• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

BennyBlanco
aka IMurRIVAL69
(04-24-2016, 10:27 PM)

“To be honest, the politically correct answer is yes, it is sad [to finish Geralt’s story]. But the truth is that everyone is so insanely pumped about working on the next project, Cyberpunk 2077 ,” said Jose Teixeira, a visual effects artist for CD Projekt RED. “We’ve could’ve made a million expansions for The Witcher because there’s so many stories in that world but everyone is crazy excited about Cyberpunk 2077.”

“The most important thing that’s happening at the moment is that the programmers are taking the feedback we gave them from working on The Witcher . As cliche as it sounds it was a big learning experience,” he said, explaining that by the end of the development everyone had a list of features they wanted for new dev tools. “The programmers are updating our software quite drastically.”

This includes a brand new visual effects editor, which Teixeira is very excited about. He admits that he’s got a little more enthusiasm for the upcoming project than he did for The Witcher 3 . For him, Cyberpunk 2077 represents a chance to explore a genre he finds more interesting.

“I immensely appreciate medieval fantasy games,” he said. “ But I don’t know what it is about Cyberpunk 2077 but it just clicks. There’s something about this game that just clicks with me and I’m really happy to be working on it.”

Cyberpunk 2077 is scheduled for release sometime in the next four years , so don’t hold your breath for any big announcements in the near future.

See you in 2020.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/cyberpu...-begins-529132
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(04-24-2016, 10:28 PM)
They're also hiring a ton of Director/Lead/Senior staff for the game, so I believe them that it probably hasn't entered full production.

Lead Writer: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/lead-writer/
Senior Game Designer: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/senior-game-designer/
Lead Level Designer: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/lead-level-designer/
Lead Quest Designer: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/lead-quest-designer/
Senior Multiplayer Designer: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/seni...ayer-designer/

And then there's less specific jobs for things like Art Director and Audio Director, and the above list is hardly exhaustive.
SpiceOrange
They haven't started it yet? It was announced in 2012...
Kevin
What? I thought this game was far into development. They are just now starting it? lol
funkystudent
(04-24-2016, 10:29 PM)
Fun fact.

Cyberpunk 2077 was announced a month BEFORE Witcher 3 Wild Hunt was officially announced.
Alucrid
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin

What? I thought this game was far into development. They are just now starting it? lol

what gave you that impression?
Averon

Originally Posted by SheepyGuy

Still working on Witcher 3 content?

How large is CDPR?
ArgyleGamer
Damn, and here I thought they were a decent way into production.
Rellik
(04-24-2016, 10:30 PM)
So that's what the 2077 really means.

Can't wait to play this on my PS9
RoyaleDuke
Banned
(04-24-2016, 10:30 PM)
Four years.

FOUR FUCKING YEARS.

Damn. :(
Linkstrikesback
(04-24-2016, 10:31 PM)
Didn't it look like, according to some recruitment advertisements that they were intending on still working on the witcher franchise too?

Cyberpunk 2026 release looking likely, at any rate.
ironcreed
Banned
We need more Witcher... period. Although I am still excited for this.
GaussTek

Originally Posted by funkystudent

Fun fact.

Cyberpunk 2077 was announced a month BEFORE Witcher 3 Wild Hunt was officially announced.

Yeah, they screwed it up by announcing it so early (IMO).
Lactose_Intolerant

Originally Posted by Nirolak

They're also hiring a ton of Director/Lead/Senior staff for the game, so I believe them that it probably hasn't entered full production.

Going by glassdoor, that was one area they were severely lacking. Even during Witcher 3 production.
Amagon
(04-24-2016, 10:32 PM)
Are we sure the release date isn't 2077?
Gemüsepizza

Originally Posted by Kevin

The title of the article sounds more like an interpretation by the author. Just because they are improving their tools after Witcher 3, doesn't mean they haven't started development for Cyberpunk 2077 already.
Rellik

Originally Posted by ironcreed

We need more Witcher... period. Although I am still excited for this.

We've had 3 of them over many years with expansions. Time for something new, and then go back to Witcher.
BeauRoger
(04-24-2016, 10:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Lactose_Intolerant

Going by glassdoor, that was one area they were severely lacking. Even during Witcher 3 production.

Interesting. Source? :)
twobear
sputum-flecked apoplexy
i see there's been some confusion, u see, the game is actually just called 'Cyberpunk', the original trailer gave the name and the release date but someone forgot the comma separating them
Nirolak
Mrgrgr

Originally Posted by Lactose_Intolerant

They seem to be hiring a full set of leads for each studio now.
giant_frying_pan
Good games with a large scope take a long time to develop.

Take as long as you need, CDP:R.
RipperGrim
2020 release date.....
serenewarfare
Banned

Originally Posted by GaussTek

IIRC, they used that trailer to attract talent to work on the game. It was more of a recruitment trailer than a hype thing (though it did build hype).
maquiladora
The headline is misleading. At no point in the article do any of the quotes suggest that they haven't starting working on Cypebunk 2077 yet, just that "the programmers are taking the feedback we gave them from working on The Witcher" and "The programmers are updating our software quite drastically".
ironcreed
Banned

Originally Posted by Rellik

We've had 3 of them over many years with expansions. Time for something new, and then go back to Witcher.

