• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

TheFlow

Banned
People who drop weights in the gym can fuck right the fuck off.

I am getting my bench press on and al I hear(my earphones are on playing cliche workout music) so I look up and see this cunt dropping 45lb plates on the ground after each set -_-.

Like what type of person has to drop plates on the ground instead.

Szu

ty for the love friendos, but I am still a fatty mcpatty

this is never leaving me, I just love my food too much

This is pretty much FE. Just replace the bills with tacos.

Woody-Harrelson-Cry.gif

Hip wasn't too bad today on deads since I don't go down near as far but I did feel it 300+ so I backed off to 300 even and just repped it out. It wasn't snapping over my hip like it does on squats but it was hurting a bit. Finished off with some cable rows, wide grip pulldowns and London's. Seeing the doc tomorrow so we will see what's up.

Edit: I just realized this is where some chains or something can come in handy to add some weight as my legs straighten so I can push some extra weight without putting a huge amount of stress on the hip when I start the pull :O - I blame Brolic.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Benched, cgbp, for the first time in almost a year. Did 225x10 easily with no pain but didn't go any heavier, might try it again next week. Pecs look fine without any chest exercises in a long ass time.

Is it normal to get very dizzy after barbell rows? I am attributing my 2 day headache to that and thinking of dropping them

So I've lost a ton of weight since last year mostly doing a lot of cardio (1 hour a night for at least 3 nights) and lowering my carbs drastically (try to keep it under 100g a day) but I've hit a wall. I went from 350 lbs. down to 256 lbs. but I've been stuck in this 256-260 area for close to a month. My target weight is 180. Two weeks ago I stopped doing that cardio and started lifting a lot more weights at the gym instead of getting on the elliptical every night and have noticed some improvement in my muscle but I'm not hulked out or anything. I mainly want to lose the gut/love handles and the fatty inner thighs. Any advice would be helpful.

Is it normal to get very dizzy after barbell rows? I am attributing my 2 day headache to that and thinking of dropping them
No, doesn't sound normal. My guess is when you inhale and hold your breath you aren't holding it in your core, causing lightheadedness, headaches, etc. Takes a bit of practice to get breathing down to solidify your core without forcing the blood to your brain, especially when bent over.

How do you usually breathe when doing these?

So I've lost a ton of weight since last year mostly doing a lot of cardio (1 hour a night for at least 3 nights) and lowering my carbs drastically (try to keep it under 100g a day) but I've hit a wall. I went from 350 lbs. down to 256 lbs. but I've been stuck in this 256-260 area for close to a month. My target weight is 180. Two weeks ago I stopped doing that cardio and started lifting a lot more weights at the gym instead of getting on the elliptical every night and have noticed some improvement in my muscle but I'm not hulked out or anything. I mainly want to lose the gut/love handles and the fatty inner thighs. Any advice would be helpful.
It's not just about lowering carbs. Your body needs the right amounts of all types of fuel when cutting or bulking. Hit up the OP and give it a thorough read than come back with some questions for fine tuning :D

It's not just about lowering carbs. Your body needs the right amounts of all types of fuel when cutting or bulking. Hit up the OP and give it a thorough read than come back with some questions for fine tuning :D[/QUOTE said:
No, I know that but it's gotten me a lot of the progress I've had so far. It just isn't cutting it anymore. My progress has slowed drastically so I'm getting kind of frustrated.

Eating like a complete pig today. My cutting is on hold after the damage three days of endurance riding did to me. Looked in a mirror last night and my skin was literally hanging off me. =/

Double post as I haven't done this yet:

Height 5'7
Weight: 256
Goal: 180
Current training schedule: Monday through Wednesday primarily weight lifting for the past few weeks. Originally it was an hour of cardio and then 3 different weight lifting exercises for a certain area (I break them up arms/chest, abs and legs). Now I'm doing 10 different exercise machines Monday through Wednesday targetting those same areas with 30 minutes of cardio on leg day.

Current equipment: I go to a Planet Fitness after work. I have a stretching mat at home and an ab roller. I also have an adjustable dumbbell at home.

Comment: Especially trying to get rid of gut/love handles and chunky inner thighs.

Not sure exactly as I don't follow it super close. If I had to guess it's probably in the 1500 range? It's mostly nuts, fish, chicken, salad, fruits for the most part. I drink plenty of water as well.

