• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Kotaku in danger of shutting down?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Denton has to pay out of his pocket. They can't even do things like impose pay cuts on their employees.

Klepek is probably joking. They're more than fine.

I doubt they are fine in the slightest. Kotaku is under the Gawker umbrella, anything extreme like this will affect them, no doubt about that. Thinking otherwise is sticking your head in the sand.

Velkyn

Never knew that Patrick got mixed in with their hate. Strange.

He's been a target of the hate train from the start. I attended his talk at PAX East almost 3 years ago on Internet harassment. People have been dicks to him for years because he's very outspoken about equality and inclusiveness in the games space.

He's the main reason I stopped trying to pursue any sort of professional games writing; after seeing how much harassment he got.

Considering the fact that they posted an article publicly outing a gay man.

I honestly have no sympathy for them, fuck them all and burn it down to the ground.

Gawker Media and all the websites they own are pretty much fucked.

Let's be honest the internet is not losing anything of importance here.

People are being real assholes about this whole thing, even some in this thread.

Yeah, let's celebrate the potential job loss of all these people, sure.

😒

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Gawker deserved to lose the case but I'd be very sad to see Kotaku go. They've been doing a lot of great things recently and have some great people writing for them.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Gawker deserves to get punished for the Hulk Hogan scandal, hopefully some Kotaku members start their own thing.

Seiru

Banned
For what it's worth, I think you can feel bad about employees being laid off, and at the same time agree with a company being punished like this. Not saying that's my opinion, but the two sentiments aren't mutually exclusive.

Visceir

Doubt kotaku will go anywhere, at most it'll change ownership...which might actually have a positive effect on the site.

nynt9

I honestly have no sympathy for them, fuck them all and burn it down to the ground.

A gay man who also conveniently happened to be the CFO of their biggest direct competitor, Conde Nast (Vox, Polygon etc)...

I'm not a big fan of Kotaku, but I hope they don't get shut down. They have some good journalists over there. Fuck Gawker though. That website is pure shit.

Lime

Damn shame. Scoops has been doin great work. Same for the Press Sneak Fuck.

Scoops and Press Sneak Fuck are probably the best two names I've heard in a sentence together and they even work at the same place.

I hope other kotaku employees have some cool job-related names like that as well

prag16

Banned
People are being real assholes about this whole thing, even some in this thread.

��

It seems common here for people to chiefly be concerned with potential job losses any time, well, basically anything happens. Even in cases where great injustices have been done (worse than this one), there are always some who are quick to immediately start hand wringing about job losses.

Of course nobody wants anybody to lose their jobs, in a vacuum. The people here "celebrating" aren't celebrating lost jobs. But you know that.

What gawker did was extremely fucked up, and they will pay. There will unfortunately be collateral damage. That sucks, but that's life. Again, nobody is celebrating lost jobs. And as people said, the profitable portions of the organization could be sold rather than just entirely eradicated. This doesn't guarantee the jobs, but it's definitely a possibility.

Calvero

Banned

god that article was the fucking worst. I have no idea how they possibly thought they should publish it. The guy that gave them everything was blackmailing the one they outed and they still published it with every screencap making it clear he was being blackmailed.

sensui-tomo

Gemüsepizza;198638192 said:
They do deserve privacy. But not 115 million USD.

Gawker did ruin his entire career though to put in retrospect . (doesnt excuse him from the things he said mind you) He'll never be able to go back to not wrestling on wwe (because he hasnt done much really iirc)

Add As mentioned elsewhere, I honestly expect kotaku to be sold, not just shut down... Mitt that that guarantees anyone a job afterwards...

giphy.gif

Cipherr

They will appeal, but that only buys time. They are going to lose that appeal. They were in the wrong, violated a judge's order and got uppity about doing so by TWEETING the shit. Whoever the hell is running that company lives on a different planet where no rules apparently applied to them; right up until it did.

It seems common here for people to chiefly be concerned with potential job losses any time, well, basically anything happens. Even in cases where great injustices have been done (worse than this one), there are always some who are quick to immediately start hand wringing about job losses.

Of course nobody wants anybody to lose their jobs, in a vacuum. The people here "celebrating" aren't celebrating lost jobs. But you know that.

What gawker did was extremely fucked up, and they will pay. There will unfortunately be collateral damage. That sucks, but that's life. Again, nobody is celebrating lost jobs. And as people said, the profitable portions of the organization could be sold rather than just entirely eradicated. This doesn't guarantee the jobs, but it's definitely a possibility.

Thank you. This hiding the situation at hand behind "But people will lose their jobs" is ridiculous. Go email Gawker and ask them why they weren't thinking about the potential families and jobs lost when they did this nonsense and put themselves in this situation. They willfully screwed themselves and the people under their employ and I'm the inconsiderate one? I don't think so.

Moze

Banned

😒

Couldn't that logic be used for any company being shut down regardless of how shit the company is? If some people feel Kotaku is a shitty site, why shouldn't they be happy it is shutting down?

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Kotaku is a worthwhile brand (despite what personal opinions may think) that will probably be sold on, should Gawker have to pay any damages.

entremet

Add As mentioned elsewhere, I honestly expect kotaku to be sold, not just shut down... Mitt that that guarantees anyone a job afterwards...
Who is buying video game blogs? Also getting bought doesn't guarantee the jobs of the employees.

Remember 1up?

I do hope everyone is unaffected, but the realities are not looking super great.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Gemüsepizza;198638192 said:
They do deserve privacy. But not 115 million USD.

Do you think that it had an effect on his merchandise being sold? The fact that the WWE completely wiped him from the archives? Everything else that happened to him in the interim?

I don't think he would have earned that much, but I can see how they awarded him that dollar amount.

Paparazzi companies can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned.

I'm still salty about the whole Diana thing.

How is this good news? what the people at Kotaku done to deserve this?
Kotaku has done nothing to deserve this other than being owned by a company that was ok with how they dealt with the Hulk sex tape. It sucks.

Hasney

They have done it before. Speculating as fact.

While if it was posted by certain people that post there I'd end up agreeing, I don't think Klepek or Jason (forget his second name, posts here) would attach their name to something patently false.

They're not going to make the $50million in clicks needed to appeal.

They were told by a judge to take down the video. They doubled down on it solely for traffic and hits.

They were told by a judge to take down a video and the accompanying post.

They took down the video but left the post up.

People who keep parroting 'they left the video up' simply don't know what they're talking about as we've known that to not be true since at least 2013.

Madness

Pretty much the end of Gawker media. The staff will regroup probably with other sites. It sucks because Kotaku had really improved as of late and I really liked Jalopnik and Deadspin.

Foffy

Banned

People who keep parroting 'they left the video up' simply don't know what they're talking about as we've known that to not be true since at least 2013.

They clearly left something up to get buried this way. Naturally, one would have assumed it was the video.

They left a link to the video hosted elsewhere on the original article.

Gawker is a terrible site but the people that are getting caught is the crossfire are also victims. Hopefully they can find a new job.

Top Bottom