Indeed, but TW3 is what put them on the mainstream map. They are not going to ignore that. But I also can't wait to see what they do here.
RoKKeR
Why did they announce this game when they did. Why.
Bizzquik
(04-24-2016, 10:34 PM)
Fantastic news. I look forward to playing it on my PS6.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr

Originally Posted by RoKKeR

Why did they announce this game when they did. Why.

To help hire staff to the studio.
Wagram
Take all the time they need. Witcher 3 was ungodly massive and offered like 20x the content of a normal game.
antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias
(04-24-2016, 10:35 PM)
Talk about announced too fucking early, jeez.

I feel like this game should have been announced in 2018 or so.
A-V-B
If they can hit a 2076 release date, they can make it a yearly sports series.
kanuuna
2020? Good, I'll be able to save for a new PC.
BennyBlanco
aka IMurRIVAL69

Originally Posted by maquiladora

The headline is misleading. At no point in the article do any of the quotes suggest that they haven't starting working on Cypebunk 2077 yet, just that "the programmers are taking the feedback we gave them from working on The Witcher" and "The programmers are updating our software quite drastically".

it's the headline of the article
Corpsepyre
Senior Multiplayer Designer? ....Yikes.
Tenacious-D

Originally Posted by Averon

Still working on Witcher 3 content?

How large is CDPR?

I believe 400ish, expected to grow to 600 in the next fiscal year/s.

To the guys who are surprised by about this, Cyperpunk has been in pre-production / design phase since it was announced. Some people think it's strange that it's been there for so long, but it's really not. TW3 started pre-prodution at the same time as TW2 did. They were done together. Then obviously, most resources went to full production for TW2, and when the EE was finished, the team moved onto full production for TW3, which took 3-ish years.

CDPR also has an unannounced game in the works. So I expect part of the workforce is working on that. They're more than welcome to take their time on Cyperpunk.

Originally Posted by BeauRoger

Interesting. Source? :)

Here.

"Games out of Chaos" "Crunch central" "A lot to improve on"
Ikuu
Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Originally Posted by GaussTek

Screwed what up.
Zojirushi
(04-24-2016, 10:36 PM)
Lol and here I was getting ready for an E3 announcement and a 2017 release.
Zukkoyaki
(04-24-2016, 10:37 PM)
Cyberpunk has almost certainly been in pre-production. I imagine they're going to shift the bulk of their development to it once Blood and Wine is out similar to what Guerrilla did with Killzone and Horizon.

They also mentioned a little while ago that they intend to have another AAA game out by the end of 2021. Seems like they want to go the two team route.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr

Originally Posted by Corpsepyre

Senior Multiplayer Designer? ....Yikes.

That's about ~3+ year old news at this point.

Even all the designer jobs have it: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/senior-game-designer/

- Extensive knowledge of current game design trends, specifically in Action/RPG area
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work and be efficient within a team
- At least one AAA RPG title shipped
- Experience with narrative, multiplayer, and/or shooters will be a plus.

Plus it's based on a table top game, which are generally multiplayer experiences.
Wagram
This is speculation, but I really do believe the success of Witcher 3 caught them off guard. They expected it to do well, but it did really well; so Witcher 4 (with Ciri/someone else entirely) likely was pushed higher on the to do list.
Terbinator
A good day to bury bad news, huh?
dc89
The announcement seemed so long ago now, but we've still got a long time to wait. Gah.
etta
my hard graphic balls

Originally Posted by SheepyGuy

Yea, what the hell...
Although I guess they could've done some character/story work by now.
KyanMehwulfe
(04-24-2016, 10:38 PM)
My impression was that it was just conceptual design... a lot of design docs and trying to decide on 'what' to create, but all the actual programming or 'asset creation' still focused on Witcher 3. It's based on a rather elaborate RPG ruleset so they the core design leads would probably want a rather similarly elaborate and reviewed design framework before they start invested into the actual development. So, a few design guys doing design while basically all the programmers and artists are still on Witcher 3, finishing up all the content through to Blood & Wine.

A more elaborate pre-development planning phase and overhauled development tools suits me fine because I rather the game be 'right' and two years late. For most games, maybe not... but for the 'right' Shadowrun, Neuromancer, Deus Ex, or Cyberpunk 2020 (2077) game? I'll wait.
ThePeoplesBureau
(04-24-2016, 10:38 PM)
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(04-24-2016, 10:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Wagram

This is speculation, but I really do believe the success of Witcher 3 caught them off guard. They expected it to do well, but it did really well; so Witcher 4 (with Ciri/someone else entirely) likely was pushed higher on the to do list.

As far as I can tell, they actually had to dismantle the two team idea in order to finish The Witcher 3 pretty early on, so that pushes everything back.

This is similarly why Mass Effect: Andromeda isn't out right now.
Phamit
(04-24-2016, 10:39 PM)
They said they don't want to talk about the game until 2017, so this isn't a surprise
Ghostmaster
(04-24-2016, 10:40 PM)
Wait...they are just now hiring a lead writer for the game?? What? Shouldn't that be one of the few things that you can work on even while you're working on the Witcher 3.
_machine
As people explained, the announcement was more of a "we will eventually be making a game like this" to drive staffing, their branding and possibly securing additional financing. The Cyberpunk at that point was just a trailer, there was absolutely nothing in terms of game, but it also really seemed to succeed in terms of staffing and studio brand. I believe they have even shed some of the staff originally working on the announcement (among bleeding other talent during the way).
KyanMehwulfe
Cyberpunk 2077.

Launch date Los Angeles, 2020.