• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to de-gloss an Onyx DS?

I can actually see the end product of this being pretty cool. Or a disaster. Either way, yay pics!

I was originally planning on holding out for a black DSL, but I'm kinda glad I caved in in July and bought a white one. Fingerprints don't seem to be as visible, and that's good for my anal-retentive self.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
wtf guys he PAID for it (i hope) and if he can't stand the oh-so-slippery pure sexiness on his fingers while playing - then let him do whatever he wants to do =)

I guess now you go on with fine sandpaper, huh?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bufbaf said:
wtf guys he PAID for it (i hope) and if he can't stand the oh-so-slippery pure sexiness on his fingers while playing - then let him do whatever he wants to do =)

I guess now you go on with fine sandpaper, huh?

It's schadenfreude that eggs us on. Or...reverse schadenfreude, I guess...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
wait: "schadenfreude" is actually a word used in common english? Like, dunno, postergeist or kindergarten? That's quite cool, we are slowly taking over America :)

Hyoushi

2uoq61w.jpg

MutFox

Banned
Hopefully it doesn't end up like that "Lost in Blue" POS DS MOD.
Actually, nothing can ever beat that.

E-Nature

kiryogi said:
What is this mod you speak of? Pics please!

Enjoy this for your viewing pleasure!
uglyds.jpg

:lol :lol

my god, somehow I have the same thoughts about the final result of that black DSL......

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Bufbaf said:
wait: "schadenfreude" is actually a word used in common english? Like, dunno, postergeist or kindergarten? That's quite cool, we are slowly taking over America :)
You can thank things like the internet and the broadway musical Avenue Q for the popularity of "Shadenfreude".

ortwin_regal said:
I painted my DS Lost in Blue themed. Seems like most people hate me for it but that's ok.
hahahahahaha.

this sandpapering a DS lite thing is a bit mean though. i mean you guys talked him into it!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
you know....if this thing went out on the internet...like if you made a video on youtube or something - you would probably be featured on Japanese news channels.

Looks better than expected, I also like the look of the matte kind of finish like the inside of the DS Lite. But once I actually saw the unit in person, and after spending some time with it, I wouldnt change a damn thing, a matte-all-over DSL now would seem weird and deformed.

a problem is the matte stains, the gloss is wipeable, good job yours is black!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ok so it went really well. Here, I'll show you.

DS13.JPG

DS14.JPG

DS15.JPG

Here is DS being sexy in the daylight. Now here is what the back looks like...

DS16.JPG

DS17.JPG

DS18.JPG

DS19.JPG

Not too bad, I still worked on it a bit after that because it wasn't quite perfect and the detail spots were hard to do. But now, what everyone has been waiting for, how does the front look?

DS20.JPG

DS21.JPG

DS22.JPG

As you can see, I still need to smooth and buff the right side a little, but the rest is fantastic. It's like the Batmobile DS now. What does it really look/feel like? A less slippery Dual Shock 2. Seriously.

I do highly recommend working with a lamp if you decide to do this. You see to wipe off the dust and look at it at an angle to see where it's still slightly glossy. Once you work off the gloss it's a different kind of plastic underneath and scratches don't show.

For a last couple notes, I used one of those fluffy-feeling kind of paper towels to brush dust off the file now and then. It got it off best and would grab on the grit to let me know how much is left on the part of the file I was using.

Also, after you wipe off the dust, there is still going to be a very thin layer on the top that will make it look lighter. Just use your hand oil (it will soak up your hands dry) and when you rub it you should see the superfine dust form into clumps, it seems bluejeans are best for wiping this off, then use a finer cloth to buff it more.

I decided I'd leave the sides smooth and shiny because it looks kind of cool, it'll make sliding the power and volume easier and it'd be a pain to work on.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
:lol :lol :lol This thread delivers.

Go Dice go! You truly are a hero for all of us black DSL owners

edit: damn, it actually looks very nice. Might do this.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Dice said:
As you can see, I still need to smooth and buff the right side a little, but the rest is fantastic. It's like the Batmobile DS now. What does it really look/feel like? A less slippery Dual Shock 2. Seriously.

haha, I was gonna reference a batmobile toy I had in the 80s as a reason for why non-gloss would look weird. But it looks good, congrats.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bufbaf said:

Uh, yea man. It's part of common english, now.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Gamecocks625 said:
So, fingerprints are bad, but sanding the crap out of it is better?
ex-fcuking-actly

DS21.JPG

wtf?! you sandpapered the entire thing.... even where you don't hold it when playing?

wow

It's cool that it came out looking pretty nice, but I'm secretly disappointed we don't have an abomination to laugh at.

I'm confused. Is this a happy ending or a sad ending?

Cymbal Head said:
It's cool that it came out looking pretty nice, but I'm secretly disappointed we don't have an abomination to laugh at.

I'm confused. Is this a happy ending or a sad ending?

It's an ending, that's enough

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
If you are going to do this you should be using wet-sandpaper. The same stuff that is used to sand plexiglass and such. It is super fine and wouldn't leave those tiny surface scratches. I know that looks alright, but I'm sure wet-sandpaper (I'm pretty sure that is what it's called) would have worked better. After the wet-sandpaper you use a buffing machine to really smooth out the surface.

And really starting with anything harsher than 320 is a bad idea.

Zaptruder

Banned
Dumbshit.

Should've at least tried the matt varnish route before going for sandpaper.

Ah well, whatever, that's your DS. Don't you dare lay a finger on mine! :p

ShinNL

Hell no, if I knew this I would have bought a black DS instead. No way... looks great *sniff*

awesome job

Top Bottom