• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK Playmore changes name to SNK.

I haven't played many SNK games, but it warms my heart to see a prodigal son return. Fingers crossed that Konami's pachinko business starts to deteriorate as well.

I wonder if we will ever get a new Metal Slug game, at least a collection of all the previous games on PS4/PC/X1 would be nice

I love that franchise and Metal Slug 3 is one of my favorite games ever since I was a kid

I know it´s stupid, but I can't help to feel happy about it.

It´s really nice seeing a classic company trying to recover its past.

It's pretty great especially coming from Konami falling out of game making to double down on gambling nonsense. SNK is pretty much doing the exact opposite because said gambling nonsense was not profitable anymore.

I haven't played many SNK games, but it warms my heart to see a prodigal son return. Fingers crossed that Konami's pachinko business starts to deteriorate as well.

Konami also does slot machines outside of Japan.

Playmore is weird. SNK's IPs went up for bid after they went bankrupt, so their CEO simply created another company (Playmore), bought the IPs, went around hiring up most of their former employees, and then renamed it SNK Playmore. It's essentially the same company.

Thanks for beating me to quoting their Wikipedia page on what Playmore was for SNK. I'm glad they did what they did back then, and I love they're back to "The Future Is Now."

Welcome back to the King.

I cut my teeth on Street Fighter 2 in the Arcade, but there was a Neo Geo MVS right there next to it, and I was playing World Heroes/World Heroes 2 and Fatal Fury right alongside it.

I wonder if we will ever get a new Metal Slug game, at least a collection of all the previous games on PS4/PC/X1 would be nice

I love that franchise and Metal Slug 3 is one of my favorite games ever since I was a kid

Release MS 1-7 on Steam.

Actually complete MS5.

That's all I want.

SgtCobra

Call Ono. It's time.

maxresdefault.jpg
HNNNNGGGGGG

Not according to some PAX impressions for the new KOF I saw on Twitter...

What's this now?

They must've gotten tired of being mixed up with Attack on Titan and rightfully taking their acronym back. Damn, it's awesome to see them coming back so strong.

As if anyone called them SNK Playmore anyway.

SNK fo lyfe

I remember in the early Playmore days, there was this HUGE misconception that Playmore was just new fledgling company who had absolutely no relation to the old SNK besides a couple old staff members and was trying to cash in on SNK properties. I remember the stigma on the Neo-Geo community where they were seen as this greedy company who just wanted to make a quick buck by raping the corpse of the old SNK, but then G4 came out with their great Icons episode on SNK which shed a lot of light on the situation. Between that and really solid games like KOF XI, I noticed most of the "crapmore" complaints really died down.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Playmore is weird. SNK's IPs went up for bid after they went bankrupt, so their CEO simply created another company (Playmore), bought the IPs, went around hiring up most of their former employees, and then renamed it SNK Playmore. It's essentially the same company.

I never understood why people don't acknowledge this. That's one of the best "Lost everything, BUT NOW I'M BACK!" stories ever.

For someone to watch their company fragment, bide their time, and then pull it ALL BACK TOGETHER like that is just nuts. Could you imagine a company like HUDSON pulling something like that, and getting their name, IPs, and staff back from the bowels of Konami?

This new rebranding just solidifies how oddly eternal this company is. They seem to be able to find themselves, or reform themselves through things that should CONSTANTLY KILL THEM, and cause them to lose identity. Even getting bought by another company seems to be just letting them... return to strength, rather than fade into someone else's image of them.

Welcome back, SNK! *TheKingHasReturned.gif* Indeed.

Haha, 2016 and still people thinks Playmore was a Korean/Chinese thing. Playmore was SNK, the same president and guys, they need to create another company in order to survive and get the rights of their games from Aruze in around 2003.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Keep releasing catalogue games, make a great new metal slug. Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The future is now indeed. Can't wait for KOF XIV
on Steam

Oh shit!!! It's on now!

Street Fighter is floundering a bit atm... Perfect time for an OG like SNK to start regulatin'. Capcom needs a kick in the pants.

Gren

I remember in the early Playmore days, there was this HUGE misconception that Playmore was just new fledgling company who had absolutely no relation to the old SNK besides a couple old staff members and was trying to cash in on SNK properties. I remember the stigma on the Neo-Geo community where they were seen as this greedy company who just wanted to make a quick buck by raping the corpse of the old SNK, but then G4 came out with their great Icons episode on SNK which shed a lot of light on the situation. Between that and really solid games like KOF XI, I noticed most of the "crapmore" complaints really died down.
Really? I can understand those less familiar with SNK having such views, but not the enthusiasts on N-G.com.

In fact I'm fairly sure I learned of the Kawasaki rebranding from N-G.com regulars (though it could've also very well been MadMan's Cafe as well).

EDIT: Maybe they confused it with the whole Eolith Aruze venture that took place before?

EDIT 2: Haha, even I'm getting bits of SNK's tumultuous history mixed up.

Renekton

Oh shit!!! It's on now!

Street Fighter is floundering a bit atm... Perfect time for an OG like SNK to start regulatin'. Capcom needs a kick in the pants.
Lots of famous KOF vets appeared in recent SFV tournaments. Once KOF14 comes out, we can see them dumping SFV and returning to the series.

What's this now?

Funny enough this is still a thing, specially in latin america. There are still a lot of haters who complain about """how Playmore ruins SNK forever""", is like a lost war... until now, i guess.

Loona

673.gif

kof99art-56.png

They must've gotten tired of being mixed up with Attack on Titan and rightfully taking their acronym back.

Ah, yes - that issue still needs to be dealt with, but I'll be damned if this isn't a great first step to set things right..

I'd love nothing more than to be able to move https://www.reddit.com/r/SNKplaymore/ to the annoying redirect-only https://www.reddit.com/r/SNK that sends people to the Shingeki no Kyojin board, and it's not like I haven't tried... maybe this'll strengthen the case.

Also, new official tweet in English about the change: https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/724536345561952256

Brocken

Banned
What if they launch a new console in the next years e this would be the last bastion of japanese gaming ?

I mean, a console with all the japanes third parties on board.

Rephin

I'm liking this new direction they're taking.

And by new direction I mean taking back their old direction.

JMTHEFOX

Seeing the old motto made the childhood inside me shed tears of joy.

SNK Playmore is dead. Long live SNK Playmore. All hail the new SNK.

Hopefully they will bring most of their old titles to Steam and PS4 (beyond Metal Slug and KOF). Hell, I don't mind some ports on Xbox One but that is a huge pipe dream.

Loona

What if they launch a new console in the next years e this would be the last bastion of japanese gaming ?

I mean, a console with all the japanes third parties on board.

Hightly unlikely - although I really like the idea of them joining forces with Sega for something like that, given their common history on that field, and the fact that their last efforts, the Dreamcast and NeoGeo Pocker Color could be connected to each other...

I'd rather have those 2 making a crossover than another CvS, really...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Is there an explanation for this?
Beyonce crying: Orochi is real.

Someone at Ledo Millennium really likes SNK and their brand power!
Gotta update my avatar later today! :3

Top Bottom