• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0429-050116 - Winter (Soldier & Super Friends) is coming... does $200m+ WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Mexico is Marvel territory. My anecdotal: went today and the lines were insane. (It's like people don't know you can buy online and reserve seats ;P). And actually, BvS did really well in its first weekend from what I can remember. That BvS number is definitely top 15ish ever, it's just anything Avengers-related is beyond absurd.

Oops, top of the page quote:

To help dispel the "hope it makes it to $1B talk for Civil War, here are the individual territory numbers that BOM has listed, along with the first weekend numbers for BvS in the same territories.

Code:
			Civil War	Batman v Superman
Australia		$10,900,000	$9,884,250
Brazil			$12,300,000	$10,607,133
France			$10,100,000	$8,600,000
Germany			$8,100,000	$6,949,925
Hong Kong		$6,800,000	$3,975,478
Japan			$7,100,000	$3,288,349
Malaysia		$5,100,000	$5,100,000
Mexico			$20,600,000	$12,256,287
Philippines		$7,500,000	$3,700,000
South Korea		$28,900,000	$8,486,121
Spain			$4,400,000	$3,182,560
Taiwan			$8,100,000	$5,250,000
Thailand		$6,000,000	$2,256,551
United Kingdom		$20,500,000	$20,671,286

TOTAL			$156,400,000	$104,207,940

Openings between the films are comparable in Europe (where BvS benefited from Christian holidays), but Asia and Mexico isn't even close.

Civil War's first international weekend was about $60M lower than BvS' first weekend. And that's without China, Italy, Argentina, New Zealand, Russia, India, and a bunch of smaller territories which added over $80M to BvS' first international weekend of ~$260M. If Civil War had a global launch like BvS did, I think it would have landed somewhere between $300-350M internationally (add whatever it does in its domestic OW to that).

BvS went on to have extremely shitty legs. However, it still managed to make ~$540M overseas.

If we lowball the domestic gross at $400M, Civil War only needs to beat that by $60M to hit $1B. Not much more than the opening weekend difference listed in the handful of territories above.

Over $1.5B is much more likely than under $1B.

kswiston

South Korea loves the MCU in general. All of the films since the first Avengers have made more than BvS there save Guardians of the Galaxy (which managed a little over $10M). However, I think that South Koreans just don't really care for space opera stuff, since The Force Awakens barely beat Ant-Man there.

Dai101

Banned
Mexico is Marvel territory. My anecdotal: went today and the lines were insane. (It's like people don't know you can buy online and reserve seats ;P). And actually, BvS did really well in its first weekend from what I can remember. That number is definitely top 15ish ever, it's just anything Avengers-related is beyond absurd.

Oops, top of the page quote:

Thursday midnight premier was insane. Tickets sold out in the 4 screens it was shown.

Lines for the conssesion stands were HUGE. Collectible cups and other stuff are sold out in most theaters up to today.

Slayven

South Korea loves the MCU in general. All of the films since the first Avengers have made more than BvS there save Guardians of the Galaxy (which managed a little over $10M). However, I think that South Koreans just don't really care for space opera stuff, since The Force Awakens barely beat Ant-Man there.

The Amadeus Cho movie will be insane there

kurahador

The Amadeus Cho movie will be insane there

Heck yeah.
E90bOUp.jpg

And yet Interstellar was a huge hit in South Korea. 2nd biggest foreign market after China.

That's not really the same thing.

It's not, but it's an interesting box office story. I don't know what happened there. SK is a decent market for more hard sci-fi, but Interstellar doubled the performance of films like Gravity, The Martian, and even Inception. Not sure why that film in particular was so successful.

Edge of Tomorrow also over-performed in SK relative to its total foreign gross, but I'd attribute that more to Tom Cruise's star power in Asia.

Bluth54

Batman v Superman made $863M. Isnt that good?

It's about $150 million less then the last 2 solo Batman films worldwide. It not only has Batman and Superman in it, the first live action team up of two of the most recognizable super heroes besides maybe Spider-Man but also has Wonder Woman, who's also very well known and in her first live action movie. It's going to be beaten in the US by Deadpool, an R rated Superhero movie staring a superhero who was basically unknown to the general public before the movie came out.

It might make money in the end but do you really think WB is happy how BvS did? Especially since they wanted it to be the big kick off to their own Marvel style cinematic universe and yet it seemed to be rejected by not only critics, but given the huge drops it got after the opening weekend the general public as well.

It's about $150 million less then the last 2 solo Batman films worldwide. It not only has Batman and Superman in it, the first live action team up of two of the most recognizable super heroes besides maybe Spider-Man but also has Wonder Woman, who's also very well known and in her first live action movie. It's going to be beaten in the US by Deadpool, an R rated Superhero movie staring a superhero who was basically unknown to the general public before the movie came out.

