console. =(
Kiriku
SWEDISH PERFECTION
It feels like we're having this thread every year. But hey...most of the Dreamcast games have been ported to other consoles anyway and Sega still develop games! So it still lives on in spirit. ;)
bluemax
Banned
(09-08-2006, 06:53 PM)

Originally Posted by zesty

I wanted to like my Dreamcast, I really did. The sports games were great, but I just couldn't get interested in much for that system. I must be the only person on the planet who thought Crazy Taxi wasn't any fun at all.

I bought a DC used and I feel the same in some ways. I bought a bunch of games but ended up finishing only a few. Sports games were fun, especially the NBA ones with 4 people going, Powerstone was all right but the load times just killed it, I did like Crazy Taxi though. Maybe it's cause the console died so early, but of the existing library there's only a handful of titles I would ever pause and consider digging out again.

I did actually unbox my DC this semester, although it's yet to get hooked up.
GZ!
(09-08-2006, 06:54 PM)

No, you are not. It was fun for a little while, but after that it was pretty boring imo. But let's not say how we don't like the system, that will spoil the party.

Power Stone 2 4-player FTW!!!
UncleScr00ge
(09-08-2006, 06:55 PM)
Why are those cakes beeping at me?
meltpotato
(09-08-2006, 06:56 PM)

I dunno what kind of games you are into, but if you aren't a big arcade fan, it probably isnt the console for you. that's, IMO, part of why it failed as well as part of why it is timeless for its fans.
GitarooMan
(09-08-2006, 06:58 PM)
This makes want to go play some Power Stone, Hydro Thunder, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, NFL 2K, that was one hell of a launch. I couldn't believe all the incredible stuff that was available week one.
Shawn
Banned
(09-08-2006, 07:03 PM)
Oh, sh*t!

I had forgotten that today is 9/9 -- the seventh anniversary of Dreamcast.

Dreamcast + VGA Box + 19-inch PC monitor + Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star Online, etc., etc., = my favorite console of all time.
DaCocoBrova
Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
(09-08-2006, 07:04 PM)
Today isn't 9/9
Pope Benedict XVI
(09-08-2006, 07:06 PM)
the dreamcast was a wonderful celebration of the spirit of arcade gaming, and so it sort of marks the end of an era. Plus there was shenmue and skies of arcadia too.
gutter_trash
Banned
(09-08-2006, 07:07 PM)
forever onward forth, Semptember 9 will herbye become DREAMCAST DAY

and everony here must hook up their 1st launch titles that they bought and replay them that day and remember how freakin`cool the Dreamcast was and how much it goodness it brought to us gamers.

Sonic Adventure 1, Soul Calibur 1 and House Of the Dead 2 w gun will re-visit my Dreamcast tomorow on DREAMCAST DAY for the ceremonial loading of the VMU

SEGA!!!
Danthrax
Batteries the CRISIS!
(09-08-2006, 07:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Pope Benedict XVI

the dreamcast was a wonderful celebration of the spirit of arcade gaming, and so it sort of marks the end of an era. Plus there was shenmue and skies of arcadia two.

Fixed, I wish.
GhostSeed
(09-08-2006, 07:11 PM)
What a great system. Thanks for the memories Sega.

(Some fun links to re-live the glory days.)

http://www.dreamcasthistory.com/dch_main.shtml

http://sega.jp/dc/db/home.html
Joe Molotov
(09-08-2006, 07:12 PM)
I can't believe it's been 5 years since people started making "I can't believe it's been X years since the Dreamcast came out. RIP, you'll always live forever in our hearts and minds. Best Friends Forever. *SOB*I love you!" threads.
Scrow
Still Tagged Accordingly
(09-08-2006, 07:12 PM)

Originally Posted by radioheadrule83

AntoneM
(09-08-2006, 07:14 PM)
Still got the little guy hooked up in my living room.
BuddyC
(09-08-2006, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Kiriku

It feels like we're having this thread every year. But hey...most of the Dreamcast games have been ported to other consoles anyway and Sega still develop games! So it still lives on in spirit. ;)

It's too bad that gems like Samba de Amigo and Bangai-O were lost in the transition and have yet to receive their well-deserved next-gen upgrades. The US never even got a chance to play the much-improved Samba de Amigo Ver. 2000 :(

And oh, what a golden age it was for Sonic Team. Between Samba and PSO, there were at the top of their game, and I can only hope they somehow, someday, regain their groove.
Afro Thunder
(09-08-2006, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by DaCocoBrova

Today isn't 9/9

In Japan it is 09/09 :)
meppi
(09-08-2006, 07:21 PM)
I can still recall picking mine up on launch day, which was october 14th '99 over here in Belgium.
Only had Virtua Fighter 3TB, Sega Rally 2 and Sonic Adventure on day one but had a blast with them untill the other games started coming out.

Since I was close to 2 years late for picking up a Saturn after it's launch, and it being the system that rejuvenated my love for videogaming at the time when was starting to fade, I vowed to pick up every new system Sega released the day it came out.

