• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motion controls can't be entirely disabled in Star Fox Zero.

Oddduck

Back at E3, Nintendo UK said motion controls could be turned off.

I can confirm that gyro controls can indeed be switched on or off in Star Fox Zero.

But according to Jose Otero at IGN, motion controls can't be turned off.

Hi guys, so Nintendo of America corrected an error in our Star Fox Zero preview that went up today.

Here's their statement: "Motion controls cannot be entirely disabled in Star Fox Zero, although players will have some options to choose how they are implemented. The game was designed to be played with motion controls, and it would be incredibly difficult to complete certain areas of the game without the independent aiming and flight that they offer."

Michael Futter, news editor at Game Informer, is saying the same thing.

Sorry, Star Fox fans. You won’t be able to turn off the motion controls. I asked specifically.

I liked the use of gyro in Splatoon, so I'm hoping this won't be too bad. The option to disable it entirely would have been nice though.

impact

Banned
A year ago this would have got me pretty upset, but I've lost all interest in the game with the delays and dull gameplay footage so oh well. Fuck up Star Fox all you want Ninty, at least give the game a reason to sell extremely poor at this point.

No issues here. The controls look pretty enjoyable from what I've seen and heard.
The issue is the learning curve. A lot of people won't bother trying to get used to it which likely won't lead to good reviews.
I'm pretty good at adapting to new control schemes so I hope I can enjoy it, looks really good

mrmickfran

I wouldn't have minded a Sin & Punishment like control scheme with a Wiimote & Nunchuck.

But the game heavily relies on two screens :/

Kouichi

The issue is the learning curve. A lot of people won't bother trying to get used to it which likely won't lead to good reviews.
I'm pretty good at adapting to new control schemes so I hope I can enjoy it, looks really good

Yeah I expect reviews similar to Kid Icarus when it comes to the controls. Some will adapt to it and some will not.

Personally, I think mastering the controls is part of the appeal. I bet getting medals and doing score runs is going to be a ton of fun because of that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I enjoyed Splatoon's. I should have no issue here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah I expect reviews similar to Kid Icarus when it comes to the controls. Some will adapt to it and some will not.

Personally, I think mastering the controls is part of the appeal. I bet getting medals and doing score runs is going to be a ton of fun because of that.

That's the appeal for me since arcades are the same deal.

Regiruler

Wasn't Splatoon optional?

It was.

It's possible they found the analog aiming to be too frustrating for SF0? Nintendo has been decent about allowing people to disable motion/gyro with Wii U titles, so I would assume there is a reason.
I understand since it's the controls the game are designed around, but even so they should allow twin stick use.

Generally my thought. Its not like twin-stick shooters are a new concept (granted, they're typically not in a 3D environment).

hughesta

Banned
I have no doubt the motion controls will be good. Sucks for people unwilling/unable to adapt to them, and I wish options were available for those people, but this isn't a dealbreaker or anything.

mrmickfran

I feel like we're going to have another Kid Icarus Uprising on our hands.

People who take the time to understand it's complex control scheme will end up loving it.

Everyone else will thrash it in the reviews.

MutFox

Banned
It's fine, better have really good controls though.
I'm ready for something new and fresh in a world of games that try and be too similar.

Though if the controls suck, they're gonna hear it.
(They'll hear it either way)

Good?

The game is going to sink or swim based on the quality of its primary control scheme. If it sucks, it sucks.

I agree with this.

With the way the game looks graphically(decent but nothing spectacular), it HAS to have a hook or it's going to end up a dumbed down lesser version of 64.

It's a gamble but if they designed it this way, you should probably have to get used to the scheme.

I like gyro a lot so I don't mind it one bit.

I like gyro controls, so I'm personally ok with this.

No issues here. The controls look pretty enjoyable from what I've seen and heard.

The use in Splatoon is great, this probably will be no different

I enjoyed Splatoon's. I should have no issue here.

I have no doubt the motion controls will be good. Sucks for people unwilling/unable to adapt to them, and I wish options were available for those people, but this isn't a dealbreaker or anything.

I'm fine with this since it looks game pad only.

c4jt321.png

Banned
And people snapped at me when I said you couldn't. If motion controls could be completely disabled they wouldn't have delayed this game and gone into panic mode getting the gamepad controls right if ShockingAlberto is to be believed.

Instro

Given what I've seen in video, controlling with the gyro seemed like a mess. Wii IR would have been great.

Iced

Why is this the fucking default response for everything negative?

I play Splatoon with no gyro control. I play Wind Waker HD using the Pro Controller. People like options.

Because he stated he prefers twin sticks. How would you know your preference otherwise?

Good.

Single-stick (like classic Star Fox) does what it does, and well. Twin sticks are poison. Motion aiming is a full replacement for twin sticks, but you can't design encounters for it the same way you do for a single stick (recall the changes in Metroid Prime, where 1+2 were built around a lock-on and 3 was built without).

Agree 100%, gyro controls work decently well but IR blows them away in all respects. Plus using the Wiimote & Nunchuk is far more comfortable than the bulky gamepad.

Admittedly, I think I would have liked it if Nintendo had committed to a second full generation developing around the Wii Remote Plus as a standard, especially because we barely saw it exploited to its potential. It would have constrained them with respect to certain genres where the second stick is indispensable for free camera control (Zelda and Xenoblade both come to mind), but rail shooters aren't one of them.

If Nintendo dumps the second screen for the next generation, I could see games like Splatoon persisting through something like a lightweight Pro Controller with a built-in gyro. That would be conservative for Nintendo, but perfect for players whose main concern with the Wii U GamePad is the bulk and the difficulty of tracking both screens. But I think they have enough people hooked on motion aiming by now, myself included, that going back to twin sticks alone without gyro (like a certain crowd keeps demanding) is outside of the realm of possibility. And thank heavens it is.

Top Bottom