• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Jim Sterling Uses Brilliant Workaround For YouTube's Copyright Bullshit

Zetta

First thing I thought when I saw this was that it'd be pretty funny if all companies decided to let Erasure get the copyright lol.

Vibranium

Banned
95.gif

Next step: during MGSV footage, a pop up ad is displayed that gets money just from those seconds, then a different ad during GTAV footage, and so on and so on.

PtM

Banned
Well, it's not a flawless system. Nobody gets any money, including Jim. The catch here is that Jim is willing to give ad revenue up for a better viewing experience.
No, Jim never had ads up. Those only came with those scummy content IDs.
Has anyone tried to sue Nintendo for this? I don't see how showing footage for review or commentary purposes would not fall under Fair Use.
They have the money to bleed you out in court.

Venom.

My experience with YouTube is that if you have a video with multiple items that have been registered for copyright, YT only recognises the first one it finds.

Early last year I made a video with a compilation of game clips. A Street Fighter IV trailer got Content ID'd. So I remixed the trailer and sound and uploaded it again - only to find the soundtrack for The Witness got ID.d. After I replaced that the soundtrack for Rime! But it would only ever show me one Content ID claim at a time. I don't know if Jim's experience means things have changed since then.

The best.

I wonder if YouTube will try to fix it's system to sort this out since they actually seem to lose money because of it

Oh no, one youtuber found a weird trick, we'll have to reinvent everything!

Jim can do this because he has Patreon dollars. Users who are actually making money from Youtube won't be doing it any time soon.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I get it up to the point of "marked non-monetized".

Is he saying that videos with MGS5, GTA5 and the other game have the publishers of said games find them and instead of trying to mark them as their own to get money, they simply tag the video as non-monetized (not allowed to get as revenue because it's the publishers IP)?

And once any publisher marks a video as non-monetized, no other publisher is allowed to try and monetize it?

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont get it. Does Nintendo and Take Two gets the money instead of WMG? Or does Nintendo and Take Two flag the video so that ads cant be shown? And when WMG tries to monitize it (by adding ads to the video), they cant?

I'd rather watch an ad than have half the video be completely random footage from something he's not even talking about. That jimquisition video might as well have been audio only. He's lowering the quality of his product to spite some people.

Keasar

Fucking Jim Sterling, Son.
Brilliant stuff.

I'd rather watch an ad than have half the video be completely random footage from something he's not even talking about. That jimquisition video might as well have been audio only. He's lowering the quality of his product to spite some people.

Uhm.

jonw.gif

You're not in a Jimquisition video to watch video, you're primarily there to listen to his rants about a topic. So why did you care that he decided to (hilariously) troll some companies because of a actually good reason (to fuck with the Youtube copyright system) and entertain us?

gamerMan

I edited the title as I couldn't fit in the full thing as well as mentioning Jim.
I can see this being a trend that catches on! :D

This is silly. All he did was manage to run no ads on the video. What's the point? I guess if you are making 10K per month on Patreon, you could do this but for everyone else it accomplishes nothing.

So you'd rather watch an ad that has nothing to do with what he's talking about, than watch footage that has nothing to do with what he's talking about?

Good for him I guess.

That's a weird comparison when an ad is much shorter in length than the actual video.

I guess a better comparison would be "would he rather break the flow of the video by having an ad playing on him or have sterling continue his video with funny pictures for a couple of seconds."

-Horizon-

I guess a better comparison would be "would he rather break the flow of the video by having an ad playing on him or have sterling continue his video with funny pictures for a couple of seconds."

If the ads pop up in the middle then all the more power to him, those are the worst ads.

PtM

Banned
Every Jimquisition might. It's a stealth podcast, really.

Good for him I guess.

That's a weird comparison when an ad is much shorter in length than the actual video.

Potentially. I don't watch Jimquisition that much, but it's one of those sorts of shows where I can zone in and out of actually watching it whilst still listening anyway. A lot of episodes he's done have video of little relevance to what he's talking about anyway.

Ads just delay things and make them take longer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jim loses his channel for this.

Google are really strict on things like this, and intentionally attempting to manipulate the workings of this service seems like the kinda' thing that would get your account suspended at the very least.

Perhaps not though, we'll see.

Top Bottom