• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JK Rowling under fire for appropriating Native American mythology on Pottermore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

JK Rowling has been accused of appropriating the “living tradition of a marginalised people” by writing about the Navajo legend of the skinwalker in a new story.

The Harry Potter author posted the first part of a four-part series, the History of Magic in North America on her website Pottermore, on Tuesday. Subsequent episodes are being published each day at 2pm until Friday. Tying in to the release in November of the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the short piece of writing deals with the magical New World in the 14th to 17th centuries.

Although the new insights into the universe of Harry Potter were welcomed by many, the author was strongly criticised online by a number of voices from Native American communities, particularly over her writing about skinwalkers, which in Navajo legend are said to be evil witches or wizards who can take on the form of animals.

Rowling writes that the myth “has its basis in fact … A legend grew up around the Native American Animagi, that they had sacrificed close family members to gain their powers of transformation. In fact, the majority of Animagi assumed animal forms to escape persecution or to hunt for the tribe. Such derogatory rumours often originated with No-Maj medicine men, who were sometimes faking magical powers themselves, and fearful of exposure.”

Responding to a question on Twitter, Rowling said that “in my wizarding world, there were no skinwalkers”, with the legend created by those without magic “to demonise wizards”.

But campaigner Dr Adrienne Keene told Rowling on Twitter that “it’s not ‘your’ world. It’s our (real) Native world. And skinwalker stories have context, roots, and reality … You can’t just claim and take a living tradition of a marginalised people. That’s straight up colonialism/appropriation.”

http://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-history-of-magic-in-north-america-pottermore

Appropriate this thread if old.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Pretty much every myth has been mined repeatedly, including that one. But I guess they saw a rich AF target and saw dollar signs.

Some good posts from the Ilvermorny thread that show there is some merit to these complaints.

It was always going to be a tricky issue, given that Native Americans usually get the short end of the stick. I personally think that it's okay to use myths as a basis for fictional stories, even change major details, in order fit the world the author wishes to create. It's a crucial part of allowing the artist freedom to be as creative as they wish to.

Rowling sort of did that with King Arthur, and with other historical events in her fiction, and she's trying to do the same here.

I do get why they'd be upset, but I doubt Rowling is attempting to reinforce stereotypes or misinform people in this case.

That's deflecting the actual issue here. JK Rowling is not Stephine Meyer, and just because Native Americans take issue with how their culture is being used in one story doesn't mean they can never take issue with another.

The colonialism/appropriation criticism is not without merit, given how Native Americans had been viewed (and used) in stories and fiction. Again, I don't think Rowling ever had ill intent, but it is important to listen to what NA say about it.

I think the example DrForester mentioned shows what makes appropriation different from a respectful reference. Also, part of the problem is that Native Americans had it so bad for so long with none-Native American creatives either misrepresenting their culture and giving them stereotypes that the colonists had viewed what Native Americans were like, rather than what they actually were. They have always been trying to get rid off such misconceptions because it has no actual basis in their histories and myths. As such, when another author tries to put on their spin on it, there is the feeling that it just another time where they had been used by people who might not actually have that much knowledge or appreciation towards Native American history, and just want to add some different "flavour" to their work.

I think Rowling incorporated in part 1 Native American culture without any of the usual trappings you'd find elsewhere, and I think it is fine as it is. But I do get why they'd be a upset about the skinwalkers being a perceived case of "stupid Native American No-Maj jealous of talented Native American wizard".

Keene's argument (the primary one being sourced by a lot of places) is that to the uninformed, Rowling's interpretation and/or integration of (an admittedly small part of) Native American folklore could lead people to diminish such as simply being an invention and/or part of her setting, and not something that actively matters to a very wide ranging culture that in various places is on the brink of extinction.

However, Keene... kind of falls into her own trap, though she admitted to it, and then tried to spin it in further support of her argument. Namely, that the bulk of references to British folklore (though Keene summarises it as 'celtic/druidic') which are also explained away as 'really' being to do with magic or the magical community, as it exists in the setting, kind of went over her head and so Keene imagined them as purely fantastical creations on Rowling's part, rather than something she had woven into the background lore of her series.

I'm curious, was there a similar degree of feedback in terms of 'cultural appropriation' for the other revealed schools? Like, I understand the initial confusion about where Uganda's school was something that got talked about, and the names got some mockery, but what about actual culture stuff?

I mean, you don't get to see the original books go "ok so between the catholics in ireland there were lots of wizards and so and so catholic traditions are actually wizardom" (I think the closest she gets is naming dumbledore's phoenix 'fawkes') but native americans do get their traditions explained away as wizardom.