My suggestion would be to track everything for a week (without trying to change anything, just eat how you have been) and then go for a small deficit, a couple hundred calories. See what that does for you.

For me, knowledge is power when it comes to weightloss. I have to be certain I know how much I'm eating.

No, I know that but it's gotten me a lot of the progress I've had so far. It just isn't cutting it anymore. My progress has slowed drastically so I'm getting kind of frustrated.
You need to understand that your needs will change as your body changes. You need to listen to your body and know when to make small adjustments in diet and exercise.

Double post as I haven't done this yet:

Height 5'7
Weight: 256
Goal: 180
Current training schedule: Monday through Wednesday primarily weight lifting for the past few weeks. Originally it was an hour of cardio and then 3 different weight lifting exercises for a certain area (I break them up arms/chest, abs and legs). Now I'm doing 10 different exercise machines Monday through Wednesday targetting those same areas with 30 minutes of cardio on leg day.

Current equipment: I go to a Planet Fitness after work. I have a stretching mat at home and an ab roller. I also have an adjustable dumbbell at home.

Comment: Especially trying to get rid of gut/love handles and chunky inner thighs.
Doesn't matter where you want to lose, you either lose it all over or not at all. There is no spot treatment for losing weight.

Not sure exactly as I don't follow it super close. If I had to guess it's probably in the 1500 range? It's mostly nuts, fish, chicken, salad, fruits for the most part. I drink plenty of water as well.
Track your calories, as suggested, with a tracker. Read the OP and figure out a proper macro breakdown. There is no magic bullet, no one size fits all solution, you'll need to learn to listen to your body. You've done excellent so far but if you are at a plateau, you need to figure out what is causing it and adjust, as necessary.

FUUUUU.....

Sciatic nerve pinched again. Yeah, old bones win this round. Taking the week off.
We all need to stop lifting weights, mang. You and I will be bedridden before the week is over :O

Carbonox

I haven't posted here in a long ass time as I stopped going to the gym for a while to focus on Football (not that it could have stopped me from going to the gym but hey ho I was a lesser man back then).

So I decided to "retire" from playing in January and returned to the gym quickly after. I kept in decent shape thanks to Football still so fortunately had a template of sorts to build upon again.

I rejigged my lifestyle in terms of diet and general structure (had a habit of late nights to fit in gaming, not brilliant sleeping, etc.) which was perfect timing due to a promotion that was coming up as well (which I got a couple of weeks ago). So things were kind of already on the up. I just had to put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

Dedication to my work and going to the gym has resulted in me feeling fantastic and enjoying my life again - I'm of the belief that general positivity in mentality and application to things can have positive results and I'm reaping the rewards so far. Other lifestyle changes have had great results on my general wellbeing as well. I feel good!

I plan on interacting in this thread a lot more as I'm making great progress back in the gym now. Better than I did on my first rodeo a couple of years back. I hit 200lbs on my bench press yesterday for the first time ever and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself again.

I have been reading this thread often despite not commenting, not being quite sure how to jump in again after so long but I'm glad I have now. Every now and then over time I'm reminded of how hard work can pay dividends thanks to all of you so thank you. It gives just enough of a nudge to keep me focused where goals in the gym are concerned.

Oh and I got told by a friend to start an Instagram (despite having interactions with it due to to my work it's the one social media platform I do not use on a personal level). How do you even fucking begin. :lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My daughter, who turned 13 three months ago and also started lifting 3 months ago just DL'd 205. She is pumped!

*I hit 515. On my way to getting it back.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Any of you guys use some kind of smartwatch or activity tracker? Would be in the market to find one that sort of automatically tracks when I'm cycling, jogging... Etc including the usual pedometer features :) maybe I should wait till Apple Watch 2 comes out and see if they got anything fancy going :p

Cooter

Thanks guys. It's very rewarding watching her experience the high of hitting a PR. Hard work paying off.

Szu

My daughter, who turned 13 three months ago and also started lifting 3 months ago just DL'd 205. She is pumped!

*I hit 515. On my way to getting it back.

Your little girl can officially DL more than me right now.

Don't tell her I called her "little girl", I don't want her to snap me like a twig.

Also, not to overlook your lift, but congrats to you too.

But you can understand that I find our kids accomplishments easily trump anything we do.

Cooter

Your little girl can officially DL more than me right now.

