• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critically acclaimed games that just do not click for you?

Recall

Dark and Demon Souls.

I lack the patience or ability to overcome the tense moments and I don't think im the brightest when it comes to learning enemy attack patterns and knowing when to or not to strike without leaving myself wide open to constantly die.

zoukka

Uncharted 1-3.

Played and finished all three and never understood the widespread critical acclaim these games have. They're not bad games from a technical standpoint, but their 'cinematic' game play is so incredibly mediocre and shallow.

Repetitive, highly scripted, linear game play isn't for me but still I finished all three because the voice acting and their admittedly over the top stories kept me interested enough to want to see them through the end. One play through is all I'll ever need of these games.

Yeah this. From a gameplay/level design point of view they are 5/10 games at best. The incredible presentation is what keeps them afloat.

jogu

Persona 4 golden, 5 hours in, does this get any better? Why is this so praised?

Last of us, seriously, good game but nothing special really.

+Okami, new tomb raider

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Skyrim, I bought it at full price because my friends assured me it was amazing but I lasted 6 hours before dumping it.

The_Lump

Banned
The Last of Us

Bland shooter with a unimaginative story. However VO and cinematic direction is world class.

Came to post this almost word for word.

Similarly, Uncharted. Looks beautiful, exciting story and fun at first.....but I just find it so linear and repetitive.
I'm starting to think it was all based on a cancelled concept for "Crash Bandicoot; The Next Generation" ;)

HBx2000

BioShock Infinite, I've completed it, but only because my friends loved it and were constantly saying: Keep playing, it will be good.

And then the game ended. They should have called this game Call of Duty Infinite, because I found it very repetitive.

I found it also included the most annoying character in the world for me: Elizabeth.

WITHE1982

So far it's Shadow Of Mordor.

I'm currently trying to get into it for the second time and I just cannot for the life of me see how this won GOTYs. Without the nemesis system it's just a poor man's Assassin's Creed rip-off. I'm around 8 hours in and I'm just finding myself aimlessly wandering around fighting hoards of Orcs by tapping two buttons and map filling.

Out of all the games this current gen this was the one I wanted to like more than any other given the subject matter but I'm just hating it.

I'm hoping it clicks sooner rather than later or it's getting shelved again.

obeast

My "WTF are you thinking" departure from critical orthodoxy is finding Dragon Age: Origins dull, ugly, and, with the exception of some clever party banter, poorly written.

It's my least favorite of the 3 Dragon Age games, and I say that fully acknowledging all the problems with DA 2 and DAI.

Widge

Oh this was KOTOR for me. And Dragon Age:Origins too.

I always feel that I am scrabbling around in combat, just about getting through on items and medi-paks.

I think I'm missing something vital in my gameplay here because it obviously isn't a bad game, lauded etc, but I just struggle with it every time.

The Witcher 3. Just couldn't get passed how clunky and janky the combat was and it completely killed the experience. Same thing with KOTOR, since it was mentioned above.

Final Fantasy IX.

I love VII and VIII and X
-2, I'm trying to get in to X still
. however I just couldn't find enjoyment out of it. Seemed like you really needed to grind early on to get anywhere in the game. I always say I will go back to it, but never get very far.

Farcry series (Specifically 3 onward)

I love Blood Dragon, its great fun, the map is a good size and there is enough in it to make it fun. The mainline series not so much, just massive open world with towers etc to climb, little challenge it feels... barren for open world games...

TRios Zen

Critically acclaimed game in a genre that I enjoy, that does not click with me = Uncharted 3.

I've started that game 3 different times (twice on PS3 and once on the remaster collection) and I can't finish it - it bores the hell out of me. I don't know what exactly it is, as I love Nathan Drake as a character and would put Uncharted 1 in my top 5 games of last gen.

Her Story

I like stories that leave rooms for readers to interpret, so I think the story is fine. But the story-telling of this game is atrocious. Yes, the concept is new, but it essentially breaks a complete story into hundreds of fragments that butchered the pacing. I just can't see the whole picture without frustratingly rewinding video clips that are very difficult to be found due to the system. Overall, I can see the appeal of this "game", but it is simply not fun to "play" through it. I guess narrative-driven games are really not my cup of tea.

Almost all of Bethesda's games post Morrowind have been pretty much awful and I just don't understand the appeal of the modern fallout and elder scrolls.

keero16

Neo Member
Banjo games. I don't hate them, but I don't really get why everyone is so in love with them. Just not really my thing I guess.

