• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs more games like Devil's Third (Which isn't that bad)

Jawmuncher

imagelxkx8.jpeg

I know I'm going to get a lot of snark with this title but oh well. Having recently just beat the game I have to say it wasn't as bad as I was lead to believe. Sure it isn't the most polished game out there but the groundwork is set, and the gameplay is a lot of fun. The combination of sword and gunplay offers a lot of variety for the 7-8 hour campaign. While the story was pretty nonsensical it still had its moments and Ivan turned out to be a pretty cool character. Had this released as say something closer to when the 360 & PS3 launch I don't think it would have been received quite as harshly. Though I understand the criticism. It's 2016 so a game that's basically from another era as a new title isn't going to appeal to many people. Especially those who can't look past the rough parts. Would have been interesting if this game would have had more of abudget and wasn't something saved from the brink of death. Really makes me wonder what was going on with the game during it THQ days.

But referring to my title, I really do feel like this is the kind of stuff Nintendo needs more of. Much like bayonetta it caters to not a common demographic for the system. Which while it is a gamble, can also pay off. Nintendo has slowly been keeping at diversifying its exclusives I have noticed though. So hopefully for NX they stick with doing Games that cater to other interests. Since to me that has always been what I felt Nintendos biggest lack was. We need more stuff like Devils Third, Bayonetta, and Fatal Frame going forward. While it sounds like this might just be referring to M rated games, I'm referring more to just not common Themes and Genres for them. Not saying they need to drop Mario or anything. Just that sprinkling titles such as these goes a long way I feel. Hell stuff like ZombiU, Bayonetta, and Xenoblade Chronicles X were tipping points in me getting the system rather than the usual fare people would go for on a Nintendo console.

Also yes I know this isn't exactly a new thing for Nintendo. While I don't recall their NES and SNES presence. Rare supplied a lot of what Nintendo wasn't doing for N64, and on the GameCube they had Eternal Darkness & the Resident Evil exclusivity deal off the top of my head. With the Wii being what I recall their first foray into other unique jRPGs that all added a lot of nice variety to the system (wish we would have gotten disaster day of crisis though).

So more or less I hope Nintendo can keep adding diversity to its game portfolio to cater to an audience that isn't common for their system. That will hopefully pay off at some point for them. Since I know I greatly appreciate when they do.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Nintendo would have more games like these if there were more devs making them, pretty much. Platinum, Treasure, Itagaki--Ninty's clearly ready to throw money at Japanese action devs with pedigree, the talent pool just doesn't exist anymore.

I'd say I will be happy to see more Nintendo-published third-party games in general. Also, Devil's Third isn't bad, it just plays like a mediocre PS2 title.

I've noticed Nintendo is going full-on Netflix with this strategy. Netflix gets strong original series and sequels to shows that were not necessarily successful, but had a cult following, forcing those fans to subscribe. Nintendo is doing the same thing (and should continue to do so) with obviously strong first-party content and exclusive obscure sequels/niche new IP from developers/series with cult followings, forcing those fans to buy their consoles/handhelds.
It's just a shame this strategy is not as successful for Nintendo as it is for Netflix.

No it should have no games because this one looks bad, more like Devil's Turd am I right

Campaign was fun for what it was and the multiplayer was awesome. I'd play it more if I wasn't drowning in games. Truly unfortunate it didn't come out in the drought of August like the rest of the world and was sent out to die at Christmas time. Thanks Nintendo

Jawmuncher

Ōkami;197087722 said:
Pretty sure they burned bridges with him, given how they handeled the release of the game.

Well that was mainly just NoA. The other territories seemed to have the game launch just fine.

No it should have no games because this one looks bad, more like Devil's Turd am I right

Campaign was fun for what it was and the multiplayer was awesome. I'd play it more if I wasn't drowning in games. Truly unfortunate it didn't come out in the drought of August like the rest of the world and was sent out to die at Christmas time. Thanks Nintendo

Yep would have been perfect summer material in the US and had they maybe released it at $40 bucks or something. I think more people would have tried it out.

