• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Boss Doggie
Banned
(02-25-2016, 05:06 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
I reckon manga/anime and Jojo generals have covered this, but I figured it's so hilarious that it needs thread because just damn hilarious.

So apparently in the dark age of comics where everyone in the 90's were doing weird shit in American comics, there was a very short-lived comic called Diesel back then (unrelated to another Diesel comic), as apparently it only had 1 issue.

The catch? It basically ripped off Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Star Crusaders. Yes just like Nick Simmons ripped off Bleach (and from what I heard One Piece), this one had these gems.

That looked DIO, and the second one is pretty much the N'Doul fight.

I just can't stop laughing holy shit. Especially Azizi and Joseph.

Not sure if these are fine to post, but the comic is pretty much dead as only one issue is posted, and I feel like this should be shared.

You can see more in this archived /co/ thread.
Secret Character
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:13 PM)
Secret Character's Avatar
OH MY GOD!!!

I need to track this down. This is incredible.
UnemployedVillain
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:15 PM)
UnemployedVillain's Avatar
Wait, is that a shop or did they really also use the name Stands too?!
joe2187
owns a house that doesn't even have piss-covered floors.
(02-25-2016, 05:15 PM)
joe2187's Avatar
I couldnt tell what was happening in the last three panels, the blonde dude yells enemy stand after his head gets decapitated and then rockets off into the air.

(this actually sort of happens in JoJo anyway though)
Boss Doggie
Banned
(02-25-2016, 05:16 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by UnemployedVillain

Wait, is that a shop or did they really also use the name Stands too?!

Nope, it's what in the print says.



Originally Posted by joe2187

I couldnt tell what was happening in the last three panels, the blonde dude yells enemy stand after his head gets decapitated and then rockets off into the air.

(this actually sort of happens in JoJo anyway though)

Blood became sentient, attacks guy, decapitates him, another guy says ENEMY STAND, and the decap guy's head is flying off.
Nairume
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:22 PM)
Nairume's Avatar

Originally Posted by Secret Character

OH MY GOD!!!

I need to track this down. This is incredible.

Alas, there was only ever the one issue. We will never know if Not-DIO managed to transcend his apparent boringness and become fabulous.

But that dog totally dies, so Diesel is truly a JoJo.
chaobreaker
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:25 PM)
chaobreaker's Avatar
The amazing thing is that you can tell that the dude just watched the one Jojo Part 3 OVA that began with the N'doul (blind hydrokinetic stand guy) fight.

Googling his name show's he still works in comic books albeit in a very limited scale
spindashing
Ku Klux Kawaii
(02-25-2016, 05:27 PM)
spindashing's Avatar
I saw this on Twitter yesterday. Funny stuff, right down to the enemy Stand meme!
Boss Doggie
Banned
(02-25-2016, 05:29 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nairume

Alas, there was only ever the one issue. We will never know if Not-DIO managed to transcend his apparent boringness and become fabulous.

But that dog totally dies, so Diesel is truly a JoJo.

Iggy dies too early that he never faced the white rapper.
chaobreaker
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:34 PM)
chaobreaker's Avatar
It's pretty funny how that dog is a spitting image of Danny from Part 1 but the author probably never read that part.

Nairume
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:34 PM)
Nairume's Avatar

Originally Posted by chaobreaker

The amazing thing is that you can tell that the dude just watched the one Jojo Part 3 OVA that began with the N'doul (blind hydrokinetic stand guy) fight.

Googling his name show's he still works in comic books albeit in a very limited scale

It's almost forgivable since the OVAs weren't out in the US and there was no way for him to tell that JoJo would have gotten out of Japan, but then he does the amazingly brazen thing of denying any similarities to existing works in the legal section.
Last edited by Nairume; 02-25-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Secret Character
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:38 PM)
Secret Character's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nairume

It's almost forgivable since the OVAs weren't out in the US and there was no way for him to tell that JoJo would have gotten out of Japan, but then he does the amazingly brazen thing of denying any similarities to existing works in the legal section.

I was watching bootleg fansubs of the OVA way back when. It isn't inconceivable that he managed to see them too.
Boss Doggie
Banned
(02-25-2016, 05:38 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by chaobreaker

It's pretty funny how that dog is a spitting image of Danny from Part 1 but the author probably never read that part.