It is not about painting wizards as part of their societies as something positive or negative, but about trivializing their history in favor of hp brand wizardom.

Walpurgis

Banned
Maybe she thought Aboriginal cultures and beliefs were like Egyptian/Greek mythology. I think she's British so I can understand if she doesn't know the history of the Americas but she should have an adviser for these kinds of things - especially since she has magic schools on every continent and is using local stories and culture. It is really unfortunate that she screwed this up because I really like to see Aboriginal stories, cultures and beliefs represented in media. I guess this will be the last we hear about them in the Potterverse.

Pilgrimzero

Is it the first time she's used an actual culture in the potter verse? I dont recall her ever actually mentioning a specific culture before.

Ahasverus

What the fuck? So we should start rioting about Hollywood using greek mythology too? Or anything with vampires and such? Hell, fucking Santa Claus? Fuck off internet, get a life.

Feep

Banned
Skinwalkers are heavily used in the Dresden Files, as well.

Cultural appropriation is bullshit. You do you, Rowling.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Relax and read the article. Your post is actually offensive.

The other legends that have been mentioned were actual religions and people are somehow fine with it. Get over yourself.

Walpurgis

Banned
The other legends that have been mentioned were actual religions and people are somehow fine with it. Get over yourself.

1. Are ancient Egyptian and Greek religions currently being practised?
2. Did Egyptians and Greeks suffer cultural genocide?

injurai

Banned
Is it the first time she's used an actual culture in the potter verse? I dont recall her ever actually mentioning a specific culture before.

Til the English aren't a culture. Pretty sure the entire setting of HP is taking liberties over the depictions of magic.

DrSlek

I knew this was coming.

I thought to myself "Unless you delve into Native American mythology, there won't be much difference between British Magic and North American magic. If she delves into Native American mythology, she'll get hounded by outraged idiots."

And here we are.

Ahasverus

Relax and read the article. Your post is actually offensive.
There are many, many things in the world worth an outrage. An artistic license by a fantasy writer is not. But of course, critizicing things worthy of discussion need time invested in critical reading, which is a too high hanging fruit for this kind of people.

Jintor

what's the lesson? can only native americans write about native-american derived mythology? if I'm not chinese or japanese does that mean I can never write about the monkey king?

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Of all the issues to fight there are people protesting this ? I am sure the core problem Native Americans face everyday will be exacerbated by this book. There are real problems Native Americans face but this book is not one of them.

What the fuck? So we should start rioting about Hollywood using greek mythology too? Or anything with vampires and such? Hell, fucking Santa Claus? Fuck off internet, get a life.

First nations are... real people bro still existing and practicing their traditions.

akira28

well...the greeks didn't get the native american treatment, and everyone looks at greek culture as the pinnacle of human development.

Indians are still trying to get away from the "noble savage" stereotype and debilitating poverty and crime and police violence. And some of them get touchy because the world loves Native culture so much, and yet still treats the Natives worse than dirt. So if you're going to use their very real and still living religion as the basis for your fiction, whereas white\Western culture mostly look at witches and magic as Holloween booboo fun and parlor tricks, this stuff is still in play and revered by a constantly marginalized people.

the difference is people still believe in these things and won't take kindly to anyone making light. treat it respectfully sure, but it sounds like Ms Rowling didn't get any consulting with a medicine man or indian holy man.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Is there a such thing as fantasy magic that doesn't liberally borrow from real myths, rituals, magickal texts, and so on? If anything it would be a huge oversight to do an American centric magic plot and not borrow liberally from various Native American sources...

You can bet she would have been blasted for that as well, had she taken that route.

Wereroku

Actually yes to number 2. The Roman's basically destroyed Egyptian culture after they took over and same with the Greeks.

I would imagine if JK Rowling wrote a story about North American magic and ignored the native Americans there would be just as many or even more upset people. It would have felt like a slight against them, like it was intentional.

Ri'Orius

what's the lesson? can only native americans write about native-american derived mythology? if I'm not chinese or japanese does that mean I can never write about the monkey king?

I believe the problem is that they don't view it as mythology. It's their religion.

It's like if there were a Potterverse book in which Jesus was a wizard who made up that whole "son of God" business. People don't like it when you call their religion fantasy.

