• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Symphony - Music from Final Fantasy VI, VII and X coming to the US in July

JordanKZ

VIII has been performed in Final Symphony 2. Maybe they will perform that one in the US as well at some point :p

Went to the London one, their rendition of Waltz on the Moon is legitimately incredible. Hopefully the CD will come out at some bloody point. :(

Zhao_Yun

Went to the London one, their rendition of Waltz on the Moon is legitimately incredible. Hopefully the CD will come out at some bloody point. :(

Yeah, I am also hoping that they will announce a CD soon :(
I found a low quality recording from one of the attendees, but it doesn't do the quality of the arrangements any justice.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I just wanted to post some impressions from this last night in SF.

+ The musicianship and sound quality was through the roof. This was my first time at an actual symphony and it was really memorable.
+ The arrangements were diverse and well done. Each one told a bit of a story in itself instead of just playing through the same themes that everyone knew
+ The final Fantasy 6 medley that kept alternating from Kefka's and Terra's themes was the best piece of the night. Just really really good and great range in tempo and timbre.
+ One Winged Angel arrangement was well done, and pretty powerful.

- The song selection for pretty much the rest of the show was rather disappointing. Please note that this is coming from a Final Fantasy fan, so I was mainly disappointed that they didn't hit on all of the great and memorable tracks from arguably 3 of the strongest OSTs in the series. The FFVII selections particularly. I'm sure the songs chosen for the arrangements made more sense from a symphony viewpoint though, so I get it.

Overall it was a really positive experience, and there were moments where I was grinning like a little kid. If I had one suggestion moving forward it would be to break up the slower songs with some of the more famous up-tempo pieces.
While I'm sure it sounded nice and all, taking two of the very best themes from the soundtrack and relegating them to a medley is fucking criminal.

Also, I am never satisfied with the song selection in any of these things. It's a shame because I'm sure I'd love such concerts, but yeah, it seems inevitable that the song selection is going to suck. :\

Zhao_Yun

While I'm sure it sounded nice and all, taking two of the very best themes from the soundtrack and relegating them to a medley is fucking criminal.

Also, I am never satisfied with the song selection in any of these things. It's a shame because I'm sure I'd love such concerts, but yeah, it seems inevitable that the song selection is going to suck. :\

You can actually listen to the FFVI arrangement here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJi5QSxJbw

I feel that medley is the wrong word to describe this piece. It's not just a simple sequence of different tracks, but an attempt to create a musical story by combining different themes from the game into one coherent piece of music. It might not fit everyone's tastes, but it is a valid approach and far from criminal. At least for me this is much more interesting than simply orchestrating certain tracks from the soundtrack :)

Top Bottom