Which is a really huge coincidence or he's probably letting on more than what we think.
Guess Who
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:40 PM)
Guess Who's Avatar
THIS MUST BE THE WORK OF AN ENEMY STAND
NeonBlack
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:45 PM)
NeonBlack's Avatar
Wow, he could at least change the name from stand.
Boss Doggie
Banned
(02-25-2016, 05:47 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
This site has a hilarious description of it

Antarctic Press strikes again with yet another anime–type, creator–owned title. Written, illustrated, and colored by Joe Weltjens, Diesel follows the imprint’s manga style, high–flying, no–holds barred action—an attitude that over the years has generated quite the loyal following.

Reminiscent of the Highlander films and television series, Diesel follows an enigmatic group of powerful characters known as “stand users.” Each has the ability to control a temporal projection unique to that individual—one that is used to battle other stand users to the death. A group of kindhearted users band together to seek out and destroy the mysterious aggressor that murdered their mentor. As the story progresses, it becomes obvious that only the most powerful of the group, Tom Diesel, has the fortitude necessary to reach the source of this evil and uncover its diabolical plan.

Kthulhu
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:48 PM)
Kthulhu's Avatar
I'm so glad this is a thing.
Nairume
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:49 PM)
Nairume's Avatar

Originally Posted by Secret Character

I was watching bootleg fansubs of the OVA way back when. It isn't inconceivable that he managed to see them too.

I mean more in the sense of him probably thinking he could get away with it (though going as far as to reuse the name Stands was way too far) since it probably wouldn't have been as known, at least by the people actually managing to read his comic.

Originally Posted by Boss Doggie

This site has a hilarious description of it

lol, they fuckin' knew
sixteen-bit
Member
(02-25-2016, 05:54 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar
That art tho
Boss Doggie
Banned
(02-25-2016, 07:36 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

dat mecha tho
BreezyLimbo
Member
(02-25-2016, 07:38 PM)
BreezyLimbo's Avatar
Holy crap. I wonder what would've happened if this was popular enough to continue. There would be Jojo and Bizarro Jojo.
Nairume
Member
(02-25-2016, 09:53 PM)
Nairume's Avatar

Originally Posted by Boss Doggie

dat mecha tho

The best part is that Aziz subtly retained the basics of Avdol's hairstyle.
Sou Da
Member
(02-25-2016, 09:59 PM)
Sou Da's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

Holy crap. I wonder what would've happened if this was popular enough to continue. There would be Jojo and Bizarro Jojo.

Oh god I want this back so bad now.
Sibersk Esto
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:01 PM)
Sibersk Esto's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

Holy crap. I wonder what would've happened if this was popular enough to continue. There would be Jojo and Bizarro Jojo.

If this became popular in any way it would have been discovered in a year or two tops.
ShadowSwordmaster
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:01 PM)
ShadowSwordmaster's Avatar
This is pretty amazing to find out.
Reversed
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:02 PM)
Reversed's Avatar
As if Saban made Jojo.
Frozenprince
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:03 PM)
Frozenprince's Avatar
Whoever has the rights to this needs to bring it back, NOW.
Sou Da
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:08 PM)
Sou Da's Avatar
Holy fuck there's an Evangelion stand.
Dennis
Banned
(02-25-2016, 10:09 PM)
Dennis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sou Da

Holy fuck there's an Evangelion stand.

lol he ripped off everything
Madao
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:09 PM)
Madao's Avatar
what a shameless ripoff.

still so funny to see that something like this exists.
Frimaire
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:09 PM)
Frimaire's Avatar
Haha, oh my god, they even call them stands and everything.
Couldn't they at least have come up with a different name?
Sou Da
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:14 PM)
Sou Da's Avatar

Originally Posted by Frimaire

Haha, oh my god, they even call them stands and everything.
Couldn't they at least have come up with a different name?

I just finished it. The end of the fight is literally the same as the one with the water stand guy N'Doul.
TwEE-N-Toast
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:14 PM)
TwEE-N-Toast's Avatar
Never read Jojo. No comparison shots?
ShadowSwordmaster
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:15 PM)
ShadowSwordmaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sou Da

I just finished it. The end of the fight is literally the same as the one with the water stand guy N'Doul.

