• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard is interested in reinventing the RTS genre for modern tastes

So we need a 1v1 Moba, wait why hasn't that happened yet?

It is impossible. You are either playing a 1vs1 ARAM like during the all-stars, or an action game without all the MOBA mechanics: items, leveling, minions, farming, towers.

It also wouldn't have any legs: you have barely any abilities and chaining them together isn't difficult at all. If you look at SFV or MKX the whole 1vs1 complexity comes from attacking/blocking/chaining combos etc.

The laning phase in LoL is probably the least interesting part of the game. Defensive playstyle + free vision = best you can do is +10 or +20 minions.

This makes me want someone to develop an RTS that flips between a macro-only phase and a micro-only phase. Maybe there could be a day/night cycle, where you gather resources and build structures during the day, and you purely engage in combat at night. Is there any game out there that does that already?

Star Wars: Empire at War was structured somewhat like this, if memory serves, but the way the macro and micro layers were integrated was rather shoddy. The problem with trying to paste two games together in one is that you risk creating an experience where players are hooked on one and repelled by the other, which was how I felt about Empire at War's space (management) and ground (battle) phases, respectively.

Of course, that was a situation where the macro and micro layers were on two completely separate battlefields, whereas you are hinting at something that is all taking place on one map, like the zombie defence mission in Wings of Liberty (build/defend at night, hunt around the map during the day). It would indeed be interesting to extend the WC3 day/night system such that map-driven, PvE elements discourage fighting at night. If Heroes of the Storm has taught me anything, though, not everyone appreciates splitting a game between playing against the opponent and playing against the map mechanics. (I do, if it's done well.)

injurai

Banned
I'd take a new RTS from them. But reinventing kind of makes me nervous. Like they are about to throw the baby out with the bathwater...

Zebetite

Banned
Airmech is a throwback to Herzog Zwei, a game that actually came out several years before the modern RTS (Warcraft, CnC, etc.) was codified. It wouldn't be "RIP RTS," it would be like a rock musician going back to the genre's roots in blues.

if the last rock musician decides they're gonna start playing the blues it's still rip rock music

Rathorial

Really don't think shorter mission time would do much to improve the RTS place sales wise, or that it even has much of an effect.

I also don't think a reinvention along the lines of another game trying to gut out more staples of the genre, and dilute it down to an even more basic essence will work either. Plenty of studios have already tried that, and none of them have been as successful as Starcraft 2's iteration on Starcraft 1. Well I guess maybe you can stretch it, and say Clash of Clans does that, but I'd really hope for something less dumb.

I look more at something like Ultimate General: Gettysburg as a step in the right direction, where it fundamentally changes how you control units. Instead of placing constant points quickly, it instead lets you draw paths like a sports play diagram. Something I think is not only more accessible and natural for players to pick up, but since I've seen such a token few games even do it...just open for more innovation.

Quite a few newer RTSs in the late 2000s were focused on either reinventing core combat, or just sticking to the tried true rock paper scissors, but base building and resource management have received little attention to try to innovate. It's also the area that very much differentiates them over MOBAs, and if someone can make a new fun template for that along with some decent combat they have a real chance of getting attention.

Top Bottom