Maybe she thought Aboriginal cultures and beliefs were like Egyptian/Greek mythology. I think she's British so I can understand if she doesn't know the history of the Americas but she should have an adviser for these kinds of things - especially since she has magic schools on every continent and is using local stories and culture. It is really unfortunate that she screwed this up because I really like to see Aboriginal stories, cultures and beliefs represented in media. I guess this will be the last we hear about them in the Potterverse.

Based on her initial response, it sounds like she did a significant amount of research on the topic. She then did what fiction writers do. She took the topic and twisted in ways that make it usable and somewhat unique within the context of the story.

That being said, I completely understand the defensive stance her opponents are taking. The cultures of the various native peoples have been fodder for Western storytellers for a very long time and almost always with little or no concern for accuracy or respect to subject matter, let alone recognition.

This is a sticky one. I for one would love to see content inspired my native traditions and beliefs in her work but it should probably be with the endorsement of that people . . . if she could somehow obtain that I guess.

RowdyReverb

Hasn't this stuff (like skinwalkers) been used dozens of times in other fictions?
That was the first thing I thought of. True Blood, Twilight, and even Masters of Horror come to mind. I guess this is the most high profile example I can think of though.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I would imagine if JK Rowling wrote a story about North American magic and ignored the native Americans there would be just as many or even more upset people. It would have felt like a slight against them, like it was intentional.

That's what I'm saying. She was in for it one way or the other. I can almost guarantee the same people getting irate about this would have been even MORE outraged (yeah that word works for this situation) had she avoided the whole thing. No matter what path she took people were going to express anger over this particular subject.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Hell yes. Ever heard of the Roman Empire or the Mid-Asian Chivalry?

Gotta ban St Patrick's fest too, because he's a real Saint being worshipped today. How about The Davinci code? Christian apropiation, what about paintings? Cartoons? Apropiation!

Matrix should have been banned for lifting wholesale from Buddhism. /s

This book is not going to change anything or influence the core problems that Native Americans face on a daily basis.

That was the first thing I thought of. True Blood, Twilight, and even Masters of Horror come to mind. I guess this is the most high profile example I can think of though.

Supernatural has used skinwalkers(Their own take on it though) and has incorporated some native american mythology into the show as well.

You're probably right. Real lose-lose situation here.

PSqueak

Banned

You can, but chinese and japanese people can also call you out for fucking up their folklore, which is what is happening here, they're going "what the fuck Rowling?! that's misrepresenting our folklore!"

While i personally don't agree it warrants this magnitude of a reaction, i understand where they're coming from.

One of the themes in her books has been using the muggle vs. wizard world struggle to explain a lot of the mythology that exists today. It's cute but a bit trite by now. It isn't surprising she would extend this to North America as well.

Wereroku

Based on her initial response, it sounds like she did a significant amount of research on the topic. She then did what fiction writers do. She took the topic and twisted in ways that make it usable and somewhat unique within the context of the story.

That being said, I completely understand the defensive stance her opponents are taking. The cultures of the various native peoples have been fodder for Western storytellers for a very long time and almost always with little or no concern for accuracy or respect to subject matter, let alone recognition.

This is a sticky one. I for one would love to see content inspired my native traditions and beliefs in her work but it should probably be with the endorsement of that people . . . if she could somehow obtain that I guess.

But she would never be able to get permission from every tribe thus some would always be offended which leads back into never being able to use it. Writers appropriate religion and culture continuously and she is stating it is fiction so while I understand the sensitivity I don't believe it is warranted.

yeah i think it'd be way worse if she ignored native americans in her potter-verse in north america.

allow it.

She also wrote as part of the story that white euro wizards in America sought refuge from oppression by the anti magic folk in Mative communities. Who took them and protected them.... shit is kinda fucked

yikes, never mind then...

She also wrote as part of the story that white euro wizards in America sought refuge from oppression by the anti magic folk in Native communities. Who took them and protected them.... shit is kinda fucked

It is an alternate history fantasy world where magic is real.

Other cultures get twisted and used for creative writing purposes all the time. Not a peep is heard about them.

Ri'Orius

You can, but chinese and japanese people can also call you out for fucking up their folklore, which is what is happening here, they're goign "what the fuck Rowling?! that's misrepresenting our folklore!"

While i personally don't agree it warrants this magnitude of a reaction, i understand where they're coming from.

Wait, what's the misrepresentation? Are skinwalkers not human/animal shapeshifters?

FStop7

Banned
All culture is appropriated. What matters is if it's treated with respect or turned into a mockery. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can tell the difference.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
1. It's fiction. 2. Do people think it would be better if she pretended Native Americans didn't exist? 3. It's Fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom