• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factorio | STEAMPOWERED Industrial Optimization

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Glad to see this get more attention. It's a really unique and fun game.

Easily one of the most underappreciated games of the past few years, yeah.

ultron87

Well, this looks like everything I've ever wanted from a game. Love anything where you get to assemble big lines of contraptions like that and see them work.

Will buy after work.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is the coop robust? I want to try to convince my Open TTD buddies to try something new.

Robust as in stable? Yes.
And it has the same features as "SP". It might actually be a really good fit compared to TT.

Purkake4

Banned
Well, this looks like everything I've ever wanted from a game. Love anything where you get to assemble big lines of contraptions like that and see them work.

Will buy after work.
Pretty sure this is the best game available in that very specific genre.

Come for the model train simulation, stay because you can raise the efficiency of advanced circuit production by a few percent if could just figure out the load balancing on that one conveyor belt.

You wont regret it.

I already regret it, because I was up til 1:30am playing it last night :p

It's great and I can already feel the itch to build some incredible contraptions. Though I wouldn't mind another art pass at some point that pretties up the game a bit. Don't mind the perspective, but it can be hard to differentiate machine from resources or debri on the ground at times.

Amazing game.

Toma

I already regret it, because I was up til 1:30am playing it last night :p

It's great and I can already feel the itch to build some incredible contraptions. Though I wouldn't mind another art pass at some point that pretties up the game a bit. Don't mind the perspective, but it can be hard to differentiate machine from resources or debri on the ground at times.

Amazing game.

Eh, doesnt count. You can regret that all you want. :p

aajohnny

I don't typically play these types of games but I bought it to give it a shot. It was like 10:00 pm. I look at the clock "I'm going to go to bed soon, I'll just finish this campaign level" Turns to the clock again "WHAT IT'S 11:30?... I'll just finish this". I end up at like 1pm before I go to bed.

It was weird to see an OT for this game since I played it such a while ago.

However, it deserves it. In fact, I might return to it because (like I said) I havent played in awhile so the changes must be BIG.

Also, Toma seal of approval is all I need. :)

Thanks as always for all the info you bring Toma.

Toma

It was weird to see an OT for this game since I played it such a while ago.

However, it deserves it. In fact, I might return to it because (like I said) I havent played in awhile so the changes must be BIG.

Also, Toma seal of approval is all I need. :)

Thanks as always for all the info you bring Toma.

They added a million things since I started playing it. Drones, trains, a million of production elements, Coop, etc.
Curious what you'll say after dipping in again. ;)

Man, I've forgotten just to brutally time eating this game can be for fans of logic puzzles and building. I booted it up just to test it out, see if it works fine on steam and all that and ended up putting an entire hour into my new factory.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Any of you rolling this with a steam controller? And good configs? Saw some online I might try maybe

ultron87

Playing this for the first time after a few beers probably wasn't the best idea, but I can already tell this is sooooo my jam.

Sloane

Banned
Good god this game is overwhelming D:
Haha, yeah. Haven't found much time to play it yet, played too much Stardew Valley today, but my head is spinning. Still, looks pretty awesome from the little I've seen.

Thanks for the recommendation, OP!

Toma

Good god this game is overwhelming D:

The story missions ease you slowly enough into it. Just play with your own pace until you are acquainted with the concepts you already learned.

I played all demo levels and I was frustrated with the lack of better tools/machines. I felt hamstrung!
Still... I will pick this up as soon as a sale comes on. This game can end my life.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Campaign is frying my brain. It does take it a little slow, but I always seem to end up with spaghetti conveyor belts all over the place, as I build certain things close to each other at the start when I'm short on resources and end up tying myself in knots.

Only on the second or third level after the demo levels - you find an abandoned base. Taken hours just playing around with that level.

Is it best to try and consolidate your production? Eg have all your iron go to one area and then spin out parts from there?

Toma

Better or worse than spacechem Toma?

That is the meanest question someone ever asked me.

Objectively? Factorio is probably the best game in the genre, simply due to the breadth of different options, features and possibilities, especially considering SpaceChems several design oddities regarding diffiulty levels and theme.

Subjectively? SpaceChem is the most special puzzle game I ever played and will always have a special place in my heart for being the only puzzle game that has the balls to ask a player to sit down for 5-10 hours to solve a single level and make you feel like godfuckingsuperman once you finally do.

So I suppose... Factorio is "better" but SpaceChem will rank higher in my personal Top100?

That is the meanest question someone ever asked me.

Objectively? Factorio is probably the best game in the genre, simply due to the breadth of different options, features and possibilities, especially considering SpaceChems several design oddities regarding diffiulty levels and theme.

Subjectively? SpaceChem is the most special puzzle game I ever played and will always have a special place in my heart for being the only puzzle game that has the balls to ask a player to sit down for 5-10 hours to solve a single level and make you feel like godfuckingsuperman once you finally do.

