• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at the Canadian Toys-R-Us Christmas catalogue for 1995

Savitar

Anyone remember those ads in comic books where you could buy and sell games for certain prices? And you could also get various items if you turned in enough games for certain points? It was kinda like the pre Gamestop/Ebgames before they ever did that. Was always fascinated byt it when I was younger due to how odd it was.

L Thammy

Dat Illusion of Gaia boxart.

And wow, Kirby is not angry.

Of course. It's Canadian Kirby.

I used to own Illusion of Gaia, I don't remember the boxart being that bad. Maybe I only had the cart?
Battle Clash on that ad! One of the best Super Scope games. Also, one of the only Super Scope games.

Tagyhag

And people whine about game prices being expensive today.

Here's your reality check folks, games are not only cheaper than ever, but they cost more to make as well.

mrmickfran

vVuwnGv.jpg

Bomba prices for Super Scope games!
EarthBound is a bargain at that price.

Colin Moriarty is right. Games have been the cheapest they've ever been in relation to other times in history.
Not at the moment though. In Gen VI, the highest priced games were $50. That's not including all the budget programs that the big 3 had.

Cipherr

That brief moment where the PSX came in and was able to lower game prices from the 95$ cartridges to $39.99 to $52.99 was almost like cheating. That shit was BEAUTIFUL for me and my friends working our little part time jobs after school.

Over time prices have gotten higher, but you still dont see $90+ on a shelf again yet. Its hidden in dlc.

And people whine about game prices being expensive today.

Here's your reality check folks, games are not only cheaper than ever, but they cost more to make as well.

Yep. Only a matter of time before something has to give. Im guessing it already is changing though. Add on content for extra cost.

Amalthea

Banned
Still remember having to shell out ridiculous amounts of money for N64 games. At least it made me careful to get mainly good stuff.

Gurish

lol at those prices, poor kids (and parents), with all the complaints we always hear today, things were much worse.

Lelcar

Yup. Back then we had to pay $96 for Super Mario RPG, and when FFVII came out I remember that being $117. Prices didn't get standardized, at least around me, until the mid PS2 era.

Bog

Junior Ace
I hope the drive by posters understand Canadian vs US prices. In the US, most of the SNES stuff topped out at $59, or $69 for the RPGs.

I hope the drive by posters understand Canadian vs US prices. In the US, most of the SNES stuff topped out at $59, or $69 for the RPGs.

Yep. Mid-late '90s is probably the weakest the Canadian dollar has ever been in my lifetime (born 1982).

Zekes!

I had Batman & Robin for the Genesis.

looks like canada is back at those prices

Yup. It's been a blessing in disguise for me though. Been more spending more time with the games I do buy full price, and have also been scooping up cheaper indie titles

I paid around 120 for Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III in the day. Okay, my parents did, but you know, Christmas!

Loved them both and beat them many times.
Your parents or the games?!

Damn.. Totally forgot SNES prices were this high back then.

Takao

Banned
Did Canadian Tire used to sell games? I could have sworn I got EarthBound from there, but maybe I remembered wrong.

I want to say they sold games up until last gen. My brother got our PSone from there and I remember getting a few PS2 games as well.

I remember paying well over $100 for Perfect Dark w/ expansion pak.

I also remember Pokemon Stadium was around $100, and my buddy paid nearly $120 for Superman 64. He was never the same after that...

Onemic

Man, I remember those times. My uncle bought me a variation of that game gear package(but with 94 olympics instead of NHL all-stars). Shit was expensive as fuck back then. Even though they're stupid high now, they wont touch the prices of SNES cartridges back then. 95 bucks for Doom?

I remember paying $99.99 for Super Street Fighter 2 SNES at Toys R Us. Chrono Trigger and FF3 were also that price, as were a lot of N64 games a couple years later (mostly the third party ones). I remember paying $79.99 for FF7 at Walmart though.

Dishwalla

Banned
And this is why I only owned like 12 games for my SNES as a kid, didn't play a ton of games until SNES carts could be found in EB Games/Game Crazy bins for a few bucks each.

Mupod

Did Canadian Tire used to sell games? I could have sworn I got EarthBound from there, but maybe I remembered wrong.

it's where my dad got all my NES games as a kid. I bought some game boy games there.

Around when they started to phase them out they had some good sales on stuff including PC games. The copy of Lands of Lore I still have was from canadian tire.

AaronMT86

Consumer Distributing! I remember the catalogs. 200 page catalog and I would circle all the toys and video games I wanted for my birthday and then dump the catalog in front of my parents.

cameron

They definitely did. As a kid during the SNES/Genesis era, I used to hang out in the electronics section and window shop.

Top Bottom