• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 2016 |OT| Always looking to go deep

Avalt

Is there a hidden difficulty between beginner and rookie in RTTS? Batting in beginner is too easy, but I'm lucky to get a single base hit in rookie... (I'm using zone hitting)

I'm just having a real hard time finding the right difficulty and batting settings. Zone batting is the most fun out of the three options, but all my swings become late swings in rookie since I can't react fast enough otherwise.

Also, do you earn more stubs for bothering with higher difficulties? So far it seems that RTTS earns very little stubs per game, but I haven't tried the other game modes yet.

I must be doing something wrong with baserunning while the ball is in play. Don't you aim the left stick at the runner and hit L1 to advance? Idk how many times ive tried doing this only to have one runner come back and then fuck me over as I could've scored a run.

I must be doing something wrong with baserunning while the ball is in play. Don't you aim the left stick at the runner and hit L1 to advance? Idk how many times ive tried doing this only to have one runner come back and then fuck me over as I could've scored a run.

Aim the left stick at the guy you want to advance and hit the button for the base you want to advance him to.

Jesb

Can someone explain guessing a pitch. Sometimes I'll guess the right location but I don't get that red indicator, yet the pitch went exactly in that spot.

Can someone explain guessing a pitch. Sometimes I'll guess the right location but I don't get that red indicator, yet the pitch went exactly in that spot.

You have to guess the correct pitch type and location to get the indicator.

Man, being able to go from game to game in RTTS is so bad for me...why? Because its so eady to play hours on end and not realize it. I hated all of the loading during RTTS in previous years. The games are so short so the load times were so apparent.

Glass Joe

So is dynamic difficulty just bonked in general?

I picked up The Show 15 a couple months back, played franchise and was having a blast. My team was 24-19 it I liked how difficulty would adjust if I was doing too bad or too good.

I picked up The Show 16 and my franchise is 15-3. I'm pitching shutouts and sometimes having complete blow-outs. Seems my difficulty will go up through the course of a game, but as soon as I shut it off and pick up where I left off, I'm at "rookie +" which is frustrating.

ukas

I picked up The Show 15 a couple months back, played franchise and was having a blast. My team was 24-19 it I liked how difficulty would adjust if I was doing too bad or too good.

I picked up The Show 16 and my franchise is 15-3. I'm pitching shutouts and sometimes having complete blow-outs. Seems my difficulty will go up through the course of a game, but as soon as I shut it off and pick up where I left off, I'm at "rookie +" which is frustrating.

As far as I know it's broken for batting in Road to the Show.

Jedi2016

Made the "mistake" of going to an Astros game over the weekend, so I picked this game up yesterday.

I made something sort of like myself in RTTS, and he sure as hell throws like me.. lol. I can't figure out the fielding controls just yet, or maybe I need to fiddle with the different modes and figure out which one works best.

This may be a silly question, but I couldn't seem to find the option anywhere in the menus... is there a way to just set up a custom exhibition game? Pick two teams, pick a stadium, and go? Not a part of RTTS, Dynasty, or any of that.. just play a game of baseball.

And did I read that right up above? That RTTS doesn't show the game unfolding if your player isn't directly involved? That's kind of lame.. I don't mind not being the center of attention in this sort of game, or just hanging out in right field without having balls hit my way for a few at-bats. I've only just started, so I haven't seen how the mode really works.

watdaeff4

From what I can tell it is and it's my only issue with this game.

Significant issue though

I have a copy held at the local library. Hopefully it's not in horrid shape or dirty, because then I will have to pass on playing it for the time being.

Picked the game up from the library tonight. I'm looking forward to checking it out over the weekend.

I'd buy it, but I just don't have the time to devote to one game where seasons are so long and games take so long. I like hockey, because it's fast and games don't take too long, but I play too many games these days to really get into any more sports games.

Hopefully the disc is in okay condition. I haven't felt clean enough to check.