Maybe give them more time/money or what ever it was to get it more polished up next time. It's a fun game that's a mess, but is also brimming with potential. These kinds of action games are remembered and played forever if they are actually well tuned on a gameplay and technical level. Don't just get it functional on the system then kick it out the door and practically disown it at launch.

Agreed about it being better than people think though. Action games get much, much worse. Like NG3:RE or Yaiba, for example.

edit: it would not be received more nicely at 360/PS3 launch. That would make it the follow up to Ninja Gaiden Black. It already got a ton of "I can't believe this guy made ninja gaiden black" 10 years after that game's release. Can't imagine the shit storm if Devil's Third came out exactly as it is in 2006 or something lol

Ōkami

Well that was mainly just NoA. The other territories seemed to have the game launch just fine.
They sold the game as an amazon exclusive in Japan and gave it no promotion.

Devil's third online on pc also felt a "do whatever you want, we don't care anymore" from Nintendo.

Jawmuncher

Ehhh.... Being an Amazon exclusive in Japan isn't exactly what I'd call "just fine" and NoE didn't do full translation like they normally do

Ōkami;197087959 said:
They sold the game as an amazon exclusive in Japan and gave it no promotion.

Devil's third online on pc also felt a "do whatever you want, we don't care" from Nintendo.

Oh forgot about the amazon exclusive and didn't know about Europe. Hopefully he'd be willing to continue working with them so long as they both get what they want for another title of any sort.

Just played some Devil's Third an hour ago.

I would like to see some more teen adventures like Metroid and Zelda (yeah Skyward Sword was E10+ but it still dealt with actually death).

Something that's still all ages friendly but has enemies that you can't be friendly with.

I'll like to actually have to take out the villain and he/she be an evil force that has to go away and come back.

I would also like a multiplayer FPS from them with traditional deathmatch as an option. Add as many gimmicks, customization and weirdness as you want. I just want something different to Splatoon that focuses more on combat. I think Nintendo would make something pretty different from anything out there now.

As for Devil's Third I'm also enjoying it a lot. It has a lot of weirdness to it that reminds me of a lot of Japanese takes on more Western genres and there's a lot of content.

It's not horribly bad like the reviews said but it's also not good.

Entertains me though.

Crema

"It isn't that bad"... Could be a box quote.

I think they'd prefer to go with "it wouldn't have been judged so harshly if it was a launch title from last gen"

On topic: Nintendo should use its very limited resources on games the market actually wants to play.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Maybe give them more time/money or what ever it was to get it more polished up next time.l

Under normal circumstances they probably would have delayed the game but they're in a situation where the Wii U is being phased out sooner than expected, so they simply don't have the luxury of pushing games back for extended periods of time because there's only a short window where the game might actually be viable. Couple that with the fact that they don't own the IP and it got a tepid reception the few times they showed it, they figured it simply wasn't worth the effort to "fix".

Maybe Itagaki misled them about the state of the game, maybe Nintendo just overestimated their own ability to get it up to scratch, maybe Unreal/Epic's indifference held them back, who knows. Nintendo's not infallible, sometimes you just gotta accept they backed a dud

casiopao

The multiplayer section is really nice though. It is just sad that it is not really polished all around. If it is polished more. The multiplayer part can much better.

Under normal circumstances they probably would have delayed the game but they're in a situation where the Wii U is being phased out sooner than expected, so they simply don't have the luxury of pushing games back for extended periods of time because there's only a short window where the game might actually be viable. Couple that with the fact that they don't own the IP and it got a tepid reception the few times they showed it, they figured it simply wasn't worth the effort to "fix".