Metal Gear after 1 (though I still yet to try MGSV, which looks interesting due to the change up in design)
Dragon Age 1 and Neverwinter Nights. I can see why people like these games from a mechanical standpoint but far too generic and dull for me.
Xenosaga

Witcher 3. Played it near launch and wanted to die because of Geralt's clunkiness. Recently started it up again and even after all these patches, it still feels like garbage. Story must be fucking incredible for people to have given it all the praise it got.

SenkiDala

- Oblivion / Skyrim. To me those games are just boring, and I dislike the gameplay (the level of the player scalling on the level of the ennemis is just one of the worst idea of game design ever).

- Killzone

- Banjo & Kazooie/Tooie

- The Division

- Assassins Creed

- Halo 4 (disliked it a lot lot lot)

- Smash Bros

- Pokémon

- Viewtiful Joe

- Sonic on Megadrive, hated those games

- Zelda Phantom Hourglass

- Minecraft

- Forza series

- Animal Crossing

- Devil May Cry the original series (really liked the reboot though)

And so much more but I can't remember about them right now.

ghostjoke

Banned
Halo (at least 1 and 2): gameplay had no impact. Doesn't help that it popularised so many mechanics I hate that went on to infest modern FPS like the plague.

The Witness: every connotation of one bad puzzle that became a cake walk as soon as I realised that the most convoluted solution was almost always the solution. The environmental stuff and extra stuff were basically just hidden object puzzles. Add in pretentious wankery and I'm beginning to wonder if Braid was as good as i remember. It's never going to stop hurting how much hope I had for this game.

God of War: I can see the appeal and feel I should like it more than I do, but it doesn't click.

Greddleok

So far it's Shadow Of Mordor.

I'm currently trying to get into it for the second time and I just cannot for the life of me see how this won GOTYs. Without the nemesis system it's just a poor man's Assassin's Creed rip-off. I'm around 8 hours in and I'm just finding myself aimlessly wandering around fighting hoards of Orcs by tapping two buttons and map filling.

The nemesis system is the game. If you're struggling to enjoy the game without engaging with that mechanic, you're going to have a bad time.

It's a solid 7/10 for me. It won so many GOTY awards because there was fuck all else out, and something had to win.

KooopaKid

Banned
SoulBorne whatever. Same basic combat over the course of 4 games. Wait for an opening and strike, rinse and repeat. The number of moves is actually quite limited (Roll, weak attack, strong attack, shield, counterstrike more or less).
Why should I care about killing enemies after enemies when the combat itself isn't fun or deep but just tense because of the damage the ennemies do?

CronoShot

All IMO of course

1. Literally any Rockstar open world game. Fun to dick around in, but the actual game parts bore me to tears.

2. Uncharted series. They're pretty fun games, but I don't go crazy for them. Almost the definition of an 8/10 game to me, and certainly not GOTY material.

Aranjah

Souls series. I get where the fun is and I see how remarkable these games are in terms of design and atmosphere, but I'm truly horrible at video games and the amount of time it would take me to "git gud" and really enjoy playing them is just too much.

And GTA series in general. There's nothing particularly appealing to me in role playing a criminal.

Grand Theft Auto V and Rocket League.
Yes, these, very much.

Also, as a big JRPG fan I have tried to get into WRPGs to the same degree since all RPGs are starting to chase those same design trends, and I just can't seem to. Dragon Age: Origins/Inquisition, Skyrim, Witcher 3. I keep saying I'll go back and finish them (made it < 10 hours in each of them), but I never actually feel like playing them. No, I don't want to do a million WoW-style filler quests before I can get to the story, and no I don't want to have to do all WoW crafting/gathering professions at once to be able to make the good potions/armor/weapons/etc. I just want to find/buy finished items and move on. I'm sure there's a good, epic story in there somewhere, but it's bogged down behind way too much filler for my tastes.

Fuchsdh

Half-Life 2 and The Witcher 2 are some big ones for me. While I appreciate some stylistic elements of HL2's storytelling, the atmosphere it sets up, and the groundbreaking nature of its physics and graphics... I'm utterly bored by its campaign, which just felt tedious and uninteresting to me, complete with a mute protagonist who dampens everything.

The Witcher 2's combat just feels too fiddly and punishing to me. 1HK enemies are never fun.

The Uncharted games are definitely "I play through this once and I'm done", which I think is usually a failing for $60 AAA games.

ogbg

SoulBorne whatever. Same basic combat over the course of 4 games. Wait for an opening and strike, rinse and repeat. The number of moves is actually quite limited (Roll, weak attack, strong attack, shield, counterstrike more or less).
Why should I care about killing enemies after enemies when the combat itself isn't fun or deep but just tense because of the damage the ennemies do?