Wow. Nobody's posted since I did the other day. Sorry for the double post then.

I installed the game tonight and played it for a bit, but it's just too sim/technical for me. I appreciate it, but it's too slow of a sport to be played as a sim game for me. It's definitely a looker and well made, though.

I bought The Show in the past, but didn't play it much. I think I'm more suited for arcade baseball like Slugfest.

This is not the game's fault, though.

I won 14-0 as the Royals against the Mets.

Patch v1.04 is out for PS4 and PS3. PS4 file size is 237.3 MB.

OFFLINE GAME-PLAY:
Dynamic Difficulty is now working as intended while batting.
The ball trail option will now correctly correspond in-game if set to off, or fade.
Several adjustments were made to the auto base running mechanics during offline game-play.
Fixed an issue within RTTS while pitching with certain Perks equipped would result in a crash.
Corrected the order in which the "Preloading a Throw” and “Double Play” tutorial appear.
Following a Year to Year file upload in Road To The Show, the player card stats would display incorrect team and player info. This should now be corrected.
Tweaks and adjustments were made to AI behavior and animations that should streamline game-play performance. Areas of adjustment include: Fielders tagging moving base runners, Routes to catch balls, running catch animations, Fielders correctly covering bases on complex double play situations, etc…
Within Franchise mode, some generated or additional players were listed as born in “Alaska” instead of their correct place of origin. This should now be corrected and no longer happen.
Adjustments made to both online and offline pitcher/reliever energy levels.
New scanned heads added to update user’s experience following a year to year file upload.
Fixed numerous hangs, crashes, soft locks, etc., reported by the community through the bug reporting tool.
Sponsors should now give rewards.

ONLINE GAME-PLAY:
Fixed a bug that could cause a loss for users who requested a friendly quit at certain times.
Resolved a number of freezing, soft locks, instability and crashes during online play.
Fixed an issue where a pitch could occasionally change path on its’ way to the plate, shifting from inside the zone to outside the zone within a frame.
Addressed an issue under certain circumstances a pitcher would automatically pitch when the batter came out of Batter's Eye Cam.
Changes were made to the Batters Eye Cam: How long it can be used, how many times it can be accessed per at bat, etc… This should limit exploits, but keep the feature usable for its’ intended purpose.
We’ve shortened the total amount of pause time from 6 minutes to 5 minutes during an online game.
The pitchers pitch type interface will now be hidden if the batter is using Guess Pitch or Pitch History (L2 Button). This should help the user who is pitching understand when they can and cannot start the pitching motion.
Fixed a bug where the user was not being awarded the “Free Swings” trophy in an Online Home Run Derby if specific operations were being performed.

AUDIO
Resolved issues where in game intro/walk-up music would not play properly.
Tuned commentary triggers to be more accurate in one-sided games.
Reduced the amount of repetitive audio clips for specific players.
Fixed an issue where player yells were being disabled through the controller within Road To The Show. An occasional sound burst could also occur during game-play.
Various other general bug fixes.

I am definitely seeing an issue with fielders and throwing animations. A lot of times they default into a rather soft throwing animation in a situation that requires a quick throw to a base. I have their throw loaded up and everything. It's cost me a few times now.

I feel a bit ripped off when I get an important RBI while batting as my RTTS pitcher and then get nothing for it in terms of training points. Meh.

Couleurs

Does the auto baserunning adjustment fix the bug where runners stop between bases? I lost so many runs from that; by the time I realize my dude didn't run, he gets forced out

Caja 117

Im playing franchise, and Can someone tell me what does the green circle on every player rating means? I know the red bar is the player fatigue meter, but Cant seem to figure out the green one. thank you.

Im playing franchise, and Can someone tell me what does the green circle on every player rating means? I know the red bar is the player fatigue meter, but Cant seem to figure out the green one. thank you.

