• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero |OT| The Fox Awakens

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Saw this on Miiverse... what's the deal? "Motion Controls Always On"?

2Nt6OYl.jpg

NateDrake

Saw this on Miiverse... what's the deal? "Motion Controls Always On"?

2Nt6OYl.jpg
Yes. It means every movement of the Gamepad will cause the aiming cursor to move. The alternative is Motion Only On When Pressing ZR - meaning the cursor only moves when you are shooting or charging a shot.

ultrazilla

Man this is such a shame. I had held out holding onto my WiiU as I knew a brand new Star Fox was coming. The controls just sound so awful.

For anyone who's already played it-is it worth buying at this point? I've played pretty much all the Fox games from the Snes all the way up. I'd hate to miss this one but man the control situation does not sound good to me at all. :(

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Man this is such a shame. I had held out holding onto my WiiU as I knew a brand new Star Fox was coming. The controls just sound so awful.

For anyone who's already played it-is it worth buying at this point? I've played pretty much all the Fox games from the Snes all the way up. I'd hate to miss this one but man the control situation does not sound good to me at all. :(
I know the feeling. I forgot to cancel my pre order from Best Buy and it'll be here tomorrow, and I honestly thought about just keeping it and trying to adjust to the controls, but I've hated every single instance of motion controls I've ever tried, so I just don't see it changing with this. I've loved Star Fox since I was a kid during the days of the SNES, so it's so disappointing to have to pass on one after waiting for so long.

Social

I caved in and got it. Played 4 missions do far and I had fun. I'm still veeeery much getting used to the way the controls work though. It doesn't always work "for" me. But I'm sure it'll click at one point. I liked the gyrocopter parts too so far!

I really wanna like it but these controls man. KIU has nothing on this lol.

It just feels weird to me cause of all this gyro stuff and that makes me disappointed. Even when I turn off the gyro it feels like the game is trying to force me to turn it back on cause of the targeting and cinematic battles and enemy placement.

beril

bought it on a whim. Controls are generally fine in the on rail sections, or at least it feels like I could get used to them there; gyro feels good but switching between views still feels strange. But all range mode, which there's way too much of, feels horrible. Those sections sucked on N64 too and more complicated controls certainly doesn't make them more fun

Neiteio

I'm weirdly looking forward to this BECAUSE the controls sound batshit crazy

Like, I'm getting Steel Diver vibes from this, where the meta-challenge is just controlling the fucking thing

That kind of excites me, but in an era where most people couldn't figure out RE6 had sliding, this game is doomed

DOOOOOOOOOMED!

jwillenn

THEY DID IT, MUHFUGGAS!

:O :O :O

This game had me ^there^ with the opening training segment. Then I tackled the walker training. Then I proceeded to Corneria. I only got Silver and 1 medal, but holy smokes is this game intense! Controls are ENGAGING! Gah, this is perfect! If level design AT LEAST keeps up with Corneria Phase 1 and gets better at times, I'll be very pleased! Music is top notch so far!

Oh man...

I am going to see about playing Corneria over and over until I feel really comfortable with things. I'd like to get that Gold before moving on, but not bad for a first session.

YN12

Banned

I my opinion, yes, it is worth buying. It feels really nice to play SF at 60 frames (I know it has dips, but overall it feels really smooth and polished).

It can be played like SF64 for the most part. You can forget about tilting the gamepad while playing the on-rail sections, so it feels very SF64- like. The game is very busy, giving you lots of opportunities to shoot and things to collect ( powerups, bombs, medals, rings). It has that 'one more try' quality, where I find myself trying to perfect my run.

If you like older SF, this is easily as good as those, maybe even better.

Or course, if you hate on-rail shooters or you dont find arcade games interesting, skip it.

Amalthea

Banned
It's kinda cool how you still can destroy some enemies with the cockpit controls even if you already flew past them in the rail segments.

KingBroly

Banned
The Arwing controls are okay...

The Walker controls however... >_> <_<

I'm sure fans of Mega Man Legends will feel right at home with them.

YN12

Banned
The Arwing controls are okay...

The Walker controls however... >_> <_<

I'm sure fans of Mega Man Legends will feel right at home with them.

The walker controls like a mech essentially. You can Hover, and have the ability to shoot diretcly below as you are doing so. It feels complex, because there is so much that you can do. Essentially it feels like Steel Battallion, where you can move toward one direction while shooting in another.