This guy went for it.
Dennis
Banned
(02-25-2016, 10:16 PM)
Dennis's Avatar
Bizarro JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
MetroidPrimeRib
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:31 PM)
MetroidPrimeRib's Avatar
Reminds me of when Gene Simmons' son plagiarized Bleach and Hellsing
spindashing
Ku Klux Kawaii
(02-25-2016, 10:32 PM)
spindashing's Avatar
American Star Platinum is the most hilarious thing, though.
ShadowSwordmaster
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:33 PM)
ShadowSwordmaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

Reminds me of when Gene Simmons' son plagiarized Bleach and Hellsing

When did this happen?
SoulUnison
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:33 PM)
SoulUnison's Avatar
Oh god they were even called "Stands?"
A main character is "Joe?"

How could someone expect to get away with this?
MetroidPrimeRib
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:35 PM)
MetroidPrimeRib's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShadowSwordmaster

When did this happen?

2009 or so. Comic was called Incarnate. A quick Google image search of "Nick Simmons Incarnate" will get you all the comparisons. It's very blatant.
NinjaCoachZ
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:35 PM)
NinjaCoachZ's Avatar
magician's red is a robot

what the FUCK i'm laughing so hard i can't believe this

also holy shit, the blind guy literally is n'doul this is so blatant

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

2009 or so. Comic was called Incarnate. A quick Google image search of "Nick Simmons Incarnate" will get you all the comparisons. It's very blatant.

The absolute funniest thing about that was that Tite Kubo himself found out, and his statement was just, "The most shocking thing about this to me is that Gene Simmons's son is a manga artist."
spindashing
Ku Klux Kawaii
(02-25-2016, 10:36 PM)
spindashing's Avatar

The protag even has his hands in his pockets in a delinquent fashion just like Jotaro.
ShadowSwordmaster
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:37 PM)
ShadowSwordmaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

2009 or so. Comic was called Incarnate. A quick Google image search of "Nick Simmons Incarnate" will get you all the comparisons. It's very blatant.

I just looked it up and you were right about it being very blatant.
MetroidPrimeRib
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:42 PM)
MetroidPrimeRib's Avatar

Originally Posted by NinjaCoachZ


The absolute funniest thing about that was that Tite Kubo himself found out, and his statement was just, "The most shocking thing about this to me is that Gene Simmons's son is a manga artist."

I find it hilarious that Simmons didn't think anyone would figure out he had copied Bleach, a massively popular series. DeviantArt plagiarism might slip by but BLEACH?
UltraGunner
Banned
(02-25-2016, 10:45 PM)
Wow, he somehow made the art in part 1 good by comparison.
SomeRandomWeirdGuy
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:49 PM)
SomeRandomWeirdGuy's Avatar
I can't help but imagine a world where this took off and went super mainstream, like X-Men. I wouldve grown up pretending to have a stand and shit

This is hilarious, I honestly wish it had more issues
Sibersk Esto
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:50 PM)
Sibersk Esto's Avatar

Originally Posted by UltraGunner

Wow, he somehow made the art in part 1 good by comparison.

Everyone gives part 1's art shit but I love the old school style. This looks like just another faux liefeld style.
Ginger Hail
Member
(02-25-2016, 10:59 PM)
Ginger Hail's Avatar
KenzinFive
Member
(02-25-2016, 11:12 PM)
KenzinFive's Avatar
I thought this was going to be that one panel from a Hulk comic where the artist literally just drew in The World (ZA WARUDO) for a one-off character. But holy hell, they're even calling them stands here.

On the bright side, it really puts into perspective how goddamn stylish JJBA and Araki are when you take the same concept and put it over a bland American comic. One of the best things in recent years has been the resurrection and new found popularity of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in Japan and in the West. I love how much a throwback the series is and how completely insane it can get.
Sou Da
Member
(02-25-2016, 11:24 PM)
Sou Da's Avatar

Originally Posted by spindashing

American Star Platinum is the most hilarious thing, though.

You mean Meta Hammer : ^) (Yes he gave them names)

Originally Posted by ShadowSwordmaster

This guy went for it.

Originally Posted by TwEE-N-Toast

Never read Jojo. No comparison shots?

Can't find the Jojo page


Thread Tools