Player skill, for example if Josh Donaldson is 99 and say, Jarrod Dyson is a 75, the green bar will signify that. It's dumb considering the number tells most of the story anyway.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing RTTS since launch and that patch fix for the hitting difficulty just fucked my entire career, grrrrr.

I wasn't aware at first that the hitting never got bumped up during my first season in the AA's so I was hitting .505 and thinking to myself, "Damn I really got the hang of this game finally". The problem is, I carried that into the AAA for 2 seasons and then the patch came out and fixed it (it went from Rookie hitting to Hall of Fame). I don't have an issue with the batting being more realistic and my average shooting down to like .280-.300 in the majors, the problem is that it fucked up all my ratings.

Since I was doing so well in the minors, I was getting training points like crazy and was able to get my guy up to like an 82 overall by the time I got to the Major leagues. My contact and power ratings are in the 70's as well as my fielding and speed. Well, now that it takes 240 pts to go up one point in contact, I can't maintain those high stats since I'm a bench player on the Orioles. I only get to bat once every 7 games or so with the occasional full game where I can bat 3-4 times. So now all my attributes are just completely tanking because I literally can't get enough training points to stop them from falling. That bug threw off the entire "economy" of the training system due to how many games I was playing so quickly. I should probably just restart my career, but I really don't wanna slog it out through the minors again for the next 2 weeks.

Side note, but am I just not understanding what the hitting controls are for this years game? I have it on default, where if I hold L stick, I see the blue arrows show up in the zones, but I thought that was just where I intended to pull the ball to? Does it also act as what part of the zone I'm trying to hit? For example (I'm a lefty batter), if I hold LEFT, is that just telling my guy to try and put the ball into left field regardless of where the ball is actually coming in? Or is that also telling my batter to swing more into the left side of the zone? Because my character is constantly whiffing on pitches in the zone or foul tipping them even though I make good contact and my timing is good. I can't figure out if I'm supposed to try and hold the L stick in the zone area where the ball is landing or if it doesn't matter with the hitting style I have selected.

Side note, but am I just not understanding what the hitting controls are for this years game? I have it on default, where if I hold L stick, I see the blue arrows show up in the zones, but I thought that was just where I intended to pull the ball to? Does it also act as what part of the zone I'm trying to hit? For example (I'm a lefty batter), if I hold LEFT, is that just telling my guy to try and put the ball into left field regardless of where the ball is actually coming in? Or is that also telling my batter to swing more into the left side of the zone? Because my character is constantly whiffing on pitches in the zone or foul tipping them even though I make good contact and my timing is good. I can't figure out if I'm supposed to try and hold the L stick in the zone area where the ball is landing or if it doesn't matter with the hitting style I have selected.

Sounds like you are using directional hitting. In that case, that arrow ONLY affects where you are trying to place the ball. Your contact should be a result of your timing. Having said that, it's a bit like real baseball in that it's easier to take a pitch a certain direction based on where it comes across the plate.

As a lefty batter, if you try to pull an outside pitch (on the left side of the plate from the hitter's perspective) to right field you might struggle. The pitch location makes it a lot easier to drive that ball towards left field, since it's already outside. Inside pitches (coming in near your left handed batter) are easier to pull toward right field. So in a sense, the direction you want to send the ball will impact the outcome of your at bat.

With directional hitting, you can also leave the left stick completely neutral and focus on contact. The ball will still go in different directions based on pitch location, but you're also more likely to see drives straight up the middle.

For the record, the timing on both directional and analog hitting is a lot less forgiving than zone. The trade off with zone is you have to place the Plate Coverage Indicator on the ball to get strong contact, but you have a better chance to get a good timing outcome with your swing.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like you are using directional hitting. In that case, that arrow ONLY affects where you are trying to place the ball. Your contact should be a result of your timing. Having said that, it's a bit like real baseball in that it's easier to take a pitch a certain direction based on where it comes across the plate.

