• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #293 - Mirror's Edge

Featured
Mirror's Edge, includes Q&A with Christofer Emgård [Ben Maxwell]
Collected works: Tetsuya Mizuguchi [Simon Parkin]
Profile of Toca Boca [Nathan Brown]
The Making of... Axiom Verge [Edge]
Studio profile: Dontnod Entertainment [Ben Griffin]
Time Extend: Fable II [Chris Schilling]

Previewed
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Gears of War 4
Super Hyper Cube
Astroneer
Paragon
Return of the Obra Dinn

Reviewed
Quantum Break [7] / Xbox One includes post script with Sam Lake
Adrift [6] / PC, Rift includes post script with Adam Orth
Star Fox Zero [7]
EVE: Valykrie [5] / Rift
Chronos [6]
Ratchet & Clank [6]
Hyper Light Drifter [9] / PC
Dead Secret [6] / Rift
Lucky's Tale [6]
Final Approach [4] / Vive
Job Simulator [7] / Vive
Trackmania Turbo [8] / PS4
Salt & Sanctuary [6] / PS4

subscription info / scores archive

#294 on sale May 26. teaser is a black feather on a white blue background.

Requests for more info welcome but no guarantees.

Nibel

z081vx8.jpg

Robiin

More people need to play Hyper Light Drifter, it is fantastic. I'm going back to it after Dark Souls 3, but from the 3 hours I played it is definitely worth the asking price.

krang

The opening editorial is talking about their experience of vomiting at different games over the years. They do say that it is difficult to hold it against a game when many readers won't experience motion sickness. But it is a new challenge to talk about.

Well then that needs to be discussed independently of the game. I know people who genuinely feel ill playing (non-VR) FPS games - but you don't see Edge scoring those down because of it.

Seriously..... ?

lol.

This game is one of the best exclusives on the PS4 and 6 ?

6 in EDGE is a competent but not great game. Rather than just lol at the score, maybe ask why they gave it that mark rather than dismissing it because it doesn't meet your expectations. Sorry to call you out specifically but it's the same shit in every review thread.

EDIT: 7 is a GOOD score for Starfox

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
The opening editorial is talking about their experience of vomiting at different games over the years. They do say that it is difficult to hold it against a game when many readers won't experience motion sickness. But it is a new challenge to talk about.

That's really unfair unless it's a game that badly handles the VR. If the reviewer can't stomach it, they should find someone who can.

I can see a 6 for Ratchet. They use the whole scale, so it's not like a 6 from IGN. A lot of the weapons are getting stale after having been in several of the games, and it doesn't do anything new. It's very competently made but not exciting.

I really liked it but seems fair enough.

FYI the first page editorial is nothing to do with the EVE review. So you'd have to read it to know if they're holding anything against any game. But I think it's important to bear in mind.
This score seems very generous based on what I have played of the game. How did they motivate the score in the review?
Just seems like they really liked how it was put together. Dense, intricate world full of secrets. The difficulty and presentation really sunk its teeth into them I think.

i remember when edge did a cover on mirror's edge and the screenshots were literally just first-person views of an empty room but it didn't matter because they were so excited. i think it was the first coverage it got anywhere.

then the final game got a 5/10. each to their own, etc.

I need to read the review obviously, but a 6 for Salt and Sanctuary seems very harsh; especially considering how fond they are of the Souls series. It's got superb combat, amazing level design, great boss and enemy design, lots of depth and variation in how you can play, and it's incredible value as well. I would be interested to read their review on it.

kapowza

Seriously..... ?

lol.

This game is one of the best exclusives on the PS4 and 6 ?

how many extra points should exclusives get?

i remember when edge did a cover on mirror's edge and the screenshots were literally just first-person views of an empty room but it didn't matter because they were so excited. i think it was the first coverage it got anywhere.

Hehe, that's a pretty good representation of my experience with the game. Played the demo at a show and was telling everyone it's the New Mario 64 and a total gamechanger, got the final game and I was all like 'ffffffffffuuuuuuu'

3, Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty got [8]
1, 2, Gladiator and a Crack in Time got [7]
All 4 One also got a [6] for comparison.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It sucks that Edge doesn't offer reviews on their website (or even review summaries), because people always display anger in these threads about the game scores without being able to read the reviews and understand the meaning behind them.

It sucks that Edge doesn't offer reviews on their website (or even review summaries), because people always display anger in these threads about the game scores without being able to read the reviews and understand the meaning behind them.
Occasional bits are being posted on Kotaku UK instead of GamesRadar but yeah it's a bit weird their online presence is little more than a bot.

3, Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty got [8]
1, 2, Gladiator and a Crack in Time got [7]
All 4 One also got a [6] for comparison.

I haven't played the new R&C and I don't want to argue about numbers, but I think A Crack in Time is a terrific game and the best in the series. I guess an issue with the series as a whole might be the over-familiarity with each new instalment.

scoobs

Or, just someone who didn't enjoy that game as much as you did?

For $40 I have a really hard time imagining someone thinking this is a bad video game. Honestly, a 6 out of 10 is ridiculous for this game at this price point. It just is.

For $40 I have a really hard time imagining someone thinking this is a bad video game. Honestly, a 6 out of 10 is ridiculous for this game at this price point. It just is.

Price is not indicative of quality. I have yet to play the game because I got tired of the series during the PS3 era, glad to know the fans seem to be digging it though.

glaurung

Weird scores. Surely the grades for R&C and Star Fox got swapped somehow?

R&C is endearing, glorious and true to its heart. Finished it already, doing challenge mode now. Star Fox is a reheated turd as far as I can see. Feeling fairly indifferent about Salt and Sanctuary, that game did not click with me.

Top Bottom