• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to upgrade Megadrive / Genesis Steam game hub. Adds Mod Support!

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
so if you have the amazon pack you can't import them to the new launcher?

This - is there a workaround for this?

I have a near-complete collection from that pack and I'd really hate to re-buy these games again (even at such a discount) just because they won't carry over.

This - is there a workaround for this?

I have a near-complete collection from that pack and I'd really hate to re-buy these games again (even at such a discount) because they won't work with each other.

If you have a Steam code, it should work just fine I would imagine.

I have a Sonic Genesis pack that I purchased from Humble Bundle and my games from that loaded into the new UI.

Can't wait to get back home and try this.

I haven´t been able to get my non-gamer girlfriend to play games, but I might get her attention with a few Sonic games (hopefully).

That's the thing, though. They didn't come with a Steam code. They're DRM free from Amazon, and yet the launcher is the same, and both my Genesis library from Steam and from Amazon merged together on the basic launcher, but not the Mega Hub.

www.amazon.com/SEGA-48-Game-Mega-Arcade-Download/

If you have the hub, for example buying the classics pack volume 1 on steam, can you then add your own roms like in this 48 pack? Or is that a not possible (or a violation)?

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
If you have the hub, for example buying the classics pack volume 1 on steam, can you then add your own roms like in this 48 pack? Or is that a not possible (or a violation)?

I have Sonic 3 & Knuckles (because that game is better than anything else Sega's made before or since) and Golden Axe via Steam, so I do have access. I tried importing a few ROMs but they didn't work. It must tag it based off of your Steam purchases.

Some people have been uploading ROMs through the Steam workshop as mods. For example, this Chinese Donkey Kong Country '99 bootleg has been uploaded as an Alex Kidd mod:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674706628&searchtext=

And the only way to play it is if you have Alex Kidd in your collection.

But I don't think there's a way to add your own ROMs.

Someone uploaded the Wolf 3D homebrew: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674761896&searchtext=

N3siFvv.png

The game requires WonderBoy.

Dizzy-4U

I messed around with it a little bit and it's really neat. Being able to have mods on the fly like the Alien Soldier at 60hz or Bare Knuckle 3 translated into english is really handy.

My only small complain is that you can either use the dpad or analog stick, not both at the same time. It's not a problem for me, but I might be changing that a lot when friends want to play.

I'm still struggling to see why Sega did this. Maybe an experiment for things to come? Hopefully Sega contact other developers to put their roms on this frontend.

RedToad64

This runs really poorly on my PC. My Xbox One controller is acting wonky, too.

So far my impressions are leaning on the negative side. Then again, this is a completely free update that came out of nowhere, so I can't complain too much.

So not like how it was possible with the old collection to import existing titles? Will have to poke around the folder structure, see what I can tinker with.

The classic launcher is still there as an option, so maybe you can still import games that way. But I don't know about the new MegaRoom loader.

Soooooooo, yeah, they are gonna have to curate the hell out of this. If they close the workshop for this I'm gonna be mad.

Edit: It was taken down. That was quick.

Yeah, we;re going to be seeing some problems here with people uploading commercial game ROM's, there was also a ROM of Shadow Run uploaded as well...

I have a feeling that the uploader might have removed it themselves just so they could add Contra Hardcorps to their collection. It's still going to remain in your Steam install folder after it is removed from the Workshop.

This is such a grey area... there is a Puyo Puyo mod for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine:

Technically this is just the Japanese ROM that replaces the original. Does this really count as a fan mod?

VariantX

Tried to use this with my arcade stick, ended up having to invert the up and down directions to get it working properly in games. Kind of a pain in the butt if you want to use a regular pad and will likely have to invert the controls again

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
Wait, so if I have an Amazon package it adds up to my Steam ones now?

Kind of? But not officially, no. The basic "simple" launcher that comes with the Steam versions of these games (SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive Classics) is the same one used by the DRM-free Amazon download, but the thing is that because they're DRM-free and not tied to a Steam account, they don't carry over from Amazon into your official Steam library. But through the simple launcher, you'll be able to play them because it's the same kind of software, and it's no big deal.

The problems start when you factor in the new Mega Drive Hub. The Amazon games will not be compatible with the Mega Drive Hub which appears to base its library entirely on your Steam purchases, so if you purchased, say, Sonic 2 on Amazon, you will not be able to play it in the virtual 90s room with mod/workshop support, only on the simple launcher.

GNNGzQ5.png

In other words, it wasn't an issue until the Mega Drive Hub existed and didn't support them.

Syril

Of course 90% of the romhacks are for Sonic games, the only ones I don't actually have on this. But hey, at least Streets of Rage 3 has a hack for translated Bare Knuckle III.
2479AB5C79ED6329694968136DC0B171A8D94076

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Soooooooo, yeah, they are gonna have to curate the hell out of this. If they close the workshop for this I'm gonna be mad.

Edit: It was taken down. That was quick.

AHHHHHHH. Damn it, I'm so late to this and I missed it!? FUCK.

Of course 90% of the romhacks are for Sonic games, the only ones I don't actually have on this. But hey, at least Streets of Rage 3 has a hack for translated Bare Knuckle III.

What's the difference? Putting The SoR3 script Sega did in BK3 and "uncensoring" it?

Krejlooc

Banned
Get it before it's gone, someone uploaded Thunder Force IV: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674907844

You need Gain Ground to play it though.

If you're going to do this, why wouldn't you just download the rom somewhere else and play it on another genesis emulator? What's the point of downloading roms like this in such a convoluted way?

The other stuff online is amazing. This is pretty incredible. They've turned some turds in the collection into really amazing stuff, like the Phantasy Star II bug fix patch, or Sonic 3 Complete. The Alien Soldier 60 fps hack in particular is awesome.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like that Backbone "HD" filter is forced on here now. I dunno why...

I can't say I'm a fan of the hub part, although it's definitely better than what it was before. Also not a fan of the tube-style TV instead of a flat screen.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If this is Unity, you'd think Mac support would be a cinch.

This is just me whining because I just reinstalled my Mac, and I don't have Boot Camp installed yet lol.

VariantX

2479AB5C79ED6329694968136DC0B171A8D94076

Yes, glad that exists. For some dumb reason they changed everyone's color palettes from what they originally were in the US version.

If you're going to do this, why wouldn't you just download the rom somewhere else and play it on another genesis emulator? What's the point of downloading roms like this in such a convoluted way?

I agree 100%, but there is just a novelty to it that you can download all of these ROM's from the Steam Workshop and play them on a commercial emulator. Really, if one wanted too, they could upload their entire Genesis collection through the uploader tool and just make it private.

Just being able to download some of these ROM's like Contra: Hard Corps and Thunder Force IV makes me wish there could be third party packages of games available to purchase for Sega's emulator. I would love to have the complete Konami collection of Genesis games (well maybe sans TMNT and Tiny Toons/ Animaniacs) in one package on Steam. If only they could package together Rocket Knight Adventures, Contra: Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines, Sunset Riders, Sparkster 2, Zombies Ate My Neighbors (though I think Lucas Arts owns this), and... I dunno... the Lethal Enforcer games(?) in one package, It could be great. But with the way Konami is, would they ever do it?

The other stuff online is amazing. This is pretty incredible. They've turned some turds in the collection into really amazing stuff, like the Phantasy Star II bug fix patch, or Sonic 3 Complete. The Alien Soldier 60 fps hack in particular is awesome.

I noticed that some mods are broken... the Golden Axe colour mod makes the screen go all red. But I am sure it will be sorted out. But still, it is awesome to play a Japanese version of Streets of Rage 3 in English, as well as a version of Revenge of Shinobi with the original unedited content. Alien Soldier at 60FPS is fantastic. This is an interesting idea that is not entirely perfect (very easy to upload commercial ROM's with little effort), but shows a lot of potential.

But at the same time, I still think the emulator could use a little more work. But it is a start.

Sorcerer

I messed around with it a little bit and it's really neat. Being able to have mods on the fly like the Alien Soldier at 60hz or Bare Knuckle 3 translated into english is really handy.

My only small complain is that you can either use the dpad or analog stick, not both at the same time. It's not a problem for me, but I might be changing that a lot when friends want to play.

I'm still struggling to see why Sega did this. Maybe an experiment for things to come? Hopefully Sega contact other developers to put their roms on this frontend.

Sega loves to resell these Genesis Games. Perhaps the effort and money spent to redo the front end was minimal and they get yet another chance to hawk these games once again.

So is this Mario hacked ROM legal or sega is going to remove them?

The people at Sega haven't taken it down yet. But I could only assume that the Donkey Kong Country '99 and Super Mario Bros. bootlegs fall under some sort of copyright infringement.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So SEGA is basically bringing Megadrive VC to Steam, that's dope as fuck.

Edit: Wow the launcher is cool as fuck, is there VR support? This shit is ripe for VR support. My 90s sense is tingling so hard right now.

Krejlooc

Banned
So SEGA is basically bringing Megadrive VC to Steam, that's dope as fuck.

Sega has sold classic genesis roms on steam for ages. It's just that now they've decided to clean up the presentation and update the emulator, and most importantly officially allow rom hacks through steam workshop.

I hope they open this up to Master System emulation soon enough.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sega has sold classic genesis roms on steam for ages. It's just that now they've decided to clean up the presentation and update the emulator, and most importantly officially allow rom hacks through steam workshop.

Well yeah, but this feels more than a "rom dump" and more like commitment to bring more games to Steam :p, didn't really make myself clear I guess.

"Streets of Rage 2 Except It Makes That Weird Tim Allen Noise When People Die"

Best. Mod. Ever.

MaLDo

I had a problem where the emulator itselft only showed blank screen in the new launcher. Deleting local data and redownloading again fixed the problem (the update downloaded only around 170 mb but the full download is higher than 400 mb so maybe the updating process is broken).

I think this model is pretty awesome and performance is perfect in my rig. I only need two additions:

- Shader compatibility. That HQx2 and scanlines are not enough at all.
- Better fullscreen mode. Currently the white grid around the TV is ugly as fuck.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I had a problem where the emulator itselft only showed blank screen in the new launcher. Deleting local data and redownloading again fixed the problem (the update downloaded only around 170 mb but the full download is higher than 400 mb so maybe the updating process is broken).

I think this model is pretty awesome and performance is perfect in my rig. I only need two additions:

- Shader compatibility. That HQx2 and scanlines are not enough at all.
- Better fullscreen mode. Currently the white grid around the TV is ugly as fuck.

You can hold Back and exit out the game and resume it and the grid is gone with just the TV model itself as an outline. It's not perfect though and no matter what you do I feel the pixels are squished, is there any way to get nearest neighbour scaling with the current state of things or should I just take the roms into a better emulator? :lol

Jebusman

Banned
So I know there's the weird fake CRT filter, but is there any fake overscan going on as well?

I know it always annoyed me seeing the very bottom of Sonic 2 in emulators because of the garbage data there, so I wouldn't mind an actual "simulated overscan" option.

Ash735

On the plus side, the amount of Games being pushed as "Hacks" is helping other titles to sell better funny enough.

Baleoce

uxq12gf.png

Isn't steam supposed to discount bundles that have already been part purchased? Or does it not stack on active discounts?

Baleoce

Aah thanks for the info! I'm gonna get it anyway, it's a good price and I'm happy they're supporting custom ROMs.

Top Bottom