• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Does it have cross saved-data between Xbox One versions?

For example: if I'm importing the physical JP version while currently playing the US version, can I use the same saved data and progress the remaining achievements?

Do not believe so as a general rule with different regions is that data is separate. Even more so when it comes to physical vs digital.

cuilan

I just couldn't wait for my copy to arrive, so I played through the trial.

Yeah, getting to the airplane boss was surprisingly hard, but everything was fine after grinding my party up to level 5 while constantly ambushing for better equipment. The trial being 8 hours was actually just enough time to get two whole parties up to level 5 (first one got wiped), grind for enough decent gear for all of them, and complete the first major mission!

And now the wait continues...

TheYanger

I just couldn't wait for my copy to arrive, so I played through the trial.

Yeah, getting to the airplane boss was surprisingly hard, but everything was fine after grinding my party up to level 5 while constantly ambushing for better equipment. The trial being 8 hours was actually just enough time to get two whole parties up to level 5 (first one got wiped), grind for enough decent gear for all of them, and complete the first major mission!

And now the wait continues...

Yeah I got pissed off earlier and needed to unwind so I just went digital and had to cancel my physical :( But man...worth it. Not sure how far I am in the game, I'm at the section after you've completely cleared the first areas in each of the main sections, now I have water breathing and poison floors and the mines to explore, but it's definitely tough going in those spots without having the anti-immortal or anti-spirit stuff built into my weapons. Real drain to have to use the spells every few steps.

I wish this game got a physical release for Xbox One version in the west similar to the original boxart of Xbox 360 version. It's simply amazing:

241052_front.jpg
241052_back.jpg

eastx

Did anyone else get a 16 MB patch today on Xbox One?

As for my progress, I finally beat the airplane boss today and then successfully went after the Black Candy Achievement. Having a really good time so far, and hope to review it by the end of the week at Windows Central.

Ricker

I whish there was a way to teleport back to the base...maybe in the full game later on.? Still on the trial but someone always dies before I reach whatever I need to do(not sure what it is lol) and I have to trek all the way back...with no money barely,so I have to rest the dead for a day...I made a Samurai as back up and might replace the Danser with him...it will leave me with only 2 spellcasters though,I have Wizard and Cleric,2 fighters and 1 Knight.

Saphirax

I whish there was a way to teleport back to the base...maybe in the full game later on.? Still on the trial but someone always dies before I reach whatever I need to do(not sure what it is lol) and I have to trek all the way back...with no money barely,so I have to rest the dead for a day...I made a Samurai as back up and might replace the Danser with him...it will leave me with only 2 spellcasters though,I have Wizard and Cleric,2 fighters and 1 Knight.

If I'm correct you can sometimes find these butterfly nests in dungeons that offer you a one time teleport out of them. Aside from that, I believe there's an item that does the same but it's rare.

Parakeetman

There actually is a way, though its a very limited resource. The butterfly wing that Kyo talks about in the tutorial.

If you buy all the ones in the shop the only other real way to get them is by constantly hunting butterfly nests and praying for a drop.

If I'm correct you can sometimes find these butterfly nests in dungeons that offer you a one time teleport out of them. Aside from that, I believe there's an item that does the same but it's rare.

Yes that is correct. The nests are a one way ticket out if you leave them alone for an escape later. Hard part is do you want a large chunk of exp and potential rare expendable items now or a way out later. lol Never fun trying to decide which is more important. Since with this game you never know whats going to happen.

Yeah I got pissed off earlier and needed to unwind so I just went digital and had to cancel my physical :( But man...worth it. Not sure how far I am in the game, I'm at the section after you've completely cleared the first areas in each of the main sections, now I have water breathing and poison floors and the mines to explore, but it's definitely tough going in those spots without having the anti-immortal or anti-spirit stuff built into my weapons. Real drain to have to use the spells every few steps.

You get to meet my BEST FRIENDS if you go into the mines. Good luck with that. The one fucking lineage species that gave me the most trouble. Then again Im a maniac and was using the enemy level up item which increases the difficulty of the game by a decent amount in the JP version. Was a special download from a collab they did with 4gamer I think it was. Which is why they apparently are unable to actually have it in the game for the West.

Parakeetman

Also btw those that need help use this Wiki + Google Translate.

http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/

Also in regards to stats allocation once again

Ol4xpU3.png

Max = Racial base starting value + 20

STR - Attack damage
INT - Mage spell damage / effectiveness + max MP
PIE - Cleric spell effectiveness + max MP
VIT - Defense and HP gain
AGI - Effects turn in combat, accuracy and dodge
LUC - Effects various things, one important one is helps with protecting against bad status / chance of getting 1 hit killed.

------------

In regards to age general breakdown
10~19 Years:Max LP 3、Lowest Bonus Pts 3
20~39 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 5
40~59 Years:Max LP 2、Lowest Bonus Pts 7
60~99 Years:Max LP 1、Lowest Bonus Pts 10

Shizuka

You'll find magic stones that'll instantly teleport you to the city and become an entrance for when you go to that dungeon again, but those are usually somewhat deep into dungeons.

Weebos

Banned
So this is from the people who made Demon's Gaze and Operation Abyss, right?

I couldn't get into those two games and I don't really want to make the same mistake three times.

Parakeetman

http://drpg-sosc.com/system/butterflynest-and-magicstone.html

the official site has general info also.

TheYanger

oh, question I keep wondering and forgetting to ask. Wtf are the circles down between your characters for while exploring? Almost seems like a touch interface of some kind but...this was a 360 game first right? so that sounds unlikely.

Parakeetman

oh, question I keep wondering and forgetting to ask. Wtf are the circles down between your characters for while exploring? Almost seems like a touch interface of some kind but...this was a 360 game first right? so that sounds unlikely.

Circles? You got a screenshot? The vita ver had some touch stuff in it I think. Thoughly mostly played through the Vita tv so never used any of it.

RedBoot

The stuff in the bottom-center of the screen? I assumed those were icons for exploration spells, like float, light, etc, though I haven't come across any yet.

There's a lot of icons on the left when you pull up the menu, too. Mysterious stuff. :p The game manual might explain it, I had to look up some stat stuff there.

CrovaxPSO

Do you mean the icons in the middle of the screen (some are lit up in this screenshot)? If so it's your current buffs.

Parakeetman

The stuff in the bottom-center of the screen? I assumed those were icons for exploration spells, like float, light, etc, though I haven't come across any yet.

There's a lot of icons on the left when you pull up the menu, too. Mysterious stuff. :p The game manual might explain it, I had to look up some stat stuff there.

Ah yeah those spells you will get both from the cleric and wizard.

think the cleric was hit and avoid

wizard has bad status protection, lowered encounters, magic attack def up

those are the effects that dont wear off till you leave the dungeon

Shizuka

I'm thinking of lowering the difficulty, if only because I've hit a standstill, grinding and doing ambushes aren't helping and I have little time to play every day. Do I lose access to any trophies doing that? Is there any downside? How do I lower the difficulty after you start the game?

TheYanger

Oh that makes sense. I'm only just starting to get those and haven't bothered using them yet since I'm in the water dungeon.

The ones on the left are the divinity buffs. Like when you use the heal you get early on the cross lights up, the anti-charm one shot mechanic one is the butterfly, etc.

Saphirax

I'm thinking of lowering the difficulty, if only because I've hit a standstill, grinding and doing ambushes aren't helping and I have little time to play every day. Do I lose access to any trophies doing that? Is there any downside? How do I lower the difficulty after you start the game?

It's an item, don't know the name. I think you can buy it from the shop for 500 gold,

Shizuka

It's an item, don't know the name. I think you can buy it from the shop for 500 gold,

Yup, just got that item and there is an option on the Stranger's Guild when you have that item. I lowered it, the only warning was that I couldn't join "speed rankings", whatever that is.

Parakeetman

I should do a 1 lp 1 roll run. Though dont think anything can beat that 1lp migmy pt run lol

TheYanger

Feels like progress is sloooow now, I started class changing my guys around finally in the early 20s, Seems like the short term power loss is quickly offset by the much higher HP you'll get due to levelling back up faster. Once I've done it a few more times too the extra skill slots should make it not a big deal - My original Knight should be able to have literally every relevant skill, for example. I'm not entirely sure where I should be progressing at this point. I need some kind of emblem/key to go farther in the underwater zone, I've finished everything in the Mausoleum of Flames besides the fire salamander or whatever, which is 5 stars so I'm not going to bother. I can't kill Murderall, and I went down to the stone in the Ghost City and was told the spider queen would destroy me.

Basically, right now I've got a map complete water zone, an unexplored ghost city third level, and a map and lineage clear (basically) fire zone. I'm 3/4 stones for my next Divinity upgrade, hopefully once that's done the plot will push forward a bit :) I like it best when I've got real options on where to go. I have a LOT of lineages left in the Sea but they're just not spawning when I'm down there and it's a real trek back out every time since the closest stone is up in the palace (and I have to run any time the golden asshole knight spawns there).

Parakeetman

Feels like progress is sloooow now, I started class changing my guys around finally in the early 20s, Seems like the short term power loss is quickly offset by the much higher HP you'll get due to levelling back up faster. Once I've done it a few more times too the extra skill slots should make it not a big deal - My original Knight should be able to have literally every relevant skill, for example. I'm not entirely sure where I should be progressing at this point. I need some kind of emblem/key to go farther in the underwater zone, I've finished everything in the Mausoleum of Flames besides the fire salamander or whatever, which is 5 stars so I'm not going to bother. I can't kill Murderall, and I went down to the stone in the Ghost City and was told the spider queen would destroy me.

Basically, right now I've got a map complete water zone, an unexplored ghost city third level, and a map and lineage clear (basically) fire zone. I'm 3/4 stones for my next Divinity upgrade, hopefully once that's done the plot will push forward a bit :) I like it best when I've got real options on where to go. I have a LOT of lineages left in the Sea but they're just not spawning when I'm down there and it's a real trek back out every time since the closest stone is up in the palace (and I have to run any time the golden asshole knight spawns there).

Wait the gold general shouldnt spawn if you do not have one of those hearts in your inventory though i thought?

TheYanger

Wait the gold general shouldnt spawn if you do not have one of those hearts in your inventory though i thought?

He won't, but I do. I was hunting him down early on before I realized he was insanely hard. It's not worth getting rid of them since I can just divinity escape away if I need to any time. Mostly not sure which things I even can/should hunt. The Sea ones seem by far the easiest, I destroy that zone in general and they're all low stars, but the only one I can find is the one that spawned in the ship graveyard. I've exhausted all of my morale at every other hiding spot, cleared every mob, nada. The notes indicate the kraken or crab guy ones should spawn by hiding after I wipe out tons of the normal mobs, but nothing :/ I've literally triple-hid in every spot, gotten krakens with the hides, and not been able to spawn the boss until I am totally out of ways to gain mroale short of patrolling randomly for battles.

Parakeetman

He won't, but I do. I was hunting him down early on before I realized he was insanely hard. It's not worth getting rid of them since I can just divinity escape away if I need to any time. Mostly not sure which things I even can/should hunt. The Sea ones seem by far the easiest, I destroy that zone in general and they're all low stars, but the only one I can find is the one that spawned in the ship graveyard. I've exhausted all of my morale at every other hiding spot, cleared every mob, nada. The notes indicate the kraken or crab guy ones should spawn by hiding after I wipe out tons of the normal mobs, but nothing :/ I've literally triple-hid in every spot, gotten krakens with the hides, and not been able to spawn the boss until I am totally out of ways to gain mroale short of patrolling randomly for battles.

sounds like you need a dancer or the skill anyways to gain morale. forgot what stats you needed to help it be more successful though. was something weird

PIE + LUC for that sword dance skill.

Merman thing
1000 depth X15 Y10

Kraken
100 or 500 depth

both are with ambush.

2 headed nessie
Check the warp at X12 Y14

I had some questions about the art styles. Judging from the EXP youtube it looks like you mix and match all four different art styles for the characters in your party. Does that mean that choosing artstyles only affects the story segments and npcs? (As a side note, it's pretty cool that they also have the Ray Gigant artist designs and Student of the Round art styles included. Some cool designs there.)

For the new Oxijiyen artwork, did they re-do monsters as well, or was it just the character portraits?

Also, what's the replayability on this? It sounds like you can choose to side with different guilds, does that affect the ending at all, or is it more a matter of just getting different types of quests/items?

Skimming the OP, there's some good hints in there. Will have to keep that stuff in mind.

CrovaxPSO

I had some questions about the art styles. Judging from the EXP youtube it looks like you mix and match all four different art styles for the characters in your party. Does that mean that choosing artstyles only affects the story segments and npcs? (As a side note, it's pretty cool that they also have the Ray Gigant artist designs and Student of the Round art styles included. Some cool designs there.)

For the new Oxijiyen artwork, did they re-do monsters as well, or was it just the character portraits?

Also, what's the replayability on this? It sounds like you can choose to side with different guilds, does that affect the ending at all, or is it more a matter of just getting different types of quests/items?

Skimming the OP, there's some good hints in there. Will have to keep that stuff in mind.

As far as I know it's just NPCs and event scenes that are redrawn. As you said, you can mix and match any of the art styles for your created party.

The faction you side with determines your ending. I think it might be the very last node you pick that determines the ending regardless of how many gems you give to each faction but I'm not certain. For me replayability comes from using different party compositions and playing through with the different faction skills.

As far as I know it's just NPCs and event scenes that are redrawn. As you said, you can mix and match any of the art styles for your created party.

The faction you side with determines your ending. I think it might be the very last node you pick that determines the ending regardless of how many gems you give to each faction but I'm not certain. For me replayability comes from using different party compositions and playing through with the different faction skills.

I see, thanks for the answers!

Yes, it sounds like there is moderate to moderately high replayability in that case. The age thing seemed like a fun way to make a more challenging playthrough, especially if you pick a different faction on the next time.

Parakeetman

art style selection effects story events and some story related npcs

Parakeetman

Looking forward to trying trial tomorrow. Looks like a good bit of you are having fun.

as others had mentioned the fact that you can keep earned achievements is cool. thank god i dont bother with that anymore though. kicked the habbit during the 360 days lol

JPS Kai

Does anyone know how to block/avoid requiem attacks?

I'm fighting against the
Death Dragon
and he'll randomly take out two or three party members out of the blue.

Parakeetman

I'm fighting against the
Death Dragon

that magic shield divinity helps along with a higher luc status anything that helps protect against magic also

do believe requiem counts as a spell thats why.

outside of that just pray it doesnt proc correctly...

The other thing which is stated is apparently depending on how large the lv diff is between you and the target casting requiem the chances of it procing are higher. So close that gap if you want to get hit by it less. Later on you will run into more enemies that have that wonderful spell thats why lol

TheYanger

I'm fighting against the
Death Dragon

Hmm. I just killed this guy really easily, unless you fight it again later or something. The dialogue was leading me to believe the spider queen would be super hard so I had been avoiding Ghost Town, but after doing MoF and wandering the sea for a while this place was a joke, the poison floors above with Murderall constantly spawning were much much harder. What level are your characters? I'm not sure if he cast Requim a single time, If he did it never came close to doing anything to me. I've started multiclassing my party around a bit more, I figure all of the melee characters benefit a lot from the added skills, and my cleric/wizard will end up beign back as Cleric and Wizard, but they're levelling faster which gives them some bonus hp/mp and I consider that the primary benefit there.

EDIT: Ok yeah, progressing the plot a bit past that point, it definitely seems the intended order would be:
Flames, Ghost town, Sea. I think the poison floor is a bit of an aberration difficulty-wise since the first floor of Sea is WAY easier, but you can't get anywhere there other than the ghost ship lineage. The ghost town once you get through the poison shit is really easy though, and MoF was just easy in general. I'm guessing having trouble with the spot you're having trouble in you are doing the ghost town first?

JPS Kai

Hmm. I just killed this guy really easily, unless you fight it again later or something. The dialogue was leading me to believe the spider queen would be super hard so I had been avoiding Ghost Town, but after doing MoF and wandering the sea for a while this place was a joke, the poison floors above with Murderall constantly spawning were much much harder. What level are your characters? I'm not sure if he cast Requim a single time, If he did it never came close to doing anything to me. I've started multiclassing my party around a bit more, I figure all of the melee characters benefit a lot from the added skills, and my cleric/wizard will end up beign back as Cleric and Wizard, but they're levelling faster which gives them some bonus hp/mp and I consider that the primary benefit there.

EDIT: Ok yeah, progressing the plot a bit past that point, it definitely seems the intended order would be:
Flames, Ghost town, Sea. I think the poison floor is a bit of an aberration difficulty-wise since the first floor of Sea is WAY easier, but you can't get anywhere there other than the ghost ship lineage. The ghost town once you get through the poison shit is really easy though, and MoF was just easy in general. I'm guessing having trouble with the spot you're having trouble in you are doing the ghost town first?

I actually did flames > first section of sea up until where you need an item to activate the teleporter > ghost town. Beat the spider queen without much trouble then got decimated by the dragon shortly afterwards. I should probably grind a little higher since my team is all around level 14-15 and either Dancer or Ninja.

Also, is there a recommended list of divinity to grab? I'm debating between Sword Bond 2 and Holy Light 2 at the moment. Sword Bond 1 says it increases physical damage by 20% and Sword Bond 2 decreases physical damage taken by 30%. Not quite sure if that's intentional or a translation error.

TheYanger

I actually did flames > first section of sea up until where you need an item to activate the teleporter > ghost town. Beat the spider queen without much trouble then got decimated by the dragon shortly afterwards. I should probably grind a little higher since my team is all around level 14-15 and either Dancer or Ninja.

Also, is there a recommended list of divinity to grab? I'm debating between Sword Bond 2 and Holy Light 2 at the moment. Sword Bond 1 says it increases physical damage by 20% and Sword Bond 2 decreases physical damage taken by 30%. Not quite sure if that's intentional or a translation error.

Not sure. I've just been throwing everything in the top row since that's the side I wanted to support, I don't think it matters though. My team when I did the Dragon was like this (Mostly the hp values to help, no idea how many total levels they're at)

Those are like the third class for most of the low level ones. And my higher level ones have had 2 classes.

JPS Kai

Not sure. I've just been throwing everything in the top row since that's the side I wanted to support, I don't think it matters though. My team when I did the Dragon was like this (Mostly the hp values to help, no idea how many total levels they're at)

Those are like the third class for most of the low level ones. And my higher level ones have had 2 classes.

This is my current setup. Ashibi's just sitting in to fill space while one of my front line attackers recovers a life point.

TheYanger

Wow, I just went back to clear out some old lineages, since I never found the fire salamander guy in the MoF. Apparently I didn't see there was a second 'hot' door leading to the giatn room with mostly fire floor tiles, so he was SUPER easy, and then also found the hidden room there with the infinite
butterfly mob spawns
..holy shit. Wish I knew about that sooner. So much xp.

Edit: Finally beat Murderall too. Fuck that asshole. I lost my ranger, but rezzed him before the end with a phoenix feather or whatever, probably should've saved it but F it. Pretty sure the real thing to do is use my shield wall divinity every turn AND my wizard's anti-magic 1 turn spell every turn, since he can rng kill people just by attacking or by casting thunder (which 1 shot my ranger).

Shizuka

Wow, I just went back to clear out some old lineages, since I never found the fire salamander guy in the MoF. Apparently I didn't see there was a second 'hot' door leading to the giatn room with mostly fire floor tiles, so he was SUPER easy, and then also found the hidden room there with the infinite
butterfly mob spawns
..holy shit. Wish I knew about that sooner. So much xp.

Edit: Finally beat Murderall too. Fuck that asshole. I lost my ranger, but rezzed him before the end with a phoenix feather or whatever, probably should've saved it but F it. Pretty sure the real thing to do is use my shield wall divinity every turn AND my wizard's anti-magic 1 turn spell every turn, since he can rng kill people just by attacking or by casting thunder (which 1 shot my ranger).

Tell me more about that hidden room, please.

TheYanger

Tell me more about that hidden room, please.

Spoilered in case people don't want to know that stuff. It would've been VERY easy to miss, just happened to step on that square and get the 'noticed something' notifiication.
Also, since they're transporters it made me have to figure out how to kill them faster: Soul whatever, the wizard skill, works amazingly. I cross classed it onto my cleric and between the two of them I can kill them in 1-2 rounds now. Hoping that works on the ones in the MoFrost too since those heal for like 40 a turn or something dumb.

JPS Kai

Spoilered in case people don't want to know that stuff. It would've been VERY easy to miss, just happened to step on that square and get the 'noticed something' notifiication.
Also, since they're transporters it made me have to figure out how to kill them faster: Soul whatever, the wizard skill, works amazingly. I cross classed it onto my cleric and between the two of them I can kill them in 1-2 rounds now. Hoping that works on the ones in the MoFrost too since those heal for like 40 a turn or something dumb.

They're technically Spirit, so just use Magic Weapon and things will go a lot faster. ;)

JPS Kai

Well, I might have done too much grinding since the dragon was a joke. Either that, or Holy Shield is just as amazing as it was in Demon Gaze.

Top Bottom