So I suppose... Factorio is "better" but SpaceChem will rank higher in my personal Top100?

I'm telling Zachtronics you said Factorio is better.

All kidding aside that's an interesting answer, I absolutely love spacechem too, I'll give Factorio a try.

taoofjord

This looks awesome. Thanks Toma, I love that you always let us know about these kinds of logic/programming games. They're a blast. I'll be getting this down the road since I still have to play Infinifactory.

FunnyJay

Neo Member
This game definitely deserves more attention! Bought it this Friday and already spent 12 hours on it over the weekend.

When you guys are talking about the "campaign", do you mean the "scenarios"?
After the tutorial I skipped straight into the sandbox, not even noticing that there were more "campaign"-missions.

After spending 8-9 hours on a large un-optimized factory, I decided to start fresh on a new map. This time my starting position was in a desert! I didn't even know there were different biomes in this game!

Getting the lab up was a priority this time, even though I do not want to automate it yet. I definitely feel that this time I want the different areas more compartmentalized (mining, smelting, industry etc.).

Does anyone know if the wildlife attacks you even if you stay away from them? In my first game they never ventured to my base until I went over and destroyed one of their buildings.

Toma

Does anyone know if the wildlife attacks you even if you stay away from them? In my first game they never ventured to my base until I went over and destroyed one of their buildings.

They will attack based on your factory pollution levels.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
subbing to follow through. the game looks cool as heck but ill wait to see how people feel about it a few weeks in :)

Toma

Can you see your total pollution levels some where? I know you can see per "object".

Check the map, there should be ways to change the viewing mode to pollution.

Toma

subbing to follow through. the game looks cool as heck but ill wait to see how people feel about it a few weeks in :)

I feel awesome about it 3 years in, as everybody does who played it for longer, see many comments on page 1. ;)
The game already proved itself long ago, there really is no need to wait if you like what you see.

I haven't started it yet but I bought this game just because Toma made the thread for it. I barely looked at the OP and just figured it was a safe bet I'd like it considering the other games Toma pushes.

Can you see your total pollution levels some where? I know you can see per "object".

You can't see your total pollution (you never really need to), pollution is calculated per chunk of the map and slowly spreads out as each area reaches maximum pollution capacity, so it is more a localized thing then an overall number. You can see the pollution intensity in an area by clicking the alt key (and I believe you might also be able to see it on the minimap.) Early game tip, trees absorb a lot of pollution, putting your most pollutive structures in a forest and keeping the trees can help reduce the chance of pissing off the locals.

Toma

Early game tip, trees absorb a lot of pollution, putting your most pollutive structures in a forest and keeping the trees can help reduce the chance of pissing off the locals.

Oh neat, didnt know that. Awesome.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I feel awesome about it 3 years in, as everybody does who played it for longer, see many comments on page 1. ;)
The game already proved itself long ago, there really is no need to wait if you like what you see.

oh wow - okay, i mistakenly assumed it had just come out for the first time. Time to dive in then :)

Oh neat, didnt know that. Awesome.

I've had a look at the actual numbers and it is not as effective as I thought it was (I might have been going off an older version of the beta). The amount absorbed is fairly minor although it's not nothing if you put a large forest between yourself and the closest spawner.

Toma

oh wow - okay, i mistakenly assumed it had just come out for the first time. Time to dive in then :)

Nope, it just recently released on Steam EA, but they distributed it for a while now on their website.

GeoGonzo

I was completely sold on this game after watching the latest trailer, and the game absolutely lives up to it. Hoping to try multiplayer one of these days, since I already sent the trailer to a friend and he answered "you son of a bitch..."

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
one more question, how many players does this support in co-op? does co-op work out well in practice? thanks

SleepMachine

Neo Member
This game is awesome.

A friend of mine has had this game for a while. He mentioned it once or twice. It looked interesting from the quick glance i gave it, but not enough to buy an unfinished game from the website.

Fast forward to the Steam release. Saw the trailer. Got hyped. Noticed it had co-op! Got another friend to buy it. We went in blind. Sank 12 hours into the first session (saturday). Quit at 3am.

Yesterday. Another 12 hour-ish session. Quit near 4am. Dreaded work today. Phone alarm was set to 7am. Needless to say, i'm pretty tired atm. =_=

Still at work. 4 hours left.
But i still want to go home and keep playing... but maybe after a powernap...

Good game is good. Already worth the price.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Little aliens destroyed everything I built while I tried figuring out how to attack. It was spacebar.

Next time they are going down.

Toma

Bought this a few days ago but haven't touched it. Seems like a game that would be perfect for touch screens, too. Can't wait to fire it up.

No way, this game would be a huge pain on touchscreen due to the micromanagement and precise instructions.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
No clue if it supports more than 2 players actually, if somebody knows, please let us know.

I read somewhere it has a theoretical maximum of 65535 players...but that sounds like a software/hardware limitation, not sure if that means in practice multiple players can be in one session.

Top Bottom