Not trying to change your mind or anything but just as a point of fact there's also running attack, rolling attack, jumping attack, kick, backstab, and then one-handed and 2-handed variants of each attack

Clearos

GTA 3-5, Fallouts (1 & 2 were awesome)

Can't get into them. Try them just do ratings and friends recommendations but i get bored within a few hours.

Gutek

Zelda games - they just seem ill paced. I could forgive the slow pace, if they had a strong exploration component; but they don't. :(

Crash331

Monster Hunter.

Not because i think they are bad. It's because i feel i lost the opportunitty to get into them.
Much people say just play the last entry. But i feel that i'm losing something by not having played the old ones.

You really aren't missing much from a story or lore perspective, you are mostly just missing out on the knowledge of the culture and mechanics that many take for granted. It took me forever and lots of wiki reading to understand 4 ultimate. Once I figured out the basics, it got better, but I still felt like I didn't know a lot about how the game worked.

It didn't matter in the end, though, because games like Bloodborne and souls give me anxiety thinking about boss battles, and the whole point of MH is boss battles, so I eventually put it down.

Tripy73

The Last of US, It has totally bored me and the end was really too much.

Last-of-Us.jpg

PooBone

Call of Duty.

After 4 (and also 3) they all just felt mindless. The AI is still terrible monster closet spawn-fests, the stories are immediately forgettable. Just bleh.

joms5

I don't think it's ridiculous for someone to have disliked half a dozen out of hundreds of games that could be described as 'critically acclaimed', that seems like a poor understanding of the sheer numbers involved. You're somehow looking at it as them disliking everything popular, when really they are probably describing a tiny minority of the popular things they've played, and the entire premise of this thread is to point out the highly regarded stuff you don't get one with. Anyone who plays a lot of games, which describes a lot of Gaf, is going to have several from just the last decade, I don't see how that's unreasonable for someone playing half a dozen (or much more) highly regarded games a year.

To answer your question, I said I disliked Halo, Assassins Creed, Smash, Pokemon, GTA and TLOU (plus a couple of others) although to be fair I also pointed out the things I both disliked and thought was great about them. Off the top of my head I could easily list a hundred more 'critically acclaimed' games that I loved, but that wasn't the premise of this thread and would make a much longer post. I'd start with Xcom, Mario, Gears, Zelda, Killzone, Street Fighter, Total War, Valkyria Chronicles, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Ys, Mario Kart, Xenoblade, Trails, PvZ, Guacamelee, Shovel Knight, Mass Effect, Monster Hunter, Uncharted, but could go on (and often with multiple titles in each series) even from just the last decade or so.

Agree with you on just describing stuff as 'boring', rather than being a bit more specific.

I think it's also the hyperbole that people tend to resort to. Perfect example right here.

I don't like 90% of Nintendo 1st party games. They are trash to me.

I loved Galaxy though

Hey you don't like first party Nintendo games. Fine. Calling them trash. You are 100% wrong, and will always be wrong. I will even go as far as to say that Nintendo makes the best (meaning the most polished, visually impressive and diverse) games in the industry. I can't even remember the time a Nintendo game has had to release a day 1 patch. Almost every other game released today has released a patch at some point.

I don't like Super Mario Maker, I said it. But there's no way I can sit there and call it trash. You sound like a moron when you resort to such a word.

prag16

Banned
GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, Dragon Age: Inquisition: Didn't enjoy at all.

The Last of Us: Grossly overrated; 7/10 game I'd say, far inferior to UC2/3.

GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, Dragon Age: Inquisition: Didn't enjoy at all.

The Last of Us: Grossly overrated; 7/10 game I'd say, far inferior to UC2/3.

Funny, because I feel the opposite, I cant get into the Uncharted games - pushed myself through the first one, got bored halfway through the second - stopped when i realized I was playing for the next custscene. Last of Us, however, really clicked with me and is one of the few games I've played through the campaign multiple times. Has excellent multiplayer as well.

Steejee

BioShock Infinite, I've completed it, but only because my friends loved it and were constantly saying: Keep playing, it will be good.

And then the game ended. They should have called this game Call of Duty Infinite, because I found it very repetitive.

I found it also included the most annoying character in the world for me: Elizabeth.

Oooh that one is definitely one for me as well. I finished the game just to see how the story played out (I thought the ending was kinda silly), as I really didn't like the gameplay flow. I also turned the difficulty down after starting on hard as it seemed to do no more than make everything a bullet sponge.

Top Bottom