Don't tell her I called her "little girl", I don't want her to snap me like a twig.

Also, not to overlook your lift, but congrats to you too.

But you can understand that I find our kids accomplishments easily trump anything we do.
That's why I put the asterisk brother. It was far and away the highlight of the day.

Wag

The Cybex Arc trainer at my local Planet Fitness is awesome. It seems to be much easier on my knees than the elliptical, which causes a fair amount of pain.

The only thing is the Arc Trainers they use (Cybex 770A) don't do upper body, just lower. Is there any advantage to using an Arc trainer (like the 770AT) which has upper body motion over the lower body only models? I want to make sure I'm getting the best overall workout, but the elliptical (with moving arms) is just killing my knees.

Holy shit... talk about a weight bounceback. Cheat / recovery day yesterday and I put on a total of 8lbs in a single day. That's about a 6% increase in body weight for me.

New record, by some margin. lol

I think I'd better get drinking some water. :D

JoeNut

well i've had a week off due to being on holiday - am i ok to go straight back into where i was before weight wise, or should i take it easy for my first session?

KillerBEA

Great Chest focused upperbody day, killed it on Bench Press and OHP. Defo gonna be able to add weight to my 1 rep maxes next week on both. Hit my Triceps pretty hard too.

--

Side note. It was 3:45 am and it was just some lady I see every Mon/Wed and I in the gym. I had seen her hit some Leg Presses and do some other stuff in the gym (I really wasn't paying attention. I was focused on my workout). So while was doing some accessory she went to use the tanning machine. I was polishing off my workout with some Tricep Pulldowns and she approached me and told me not to judge her since she came in after me and was leaving before me. That she wasn't lazy. That she had hit Legs, Back, and laid down to Tan. I had barely noticed her besides the fact that she was there doing stuff. So I told her "I am not judging, you do what you do and and I will do what I do." and before I could finish my thought she left.

It blows my mind that she thinks I was judging her. She comes to gym and does her thing, who am I to judge?

Nipo

So I haven't lifted wright's in about 2 years and was just running during that time. Yesterday I did power snatch, deadlifts, hang cleans, and box jumps... I don't think I can get out of bed today.

20 somethings. Stay in shape now it is far easier than getting back in shape in your 30s.

No, doesn't sound normal. My guess is when you inhale and hold your breath you aren't holding it in your core, causing lightheadedness, headaches, etc. Takes a bit of practice to get breathing down to solidify your core without forcing the blood to your brain, especially when bent over.

How do you usually breathe when doing these?

I think I hold my breath wrong. Even during light reps I get dizzy

I think I hold my breath wrong. Even during light reps I get dizzy
You need to learn to tighten your core. When you inhale and hold your breath you aren't doing it for the sake of holding your breath, you do it to expand and tighten the core as the focus, especially while wearing a belt.

Hard to explain - just like "pull with your elbows" when it comes to rows, pullups, pulldowns, etc. Sounds stranger than it is.

Ugh, I think you guys have got it right about the cardio. Been trying to do my greasing the groove stuff today and I'm ruined.

Not sure if I can cope with a full on weights session, but I sort of have to force myself. Maybe something light?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
After reading the OP and the starting workout listed, I guess buying an adjustable dumbbell setup to start out with wouldn't cut it? lol.

I haven't done any strength training since a car accident I was in years ago. I feel like I've lost muscle mass and strength since then. I think the strength loss might be causing me to develop shoulder bursitis injuries at times well.

Ahem...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE_gcdAxYMb/

When I say I got that shit on lock... I got that shit on LOCK.

Mind y'all, this was the last 3 months of my bulk where I was at 4.5k+ calories/day and I still slammed my A1C. That's extremely tight control. BP is good, heart rate can be better, but I've always had a super fast heartrate my whole life.

He recommended me a good doc for my hip rubber banding/snapping so I'll have to schedule that up quick. Super excited otherwise. I'll deal with the hip but my diabetes control comes first. Based insulin pump, for sure.

bchamba

Feel good and bad about my squats today. Did 390 for a 2x2 and then an amrap of 3. I went for 4 and was like a quarter inch away from breaking past my sticking point but couldn't push through it. It's alright though because my previous 1 rep max was 390 and now being able to do it for doubles and a triple means I'm doing something right. I think we're all gonna make it bros.

Amrap set: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFAXUOeDi51/

Top Bottom