Also, you can lock onto an enemy and sidestep right and left. The way the Walker jumps around really looks like a chicken! I love it.

I haven't played the game yet but I get the feeling that the controls are designed in mind for you to be holding it up in front of you so you can see both the TV and gamepad screens at the same time. I think you're supposed to sit like you're in the cockpit of the arwing and the controller you hold up and use to aim. Just my take, like I said I haven't played the game.

KingBroly

Banned
The controls...feel antiquated/old. Not necessarily bad, but I feel like they could've been designed like any third person shooter out there. At least for the Walker.

The All-Range mode stuff...I am like o_o O_O o_o o_O Not quite clicking with me. I set it to limited motion controls, but it still feels off.

I get that 'oh, the cockpit view gives you more of a viewing angle' but I'm not quite grasping it. I feel like if this was on a globe TV where you were in the middle in suspended animation the controls would be perfect, but as is...not...getting it.

For the Free Aim stuff, I wish I had a Wii Remote.

I'm weirdly looking forward to this BECAUSE the controls sound batshit crazy

Like, I'm getting Steel Diver vibes from this, where the meta-challenge is just controlling the fucking thing

That kind of excites me, but in an era where most people couldn't figure out RE6 had sliding, this game is doomed

DOOOOOOOOOMED!

After Kid Icarus Uprising and Wonderful 101, I AM READY!

Glick

Neo Member
Controls are surprisingly easy/intuitive. The only real "trick" is to tap Y periodically to re-center the gyro controls after a turn or perspective change.

Really feels like Starfox 64 with Platinum Games' more manic style of play. The only level I didn't like was
Zoness. That level is just boring and really feels like it doesn't fit with the rest of the game.

YN12

Banned
The controls...feel antiquated/old. Not necessarily bad, but I feel like they could've been designed like any third person shooter out there. At least for the Walker.

The All-Range mode stuff...I am like o_o O_O o_o o_O Not quite clicking with me. I set it to limited motion controls, but it still feels off.

I get that 'oh, the cockpit view gives you more of a viewing angle' but I'm not quite grasping it. I feel like if this was on a globe TV where you were in the middle in suspended animation the controls would be perfect, but as is...not...getting it.

For the Free Aim stuff, I wish I had a Wii Remote.

It definitely has a a learning curve. After trying story mode I went back to the training stages and practiced until I could comfortably beat them. Once I was able to do that, the controls kind of clicked. At least for the walker and the tank. The gyrowing on the other hand...still confused.

I'm done for tonight. I got killed twice on the same boss because I'm trying to fight the controls.

I'm not feeling this at all. The all range Landmaster and Gyrowing controls I don't like at all. Arwing's okay.

And I hate the cinematic camera in this so much. I'm flying around focusing on an enemy when the camera swings to the other side of the battlefield suddenly and I fly into an object and get hit.

Not like this Star Fox. Not like this...

It definitely has a a learning curve. After trying story mode I went back to the training stages and practiced until I could comfortably beat them. Once I was able to do that, the controls kind of clicked. At least for the walker and the tank. The gyrowing on the other hand...still confused.
The stupid thing is that every vehicle has different controls, making it very frustrating to adapt everytime. But again, every time you replay a stage you'll feel better.

KingBroly

Banned
Yes. It means every movement of the Gamepad will cause the aiming cursor to move. The alternative is Motion Only On When Pressing ZR - meaning the cursor only moves when you are shooting or charging a shot.

How does one change this after doing the tutorial?

Few thoughts and impressions -

"Thanks Fox, I thought they had me..." had a way more haunting delivery in SF64, in Zero it has way less impact. Shame. Other than that the voicing feels spot on, have caught myself grinning a few times at the 64 references in the dialogue.

Control-wise... it's definitely gonna take some time for me to become more like my father. I can see the potential there and want to get better, but stuff like jumping between the screens for precision aiming and clumsy rolling with the Walker really take me out of the experience. The moments when it all clicks together are becoming more frequent though, so here's hoping.

I switch between motion controls always on and only on when aiming. Both seem alright for different situations.

No issues with the visuals, they're nothing remarkable for sure but in many ways the subdued style fits well with the old school arcade gameplay. Dips in the frame rate are really noticible when large ships explode but that's all I've come across so far.