It might make money in the end but do you really think WB is happy how BvS did? Especially since they wanted it to be the big kick off to their own Marvel style cinematic universe and yet it seemed to be rejected by not only critics, but given the huge drops it got after the opening weekend the general public as well.
Not to mention how expensive BvS was compared to Deadpool.

BumRush

I am going to stick with $200M for now since we have had a lot of recent Hollywood films come in lower than expected, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it surpass Age of Ultron, which was in the mid $230s.

Awesome, thanks. $200M is still just insane. After one of these previous threads I went back and looked at some of China's historical #s. It's staggering how much they've gone up!

Is there still a path to the billion for Zootopia? It's an isolated, anecdotal report, but I went to see it again in the UK today and the cinema was rammed- I was amazed at how much interest there was a month and change since release, albeit on a bank holiday.

On a personal note, I'd be delighted if it made the billion- it'd handily be the best of the club, as well as the best big animated film since Pixar was at full chat.

GhaleonEB

Is there still a path to the billion for Zootopia? It's an isolated, anecdotal report, but I went to see it again in the UK today and the cinema was rammed- I was amazed at how much interest there was a month and change since release, albeit on a bank holiday.

On a personal note, I'd be delighted if it made the billion- it'd handily be the best of the club, as well as the best big animated film since Pixar was at full chat.

It will be close. Last weekend it was at $907m world wide, after this weekend it's at $931m, so it earned $24m. It will be around until it hits video in a bit over a month and legs are still pretty crazy; Jungle Book didn't hit it very hard, so the big question is how much it gets whacked from Civil War.

Jungle Book weekend actual: $43.71M, giving it the 6th largest 3rd weekend of all time, and down only 29% from last weekend.

This movie is such a freaking monster right now.

PSqueak

Banned
Mexico is Marvel territory. My anecdotal: went today and the lines were insane. (It's like people don't know you can buy online and reserve seats ;P).

Launching yearly marvel movies on "Children Day" ensures parents will take their kids to them securing all that dough.

3N16MA

Banned
Wow. I thought Keanu was going to be Hangover huge.

You thought it was going to gross nearly 280M domestic?

Funny thing about the Hangover franchise is that the first film was a beast when it came to weekend drops and had amazing legs. The next two were went in the complete opposite direction and the drops and legs became worse and worse. Audiences turned on it pretty fast.

ArmGunar

$850M is locked for TJB, that's awesome

Sure Disney wished release TJB at least 1 week earlier
TJB will fight against another Disney hit now

3N16MA

Banned
Disney is going to have two 1B films that they had no clue were going to hit 1B. Zootopia was looking to fall into BH6 territory and JB might have done Maleficent numbers at best.

TheChamp

Not sure on Civil War compaired to Avengers:AoU numbers but I would bet on it being larger every single day at work as been stupidly busy sell outs minus front row seats

GhaleonEB

Disney, all-day, every day.

15779281.gif

Zootopia's US and WW came in higher, too. Up $300k in the US vs. estimates, and $1.4m higher WW, to $932.8 vs. $931.4 yesterday. The last two weekend drops were 19.2%, and 19.0%; for the full week it was down 17%.

It's like they're adding little flips and twirls to each routine and still sticking the landing.

BumRush

The Jungle book already outgrossed Cinderella, Oz and Maleficient :O

I really don't see an end in sight for Disney's overall success (not that I want that, their output has been amazing). If live action remakes hits a wall? Marvel will be fine. Or star wars. Or animation. It's unbelievable, Everything is just working.

I really don't see an end in sight for Disney's overall success (not that I want that, their output has been amazing). If live action remakes hits a wall? Marvel will be fine. Or star wars. Or animation. It's unbelievable, Everything is just working.

Nothing last forever. That said, I don't see Disney hurting for new franchises for at LEAST 20, maybe 30 years.

3N16MA

Banned
Assuming Zootopia, Jungle Book, Civil War all gross 1B, Disney would lay claim to the last 4 consecutive 1B earners. They would have had 7 of the last 11 1B earners since 2013. They have Finding Dory and Rogue One which are looking like 1B earners and Alice Through the Looking Glass and Moana have a shot.

kurahador

Jungle Book will hit a billion? The movie coming out pretty close to big releases. Even Disney's own Civil War will cut off its gross.

I still can't believe that garbage hit $1b ww.

3D hype man. I remember bringing my parents to cinema so that they could experience the 3D after missing out on Avatar.
Hang my head in shame ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom