• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC 2 |OT| Let's all play touch butt

Pachimari

I should pick this up, and play it against my cousins offline. But none of us have ever played a UFC game, and doesn't follow the sport - I like all of these fighting styles in a cage though - so it'll probably be really hard for us to pick up in a few days right?

N° 2048

I should pick this up, and play it against my cousins offline. But none of us have ever played a UFC game, and doesn't follow the sport - I like all of these fighting styles in a cage though - so it'll probably be really hard for us to pick up in a few days right?

My buddy came over last night and he never played any of the UFC games for more than 30 min. Had tons of fun.

Keep it a kickboxing match until you both learn the ground and it'll be a blast.

and of course, Knockout Mode = best couch co op mode.

SkylineRKR

Done with this career, its even worse than the previous one. I liked the perks, training (fucking injuries and short camps) and distribution of points more in the original game. Also the logos and liveries etc. As corny as the fighter videos were, it was at least something. UFC 2 career has nothing, no congratulations or goodbye when you retire. Sometimes you'll get a pop up with 'you made a funny remark during an interview, here are some extra points'. Dumb stuff. Don't buy it if you want a meaty career, its dog shit.

I played it just to unlock Tyson, Rutten and the other guys. And this even worked on Beginner. I wanted to rush through it and get 30 fights (which i didn't get in the last game). When I was at 25 fights or so, I switched back to adaptive and still won main cards and a belt. Even though i'm only at 85 against those 100 guys (how do you get 100 anyway? A's on Hard training?). I didn't have codes and I didn't want to spend real cash on them, so its cool that they're relatively easy to get.

As for the game, i'm digging it. At first I thought it wasn't better than UFC 1 but it is. The ground game and striking has been improved. Now to dig into Ultimate Team...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Can I use multiple gamefaces for create a fighter? I want to create a couple of my friends for my Ultimate Team.

Also, is Pro difficulty required to unlock Tyson and the legends in career like the previous game?

I don't think pro is required, it defaults to "adaptive" which seems to mean that you'll stomp through all the lower level competition easily enough to be prepared to stomp through the higher level competition once the difficulty increases.

SkylineRKR

I don't think pro is required, it defaults to "adaptive" which seems to mean that you'll stomp through all the lower level competition easily enough to be prepared to stomp through the higher level competition once the difficulty increases.

Beginner works, don't waste time.

Adaptive is supposed to be harder at main cards and title fights (ie. the further you get). Which is true as I played against a BJJ guy during the main cards and he countered 95% of what I was throwing and he cancelled all my ground escape attempts. But the fight before ended like 20 seconds in the first round in my favor due to a well placed combination. The AI isn't bad.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Beginner works, don't waste time.

Adaptive is supposed to be harder at main cards and title fights. Which is true as I played against a BJJ guy during the main cards and he countered 95% of what I was throwing and he cancelled all my ground escape attempts. But the fight before ended like 20 seconds in the first round in my favor due to a well placed combination. The AI isn't bad.

I went 31-0 without any problems on adaptive, I ended almost every fight in the first round. I've always played UFC games just one setting down from the top difficulty though (which is generally where the AI starts ignoring the rules of the game and does things that are simply impossible for a human to do). You can get your main attribute up to max level before you've hit any actual UFC fighters in the progression and by then even if you are one dimensional you could take on most anybody* with one maxed out dimension.

*Most anybody does not apply to Ronda "The god damned Terminator" Rousey who becomes a weeble and never actually hits the ground regardless of the amount of purple on her face.

theWB27

I hate that these games keep forcing me to retire. I mean. ..let my skills depreciate until I can't beat a nobody. But stop forcing me to retire.

I created a 19 year old and had to retire at 28 despite keeping my belt. It's ok for the cpu to fight into their forties though. Maybe I wanna be couture.

I love the actual fighting. It's top notch.

theWB27

Still looking for an answer.

That depends on how you play. If you don't think you'll ever use a flying kick off the cage then it wouldn't make sense to spend points there.

I like to box and kick...so I never get extra throws or ground advances or submissions from different positions.

Maligna

Banned
That depends on how you play. If you don't think you'll ever use a flying kick off the cage then it wouldn't make sense to spend points there.

I like to box and kick...so I never get extra throws or ground advances or submissions from different positions.

But there don't seem to be any limits on points I can allocate when I create a fighter. (Not talking about Ultimate Team mode here, just regular create a fighter) So I was confused as to what would be the downside to maxing out everything.

theWB27

But there don't seem to be any limits on points I can allocate when I create a fighter. (Not talking about Ultimate Team mode here, just regular create a fighter) So I was confused as to what would be the downside to maxing out everything.

Oohh...the only reason I can think of is if you wanna fight up to the competition.

Me...I like wreck ish so mine went a 100 on everything.

gunstarhero

What's Ultimate team all about? This is my first UFC game, and I'm just digging into Career mode. The mode is ok - not loving it. Should I focus on Ultimate?

Love the fighting btw - still getting used to the ground game, but it's really fun.

N° 2048

What's Ultimate team all about? This is my first UFC game, and I'm just digging into Career mode. The mode is ok - not loving it. Should I focus on Ultimate?

Love the fighting btw - still getting used to the ground game, but it's really fun.

Try Ultimate Team Single Player first, it's the real Career mode in EA UFC 2.

Lucifon

Goddamn the amount of times you get KO'd from a shot on the ground which you're defending is frustrating. In slow mo you see you've clearly defended the shot with your hand, but nope.

N° 2048

Goddamn the amount of times you get KO'd from a shot on the ground which you're defending is frustrating. In slow mo you see you've clearly defended the shot with your hand, but nope.

The dev said after two blocked shots it's all downhill from there.

Two blocked shots = start taking arm damage
Two or more shots after that = start taking head damage

One or two shots after that , it's TKO/KO

SkylineRKR

Ultimate is pretty fun.

Its like FIFA, cards make you better. In UFC, this means moves, perks, stats etc. Gold cards are the best, you'll essentially get a level 5 move or perk from it. There are also cards for regain your fitness after a fight etc.

dreamfall

Yoooooooooooooo, I have not had the time to play at a consistent basis yet, but I'd love to get some matches in in the next few days!

Absolutely! I'll definitely be on, just hit me up and we can start a Rivalry!

It's a lot more fun playing and getting better with people that use other fighters than the elite, and working on transitions and learning the systems. Our bouts in the first game were something awesome!

Ooooooeeeee! Another night of insanely good fights. Kudos to your submission game, holy shit! Every fight was something so technical, so back and forth. I definitely lost most of them, but they were absolutely thrilling.

It's so dope to have someone to compete with that I actually feel like I'm learning how to defend, instead of getting blitzed or knocking someone out. DECISION VICTORIES. That's wild!

Easily the best matches i've had. Always great playing against you.

I still don't understand the clinch as far as which way to press when blocking transitions. You'd think it would be similar to the ground but I don't think it is. I messed around with it in the skill challenge but it doesn't say which way to press and with different positions(double under, over under, thai etc.) I think it changes which way you have to block depending on the position, which if that's the case, is more confusing. Been having some clinch knee/elbow spammers beating me because of this. Anyone here have a good grasp on it?

Yaari

I still don't understand the clinch as far as which way to press when blocking transitions. You'd think it would be similar to the ground but I don't think it is. I messed around with it in the skill challenge but it doesn't say which way to press and with different positions(double under, over under, thai etc.) I think it changes which way you have to block depending on the position, which if that's the case, is more confusing. Been having some clinch knee/elbow spammers beating me because of this. Anyone here have a good grasp on it?

If you struggle with transitions then practice mode is good. But I'm not too good at them either. It's difficult. You have to look at your opponents hand, that gives the tell about which side he is going for, that's the side you have to deny.

I personally just rather focus on blocking those thai knees. They are very easy to block. Block one and just break the clinch. Most people don't even deny you from breaking a clinch.

I need to go to practice mode and memorize the tells for the throws but I don't really want to, people seem to be all about the thai plum anyway.

this game is so fucking hard and confusing. it is getting really frustrating

It's definitely not an easy game. You need to put some time in to get better at it. Fortunately, as far as the groundgame goes, it's now made in a way that you shouldn't find yourself getting stuck, at all. If you prefer to strike, then you should be able to get back up on your feet.

Can't beat em, join em. Using Jones, Rockhold, McGregor for the next couple of fights.

Edit: How do you deny someone from breaking the clinch? Was wondering if I bought the physical version if it comes with a manual? That would help out a ton.

GravyButt

I just want to know why the ai doesn't lose stamina? Fn round 5 of a war and they still have a full bar while I can barely throw a jab.....anyway to fix this?! Totally ruining the game for me. Yea it makes it more difficult I guess but still beyond stupid.

Yaari

I just want to know why the ai doesn't lose stamina? Fn round 5 of a war and they still have a full bar while I can barely throw a jab.....anyway to fix this?! Totally ruining the game for me. Yea it makes it more difficult I guess but still beyond stupid.

Nope. A lot of people complained about the lack of permanent stamina loss, EA didn't do anything with it. Pretty stupid.

Can't beat em, join em. Using Jones, Rockhold, McGregor for the next couple of fights.

Edit: How do you deny someone from breaking the clinch? Was wondering if I bought the physical version if it comes with a manual? That would help out a ton.

Breaking of clinch is a up command, so you, too, need to deny up. So LT/R2 UP.
And no, no manual either way. :(

ron_bato

Absolutely! I'll definitely be on, just hit me up and we can start a Rivalry!

It's a lot more fun playing and getting better with people that use other fighters than the elite, and working on transitions and learning the systems. Our bouts in the first game were something awesome!

Fantastic! I've got a good grip of the striking game, as it wasn't too different from before, but am clueless when it comes to both ground and clinch work as I have not had the time to sink into it yet.

What time zone are you on by the way? :)

Also to everyone else, please feel free to add me on PSN: ron_bato - I'm from asia and I'll try to get on as much as I can the next few days since it's going to be a holiday

dreamfall

Fantastic! I've got a good grip of the striking game, as it wasn't too different from before, but am clueless when it comes to both ground and clinch work as I have not had the time to sink into it yet.

What time zone are you on by the way? :)

Also to everyone else, please feel free to add me on PSN: ron_bato - I'm from asia and I'll try to get on as much as I can the next few days since it's going to be a holiday

D.C. - Eastern Time! Whoever would like to play add me as well, PSN ID: arha2

shotgunshine and I have had some insane bouts - I'm definitely still learning, but always down for a game!

Afrikan

The game just asked me to take a survey before I got to the menu.

I usually don't do stuff like that, but for this game I had to.

The three issues I picked were.

"fights are not realistic enough"

"not as good as the first game"

"not satisfied by the variety of animations"

The game just asked me to take a survey before I got to the menu.

I usually don't do stuff like that, but for this game I had to.

The three issues I picked were.

"fights are not realistic enough"

"not as good as the first game"

"not satisfied by the variety of animations"

Not as good as the first game? Are you kidding me? This is way better than the first one.

In the beginning of career mode do you have to do the challenges to win the first fight? I skipped it and did the Ultimate fighter fight but no matter what I do I always lose.

Afrikan

Not as good as the first game? Are you kidding me? This is way better than the first one.

I'm talking about just gameplay... I've played the first one for God knows how many times.

I'll explain more later (I'm actually playing right now)... But I only play online matches... so as far as other features you are probebly right.

But the first game felt more balanced, imo.

We can fight sometime.

PSN Afrikan

Yaari

I'm talking about just gameplay... I've played the first one for God knows how many times.

I'll explain more later (I'm actually playing right now)... But I only play online matches... so as far as other features you are probebly right.

But the first game felt more balanced, imo.

We can fight sometime.

PSN Afrikan

I'm definitely interested in hearing about that too. The first one was so incredibly bland.

ron_bato

I won my first match online today, but it wasn't an optimal experience as the lag is killing me so far. -_-

But anyway, it was a fun match, Bruce Lee guys have not changed their style since the last game, all spinning shit lol, so I countered his spinning shit with a flying knee to lay him out.

giphy.gif

Yaari

This game could be so Thick Solid and Tight with some patches.

There have been some talks about a change relating to striking, in particular being vulnerability windows. They don't want to confirm anything until its guaranteed, but I like the sound of it.

That's what we'd ultimately like. Solid calls it "vulnerability windows" and went on and on (AND ON) about it during some of our discussions with devs, haha. I think we are approaching a semblance of tactical standup. Stay tuned for future patches (no promises though [​IMG] )

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/preList/10403047/35576326.page#35576326

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
The AI is extremely cheap on the ground. Seems that it can block your strikes, prevent your transition and do it's own transition simultaneously. Even if I have a great stamina advantage it always pulls off some impossible shit and gains the upper hand.

Getting the fight to the ground in the higher difficulties feels like suicide.

Top Bottom