• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second: End Layer |OT| Those Thighs, Good Gravy! [out now in NA]

I'm not sure if I want to do that stupid thing again like my JP playthrough or just rush on easy....
edit: sorry for those who asking if it's ok to just read the wiki for previous game stuff. when you 1st started the game there'll be some short plot recap. totally forgot about this

aravuus

The dialogue is so weird in this game, like the characters were doing an insanely exaggerated act - and I'm really enjoying it

yeh... can abuse friend summon this fast....
CcKstGzW4AAa9xX.jpg

Glass Rebel

The dialogue is so weird in this game, like the characters were doing an insanely exaggerated act - and I'm really enjoying it

... I'm currently rehearsing for a play and now that you mention it, I won't be able to unsee it. The way cutscenes are displayed doesn't help either.

Few hours into the prologue and some of the stuff that happened was fairly surprising. Hadn't looked up anything in terms of story so after playing the demo I assumed (early character spoilers)
that my team through the game would be Yew, Janne, Nikolai and Magnolia.

Taruranto

Ah, I forgot about the Link-ability function, very useful.

Gameplay seems pretty much Bravely Default 1.5, although not feeling some of the new jobs (The centaur, seriously? Give me old good Warrior or Berserker)

Cast is mostly meh.

Added my 3DS code in the OP, feel free to add me, anyone.

ZeroX03

Banned
Finished prologue:
Yew got played. He's okay. Tiz back is cool. Magnolia is still a mystery but not as annoying as the BD ending/demo made her out to be. Nothing really new with Edea yet. Where is my boy Ringabel?
Combat is excellent, as expected. And every second word is gravy.

did the demo? as what about was it costumes in the Japanese release that required that or am i mis-remembering?

JP version involves with updating data to SQEX members site, which unlocks a number of Freelancer costumes depending on BDFF/FTS clear result/game owned. Western version doesn't have that feature. But I think someone on gamefaqs said that costume is purchaseable in one of ingame shop, although I'm not sure if you can buy multiples of it.

Taruranto

Unlocked the
Fencer and Bishop
jobs (do we need to spoiler them?)

I gave the first to Magnolia since she speaks french and the second to Tiz since he wants to bang the Pope.

Onward on chapter 1 now!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I left the first continent, man the characters and story are so boring lol. Remember me of Tales :\

Unlocked the
Fencer and Bishop
jobs (do we need to spoiler them?)

I gave the first to Magnolia since she speaks french and the second to Tiz since he wants to bang the Pope.

Onward on chapter 1 now!
i think no need except for few final jobs.... basically jobs until Guardian since Nintendo already mentioned those in the website & job trailers
Chompcraft was a surprise, lol.

The voice acting of the chomp enthusiast was just wow lol

oh i forgot to put that minigame in OT (more like i dunno what it is called in english). will do it later then

How is the story compared to the first one so far? I thought Default story was damn good until the twist.

imo it's less exciting than the previous one. i guess i really like the loop reasoning stuff in that game. anyway i'm replaying it just to see how the localization handles certain stuff in this game haha

demonkaze

So is there any tips to end battles on the first round to chain the battles more? I'm still at the last dungeon of the Prologue and I can't chain more than 2 battles due to being in -BP.

Razmos

Oh! The music from the asterisk holder fights in the original returns when you are fighting
the bosses from the first game
, awesome.

Also, the Wizards spellcraft ability is amazing, augmenting Bishop's Holy Night ability (restores health if you are hit while defaulting) with the Mist spellcraft applies the affect to your whole party. I just used that strategy against a really hard hitting boss who destroyed me on the first attempt, this time I absolutely wrecked him.

Taruranto

What the hell is this Chomp bullshit...

Some of you guys are really fast are grinding, I have someone in my FL with a bunch of level 6 abilities.

So is there any tips to end battles on the first round to chain the battles more? I'm still at the last dungeon of the Prologue and I can't chain more than 2 battles due to being in -BP.

early game is hard to maintain high chain. when your party is stronger and have access to more moves that can hit multiple enemies, then it is a bit easier

Orcastar

The first game started out great and then turned into utter garbage in the second half. I can't think of any other game that I've ever liked so much at first but ended up hating. Sorry SE, but I'm not gonna fall for it a second time.

aravuus

The first game started out great and then turned into utter garbage in the second half. I can't think of any other game that I've ever liked so much at first but ended up hating. Sorry SE, but I'm not gonna fall for it a second time.

Ookay. I'm not sure why you're so convinced BS's second half is like BD's was, but I guess we'll see.

jorgejjvr

People always say this, "second half" as if true

Out of my 35 hour game file, the "second half" or the part at the end where it got repetitive, was only about 2-4 hours - again out of 35. So people exaggerate too much, greatfully I didn't mind it that last part because of how much I love the combat, and thankfully the last boss fight was well worth it. Those last hours do not detract from the entirety of the game

Hyperbole much

Sadist

So after nine-ish hours...

First chapter; the boss fights can be a bit mean though. The sidequest with De Rosa and Jackal wasn't that special, but you have to choose which Asterisk you want. I decided on the Red Mage one because de Rosa is a douche. Afterwards at lvl 17 I ventured into the the Ba'al crater and it took a few tries to defeat the Ba'al Urchin. It's not that strong, but it took a moment to understand the shadow it summons, it's attack patterns and which jobs to use. At lvl 18 with a Wizard, Fencer, Red Mage and uh, Cleric? (Forgot the job name) it's pretty doable. You just need to pace yourself.

The option to fight multiple battles after the other really comes in handy. If you find a good place to grind (the sea towards the crater helps) you can rack up a serious amount of exp, jp and money. Rewards 2,4 x the normal worth makes grinding more fun.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
First chapter; the boss fights can be a bit mean though. The sidequest with De Rosa and Jackal wasn't that special, but you have to choose which Asterisk you want.

I must be really distracted, but how did you get "there" on the map? I can only find my way to the B'aal Crater and nothing else.

Sadist

I must be really distracted, but how did you get "there" on the map? I can only find my way to the B'aal Crater and nothing else.
In Al-Kampis you need to speak with someone... and than a few back and forth trips to the oasis. Look for a blue text bubble. I don't know if it's indoors though.

I followed Bravely Default for a while, tempted to pick it up but never did as honestly I don't play my 3DS much. Anyway, Pokemon Day today got me to boot my 3DS up for the first time in ages and I found that Spot Pass had decided to download the demo for Bravely Second since I last turned it on. Decided "what the hell" and checked it out.

I think I'm in love.

Love the artstyle, love the characters, love the battle system.

I want in.

What's best to start with? Jump straight into the zeitgeist and pick up Bravely Second or go back and play Bravely Default? They're both the same price (in fact Default is actually a few pounds more expensive; a bit of a rarity, I guess?) so it's just a case of preference.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
People always say this, "second half" as if true

Out of my 35 hour game file, the "second half" or the part at the end where it got repetitive, was only about 2-4 hours - again out of 35. So people exaggerate too much, greatfully I didn't mind it that last part because of how much I love the combat, and thankfully the last boss fight was well worth it. Those last hours do not detract from the entirety of the game

Hyperbole much

SPOT ON POST.

Most JRPGs have low moments in an 70 hour game, it's not game breaking that BD has a rough patch for no more than 5 hours, that you can get through insanely fast with no encounters turned on. In fact, it's actually one of the best parts of the game because you have he most challenging boss battles, and no trash mobs. You're repeating the same environments and enemies but I mean... Persona 3/4 is way more egrious than BD .

ZeroX03

Banned
I followed Bravely Default for a while, tempted to pick it up but never did as honestly I don't play my 3DS much. Anyway, Pokemon Day today got me to boot my 3DS up for the first time in ages and I found that Spot Pass had decided to download the demo for Bravely Second since I last turned it on. Decided "what the hell" and checked it out.

I think I'm in love.

I want in.

What's best to start with? Jump straight into the zeitgeist and pick up Bravely Second or go back and play Bravely Default? They're both the same price (in fact Default is actually a few pounds more expensive; a bit of a rarity, I guess?) so it's just a case of preference.

Play Default first. Second is a direct sequel, and thanks to gameplay improvements you wouldn't want to backtrack later.

takriel

Jesus, Chapter 1 spoilers
just finished off the first Ba'al
and I'm already level 27. Grinding is so easy now with chainings... I sort of like it though :D

I think I'm in love.

I want in.

Bravely second gives away all the major plot details of default in the first few minutes, so I have to recommend playing them in order.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Play Default first. Second is a direct sequel, and thanks to gameplay improvements you wouldn't want to backtrack later.
I agree. Not only this, but Second's first cutscene literally covers Default's storyline.

Sometimes I wish I didn't go into GAME - my local store had two spare collector's editions sitting on the counter, so I had to liberate one of them (so much for going for the digital download version!). No regrets, though - it's a very nice package, and I love the artbook.

Top Bottom