• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What someone in VR looks like when legit SHOOK.

Gren

At one point she almost wrapped the wires around herself from spinning in place, but had the presence of mind to move one of her legs before it happened.

Not that I could afford room-scale VR, but I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon as I live alone & couldn't guarantee being as perceptive. One unfortunate accident & my body wouldn't be discovered for days, lol.

Durante

Yep, never going to do anything remotely horror-like in VR.

Yeah like.... The Vive sounds amazing in theory, but that cord seems like it'd be a real roadblock to developing anything with extensive movement.
It's not really a huge deal even without a complex mounting solution. Some of the best room-scale VR games feature extensive movement and the cable is a minor annoyance at worst. (In very rotation-intensive games you might have to "unwind" a bit every 2 hours or so but that's it)

UrbanRats

Only played dreadhalls on the gear vr.
It augments things a bit, in the sense that if I was playing it on a monitor I'd be yawning, but it still isn't something that traumatic.
I think I got legit spook only once, after playing for a few hours.

I can see a better game, with PT like graphics and better designed, being legit scary though.
As a horror fan, it is a very exciting prospect.

The lady in the OP seems to be someone who really can't handle even a modicum of horror, can't really relate personally, but I know people like that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
At one point she almost wrapped the wires around herself from spinning in place, but had the presence of mind to move one of her legs before it happened.

Not that I could afford room-scale VR, but I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon as I live alone & couldn't guarantee being as perceptive. One unfortunate accident & my body wouldn't be discovered for days, lol.

That cable becomes a second nature for a lot of people after using VR for some time. Actually I (and others on Reddit too) got even the phantom cable syndrome at one point (I could feel the cable on my back for some minutes) after I took out Vive.

artsi

That cable becomes a second nature for a lot of people after using VR for some time. Actually I (and others on Reddit to) got even the phantom cable syndrome at one point (I could feel the cable on my back for some minutes) after I took out Vive.

Yeah definitely, I'm at work and I can sometimes feel the cable on my back, lol.

One thing about the cable I really don't like is how rigid it is, especially noticing it with seated games. Hopefully it gets softer in use.

Stimpack

Lol, people get scared at movies in theatres with over a hundred people. You don't think playing a video game with your FoV being the game itself would be terrifying?
I say the same thing when people get scared at movies. It's a movie, settle down.

This is why I think co-op horror games are going to be huge. Co-op cuts the intensity which has been a problem with normal horror games because they simply stopped being horror at that point. However in VR that lowered intensity could push the experience back down into the comfort/fun zone for a mass audience while at the same time building a sense of comradely never yet experienced in games.

I'd love to see how this game plays out with 2-4 players. There is a lot of potential here provided the graphics can handle the extra load. There could be melee characters who can teleport and dish out a great deal of damage but at short range. There could be a base building mechanic to put up barriers and traps for people who don't like shooting.

Once you've got the base intensity which this game seems to nail, anything you add on top of that is just gravy.

Wollan

"Renate... I think we're going to receive a neighbor complaint"
"It sounds like someone's getting murdered"
"I will be surprised if the neighbor doesn't knock on the door"

Gren

This is why I think co-op horror games are going to be huge. Co-op cuts the intensity which has been a problem with normal horror games because they simply stopped being horror at that point. However in VR that lowered intensity could push the experience back down into the comfort/fun zone for a mass audience while at the same time building a sense of comradely never yet experienced in games.

I'd love to see how this game plays out with 2-4 players. There is a lot of potential here provided the graphics can handle the extra load. There could be melee characters who can teleport and dish out a great deal of damage but at short range. There could be a base building mechanic to put up barriers and traps for people who don't like shooting.

Once you've got the base intensity which this game seems to nail, anything you add on top of that is just gravy.

I'd imagine you might get a whole lot of these guys in a VR horror co-op situation:

latest

Myself included.

Fret

You moved the goalpost after your gotcha post didn't work.🙄

I fathom to ask if you've tried it.

wat

my reply was a continuation of what i was saying, if you haven't tried roomscale vr then you have no idea what you're talking about. moving what goalposts?

and yeah, i've had my vive for about a week now.

bj00rn_

Banned
"Scary" movies and games don't phase me. Especially movies as I know every bit of them is fake and it's just actors. I actually find horror movies incredibly boring. I don't watch them at all anymore.

I'm an engineer at heart and need to know how everything works. And that often tend to destroy "the illusion". So I used to be like you, and until a point where everything started to annoy me really bad. It got so bad that I started to apply it to other media, and sometimes even real life situations. I was so fucking jaded in every respect I started to annoy myself..

Then a thought suddenly hit me: What's the point, what am I trying to prove to myself? What am I getting out of putting myself "out of the experience"? As a child when reading fairytales and books I would easily immerse myself to get a great experience, so I asked myself why the fuck am I not doing the same now, but even deliberately deprive myself of something that could be enjoyable?? So I decided to start try to relearn how to relax and flow with the river instead of go upstream.

Since then things have gotten better. Not the same as I was when a child of course, but better. I've slowly learned to relax and let myself be more immersed. And now I can even watch a good crafted horror movie and at least get something out of it. No regrets about trying to turn it around.

Matthew23

Horror in the theater doesn't bother me. Home alone at night, in the dark, with headphones can be a bit eerie. I imagine horror VR games would amplify that feeling to the point of needing a drink to even step into that world. There is no way I would put my wife through this, she would literally be traumatized.

dity

wat

my reply was a continuation of what i was saying, if you haven't tried roomscale vr then you have no idea what you're talking about. moving what goalposts?

and yeah, i've had my vive for about a week now.
You were all hurr hurr never tried VR and when that fell through you got all specific. I have tried a bunch of trippy VR shit and reckon she's putting it on. You know what you should do? Not care. Done VR on more than one occasion and I'm not convinced. There.

You haven't tried VR, have you.

Is this the default assumption if someone doesn't hold the same opinion about something VR related as everyone else in awe?

Marlenus

Besides the possibility of heart attacks, I wonder if things like this can end up being really traumatic in the long run. People have talked about how their VR experiences blend in with their real memories.

There is research into using VR to do the opposite and try and help people cope better with their phobias so it seems very likely that the inverse could be true.

Also memory is so broken. There was an experiment where they managed to convince people that they had been on a hot air balloon and the subjects started 'remembering' details of an event that had never even happened. link

Chao

That didn't look scary at all. Her over reaction was somewhat annoying, is she screaming for youtube clicks?

eloxx

all these "that doesn't look scary" comments. so amusing. the immersive feeling of VR is like nothing you can experience elsewhere. the fear is real.

i will also stay away from everything horror in VR. give me experiences like Adr1ft or Robinson: The Journey and i will be happy.

You may laugh, but this is what police in America have to go through in America EVERY DAY.

People with dehumanising stares, walking with purpose and ignoring the officers screams in every which direction they should choose to look.

Having to shoot at everything that looks threatening.

You can't really blame them.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
You may laugh, but this is what police in America have to go through in America EVERY DAY.

People with dehumanising stares, walking with purpose and ignoring the officers screams in every which direction they should choose to look.

Common man.

Chao

all these "that doesn't look scary" comments. so amusing. the immersive feeling of VR is like nothing you can experience elsewhere. the fear is real.

i will also stay away from everything horror in VR. give me experiences like Adr1ft or Robinson: The Journey and i will be happy.

Maybe if the game is immersive / realistic enough. Would you be scared of Resident Evil 1 graphics on VR too?

dity

Ok, I laughed.

Markoman

Ok, VR pretty much confirms that women are useless in a Zombie apocalypse.
Their high pitched screaming and hectic behaviour will only attract more Zombies.

Don't kill me. Just kidding....they are useful!
as bait or distraction, so you can manage to escape.....Just kidding.

[Attention! Poor man's 90s stand-up comedy routine incoming]

I guess we need someone to cook and wash even in a Zombie apocalypse.

;P

bj00rn_

Banned
Maybe if the game is immersive / realistic enough. Would you be scared of Resident Evil 1 graphics on VR too?

Why are people immersed by books, it's just some ink on paper.. Your words are pieced together like juvenile rhetoric. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion per se, but people coming over here to do nothing more than try to prove to others how tough or jaded they are is completely uninteresting and tiring to the rest of the people in the thread.

Fret

You were all hurr hurr never tried VR and when that fell through you got all specific. I have tried a bunch of trippy VR shit and reckon she's putting it on. You know what you should do? Not care. Done VR on more than one occasion and I'm not convinced. There.

lmao what?

If you haven't tried roomscale VR with the Vive, you have literally no idea what you're talking about. Whats so hard to understand about that

Shane

Outlast VR.

You have to hide in the room (underneath tables/in cupboards).
No weapons. Just that night vision camera.

Don't think I could handle that myself if they made it.

GeoGonzo

If you think she's faking you clearly either don't understand VR, don't understand people, don't understand acting or some combination of the above.

Some people see a T. Rex walking towards them in VR and simply look at it. Some people duck out of the way. Some people scream and instantly bail out. None of them is faking anything.

Top Bottom