• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal Review Thread.

Auctopus

"I think I've cleared out enough enemy camps for a lifetime." - so, it's the old Ubi template again, even in the Stone Age.

Lots of positives about the environment and setting so I might play it when it's a bit cheaper.

IvanJ

Banned
Solid reviews, I'm glad.
This was going to be a $30 purchase for me regardless of the reviews, but it's nice to see that the game is good.

GRaider81

Seems stupid to say about an ubi game but it seems "different" enough to give it a go at some point.

My biggest concern looks to be an issue though and that is lack of weapon variety.

Karak

My review for ACG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjYxcHQh_WM
Rated it a Buy

"Basically has some of the best nohud gameplay of the Farcry series. Additionally the difficulties matter and though its got some Farcry gameplay tropes, because its a Farcry title, its unique theme and attitude towards the negative spaces between carnage points is actually really elegant."

CaLe

"I think I've cleared out enough enemy camps for a lifetime." - so, it's the old Ubi template again, even in the Stone Age.

Well, this is a rehashed "made in one year to maximize profit" entry in the series. We can deny it all we want, but their intention was never to make a great game. It was to come out with a new entry as quickly as possible in order to maximize profit.

Gskyace

The most successful achievement only Far Cry games can get is, after the story, no more than three characters in each game you can recall their names.
Now it comes with the new original Hakulamatata ancient language...

GHG

Gold Member
Well, this is a rehashed "made in one year to maximize profit" entry in the series. We can deny it all we want, but their intention was never to make a great game. It was to come out with a new entry as quickly as possible in order to maximize profit.

Apart from the fact that they didn't make this game in just one year.

stevivor

A solid 7.5 from us.

http://stevivor.com/2016/02/review-far-cry-primal/

"Is this a full release, or should it be a third of the price? Far Cry fans, allow me to ease the ambiguity and confirm Primal is more than lavish remix. However, it lacks the innovation and evolution that’s to be expected of Far Cry 5, comfortably slotting in somewhere in-between as a typical spin-off."

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Reviews look solid, I'll save it for the next game drought.

ZeroX03

Banned
Seems about in line with what people expected. Also looks like that for story failings that the gameplay made the transition to 10,000BCE very well. I'll pick it up on the first sale probably.

Also can you still glide to traverse? I need to be in the skies.

It may have not been the executives goal to make a great game, but the goal is always to make money before quality. I'm sure the devs are trying their best to make a great game within limited means.

Uh, yeah, I doubt the developers of this game wanted to make a stinker. I have almost zero interest in this game but I'm not going to say something like this.

And, going by reviews, it actually looks like the game turned out to be pretty good, especially if you want more Far Cry.

Here's our review on Push Square - 7/10:

Despite some new additions – and a brand new setting in a largely untapped historical era – if you dig under the surface of Far Cry Primal, you'll find a remarkably well preserved edition of Far Cry 4 entombed within. As a result, if you were hoping for more of a revolution to the formula, or didn't particularly enjoy the hunting mechanics in past games, then you're best off steering clear of this title. Of course, if you're merely looking to jump back into the familiar Far Cry gameplay loop in a captivating open world, then there's still plenty of fun to be had. And at the end of the day, who on Earth doesn't want to ride around on a bear?

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/far_cry_primal

SJRB

Gold Member

Outrageous and gross statement.

Karak

Outrageous and gross statement.

Well this is a rehashed "made in one second to maximize reaction" post in the thread. We can deny it all we want, but the intention was never to make a great post. It was to come out with a new post as quickly as possible to maximize reaction.

I feel some of those 9/10 from websites I've never heard of are just trying to get on the trailer lol
Just because you haven't heard of them or they have actually no real readership and look to be just thrown up quickly?

Some of them are better then i expected. still expecting low to mid 70's.

It doesnt look like a Far Cry game to me. more like they got halfway into making it and decided it wasnt special enough to stand out so just threw the Far Cry name onto it.

R3TRODYCE

Whoa at those reviews. I'm glad they delayed the PC version by a week or I would have blindly bought it before the scores dropped.

Grassy

Wow...so now developers just straight-up want to make bad games huh? Shitty post.

jediyoshi

I liked it better when people stuck with #lazydevs

Karak

Some of them are better then i expected. still expecting low to mid 70's.

It doesnt look like a Far Cry game to me. more like they got halfway into making it and decided it wasnt special enough to stand out so just threw the Far Cry name onto it.

Open critic right now is mid 80's with 30 top reviews right now.

ZeroX03

Banned
Well this is a rehashed "made in one second to maximize reaction" post in the thread. We can deny it all we want, but the intention was never to make a great post. It was to come out with a new post as quickly as possible to maximize reaction.

10/10

CaLe

Clearly we are not allowed our own opinion. I hope people purchasing this are not the ones complaining about yearly AC installments.

Clearly we are not allowed our own opinion. I hope people purchasing this are not the ones complaining about yearly AC installments.
What you said wasn't a opinion . You said the game was made in a year without the evidence to back it up.

I actually really like the setting, but peel that away and its very much a Far Cry game - which I'm kinda of burnt out on. Much like Assassin's Creed, they just change the setting and a few little tweaks, the never really push their series further. I'm kinda over open world games that think that bigger is better, and just put a whole bunch of filler to pad out the experience. I'd rather a smaller map, with a real variety of things to complete.

Top Bottom