Maybe Itagaki misled them about the state of the game, maybe Nintendo just overestimated their own ability to get it up to scratch, maybe Unreal/Epic's indifference held them back, who knows. Nintendo's not infallible, sometimes you just gotta accept they backed a dud

yeah, if I could get a full, no bullshit post-mortem on any game, it'd probably be this. Itagaki probably won't be candid about it unless he gets another hit and some breathing room that absolves him from this mess lol

even then, nda and all that.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Ōkami;197087722 said:
Pretty sure they burned bridges with him, given how they handeled the release of the game.

I doubt any big publishers are gonna come knocking on itagakis door any time soon. I could see him going to kickstarter hat in hand or trying to do something else with Nintendo.

Devils Third, while I enjoyed it, completely flopped. Before that he hadn't shipped a game since 2008.

if this game hadn't been a critical (more important) and commercial disaster, I'm pretty sure there would have been more games in the pipeline from Valhalla. Hell, if they had even gotten the game they have out now without the significant delays its occurred they still might have kept working with them.

After all, Nintendo kept inserting dollars into Platinum (3rd game in development) despite them still not having anything even resembling a hit to show for it. They paid for two games from Mistwalker after the first one tanked. They funded multiple (JPN exclusive) titles from Sandlot even though they never produced a hit. Same with Monster Games, never a big hit, but apparently they feel good enough about them to keep inviting them to the party.

I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't value success, but I think they place a higher importance on quality/meeting deadlines then they care about the resultant product being financially successful or not.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Itagaki's company has no choice but to make mobile games after Devil's Third nearly bankrupt them. That opportunity is long gone.

That's a beat-up based on something he posted on Facebook--they're still pursuing traditional high-end development; whether anyone offers to back them is another story.

They're working with Nexon on Devil's Third Online right now, even.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You could've just left it at "Nintendo needs more games" or "Nintendo needs a more diversified portfolio" without having to acknowledge Devil's Third.

casiopao

I think it's fair to point out that most publishers put a hell of lot more money into their games than Nintendo does.

Putting tonsss of money for one single products does not sound better than Nintendo which with reasonable budget pump out huge amount of title here.

Lingitiz

I think it's fair to point out that most publishers put a hell of lot more money into their games than Nintendo does.

True but Nintendo's development model is probably healthier overall than the current console space divide between high AAA and indie.

Now that I think about it, is there any other AAA Japanese publisher that has actually retained talent to the extent that Nintendo has? I can't really recall too many big names voluntarily leaving Nintendo aside from Sakurai.

Instro

Putting tonsss of money for one single products does not sound better than Nintendo which with reasonable budget pump out huge amount of title here.

Possibly, but they appear to have gone so far in the opposite direction that it has adversely impacted the quality of their products.

Lingitiz

Possibly, but they appear to have gone so far in the opposite direction that it has adversely impacted the quality of their products.

If you're talking about Triforce Heroes and Amiibo Festival or things like that it just seems symptomatic of inhouse development mostly switching over to NX and not a big philosophical or budget change at the company.

Last year even in months where those arguably bad games hit, they published Yoshi in October, Yokai Watch in November, and Xenoblade X in December.

duckroll

What happened to the F2P PC MP version of Devil's Third? Wasn't it supposed to be out last year? It seems to have vanished...

They dont need bad games. Instead of shoving money to save such a disaster, I wished they made a new Disaster instead :p
Well, on a more serious note, I hope for more games like The Last Story or Pandora's Tower than Devil's Third.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I watched the best friends play the game and Liam himself said he tested a very early version of it, and it's a bad game, but it has its charms and things work and is a bit fun

danmaku

I've noticed Nintendo is going full-on Netflix with this strategy. Netflix gets strong original series and sequels to shows that were not necessarily successful, but had a cult following, forcing those fans to subscribe. Nintendo is doing the same thing (and should continue to do so) with obviously strong first-party content and exclusive obscure sequels/niche new IP from developers/series with cult followings, forcing those fans to buy their consoles/handhelds.
It's just a shame this strategy is not as successful for Nintendo as it is for Netflix.

Probably because a Netflix subscription is much cheaper than a gaming console.

Top Bottom