• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Capcm only cares about classic Mega Man?

I like Mega Man.

But it feels like Capcom seems to think people only like classic Mega Man.

I happen to think Mega Man Zero series is the best Mega Man series. They've released a collection of the NES Mega Man games, but for some reason can't do the same treatment for X, Zero, and ZX series. I think it's amazing that we haven't had a collection with every Mega Man title on it yet.

Even when talking about making more Mega Man, people only ever think of a hypothetical Mega Man 11 for the most part. Although, sometimes they chime in for a Legends 3 as well but we know that won't happen.

Is there a reason for this beyond popularity? I mean, I prefer classic Mega Man to the X series, but even I can't understand they seem to ignore than series beyond X Collection on ps2 and X Maverick Hunter.

Thoughts?

Sephzilla

There's probably more nostalgia for NES era Mega Man compared to X or the others, even if Mega Man X and X2 are the superior games. That being said, I'd love to see Capcom make a 16-bit Mega Man X9

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
We didn't have a new classic Mega Man game from 1996* to 2008.

In fact I remember the days when Capcom did everything and anything Mega Man except classic.

EDIT: Well, 1998* if you count Megaman & Bass.

Zomba13

Does Capcom really care about any Mega Man? Mega Men? Mega Mans?

I mean, the only thing recently is the legacy collection and, not to sound like I don't appreciate the work put into it, is just a collection of the older games emulated well. And of course Nintendo would choose the classic variety for Smash (and Amiibos, and then the gold Mega Man Amiibo is just the same mould).

inner-G

Banned
As someone who grew up in the NES era (and is old), I only really care about MM1-3 as far as Mega Man games go.

Megaman Volnutt gets quite a bit of representation in fighting games but generally Capcom don't care about any form of Mega Man. The best thing Mega Man has done this decade is being in Smash. Mega Man 9 and 10 are the only love Mega Man has recieved recently which is classic Mega Man I guess.

redcrayon

I like Mega Man.

But it feels like Capcom seems to think people only like classic Mega Man.

I happen to think Mega Man Zero series is the best Mega Man series. They've released a collection of the NES Mega Man games, but for some reason can't do the same treatment for X, Zero, and ZX series. I think it's amazing that we haven't had a collection with every Mega Man title on it yet.

Even when talking about making more Mega Man, people only ever think of a hypothetical Mega Man 11 for the most part. Although, sometimes they chime in for a Legends 3 as well but we know that won't happen.

Is there a reason for this beyond popularity? I mean, I prefer classic Mega Man to the X series, but even I can't understand they seem to ignore than series beyond X Collection on ps2 and X Maverick Hunter.

Thoughts?
The Zero collection on DS is great?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Megaman Volnutt gets quite a bit of representation in fighting games but generally Capcom don't care about any form of Mega Man. The best thing Mega Man has done this decade is being in Smash. Mega Man 9 and 10 are the only love Mega Man has recieved recently which is classic Mega Man I guess.
"Recently"

I mean at this point Mega Man is as dead as Samus.

Jinketsu

Aren't they planning on an anime with the artstyle of MM in the Legacy Collection art? Or am I pulling memories out of my ass?

SkyOdin

I think this is true only of certain demographics/age groups. There are a of younger people who grew up playing the Mega Man Battle Network games instead, and probably have more love/nostalgia for those than the Classic Mega Man games.

As for Capcom, I think the issue is more that they don't know exactly what to do with the Mega Man franchise as a whole.

Let's be honest: X is basically "too cool for school" Mega Man (and always overshadowed by Zero thanks to Inafune's bias) while other Mega Men (?) are too obscure... and not that different from X stylistically. So, for most of people, there are only two versions of Mega Man: the classic one and the obsure proportional/human one.

Aren't they planning on an anime with the artstyle of MM in the Legacy Collection art? Or am I pulling memories out of my ass?

They're making a show, but there hasn't been any art or anything shown. Could look like the Legacy collection art, but I for one hope not.

Don't think they know how to reimagine mega man and think if they do push forward with mega man, a classic design would be smarter.

Stuart444

I think this is true only of certain demographics/age groups. There are a of younger people who grew up playing the Mega Man Battle Network games instead, and probably have more love/nostalgia for those than the Classic Mega Man games.

I'm 27 and I have more love for MMBN personally.

:( Wish it would get a reboot but oh well.

Astral Dog

Yeah, i dont like it either, its like they only use the classic series to sell nostalgia and cheap ish cash ins, as "fanservice" from Megaman 9 and 10, that original Megaman Cover on MvC, and everything else to just cover that they dont care about the franchise or dont know what to do with it.

But then to me the more fondly Mega Man is Zero/ZX and BN/SF

Since when does Capcom care about Mega Man at all?

kyImcST.jpg

Sephzilla

Mega Man X feels like the one who gets shafted the most, in my opinion. He doesn't get nearly the nostalgia love that classic Mega Man gets plus it felt like Mega Man X straight up lost the starring role in his own series to Zero. Shit, Zero even got into Marvel Vs Capcom before X.

Cimarron

Capcom doesn't. But even though they are dated the classic Mega Man games are generally held in higher regard than the other series.
And I agree!

pizzacat

Banned
You guys are questioning this yet they allowed him to be in smash, had a collection of games come out for him recently, that's more than you can say for other capcom joints that are better than lame ass megaman

And they only care about classic because the rest of them are like sonic fanfic levels of nope

RowdyReverb

I think a MMX version of the Legacy Collection would be awesome, at least for X through X5. It might be a bit more challenging to develop than the recent one though because the X games are not all on the same platform.

Beth Cyra

Thankfully this doesn't apply outside of gaming.

X is getting tons of love in several forms and even got the amazing X figure last year.

Plus Capcom doesn't only care in the gaming space given Crossover was heavily based on X as well.

Still if like to see more collection based love for the other series.

Yeah, i dont like it either, its like they only use the classic series to sell nostalgia and cheap ish cash ins, as "fanservice" from Megaman 9 and 10, that original Megaman Cover on MvC, and everything else to just cover that they dont care about the franchise or dont know what to do with it.

But then to me the more fondly Mega Man is Zero/ZX and BN/SF

I'd like a ZX and ZXA remake that fixes my issues with the games.

L Thammy

I'd like a ZX and ZXA remake that fixes my issues.

Video games can't replace therapy.

Because you said "my issues" instead of "my issues with the game", which can also be read as... man, now I'm so concerned that I'm going to be accidentally insulting that I'm explaining the joke.

Legacy collection is a step in the right direction, but it's still significantly less effort than Capcom put in literally 10 years prior with the Anniversary collection.

rardk64

Capitalizing on nostalgia to an extent I guess.

It reminds me somewhat of how the new DK games seem to look only to the first game for inspiration, not the second & third which introduced some different elements. I'd love to see the darker feel of DKC2 reimagined. Even DK64 shouldn't be ignored.

Capitalizing on nostalgia to an extent I guess.

It reminds me somewhat of how the new DK games seem to look only to the first game for inspiration, not the second & third which introduced some different elements. I'd love to see the darker feel of DKC2 reimagined. Even DK64 shouldn't be ignored.

It's incredible too because DKC2 is better than DKC1.

Top Bottom