Sadly I would only be able to honor that promise 1 last time. :'(

Loved the little white system and still do to this day.

Strange thing about Crazy Taxi is that many reviews also said it was a short lived experience, yet it probably is my most played DC game. Several hundred hours at least, with a highscore of 60.000 or so.

A bitter-sweet moment for me was when I finally picked up a new/mint pal copy of Grandia 2 for the DC 2 weeks ago. I had been looking for it for a couple of years.

Still have a couple of import games I'm planning on getting also, so in some way my friend still lives on in my house.:)
jenov4
(09-08-2006, 07:22 PM)
Hey today's the 8th - You're jumping the gun! :D
Majmun
(09-08-2006, 07:23 PM)
Most overrated console in history. IMO

Sure, the launchgames were great. And some other games too, but it's being quite overrated.

bails out of the thread
Shawn
Banned
(09-08-2006, 07:25 PM)

Today isn't 9/9

Oops. I need glasses.
Shig
Strap on your hooker ...
(09-08-2006, 07:28 PM)
Happy birthday FFVIII- er, I mean, DC!

My DC stays hooked up for Crazy Taxi, Project Justice, Worms World Party, and Mars Matrix.

For the Crazy Taxi haters... it doesn't have much appeal if you're not playing for score. If you're not getting over $25,000 consistently, you're not playing it right.
Attack You
(09-08-2006, 07:30 PM)
My game list is down (permanently). :( I'm trying to remember what I bought with the system... Ah. Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi, and Dead or Alive 2. I wanted the system for Code: Veronica, which was given to me as a birthday present before I had a chance to purchase it for myself. A lot of great timesinks on the DC for me, as well: PSO (1,200 hrs.), Sonic Adventure 2 (140 hrs.), Powerstone 2 (dozens of hours), Gauntlet Legends (dozens of hours), Rush 2049 (dozens of hours), Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (dozens of hours), SF3 3rd Strike (dozens upon dozens of hours). Not nearly as many timesinks for me on other systems.
BuddyC
(09-08-2006, 07:32 PM)

Originally Posted by jenov4

Hey today's the 8th - You're jumping the gun! :D

Like I've already said, there's no sense throwing a party on-time if everyone can't make it. Better to have it a day early and let the Monday through Friday GAF crew join in on the fun.

Originally Posted by Skilotonn

You mean 9/9/99 Buddy :)

Thanks! :D
Luckett_X
Banned
(09-08-2006, 07:35 PM)
Good memories from the Dreamcast. Sega's full out assault with great new IP's that of course will probably never return (JSR, Skies...). But hey look, whats a funeral wake without a bit of remorseless desecration:

[IMG]http://www.************.com/Webmasters/Images/4508620060908_181032_23_big.jpg[/IMG]
megashock5
(09-08-2006, 07:35 PM)
Wow, you're picture reminds me of 9/9/99 - my wife and I made Dreamcast cupcakes (with icing w/ orange icing swirls) for the launch party. Four couples, (all of the men wearing DC tshirts from preordering at EB) and some awesome Soul Calibur and PowerStone action.

I still love that system.
ZeoVGM
formerly omg rite
(09-08-2006, 07:45 PM)
happy birthday to the best system this past gen
Odrion
Banned
(09-08-2006, 07:47 PM)
I will remember you~

Will you remember me~

Donít let your life pass you by~

Weep not for the memories~

Ravager61
(09-08-2006, 07:48 PM)
My biggest gaming regret is selling my Dreamcast. I bought one the day it came out and loved it. I had so many good games for that system.

R.I.P. Dreamcast.
Kiriku
SWEDISH PERFECTION
(09-08-2006, 07:50 PM)

Originally Posted by BuddyC

It's too bad that gems like Samba de Amigo and Bangai-O were lost in the transition and have yet to receive their well-deserved next-gen upgrades. The US never even got a chance to play the much-improved Samba de Amigo Ver. 2000 :(

And oh, what a golden age it was for Sonic Team. Between Samba and PSO, there were at the top of their game, and I can only hope they somehow, someday, regain their groove.

Yeah, and it seems like Sega has abandoned Samba de Amigo now, unless you want to count the collection of Eyetoy games Sega released for PS2 (where SdA was one of those games).
Conrad Link
(09-08-2006, 07:56 PM)
That's not a very flattering SC screen shot. :lol

I love/loved my DC, some of the best arcade fun i've had in all my gaming years + the likes of Shenmue etc. Although I didn't fall in love with PSO till the Cube I hear the DC one had a great community too.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 takes the cake though! <3

Happy Birthday DC!

RIP Sega!
Attack You
(09-08-2006, 07:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Conrad Link

RIP Sega you retarded monkeys!

Stop adding shit to your post! :lol

Poor Sega. It's like a retired war vet that everyone walks up to and says "Rest in peace, old friend" even as they're shaking his hand.