As a lefty batter, if you try to pull an outside pitch (on the left side of the plate from the hitter's perspective) to right field you might struggle. The pitch location makes it a lot easier to drive that ball towards left field, since it's already outside. Inside pitches (coming in near your left handed batter) are easier to pull toward right field. So in a sense, the direction you want to send the ball will impact the outcome of your at bat.

With directional hitting, you can also leave the left stick completely neutral and focus on contact. The ball will still go in different directions based on pitch location, but you're also more likely to see drives straight up the middle.

For the record, the timing on both directional and analog hitting is a lot less forgiving than zone. The trade off with zone is you have to place the Plate Coverage Indicator on the ball to get strong contact, but you have a better chance to get a good timing outcome with your swing.
Thanks, I'm going to try and mess with zone hitting for a few games to see if I do any better. Maybe it's just because my hitting difficulty went up to Hall of Fame that I'm having such a hard time getting hits now. They must really want me to work the count to get that meatball on pitch 7 or 8. But I'm impatient and usually swing at everything, haha. I've been playing this game since 2008 and I still have a hard time picking up on what kind of pitch is coming at me or if it's even going to stay in the zone or not.

Thanks, I'm going to try and mess with zone hitting for a few games to see if I do any better. Maybe it's just because my hitting difficulty went up to Hall of Fame that I'm having such a hard time getting hits now. They must really want me to work the count to get that meatball on pitch 7 or 8. But I'm impatient and usually swing at everything, haha. I've been playing this game since 2008 and I still have a hard time picking up on what kind of pitch is coming at me or if it's even going to stay in the zone or not.

Zone is very difficult at first. I would normally try it for 2-3 games then go back to analog in frustration. But I finally forced myself to stick with it for a few days and it clicked. Now I can't imagine trying anything else.

I suggest turning your difficulty down a setting or two while you make the switch. Heck, you might just want to leave it lower permanently, unless you're getting decent results. I haven't played for a week or so, but I'm 99% sure the game defaults to All Star when you play online. If you can hit on All Star, you can hit.

Choomp

Banned
I am definitely seeing an issue with fielders and throwing animations. A lot of times they default into a rather soft throwing animation in a situation that requires a quick throw to a base. I have their throw loaded up and everything. It's cost me a few times now.

That's always been an issue for me. I actually find that it normally just makes the play closer and there won't actually be a blown play because of it. Either way, annoying.

I've been having a lot of fun not buying a lot of players and scrapping out a lot of wins depending on pitching and usually no more than 5 runs, with a bunch of Royals in my lineup who get on base and grind out at bats more often than not.(diamond dynasty)

One thing that helped me pick up zone hitting was turning off the plate coverage indicator (PCI) after a while. Your results may vary, but with it out of the way, I could concentrate on where the ball was going better.

geomon

Sorry for the thread bump but I just got my codes from Sony's E3 Experience and there's 2 codes for MLB 16 The Show for 5 standard packs. So if anyone wants them, shoot me a PM. One code per person please.

Edit: They're gone

shanafan

Question about importing my RTTS player from the Show 15 to 16 - Does the season also carry over, or just the player? I am in a fight to first with my Marlins, and like to see the season finish.

Question about importing my RTTS player from the Show 15 to 16 - Does the season also carry over, or just the player? I am in a fight to first with my Marlins, and like to see the season finish.

I think all it does is bring your save over. So at whatever point you go from, you will continue from there.

Has anyone had issues with the game skipping homerun celebrations? I have full broadcast yet it seems to be in a hybrid. Skips the entire beginning of game presentation and all home run celebrations, regardless of situation. Any ideas?

How do you join as player 2 in couch coop?

EDIT: Just checked in play now, and it works there. So they removed online couch coop. Goddammit why?

I would greatly appreciate advice for improving my DD squad. I'm a beginner that just started playing this week. I haven't really started hunting for specific players yet, my team is mostly built around players that I got from opening packs that came with the MVP edition (I only specifically bought Tulo & Russ Martin). This is my current squad:

Rotation:

SP Jon Lester
SP Jeremy Hellickson
SP Jason Hammel
SP Kyle Gibson
SP Gio Gonzalez

Lineup:

CF Jacoby Ellsbury
2B Neil Walker
1B Justin Morneau
C Russell Martin
SS Troy Tulowitzki
LF Hyunsoo Kim
3B Edwin Encarnacion (Flashback, Cincinnati Reds)
RF Shane Victorino
P Jon Lester

Bench:
CF Austin Jackson
C Brian McCann
2B Cory Spangenberg
1B Prince Fielder
CF Billy Burns

BullPen:
LRP Joe Smith
MRP Brett Cecil
MRP Sergio Romo
MRP Joakim Soria
SU Sean Doolittle
SU Boone Logan
CP Seunghwan Oh

•Which position should I focus on improving first? Also, what are some cheap but effective recommendations to replace anyone on my squad? I'm a Blue Jays fan, so it would be nice to get one of them if it works, but if not I'm open to anyone that will help me win. I currently only have 1540 stubs.
•Also, it would be great if anyone would give me recommendations on re-ordering/re-positioning my current players too.
•Donaldson is my captain, if it makes any difference.
•Should I bother with a created player?

Joe

Is the PS3 version any good? I want an online baseball game and it'd be easier to swallow buying a used PS3 rather than a PS4.

Or am I just wasting my time and get a PS4?

Is the PS3 version any good? I want an online baseball game and it'd be easier to swallow buying a used PS3 rather than a PS4.

I think PS4's has plenty of great titles to warrant a purchase. Or you could just wait for PS4 Neo.

Like LHK just posted, wait for a NEO or just get a PS4. FFS get a current gen console, stop being a cheapskate.

"It'd be easier to swallow buying a used ps3 rather than a ps4"

SMFH.

Cornbread78

I would say pick up a PS4 at this point sonce that is where a majority of the online traffic would be.

Joe

I think PS4's has plenty of great titles to warrant a purchase. Or you could just wait for PS4 Neo.
Yeah, I might just wait for a PS4 sale or even the Neo if Morpheus ends up being really good.
Like LHK just posted, wait for a NEO or just get a PS4. FFS get a current gen console, stop being a cheapskate.

"It'd be easier to swallow buying a used ps3 rather than a ps4"

SMFH.
I have an Xbone.
I would say pick up a PS4 at this point sonce that is where a majority of the online traffic would be.
That's a good point, thanks.

Hogger

I don't know if anyone is still checking this thread or just moved to Reddit if they're looking to discuss this game but if so... 99 Flashback legends are now available from Captain Store for 5500 tickets...

Now that's a lot of tickets but for rewards like Ted Williams, Joe Morgan and Albert Pujols at 99 it may be worth it.

shandy706

Boy...this place is dead. Is there another thread?

I've bought R&C, UC4, MLB 16, and Driveclub with my PS4.

Have to say I like the gameplay of The Show. This is my first MLB game of current gen (not counting my Vita copies) and I have to say I'm very disappointed in the graphics :-/. They're blurry minus some closeups and cinematic shots. What happened? I expect far better on PS4.

My Vita copies look incredible for the hardware.

Anyway, had to get that off my chest....not sure if anyone is listening though..lol. Why aren't PS4 MLB games up to (graphic)standards this gen? Also noticed some janky animations in my first 2 games.

oatmeal

Banned
Yeah the graphics are very long in the tooth at this point.

Not ugly but isn't pushing anything anymkre. Looks like 17 is More of the same.

Unknown?

Yeah the graphics are very long in the tooth at this point.

Not ugly but isn't pushing anything anymkre. Looks like 17 is More of the same.
They have improved but now that they only have a PS4 version they have more time to improve even more. Glad I have a Pro because it will look great in 4K!

Top Bottom