Might also have to mess with my usual volume settings as it feels like I'm missing a load of the stage BGM because all I can hear is the character chatter and sound effects from the gamepad.

I'm actually having fun learning the controls.

You want to have the cockpit view on the TV when using the arwing. I see it like the cockpit view is me behind the steering wheel and the third person camera as the rear view mirror. You want to focus on aiming and steering and every now and then you want to take note of your surroundings.

The walker I'm having trouble figuring out. I play it in third person but I still aim using gyro. Movement is a pain in the butt though.

The gyrowing is super easy to control. I don't understand the issues people are having. The left analogue stick moves you and the right turns and changes altitudes. It's sort of like a tank in the air or a helicopter. Holding ZL is super helpful when descending.

Haven't used the landmaster yet.

You have to go into this game knowing that there is a learning curve and wanting to learn it.

BooJoh

I'm enjoying the game, but I'd be enjoying it more with traditional controls. I think the Landmaster and all-range dogfights are affected most. I had a lot of trouble with those. The Gyrowing is pretty cool and I really liked the "stealth" level in that. I feel like that probably could have been its own separate game with its slower pacing and more puzzle oriented level layouts.

I don't know if I'll adapt to the controls more as I play, but I think the game succeeds where Assault and Command didn't, but the controls keep it behind StarFox 64 for me.

I just finished Sector &#947; and that level kicked my butt like 3 times before I finally cleared it.
I finally just ignored Great Fox's drone damage and went all-out on the missiles to clear the stage before Great Fox went down.

adroit

Sorry to whine. These are just my initial impressions and they may be due to my ignorance about how SFZ works or can be configured to work.

I despise vehicle view. The reticle is calibrated for the craft, not the player controlling the craft from behind. The reticle in Splatoon was calibrated for the player, not the player's avatar.

So to get a useful reticle on the TV I have to switch to cockpit view with the "-" button. Using the GamePad screen for action is ludicrous. I won't do it. I'm playing a game on a TV console. I'm not going to play action on a tiny screen on the controller. The way that games like Splatoon, Xeno Chron X, and Mario Kart 8 use the GamePad screen is absolutely fine and very beneficial.

The reticle seems to drift out of calibration very easily. I never had a problem with that in Splatoon but maybe that was because I was routinely using the stick to make large changes and the gyro to make small adjustments. So I was basically constantly recalibrating without realizing it. I found the Splatoon gyro control extremely intuitive.

Again, sorry for whining. I'm obviously a n00b.

Sorry to whine. These are just my initial impressions and they may be due to my ignorance about how SFZ works or can be configured to work.

I despise vehicle view. The reticle is calibrated for the craft, not the player controlling the craft from behind. The reticle in Splatoon was calibrated for the player, not the player's avatar.

So to get a useful reticle on the TV I have to switch to cockpit view with the "-" button. Using the GamePad screen for action is ludicrous. I won't do it. I'm playing a game on a TV console. I'm not going to play action on a tiny screen on the controller. The way that games like Splatoon, Xeno Chron X, and Mario Kart 8 use the GamePad screen is absolutely fine and very beneficial.

The reticle seems to drift out of calibration very easily. I never had a problem with that in Splatoon but maybe that was because I was routinely using the stick to make large changes and the gyro to make small adjustments. So I was basically constantly recalibrating without realizing it. I found the Splatoon gyro control extremely intuitive.

Again, sorry for whining. I'm obviously a n00b.

Nothing wrong with that, I think the sensitivity of the game is tuned quite high, so that in and of itself is something to manage which is why the gyro when firing is the preferred option.

BooJoh

I just got my first taste of the Gravmaster. I hate it with a passion. I managed to get a gold rank on the level but I don't know how since I was wrestling with trying to control the Gravmaster and barely survived. The fact that it controls like an arwing just felt so weird in all-range mode since I was expecting it to control like the Gyrowing. Very unintuitive.

The boss of that level was pretty cool though.

CrisKre

Im in love with this game. Its the sequel I always wanted since the original. Just sublime, there is literally nothing that plays like this while still feeling like StarFox.

Also, the bosses are TOUGH! And i might add is the most arcade-y game of the series.

All range mode now is so much fun, while it was a bit of a slog on 64.

Buy this gaf!

KingBroly

Banned
BTW, you can turn off the 3D (Gamepad) audio if you want to, but you wouldn't know that reading Polygon's "review" of the game.

Top Bottom